Oh Yeah QB Controversy

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

New Bobcat Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Oh Yeah QB Controversy

Post by New Bobcat Fan » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:21 am

Against the last two opponents, Adams just doesn't count, here are Kempts stats:
22/49 217 yds 44% 2td's 4 Int's 32yd LP 2 LOSSES

Hey Coach A, just think about it, consider for a moment that maybe the other guy should get a chance to start. Please.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: Oh Yeah QB Controversy

Post by cats2506 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:32 am

I heard Bell started today. How did he do?

I was in favor of Iddins last week but agree that it is very close. If anything today put it back to even to me, I can see more of what I think the coaches see in Kempt.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:09 am

I don't see much of a controversy at all. Iddins was 2-10 against Minni. Kempt played well. His last int was a tipped ball. I say that Kempt should get 80% of the reps against South Dakota. I'd split the remaining reps between Iddins and Desin. I still think that each week Desin should have his own package. Some rollouts and bootlegs to keep a defense on the ropes and to get a spark.

KEMPT IS THE MAN

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:28 am

cats2506 wrote:I heard Bell started today. How did he do?

I was in favor of Iddins last week but agree that it is very close. If anything today put it back to even to me, I can see more of what I think the coaches see in Kempt.

I saw that too. He even had very similar stats to Kempt for the season, so I guess we have been scoring more than I thought.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:11 am

I personally think that throwing Iddins in "during" the quarter doesn't help things at all. What should happen with these non-league games is Kempt start one half and Iddins start the next half.

This qb swapping during quarters just puts unnecessary pressure on the QBs.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

Platinumcat

Post by Platinumcat » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:41 am

True. But, do you think the QB position is still an audition? Or is Ash putting Iddins in to give him game time experience. But, he's putting him in under scenarios where he might have to enter the game if Kempt were to go down; i.e. in the middle of a quarter?

Oh, and I'm Jason Wiers, Platinum Property Management

bpcats
Member # Retired

Post by bpcats » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:33 am

I think that Coach Ash had a plan for the first 3 games on evaluating both Kempt and Ash and to see how they would respond in game situations. The problem he ran into that against Adams State it took awhile for our offensive line to settle down in the first game where everybody looked good once they did.

The next game we were getting trounced so bad and the qb's were under such tremendous pressure the whole game, it made both qb's look awful.

This last game was probably the first time that Coach Ash could get an honest evaluation of the qb's. From what I have seen is that Kempt has a tremendous quick release but his timing is still off with his receivers overall. Also if he gets banged around a little bit then he stops setting his feet when he throws and his passes go high etc. When Kempt gets in a rythm he could be dangerous. He does seem comfortable running the spread offense.

I have a gut feeling that if the Coaches let Iddins start the game and run with it, he would probably surprise us on how effective he could be. The only thing I worry about is that his passes sometimes don't all the zip they need and may get broken up.

Both of these qb's can be effective running our offense but I don't see that special quality yet the Lulay had when he played.

Billings Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Billings Cat » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:49 pm

94VegasCat wrote:I don't see much of a controversy at all. Iddins was 2-10 against Minni. Kempt played well. His last int was a tipped ball. I say that Kempt should get 80% of the reps against South Dakota. I'd split the remaining reps between Iddins and Desin. I still think that each week Desin should have his own package. Some rollouts and bootlegs to keep a defense on the ropes and to get a spark.

KEMPT IS THE MAN
I agree that a package with Desin would make sense like the Grizzlies did with Sampson a couple of years ago before he transferred to play for his father at MSU-Northern. It certainly makes the opponent take time preparing for one more thing to worry about. Maybe they're waiting for the conference games to begin?

DCC2MSU
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by DCC2MSU » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:06 pm

Billings Cat wrote:
94VegasCat wrote:I don't see much of a controversy at all. Iddins was 2-10 against Minni. Kempt played well. His last int was a tipped ball. I say that Kempt should get 80% of the reps against South Dakota. I'd split the remaining reps between Iddins and Desin. I still think that each week Desin should have his own package. Some rollouts and bootlegs to keep a defense on the ropes and to get a spark.

KEMPT IS THE MAN
I agree that a package with Desin would make sense like the Grizzlies did with Sampson a couple of years ago before he transferred to play for his father at MSU-Northern. It certainly makes the opponent take time preparing for one more thing to worry about. Maybe they're waiting for the conference games to begin?
I disagree. If Desin is primarily a receiver, leave him there and he will excel.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:04 pm

We really need to stop the rotation thing. Kempt was playing well at Minnesota and then Iddins comes in. By the time Iddins get squared away the game was over and Kempt comes back in. I know the decision was tough during campt but you made it. Kempt was the chose and should be able to play a full game. I hate rotating QB's and it really hurt us on Saturday.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

rtb

Post by rtb » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:26 pm

WYCAT wrote:We really need to stop the rotation thing. Kempt was playing well at Minnesota and then Iddins comes in. By the time Iddins get squared away the game was over and Kempt comes back in. I know the decision was tough during campt but you made it. Kempt was the chose and should be able to play a full game. I hate rotating QB's and it really hurt us on Saturday.
I agree and once you've picked your starter as Ash has repeated each game "Cody is our starter" shouldn't he be the guy to be leading the team in the 4th quarter when the game is close? I was disappointed with the decision to rotate Iddins in this week.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

Whisky_Ditch
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Whisky_Ditch » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:48 am

I love having a Desin package. That kind of stuff drives DC's crazy. It could be three plays, but those three plays you practice for five minutes, an opposing defense spends 15 on.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:31 pm

New Bobcat Fan wrote:Against the last two opponents, Adams just doesn't count, here are Kempts stats:
22/49 217 yds 44% 2td's 4 Int's 32yd LP 2 LOSSES

Hey Coach A, just think about it, consider for a moment that maybe the other guy should get a chance to start. Please.
I think most anyone who clicks on New Bobcat Fan's profile and reads his previous posts can pretty much piece together the motivation for his posts ... and it certainly doesn't appear to be a concern for the success of the MSU football team. It's more along the lines of justifying the decisions/paranoias of former player's parents.

A legitimate debate on the QBs is great ... but people trying to stir up "stuff" for their own personal ulterior motives is less than cool.

New Bobcat Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by New Bobcat Fan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:31 pm

Brad( "Tweedle"), don't act like the little whiny anal retentive guy that you are. I hate to burst your bubble, but I do follow the team and am rooting for one player in particular. If you have read my posts as you say, you know I have been to Montana on multiple occasions. I am not the only one with this opinion and others pointed out Kempts flaws at Oregon. The stats don't lie. Don't you have some numbers to crunch. The issue is real just like the two consecutive losses.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:43 pm

New Bobcat Fan wrote:Brad( "Tweedle"), don't act like the little whiny anal retentive guy that you are. I hate to burst your bubble, but I do follow the team and am rooting for one player in particular. If you have read my posts as you say, you know I have been to Montana on multiple occasions. I am not the only one with this opinion and others pointed out Kempts flaws at Oregon. The stats don't lie. Don't you have some numbers to crunch. The issue is real just like the two consecutive losses.
Which one player are you rooting for as you "follow" the team?

And do you really think that trying to insult me is really your best strategy at this point? It didn't seem to work so well for you when you tried to insult all of Bozeman in your last set of rants, and it really didn't seem to score many points when you insulted Coach Ash by suggesting that he was a liar.

New Bobcat Fan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by New Bobcat Fan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:51 pm

Sorry for the insult, semi humorous intentions. Do you think I would name a kid on the team after the vile way you guys attacked Bell and his family? I think not. My points are valid. Even with a legitimate RB, the QB position needs to be addressed for this team to be successful. Going into Conf play without established leadership and a consistent passing game will be really really bad Brad. Did you play or coach FB?

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:10 pm

Kempt is on the road to being a very good football player and quarterback. He just needs to dial a few more aspects of his game in and he'll be very, very tough. That's what these non-league games are for, getting the team ready for the games that count.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:11 pm

New Bobcat Fan wrote:Sorry for the insult, semi humorous intentions. Do you think I would name a kid on the team after the vile way you guys attacked Bell and his family? I think not. My points are valid. Even with a legitimate RB, the QB position needs to be addressed for this team to be successful. Going into Conf play without established leadership and a consistent passing game will be really really bad Brad. Did you play or coach FB?
Nobody attacked Bell. In fact, everyone supported Bell without exception. People criticized his father's comments. Please don't misrepresent what was actually said again.

That said, using that as an excuse for not saying what player you root for doesn't make much sense unless you think that your words would be an embarassment to the player you root for. And in that case, don't you think that should tell you that you shouldn't be saying them?

As for your question that is completely irrelevent to this conversation or anything relating to any coversations you and I have had, yes.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:11 pm

I just came back from Minnesota and there was no comparison between Kempt and Iddins. Kempt was very cool undr center or in the shotgun. he stood there under pressure and got some great passes off. His two interceptions were both tipped. the first was tipped by a d-lineman at the LOS, and his second was a little behind Boistick who tipped it up in the air and it was intercepted.

Iddins looked very tentative. He wqaitged too long to make a decision to throw or not and more often took a sack rather than throw the ball away. Kempt got rid of the ball into the ground down field when theire was no receiver open. Kempt looked like a D-1 QB....Iddins looked like a JC QB.

2024 Resume dominance

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:49 pm

Helcat72 wrote:I just came back from Minnesota and there was no comparison between Kempt and Iddins. Kempt was very cool undr center or in the shotgun. he stood there under pressure and got some great passes off. His two interceptions were both tipped. the first was tipped by a d-lineman at the LOS, and his second was a little behind Boistick who tipped it up in the air and it was intercepted.

Iddins looked very tentative. He wqaitged too long to make a decision to throw or not and more often took a sack rather than throw the ball away. Kempt got rid of the ball into the ground down field when theire was no receiver open. Kempt looked like a D-1 QB....Iddins looked like a JC QB.
Couldn't agree more. The differences were night and day in Minnesota and any doubts I had were erased on Saturday. Stop the rotation immediately. The tough decision that Ash and Co. made three weeks ago was the right one - now give him all of the support and I think he gets even better.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln