Jeff ****** Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jeff ****** Choate

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:33 pm

onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 pm
technoCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:43 am
@onceacat I honestly don't know what you want. We were competitive with Weber and ISU. We easily could have made a couple plays and won those games. Why do our wins get discredited because teams missed field goals? If they don't count why do we kick them? Why didn't we get the benefit of the doubt when we missed a ton last year? Why does beating a plus .500 team stopped counting because it was the Griz? When did a Griz win suddenly lose value in the first place? You seem to just keep moving the target for what would make you happy. I don't think any realistic fans thought we would win the big sky this year and probably only half thought we would make the playoffs. Let's just enjoy the rest of the year and be thankful that we have improved measurably every year since Choate has been here.
Mostly agree.

My point is just that we met minimum expectations. Which is great. But it's a far cry from "best coaching performance of all time". It feels like I'm the only one who remembers thinking playoff wins should be a given (not that we ever met those expectations).

I think there's a middle ground between me being critical of an OK season & people acting like this is a season for the ages. Bobbynotbob probably gets fired for going 7-4 in his third season....
Who said this was a season for the ages? It was a game for the ages and Coach Choate was masterful in the 2nd half. This is more about his coaching in Cat/Griz than on the season as a whole.

However as has been said time and again Choate took over a program in disarray with some talent and zero depth. I think most of us have started expecting the playoffs every year, but that wasn't very realistic in year 1 or 2 coming off a losing season with the star QB leaving the program. 6 months ago it was the expectation and because of all the craziness at the QB position it didn't seem as possible.

Find me another team in the BSC besides Weber who could have made this offense work and still make the playoffs, much less have a winning record. I don't think you can.

I've been critical of Choate throughout the season for several things, including the QB position. But guess what? He made it work and got us into the playoffs, much of which had to do with his fantastic coaching job on Saturday. It's also unfair to compare Boobys future to Choate's 3rd year when Booby took over a program that had just gone 7-4 and had a QB in his back pocket when he arrived.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:29 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:02 pm
While I’m on this thread I want to add this. There was no greater Ash supporter (vocally on this board) than me (kk and gsk could make an argument). I’m not here to take any of that back. But what I do want to say is that in year 3, my minimum expectation for Coach Choate was a winning season, without a win over the griz since he had already done it twice in a row (these things go back and forth).

With this win he goes way beyond my expectations. I have no problem with others having a different evaluation than I have, but as you can imagine, I’m a bit of a tough audience for someone replacing Ash. I’m proud of what Coach Choate has done with this team and it makes me feel proud to be a Bobcat!

=D^ =D^ =D^
I'm with you there, i was wavering a bunch, needed to see much more at 4-4, with 3 winnable games coming in. The team rallied, and improved, and fought. Our play in the trenches has been great, and it looks sustainable. Choate is doing a good job. We need a direction at qb this offseason, that hasn't changed, but i like where we're going.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:59 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:31 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:15 pm
technoCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:43 am
@onceacat I honestly don't know what you want. We were competitive with Weber and ISU. We easily could have made a couple plays and won those games. Why do our wins get discredited because teams missed field goals? If they don't count why do we kick them? Why didn't we get the benefit of the doubt when we missed a ton last year? Why does beating a plus .500 team stopped counting because it was the Griz? When did a Griz win suddenly lose value in the first place? You seem to just keep moving the target for what would make you happy. I don't think any realistic fans thought we would win the big sky this year and probably only half thought we would make the playoffs. Let's just enjoy the rest of the year and be thankful that we have improved measurably every year since Choate has been here.
Mostly agree.

My point is just that we met minimum expectations. Which is great. But it's a far cry from "best coaching performance of all time". It feels like I'm the only one who remembers thinking playoff wins should be a given (not that we ever met those expectations).

I think there's a middle ground between me being critical of an OK season & people acting like this is a season for the ages. Bobbynotbob probably gets fired for going 7-4 in his third season....
I agree that BCPoaT is a bit much at this point. Beating Weber and ISU would have been part of that. I just think us wanting playoff wins after the last three season as opposed to expecting them is more justifiable. I would say he met medium expectations personally, getting to a winning season was the low for me this year. This is the plan that coach has continually laid out. Next year we should convincingly beat the bad teams(although for the most part I felt we did this year), beat all the middling teams(ISU/WIU) and get a few of the good teams. I don't think we will ever have a scenario like the first 3 seasons with McGhee were the BSC is weak enough for us to just steam roll every year. I guess if you enjoy being critical(not a knock on you) and so enjoyed this season then have at it but if you are missing the journey for the destination, then I believe you(and several others) are missing the point of college football.
I miss the point a lot of the time. I sat through 0-11 seasons before & still enjoyed college football, so I think we are OK there!

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:06 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:10 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:49 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:38 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:33 pm
CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:30 pm
KittieKop wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:27 pm
"I've stated that I don't know if Ash can take us to the next level and then I've made it clear that I hope I'm wrong and don't think he should be fired. Just simply stating your concern for what you perceive to be troubling tendencies has become quite the crime around here and apparently e-grizzish..."

utucats
November 20, 2014

Seems your attitude has changed a bit over the last few years, huh?
What's it gonna take for you to be good man?

I've been critical of some of Choate's decision making recently, but at the end of the day he's rebuilt this program. We're tough as nails. We don't give up. We win a lot of games in the 4th. There is very little to be unhappy about.

I've largely held my water where your concerned because you seem like a smart guy...but I'm nearing a point where I think you are just an Ash praising malcontent. We are in the playoffs for ****** sake. Knock it off. Ash is gone. Choate is here, he's doing a good job. Enough.
Utu wants to call everyone out that has the least critical thing to say. He is on record saying its egrizz-ish to do so. This isn't an Ash-Choate thing in the least, but its interesting you went there. It's a utucats is a hypocrite thing. But thanks for the scolding.
I didn't scold you!!

I just asked what level of success is necessary for your to become a believer!

This is a helluva team. Plain and simple. We have a bunch of sophomores playing defense and a linebacker playing QB. And we're hosting a playoff game! Just chill man! UTU be damned, you're acting as though we haven't accomplished anything. I find it hard to believe you actually feel that way.
What do you mean "a believer"? Am I happy the Cats won? I'm an alumnus, I'm paying tuition there now and have been a season ticket holder for 10 years. Of course I'm happy, and just paid for playoff tickets. Where do you get off setting standards for what every other fan has to believe or what they can or can't be happy about? Am I thrilled about the inconsistency of our offense? No. I'm frustrated we don't have a true quarterback in that position. I'm frustrated that the Cats went down 22-0 yesterday. Am I thrilled they overcame that and won, of course! But I don't believe it should have come down to a last second goal line stand.

What's it going to take for me to be a "Choate believer"? This winning season and a play off birth is a good step in the right direction. I want to see progress again next year. I want to see development in the quarterback position, something that's been greatly lacking his first three years here.

How about engaging in conversation about differences in opinion, other than castigating people who maybe don't react the same way you do to things by jumping up and down and screaming. I'm excited for MSU success - I just don't see the need to chew other people's butts if they don't "drink the Kool-aid" and see every single last thing MSU through blue and gold glasses.
I didn't castigate you man. Good god. Drama city. Re-read my response. I have a 1,000 word post ON THE RECORD describing the fact that people who bang fans for being critical of obvious shortcomings should go to hell. We're all entitled to have high expectations.

However...

I haven't (and this isn't scientific...I haven't gone back through your posts...and I don't plan to) ever recalled you being supportive of the current staff. You buy your tickets. Go to the games. But you're always critical as hell. The fact is very few coaches could have made things work this year...Choate did. Montana State did. We're hosting a playoff game that we will--in all likelihood--win.

What I asked you--and this goes to your desire to engage in a conversation about differences of opinion--is at what point do you accept things are going in a good direction? You didn't answer that question. When you do, I'll shut up. Because your answer is less important to me than your willingness to acknowledge the question.

The best,

CNMW
I think I answered that above. I think its headed in the right direction. A winning season and a playoff birth are definitely steps in the right direction. Are we there yet? No, I don't think so. And if people are saying "we've arrived", I don't think they're being honest. Was this season a success especially considering the spate of injuries and the QB situation? Absolutely. Some of the issues are player/talent related. Some of the issues are coaching/staff/inexperience issues. Is a playoff birth in year three for Choate great? Yes, very happy for this team. But I'm NOT going to say the work is done or that this is the BEST COACHING JOB IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS!!!! as some in the one thread want to declare, because some of the issues remain with the coaching staff.

Here's the thing: you don't have to be anti-Choate/against the Cats OR 1000% a cheerleader and wanting the guy to father your children. There's PLENTY of room in between. I'm in between. There's been PLENTY of things with this season to be happy with and PLENTY that make you scratch your head and be frustrated.

When will I be 100% on board. Let's start with convincingly winning the games we're supposed to win, starting to win the 50-50 toss up games (ISU for example, though the UM games the past three years have all essentially been toss ups, so kudos there), and finally, pulling out an upset along the way. the Cat Griz game this year? Epic, one for the history of the season absolutely and a hard fought victory. But how many times this year did we lament slow starts and digging a hole? It shouldn't have been 22-0 to start out the game.

Why am i not 100% yet? I want a solution at the QB position. That shouldn't bee too much to ask in the 4th year of a program. I think that will address some of the second, but the Cats have been wildly inconsistent on offense. Promoting Miller several weeks back might be a solution. Defense has improved immensely the past three years, but they've also been soft on the edges and Saturday proved the secondary isn't as locked down as maybe everyone thought at the beginning of the season.

Look, excited to be back in the playoffs. Are things headed in the right direction? I think so, much more so than last year when Choate was given a contract extension. I feel better about that now than I did then, as I think many do.

Will you acknowledge we can have a difference of opinion on details without having to be a "hater" or a "cheerleader"? Because that seems to often be the only two camps you can be in around here this season. Either you're on board and have to be 1000% behind every last minutia, or else you're a bad fan, a "hater", an embarrassment and should have to turn in your season tickets.

I'm done trying to explain this over and over and over and defend myself. I am who I am. I'm not a cheerleader in anything I do. Am I critical? Yes, but there have been plenty of people here lamenting "accepting mediocrity" over the years. So, things are pointed in the right direction, but we still have a head coach under .500 in his three years here and is having his first winning season. I'm not ready to throw in yet until I see some consistency and not be the "something's building over there team" or just being the "toughest out" for another team. I don't want the Cats to be a .500 team, but "damn, they sure fight hard, they're just a couple years away" all the time. I think they've taken a big step in the right direction.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Weber State coach Jay Hill has become a star in FCS. He and Choate are actually friends that coached together at Utah and they have a similar mindset. In Hill’s first year at Weber, he went 2-10. In years two and three, he went 6-5 and 7-5. In years four and five, he goes 11-3 and 9-2. I will bet you Weber fans were ecstatic in year 3 with 7 wins and a playoff appearance. Some you are just unrealistic on expectations. One poster said the season is a disappointment if we don’t win two games in the playoffs this year. That is an unrealistic goal. We are right on track for future success.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:49 pm

KK - appreciate your post. I'll try not to give you a hard time about needing to see more before you're a Choate believer.

One thing I want to correct. The 2016 Cat griz game was NOT a 50/50 game. We were huge underdogs in that game. I don't remember the spread exactly but it was around 20 points. We were a 3-7 team with a true freshman QB that had just won its first conference game, going into a tough place against a 6-4 team that was expecting to win and goto the playoffs. Some of the local sports reporters were predicting a blowout loss. And Choate took his team in there and didn't just cover the spread. He actually won the game outright with a far less-talented team.

Point is, it's incorrect to say Choate has never won a game he shouldn't.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:14 pm
Weber State coach Jay Hill has become a star in FCS. He and Choate are actually friends that coached together at Utah and they have a similar mindset. In Hill’s first year at Weber, he went 2-10. In years two and three, he went 6-5 and 7-5. In years four and five, he goes 11-3 and 9-2. I will bet you Weber fans were ecstatic in year 3 with 7 wins and a playoff appearance. Some you are just unrealistic on expectations. One poster said the season is a disappointment if we don’t win two games in the playoffs this year. That is an unrealistic goal. We are right on track for future success.
Lol if we win two games in the playoffs, nothing less than a chipper is acceptable at that point! :lol: :lol:

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:56 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:49 pm
KK - appreciate your post. I'll try not to give you a hard time about needing to see more before you're a Choate believer.

One thing I want to correct. The 2016 Cat griz game was NOT a 50/50 game. We were huge underdogs in that game. I don't remember the spread exactly but it was around 20 points. We were a 3-7 team with a true freshman QB that had just won its first conference game, going into a tough place against a 6-4 team that was expecting to win and goto the playoffs. Some of the local sports reporters were predicting a blowout loss. And Choate took his team in there and didn't just cover the spread. He actually won the game outright with a far less-talented team.

Point taken. I'd concede 2016 Cat Griz was unexpected, but Cat Griz is always a game for the unexpected. See 2018!

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:32 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:52 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Lol if we win two games in the playoffs, nothing less than a chipper is acceptable at that point! :lol: :lol:
I’ll second that. If we get to the second game I’ll predict a win by a few points whether it’s practical or not. If we were to win that game the big question might be do we have any bodies left to continue on.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:55 pm

91catAlum wrote:

In a weird twist though, he hasn't done it against anyone besides Montana, except for maybe UND last year which turned out to be fools gold anyway.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:59 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:32 pm
technoCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
I’ll second that. If we get to the second game I’ll predict a win by a few points whether it’s practical or not. If we were to win that game the big question might be do we have any bodies left to continue on.
Whew boy, I just read STATS article on the murder's row that is our bracket. If we were to somehow magically get through the first two games, JMU and KSU are waiting. A rematch with KSU might be interesting though.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:01 pm

technoCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:59 pm
Joe Bobcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Whew boy, I just read STATS article on the murder's row that is our bracket. If we were to somehow magically get through the first two games, JMU and KSU are waiting. A rematch with KSU might be interesting though.
We’re playing with house money now. Any win from here out is icing on the cake!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:02 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:55 pm
91catAlum wrote:

In a weird twist though, he hasn't done it against anyone besides Montana, except for maybe UND last year which turned out to be fools gold anyway.
Yes that is true. We've had so many "almost" games, I feel like it's bound to start bursting open. Hopefully it does that next season.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:28 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:01 pm
technoCat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

agreed.

I think 99% of us thought this season was over after the Idaho State loss...…

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:44 pm

KK - I will try to have a little light hearted fun. Here is a quick analogy for you.

Let’s say you are the new chief of police (Choate). Some unexpected retirements occur at key positions and you are strapped with limited funds and resources due to previous management decisions (Quarterback position). During your initial couple of years, crime rates go up. Despite your best efforts to control crime, you make some headway despite the setbacks in personnel (Choate and staff).

We will assume the chief of police is an elected position. In a debate, your challenger in the next election goes on and on about your slow progress (this is actually KK on BN). This political opponent refuses to recognize that you had some setbacks beyond your control. In his viewpoint, no excuses are acceptable and the increase in crime is a failure.

So in your opinion, is that opponent (KK) a concerned citizen (good fan), or just an unreasonable person trying to win a debate?

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:51 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:28 pm
DriscollCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:01 pm
technoCat wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

agreed.

I think 99% of us thought this season was over after the Idaho State loss...…
Agree as well. Every game now is going to be tough and winning at all after barely getting in would be sweet. If we pull it off this weekend I’ll be tempted to make the drive for our game against NDSU. Beating them would take an epic performance but atleast putting yourself in a position to get that true program defining win would be great for our group.

Nothing bad can happen playing NDSU. We either get leveled and renew our focus knowing we are making progress but still have a long way to go or we pull off a miracle that potentially catapults us into championship conversation for years to come. Wouldn’t it be nice to return the favor to the Bison after their win over us years ago springboarded them into the juggernaut they’ve become?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm

If we make it to Fargo, this board is going to be inundated with bitter Bizon fans from the buyout. They are still salty bout that for some reason.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:25 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm
If we make it to Fargo, this board is going to be inundated with bitter Bizon fans from the buyout. They are still salty bout that for some reason.
Because it was a ****** move by us.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:29 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:25 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm
Because it was a ****** move by us.
I agree. I wouldn't let anybody hear the end of it either.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:44 pm
KK - I will try to have a little light hearted fun. Here is a quick analogy for you.

Let’s say you are the new chief of police (Choate). Some unexpected retirements occur at key positions and you are strapped with limited funds and resources due to previous management decisions (Quarterback position). During your initial couple of years, crime rates go up. Despite your best efforts to control crime, you make some headway despite the setbacks in personnel (Choate and staff).

We will assume the chief of police is an elected position. In a debate, your challenger in the next election goes on and on about your slow progress (this is actually KK on BN). This political opponent refuses to recognize that you had some setbacks beyond your control. In his viewpoint, no excuses are acceptable and the increase in crime is a failure.

So in your opinion, is that opponent (KK) a concerned citizen (good fan), or just an unreasonable person trying to win a debate?
If I give you my honest assessment, no one's going to like it and it'll start crap again, so let's just let it go. Let's just say if I was in that position after three years, I probably wouldn't have a job regardless of "who's fault" it was.

Not saying Choate remotely in any way, absolutely not, even a little, one iota (clear enough?? ;-) should be fired.