8/19 Scrimmage thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: 8/19 Scrimmage thread

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:09 pm

91catAlum wrote:Thanks for the info Tom, definitely sounds encouraging!

How did the corners look?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I thought they looked good today. But since they haven't been good throughout camp I have to assume they had a better than a average day. At worst they aren't awful and with all the good players they have around them I think the defense in toto is going to be good.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:17 pm

From MSU

BOZEMAN, Mont. – Chris Murray threw for 141 yards and a touchdown and three true freshmen running backs combined for 179 yards rushing, but Montana State’s defense forced three turnovers in the team’s final scrimmage of the preseason in Bobcat Stadium on Saturday.

Second-year head coach Jeff Choate called the session “very similar in an inverse way to scrimmage one. In scrimmage one we put (the offense) in that backed-up situation and they immediately had the right edge, the right level of focus, performed exceptionally well. Today I thought the defense rebounded.”

Montana State’s defense forced a three-and-out on the day’s first possession, and on the next set of downs Bryce Alley picked off a Tucker Rovig pass deep in defensive territory. The next drive ended when Chris Murray found Kevin Kassis for an 18-yard gain, but Brayden Konkol stripped the ball and Khari Garcia recovered. The scrimmage’s final play came when Walker Cozzie quelled a potential scoring drive with an interception of Murray at the goal line.

“We had a couple red zone turnovers, kind of uncharacteristic of Kevin Kassis on the one over route where we kind of got a drive going,” Choate said. “We can’t do that in the red zone. Chris forced that ball (on the interception), I think he was pressing a little bit today. There were some communication things we have to get cleaned up on the offensive side of the ball.”

The Bobcat offense got rolling thereafter, converting all four field goal attempts and converting three touchdowns. While the only rushing score was 50-yard scamper by Murray, the reigning Big Sky Freshman of the Year who finished with 74 rushing yards, the ground game fueled the offense for much of the afternoon. “I was very pleased with the run game in general,” Choate said. “I thought the offensive line did a nice job in the run game.”

Three newcomers provided the spark. Tyrel Burgess gained 58 yards on nine carries, Troy Andersen rambled for 55 yards on six carries, and R.J. Fitzgerald, playing primarily against other young players, gained 66 yards on six carries. Anthony Pegues (23 yards), Edward Vander (six yards) and Logan Jones (four yards) also contributed from the running back spot.

Choate said he likes all the players in his stable of running backs, and called the top line of the depth chart inconsequential. “I don’t care who starts,” Choate said, “I want finishers. I know it matters to players, I was a player once and that’s a little bit of an ego thing, but I think Michael (Pitre, MSU’s running backs coach) has done a really good job explaining how we’re going to operate (at running) and to pick each other up. We’re going to need them all.”

While the offense and defense each had moments of success during what Choate calls “the ebbs and flows of fall camp,” Montana State’s kickers have performed well throughout. Senior Luke Daly has been spectacular as a place-kicker, and has shown brilliance at times as a punter. Meanwhile, second-year sophomores Gabe Peppenger (kicker) and Jered Padmos (punter) have also shown well.

“Our punting was excellent” on Saturday, Choate said. “I thought those guys did a really nice job today, both place-kicking and punting. The reality of it is, we look at what’s best for the individual as well as what’s best for the team in the long run. We’ve got kind of a unique situation there, where we have two really good kickers and they both have performed well. There might be one day where one’s ahead of the other or vice versa, but at the end of the day Gabe has a redshirt left. If Luke can be the guy, that benefits all of us. That’s what I would like to see happen is for him to assert himself and be the guy. I know he has the talent. If he can consistently perform that gives us the luxury of keeping Gabe in our pocket.”

The Bobcats participate in what Choate calls a “light little cleanup practice” on Monday, then work through game week-type practices on Tuesday and Thursday. Practice is light on Friday, the team conducts a closed mock game on Saturday geared mostly toward logistical and situational considerations, then begin game-week in earnest on Sunday, August 27.

“What we have to do,” Choate said, “is get our team, all 68 or 70 guys, whoever gets on that plane to Pullman, to play together with an edge. It’s no longer offense against defense or vice versa, it’s about the Bobcats. I think we’ve seen some good, positive things from both sides of the ball throughout camp, but by and large it’s over now. We’ll have a nice little cleanup practice Monday, then it’s (time to) game plan for Washington State.”

SCORING SUMMARY
Luke Daly 49-yard field goal
Gabe Peppenger 35-yard field goal
Lance McCutcheon 3 pass from Chris Murray (Luke Daly)
Gabe Peppenger 38-yard field goal
Peyton Hanser 18 pass from Tucker Rovig (none)
Luke Daly 29-yard field goal
Chris Murray 50 run (none)

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
RUSHING: R.J. Fitzgerald 15-66-0, Chris Murray 12-74-1, Anthony Pegues 10-23-0, Tyrel Burgess 9-58-0, Troy Andersen 6-55-0, Edward Vander 6-6-0, Logan Jones 2-4-0, Luke May 4-32-0, Callahan O’Reilly 3- -8-0.
PASSING: Chris Murray 13-18-1, 141, 1 TD; Brady McChesney 3-7-0, 37, 0; Tucker Rovig 5-10-01, 37, 1; Callahan O’Reilly 3-4-0, 11, 0; Luke May 4-6-0, 19, 0.
RECEIVING: Kevin Kassis 5-60-0, Keon Stephens 4-21-0, Mitchell Herbert 4-33-0, Lance McCutcheon 2-29-1, Justin Paige 2-23-0, Karl Tucker II 2-21-0, Kapili Livingston-Lopez 2-11-0, Jacob Byrne 2-10-0, Willie Patterson 2-4-0, Peyton Hanser 1-18-1, Ryan Davis 1-5-0, Curtis Amos 1-4-0.
INTERCEPTIONS: Bryce Alley, Walker Cozzie
FUMBLES FORCED: Brayden Konkol
FUMBLES RECOVERED: Khari Garcia
SACKS (Including tag-offs): Sal Aguilar 2, Mac Bignell, Walker Cozzie, Chad Kanow, Brayden Konkol
OTHER TACKLES-FOR-LOSS: Chad Kanow, Chase Benson
PASS BREAKUPS: JoJo Henderson, Jakob McCarthy, Kyle Rygg, Jalen Cole, Khari Garcia, Brayden Konkol

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:24 pm

So was Burgess rotating in with the 1's on offense or mostly playing with the twos? Sounds like he had a helluva scrimmage

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:30 pm

I was curious where Nick LaSane was. I noticed a few vets sat out the game, but I didn't see LaSane anywhere. I know LaSane has the suspension coming up but I thought he'd suit up for the scrimmage. I thought Murray was awesome. Murray made a few fantastic throws and his runs were pretty good as well. Murray's improved throwing motion, poise, and decision making, compared with last year, is just a sweet thing to see. I thought the Defense played well, but the number one Offense is just leaps and bounds ahead of last year. Andersen is going to be a beast! Burgess had some nice runs as well.

Oh, I never realized how skinny Chad Kanow is, but that kid can play.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

bgskyfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bgskyfan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Travis Yates also had a sack as well regarding team stats for scrimmage.

bgskyfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bgskyfan » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:52 pm

Skyline Sports‏
@SkylineSportsMT
Follow
More
Both Callahan O'Reilly, Rovig in blue contact jerseys today. Travis Yates with a sack of O'Reilly to force another field goal #MSUBobcatsFB
11:05 AM - 19 Aug 2017

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:53 pm

WATCH: Montana State fall camp: MSU players following final fall scrimmage
http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-fall-scr ... ers-video/

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:29 pm

I largely agree with the notes so far, and I'll say after seeing these guys in person for the first time, I'm as optimistic as ever. Here are a few additions to the conversation:

1. I believe Murray's rushing stats are well under what would have resulted in real game conditions. I'm sure the defensive guys on this board will grumble, but those were some early whistles in my opinion. One play in particular (near the end of the day) was blown dead after 8 yards, and there were absolutely no white jerseys anywhere near Murray. Choate gave the refs an ear full (jokingly). I think he would have scored on that play from about 35 yards out.

2. Andersen broke one down the sideline and it looked like he was shot out of a cannon. He stepped out of bounds in a little traffic after about 15 or so, but he was gone if the whistle didn't blow. The last guy that looked like this was the healthy version of Orenzo Davis. Both run with an upright style and generally in straight lines, but if Troy can get some clean air, mark by words, he will be gone.

3. Burgess is the real deal. Looks a lot like a guy we used to have that was roughly the same size, but in fairness to Burgess, I won't mention him by name. Lots of upside with that kid for sure.

4. The guy that played way beyond my expectations today was Evans. His redzone pick (called back on a defensive penalty) was beautiful. This was a one-on-one endzone fade to Kassis, and while the ball was in the air, it looked like a TD. Not only did Evans close extremely fast to even make it a 50-50 ball, he flat out robbed Kassis in midair. On that play and several others, I saw a kid with a huge amount of desire. Impressive.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but I'm out of time. What a great day.

Edited: Orenzo Davis
Last edited by Darth Yoda on Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:34 pm

WATCH: Montana State fall camp 2017 — Jeff Choate final fall scrimmage
http://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-stat ... scrimmage/

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Please bring me more Florida kids.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Murray's passing is unrecognizable from last year.

toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:23 pm

Defense owns the day in last MSU scrimmage
http://skylinesportsmt.com/defense-owns ... scrimmage/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Chew on this quote for awhile...

“Chris had his moments but I think he’s a lot better player than what he played today,” Choate said.

toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:50 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Murray's passing is unrecognizable from last year.

Good to hear! =D^

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:20 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Murray's passing is unrecognizable from last year.
Good because Murray's passing was unrecognizable as passing last year.

I keed I keed.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Bryce alley needs needs to talk to the media more. I enjoyed that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:41 am

So this might be a silly question, but I haven't seen the team in person yet. Do we look better than last year? I know from reports Murray has improved, but over all eye test. Do you think we will be better?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:50 am

Common Cat wrote:So this might be a silly question, but I haven't seen the team in person yet. Do we look better than last year? I know from reports Murray has improved, but over all eye test. Do you think we will be better?
In my opinion, there is little doubt we are better significantly than last year. HOWEVER, it may not reflect in our record this year. I have to think we have one of the top 5 hardest schedules in the FCS.

I think we may be tough to beat in conference play, and may really hit our stride as the season is ending as our young team will be getting more experience. Will be interesting to see how we get through our first 3 games (washington state, south dakota state, north dakota)

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:08 am

Offense: The passing game is vastly improved, but not just because Murray has put in the work to get better, but receivers as well. The OL looks good as they were last year, but hard to say how big the loss of Flynn will be. Burgess and Andersen have been huge surprises at RB.

ST: Next to passing game the biggest improvement might be the K/P game. Daly is a weapon and one so-called expert thinks he plays his position better than anyone on the team. If the cover teams maintain their own performance from last year, that'll be a strength. Not sure on returners.

Defense: The DL depth is improved and there's solid depth at LB and safety. Cornerback is still kind of shaky despite a goodcday yesterday.

toM StUber

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 pm

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast