Jeff Choate bye week press conference

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Jeff Choate bye week press conference

Post by catscat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:31 pm

exppi wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:WATCH: Montana State press conference - head coach Jeff Choate, bye week
http://skylinesportsmt.com/jeff-choate- ... onference/
If you are questioning Choate as a coach, you should listen to this. He is the real deal folks. He is very knowledgeable about the game and his players. He communicates very well. He is passionate and committed. We are going to win a lot of games with Coach Choate!
I basically agree with you, but he lost me in a bit way with 1 specific line of thought. When he stated "I really don't think we've been out coached," that's nonsense. If you're 2-6, you have not done your job, period. Don't have good enough players? B.S., you have plenty of players to beat Sac State. QB controversy? You created that, coach, by selling us Bruggman for 5 games. I like the way he talks about football, the way he wants to build based on hard-nosed play, and holding people accountable. I just think he needs to also hold himself and his staff accountable. Blaming the players solely for being 2-6, which is what that statement did (and no I'm not taking 1 sentence out of context, go back and check if you must) is not the mark of a good program leader IMO. Hopefully he can grow as a coach as he grows and builds the program.
I don't think, in general, they've been out coached. There have been questionable moments, but mostly it's been player errors.
2-6, you've been out coached. Turnovers like this need to be fixed, they haven't. Offense has all the flow of water running uphill, which hasn't been fixed. Have the players made mistakes? Of course they have, it's part of the game. When players continue to make the same mistakes, it becomes about coaching at that point. My point is, whether you (meaning coach) believe you've been perfect and the players can't win anyway, putting that in public is not the way to handle it. Just my .02.
I think you're trying to say they've done a poor job of coaching. When someone says 'out coached' it means the other teams coaches had their team more prepared and did better in-game adjustments, etc.
To add to this, I think of game plan and strategy as the crux of being out coached. In that regard, they haven't been.
I think a case can be made for Choate and crew being outcoached against Sac State and EWU. Sac State with their "adjustments" resulting in the comeback and EWU shutting out the 'Cats in the second half. In all the games, it's been a coaching decision to play Bruggman - which many seem to think is either poor coaching or being out coached since the opposition knows how to defend Bruggman - take your pick.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:44 am

I don't think coaching has been the major factor in our losses. We have had subpar play at QB, turnover issues, lack of depth, injuries, player experience and total brainfarts on the field (penalties, personal fouls, dropped passes, etc.). It seems to me that Choate and company have done a good job at just keeping the games competitive. You could make the argument that the coaching has kept the Cats in the games.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:20 am

Cataholic wrote:I don't think coaching has been the major factor in our losses. We have had subpar play at QB, turnover issues, lack of depth, injuries, player experience and total brainfarts on the field (penalties, personal fouls, dropped passes, etc.). It seems to me that Choate and company have done a good job at just keeping the games competitive. You could make the argument that the coaching has kept the Cats in the games.
I think you're right, mental mistakes have cost us all season (brainfarts). My point is that if the same mental mistakes and physical mistakes keep happening, the staff is not doing their job. I won't argue game plan or preparedness, although there's a debate there too, but I'll just reiterate that no matter real or perceived reasons, if you're 2-6, you can't say in public that you haven't been out coached. If I'm taking this all wrong I guess that's my fault, but as tom and I discussed upthread, if it's not out coached, it's s bad job of coaching, IMO.

Andy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Andy » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:24 am

It's called a "signature" and in this case, he's using it to illustrate and remind that Tom is going to say whatever he wants to and really don't give no shiits about someone trying to shout him down.
Great, put this inspiring 'signature' and its meaning on your business card. It really is quite impressive and has so much to do with Bobcat Football.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:40 am

Cataholic wrote:I don't think coaching has been the major factor in our losses. We have had subpar play at QB, turnover issues, lack of depth, injuries, player experience and total brainfarts on the field (penalties, personal fouls, dropped passes, etc.). It seems to me that Choate and company have done a good job at just keeping the games competitive. You could make the argument that the coaching has kept the Cats in the games.

Truth ! Turn Over Ratio - I know everyone gets that - but for me it's huge - every TO is a possible 14 point swing 7 points we can't get and 7 they could. It is the second leading indicator of who wins a football game besides the score . If you look at the
Box Scores in the paper on the week-ends from High School to the Pros 90 % of the teams that win the TOR win the games. There are exceptions but they are rare . I've gone three and four weeks with it being 100 % . If you look at the state champs in highschool to the super bowl, the champs will have one thing in common , a huge advantage in the TOR - I think about the Dynasty teams - Drummond - Carrol - North Dakota - and many more - and Dominate Super Bowl teams - the Bears , Tampa Bay
The Ravens etc all had huge positive Turn Over Ratio!

Don't matter where you go , there you are .......Protect the Rock

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:40 am

Truth ! Turn Over Ratio - I know everyone gets that - but for me it's huge - every TO is a possible 14 point swing 7 points we can't get and 7 they could. It is the second leading indicator of who wins a football game besides the score . If you look at the
Box Scores in the paper on the week-ends from High School to the Pros 90 % of the teams that win the TOR win the games. There are exceptions but they are rare . I've gone three and four weeks with it being 100 % . If you look at the state champs in highschool to the super bowl, the champs will have one thing in common , a huge advantage in the TOR - I think about the Dynasty teams - Drummond - Carrol - North Dakota - and many more - and Dominate Super Bowl teams - the Bears , Tampa Bay

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:56 am

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:

Spot on, I'd guess there's a significant push going on during the bye to get this problem fixed. There was an opportunity for us on Saturday that was undone almost solely by our inability to protect the rock, as you say. I think and hope if we can turn that around, cause some and quit giving so so many, there's a chance to win 2 of 3 coming in and get it going the right direction into the off-season.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:30 am

Sometimes turnovers are a result trying too hard. Could it be the team is trying so hard for these coaches that has caused a number of the fumbles???

Could be a good sign that the coaches are liked and motivating.

Still need to fix. But a lil more positive way to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:55 am

TOR ~ I'm pretty simple so I have to look at it like this : if you have 20 take aways and 10 turnovers
during the Season you are +10 for Turn Over Ratio . That is 70 points we had a chance to Score and
70 points the opponents could'nt score . Over the course of a 10 game season thats 7 points a game
our opponents did't score, and 7 we could have scored, what would our record look like with at least
those 7 points . It's what wins the close games I think.

Protect the Rock

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:14 am

77matcat wrote:Sometimes turnovers are a result trying too hard. Could it be the team is trying so hard for these coaches that has caused a number of the fumbles???

Could be a good sign that the coaches are liked and motivating.

Still need to fix. But a lil more positive way to look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Could be but, I believe it's more of an attitude and culture. On offense~ Hey it's my ball
and there's no way in hell you can have it . Pack it high and tight protect the rock.
On Defense its like, oh you think it's your ball , not for long Buddy, Gang tackle stand em
up and strip the ball and both sides of the ball need to work together on this . I liked to see
a TOR sign posted where everyone could see it . I've seen some that read 26 to 4 in a season
needless to say that team was undefeated for a few years.

Protect the Rock
say that team was undefeated

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:04 pm

Maybe people need to think about this. What would we be saying about Choate right now had UM not hired Stitt, but instead went with Choate. I would bet that right now UM would be undefeated and in the top 3 for FCS schools right now. It is a lot easier to take over that program and have instant success than it is at MSU. I have several friends that are Griz fans that have told me they would trade head coaches any day of the week. This interview shows me that Ash was an okay head coach and that Choate is going to be an amazing head coach.

Punters are people too!!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:23 pm

GoCats18 wrote:Maybe people need to think about this. What would we be saying about Choate right now had UM not hired Stitt, but instead went with Choate. I would bet that right now UM would be undefeated and in the top 3 for FCS schools right now. It is a lot easier to take over that program and have instant success than it is at MSU. I have several friends that are Griz fans that have told me they would trade head coaches any day of the week. This interview shows me that Ash was an okay head coach and that Choate is going to be an amazing head coach.
Boy I sure hope you're right. I do love the passion Choate brings to the table, and I will be ecstatic if Choate can match or exceed the success Rob Ash had at MSU.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Long Time Cat

Post by Long Time Cat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:49 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:WATCH: Montana State press conference - head coach Jeff Choate, bye week
http://skylinesportsmt.com/jeff-choate- ... onference/
If you are questioning Choate as a coach, you should listen to this. He is the real deal folks. He is very knowledgeable about the game and his players. He communicates very well. He is passionate and committed. We are going to win a lot of games with Coach Choate!
I basically agree with you, but he lost me in a bit way with 1 specific line of thought. When he stated "I really don't think we've been out coached," that's nonsense. If you're 2-6, you have not done your job, period. Don't have good enough players? B.S., you have plenty of players to beat Sac State. QB controversy? You created that, coach, by selling us Bruggman for 5 games. I like the way he talks about football, the way he wants to build based on hard-nosed play, and holding people accountable. I just think he needs to also hold himself and his staff accountable. Blaming the players solely for being 2-6, which is what that statement did (and no I'm not taking 1 sentence out of context, go back and check if you must) is not the mark of a good program leader IMO. Hopefully he can grow as a coach as he grows and builds the program.
I don't think I totally agree with Goldstone here but I get his drift. I am a big Choate fan and agree that Choate is the real deal but I was uncomfortable with him saying that they hadn't been out coached but had a lack of talent. Those things may both be true but I don't think its wise to say it at a press conference or at the very least there are better ways to say it. But I do agree completely with Goldstone on this "Hopefully he can grow as a coach as he grows and builds the program." I am willing to cut coach some slack on this because generally if I am looking for somebody that has stuck his foot in his mouth a few times too many I only have to look in the mirror.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:16 pm

I don't think I totally agree with Goldstone here but I get his drift. I am a big Choate fan and agree that Choate is the real deal but I was uncomfortable with him saying that they hadn't been out coached but had a lack of talent. Those things may both be true but I don't think its wise to say it at a press conference or at the very least there are better ways to say it. But I do agree completely with Goldstone on this "Hopefully he can grow as a coach as he grows and builds the program." I am willing to cut coach some slack on this because generally if I am looking for somebody that has stuck his foot in his mouth a few times too many I only have to look in the mirror.[/quote]

Great post.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:15 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:I don't think I totally agree with Goldstone here but I get his drift. I am a big Choate fan and agree that Choate is the real deal but I was uncomfortable with him saying that they hadn't been out coached but had a lack of talent. Those things may both be true but I don't think its wise to say it at a press conference or at the very least there are better ways to say it. But I do agree completely with Goldstone on this "Hopefully he can grow as a coach as he grows and builds the program." I am willing to cut coach some slack on this because generally if I am looking for somebody that has stuck his foot in his mouth a few times too many I only have to look in the mirror.
Great post.[/quote]

I Concur and would venture to say that if Chote reviewed his own Presser would agree he could have said that better
or at least different. Heck I have to review what I write and spell checker sometimes can't figure it out. I would imagine
live in front of a Camera with that kinda passion there could be a lot more to pick a part. I still like the over all message
and agree with him that we are CLOSE !

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
PHAT CAT wrote:I don't think I totally agree with Goldstone here but I get his drift. I am a big Choate fan and agree that Choate is the real deal but I was uncomfortable with him saying that they hadn't been out coached but had a lack of talent. Those things may both be true but I don't think its wise to say it at a press conference or at the very least there are better ways to say it. But I do agree completely with Goldstone on this "Hopefully he can grow as a coach as he grows and builds the program." I am willing to cut coach some slack on this because generally if I am looking for somebody that has stuck his foot in his mouth a few times too many I only have to look in the mirror.
Great post.
I Concur and would venture to say that if Chote reviewed his own Presser would agree he could have said that better
or at least different. Heck I have to review what I write and spell checker sometimes can't figure it out. I would imagine
live in front of a Camera with that kinda passion there could be a lot more to pick a part. I still like the over all message
and agree with him that we are CLOSE ![/quote]

The coaching is sort of like that 3rd quarter that Choate talked about at the beginning of the presser. Things are going really well, totally clicking, then some total rookie mistakes (like sticking with Bruggman) and some inexperience (coaching version of what Murray is doing on the field). Right now, the D is looking like it could light up the conference in the next couple of seasons. Its just a matter of everyone from the scout team up to the seniors and the coaching staff on the Offense to figure out how to quit making stupid mistakes.

He sure does make you believe.