Idaho and the Mountain West????

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Idaho and the Mountain West????

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:53 pm

What, if anything, caused Idaho not to get into the Mountain West? I know we can all think of a couple of possibilities...but maybe it's something else.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Re: Idaho and the Mountain West????

Post by Go Scats Go » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:57 pm

Boise

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:14 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:What, if anything, caused Idaho not to get into the Mountain West? I know we can all think of a couple of possibilities...but maybe it's something else.
Why would any self respecting FBS conference want them? They don't add anything of value, even to the lower tier FBS leagues. I wonder if the Mountain West might consider taking New Mexico State though? Has anyone heard anything at all about their plans? Have they officially announced that they plan to stay in FBS? Does that mean they'll probably have to just play as independent in 2018, if they can't get into the MWC? I don't believe they're very desirable to any FCS conferences either, but playing an independent schedule doesn't really seem like a very sustainable long term solution.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:17 am

New Mexico state u was happy Idaho dropped and announced going FCS because they are now longer joined at the hip . They are reapplying to sun down and the mountain West and the big 10 hoping something breaks free and they need a replacement body.
Mountain West rejected Idaho and told them not to even apply. Old news.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:58 am

Montanabob wrote:New Mexico state u was happy Idaho dropped and announced going FCS because they are now longer joined at the hip . They are reapplying to sun down and the mountain West and the big 10 hoping something breaks free and they need a replacement body.
I dug a little deeper and found a short article saying the Mountain West has UTEP and Tulsa on their radar as potential additions.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Montanabob wrote:New Mexico state u was happy Idaho dropped and announced going FCS because they are now longer joined at the hip . They are reapplying to sun down and the mountain West and the big 10 hoping something breaks free and they need a replacement body.
I dug a little deeper and found a short article saying the Mountain West has UTEP and Tulsa on their radar as potential additions.
Are they both currently in the Sun Belt, or are they in C-USA?

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:40 pm

John K wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:
Are they both currently in the Sun Belt, or are they in C-USA?
Tulsa-American Athletic Conference
UTEP- C-USA