Big Sky Kickoff coverage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Re: Big Sky Kickoff coverage

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:22 pm

ROCKING R BAR PRESENTS: Big Sky Kickoff players — North Dakota quarterback Keaton Studsrud
http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-conf ... -studsrud/
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:46 pm

John K wrote:
catatac wrote:
John K wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
iaafan wrote:I know how I feel about it. A coach should try to match his player's intensity and let the chips fall where they may. Generally, if your team is business-like, be business-like; if they're a bunch of crazed dogs, be a crazed dog. You have to find a way to let them know you're with them even if they aren't doing things the way you would.
"He's not a player's coach" a phrase I've heard since he first took over. As a college coach it is incumbent upon you to build player relationships and help prepare them for life after college. If you take the CEO approach to coaching, I believe you disenfranchise yourself by keeping players and coaches at arms length. Our kids deserve good teachers and mentors.
That was very well said, and I agree completely!!
I probably disagree, but that's OK - we all want the same thing! We've also hashed this out on this board in the past and I'll restate my opinion that at head coach does not have to be a cheerleader to be successful, Belichick is a great example. There are also very successful college coaches that don't ever give the rah rah pump you up speeches. Remember how Kramer used to talk about how he was guilty of getting players TOO amped up at times? It's about controlling the intensity. If you really need that to happen to get the players to play their best, maybe the assistant coaches play that role. Again, agree to disagree and believe me, if Choate's fired up, intense demeanor leads to as many or more wins and Big Sky titles as Ash did, I'll be stoked!
It's not about the coach being a cheerleader. It's about him forming strong relationships with his players, and them feeling that he always has their back. Coach Ash had many fine attributes, but I don't necessarily think that this sort of thing was his strong suit.
Exactly.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

77matcat
Member # Retired

Big Sky Kickoff coverage

Post by 77matcat » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:02 pm

Playing with intensity is not a problem if that's how you practice. It's important in any sport to learn how to play under control at the intensity level you chose to play at. Those who master control at a high intensity level win.

Oh, grasshopper. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:28 am

2010? Hmm. That's a stretch. Ash was 26-3 in 29 consecutive conference games with 3 straight banners starting in 2010. I think the players had a change of heart and I also can really see it in these interviews, but I doubt it started in 2010. I agree a change was needed.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:53 pm

ROCKIN' R BAR PRESENTS: Big Sky Kickoff player videos - Northern Colorado defensive back Thomas Singleton
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bsc-kickoff- ... singleton/

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:51 am

Darth Yoda wrote:2010? Hmm. That's a stretch. Ash was 26-3 in 29 consecutive conference games with 3 straight banners starting in 2010. I think the players had a change of heart and I also can really see it in these interviews, but I doubt it started in 2010. I agree a change was needed.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk
Thanks Yoda, I completely agree and I am optimistic that the change is going to be a good thing, but you were much better at conveying what i was trying to earlier. That's a damn good run right there and you would never see success like that if there was a disconnect between Ash and his players and if they lacked motivation to play for him.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:51 am

Graduate transfer departures continue to hit home in the Big Sky
http://skylinesportsmt.com/graduate-tra ... e-big-sky/

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:36 pm

It sounds like a lot of the coaches, except Stitt, agree with Ash. As I recall a lot of people jumped down Ash's throat when he said basically the same thing as the coaches are saying. Stitt comes off sounding a little brash once again.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:41 pm

iaafan wrote:It sounds like a lot of the coaches, except Stitt, agree with Ash. As I recall a lot of people jumped down Ash's throat when he said basically the same thing as the coaches are saying. Stitt comes off sounding a little brash once again.
Stitt is The Donald of the Big Sky

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:54 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:57 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Image

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:37 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Image
Good stuff as always Vim. Yea, I think Coach came off a bit arrogant on that comment, too. I think in his heart he was thinking about the many Griz who find their way in the NFL and wouldn't have to move up to have that chance, but he could have stated it better. I think when you're a kid and you have an opportunity to visit with Nick Saban it would be very difficult to say "no thanks" regardless of your loyalty to your team.

BozoneCat

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:06 pm

Excellent article, Colter! Thanks as always.

My biggest takeaway from this is twofold:
1.) I was surprised so many coaches came out so strongly in their remarks against the graduate transfer rule. Not surprised they feel that way, just surprised they stated it so vehemently to a reporter.
2.) Here I go thinking that Stitt couldn't possibly be a bigger douchebag, and he goes off and runs his big mouth yet again... and completely redeems himself. Seriously, that guy just cannot get over himself. Makes me that much happier that we have a guy like Coach Choate who we can be proud of.

GO CATS GO!!!

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Stitt is turning into the perfect villain. He's a character!

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:39 am

Rocking R Bar presents: Big Sky Kickoff players — Portland State senior quarterback Alex Kuresa
http://skylinesportsmt.com/rocking-r-ba ... ex-kuresa/

Rocking R Bar presents: Big Sky kickoff coaches — Portland State head coach Bruce Barnum
http://skylinesportsmt.com/rocking-r-ba ... ce-barnum/

Rocking R Bar Presents: Big Sky kickoff coaches — Northern Arizona head coach Jerome Souers
http://skylinesportsmt.com/rocking-r-ba ... me-souers/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:39 pm

WATCH: Big Sky Kickoff coaches — Idaho State head coach Mike Kramer
http://skylinesportsmt.com/rocking-r-ba ... ke-kramer/

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:48 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:WATCH: Big Sky Kickoff coaches — Idaho State head coach Mike Kramer
http://skylinesportsmt.com/rocking-r-ba ... ke-kramer/
GREAT invterview! Ya gotta love Coach Kramer.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:57 am

Pfffffft. Hilarious! My only problem with Kramer though is he always beats around the bush and never just comes out and states his opinion. lol

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:08 pm

catatac wrote:Pfffffft. Hilarious! My only problem with Kramer though is he always beats around the bush and never just comes out and states his opinion. lol
colter- "how do you feel about the big sky not being able to play everyone in the same season, due to there being so many teams?"

Kramer- "Its a complete Fckinng joke, and whoever came up with the idea should die!"

hahahahahahaha (I'm obviously not quoting him, but that is more or less what he said)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:57 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
catatac wrote:Pfffffft. Hilarious! My only problem with Kramer though is he always beats around the bush and never just comes out and states his opinion. lol
colter- "how do you feel about the big sky not being able to play everyone in the same season, due to there being so many teams?"

Kramer- "Its a complete Fckinng joke, and whoever came up with the idea should die!"

hahahahahahaha (I'm obviously not quoting him, but that is more or less what he said)
I don't like not playing a full round robin either, but with 13 teams (14 beginning in 2018) it's just not possible. I would like to see several changes though. Now that there will be an even number of teams beginning in two years, I would like each team to have just 1 rival (instead of 2) that they play every season. I'd also like to see the conference schedule expanded from 8 to 9 games. Many teams play a non-conference game against a fellow BSC team anyway, so why not just add an extra conference game for everyone? Also, I don't understand why we play some teams 3-4 years in a row, and then we might go 2-3 years without playing other teams. With 6 games against the 10 teams that aren't traditional rivals, each team should be playing every other team 3 times within a 5 year span. That means we should never "skip" any team in consecutive seasons. If each team had just 1 rival instead of 2, and if the conference schedule was expanded to 9 games, then we could play each non-rival team 2 out of every 3 years (8 non rival games/12 non rival teams after Idaho re-joins). That still wouldn't be as good as playing a full round robin, but it's about the best that you could do, with 14 teams in the conference.