Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:26 am

That was Walker, not Hale.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:42 am

Hale needs to pass a few summer classes still. But he never has had a problem in the classroom so shouldn't be too worried.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:44 am

iaafan wrote:That was Walker, not Hale.
Ah, sorry. Didn't read deep enough into the nested quotes.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:49 am

iaafan wrote:Why wouldn't Hale be able to transfer?
I am not in the know, but from reading social media Naijile Hale has been accepted at MSU, BUT needs to complete summer classes to become eligible for the 2016 football season.

IMO, the whole persona of our secondary will be drastically different with GA at the helm, Hale AND Walker on the team.

If Colter or anyone has factual insight on Hale, please enlighten us!

****Ooops, sorry Vim, I didn't hit the submit button fast enough!*****

Grandmaster Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Grandmaster Cat » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:04 pm

Interesting turn of events with Walker, to say the least. Looks like he could be a big help in the secondary. Will he be eligible immediately to play? Looking at his tweet, the hash tag appears to indicate he's a member of the 2017 recruiting class -- could just be a typo though.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Grandmaster Cat wrote:Interesting turn of events with Walker, to say the least. Looks like he could be a big help in the secondary. Will he be eligible immediately to play? Looking at his tweet, the hash tag appears to indicate he's a member of the 2017 recruiting class -- could just be a typo though.
I thought the same thing when I saw that. Might just be a typo.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:10 am

With Walker back on board our corners are looking promising.

Walker - 10 starts at Colorado
Strong - 5 starts last season
Hale - 4 starts as true frosh at Washington
Alley - 6 starts over past two seasons
Harris, Evans, Dodd - no starts, but good athletes
Gates, Stern - difficult to say
Washington, Steele - incoming freshmen

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:16 am

Getting Walker back could be huge. He's a proven player. Many drop downs from P5s come in with very little experience because they weren't good enough. That's not the case for Walker and Hale.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:43 am

Colorado CB transfer John Walker lands at Montana State after all
http://skylinesportsmt.com/colorado-cb- ... after-all/

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:54 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Colorado CB transfer John Walker lands at Montana State after all
Thanks Colter -- that explains a lot.

Great to hear Choate got personally involved to dig into what was going on with acceptance.

Look forward to seeing Walker on the field, and hope he reaches his goal of playing in the league.

And for all those threads and questions here on BN about 'to turn or not to turn your head' in coverage -- just watch Walker's film. He does it right.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:37 pm

JDoub wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:Colorado CB transfer John Walker lands at Montana State after all
Thanks Colter -- that explains a lot.

Great to hear Choate got personally involved to dig into what was going on with acceptance.

Look forward to seeing Walker on the field, and hope he reaches his goal of playing in the league.

And for all those threads and questions here on BN about 'to turn or not to turn your head' in coverage -- just watch Walker's film. He does it right.
I talked with Joel Fuller and Kazz Seiwing about the "turn your headgate" conspiracy last year at our tailgate. They both told me that in practice and during the games players are graded on a system developed by the coaches. The scoring system graded each player on whether they correctly covered the WR and played the ball. Contrary to what some were saying on here in the past, no the coaches did not teach the players to not turn their heads. Instead they were coached to run with the WR and only turn their your head, not shoulder or hips, when the WR tips his hand by either his eyes or hands, and btw that is the correct way to play corner. They simply said that the corners and safties we had then and now are not that good and are always out of position, causing them to chase the WR. Which in turn makes it look like our DBs and safties are intentially trying to not turn their heads, and that isn't the case.

If have your head, shoulders, or hips turned the whole time on the backfield and QB, good luck covering any WR at any level.

If your left, you aren’t right.

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Correct. So to see how it's supposed to be done - in step with the receiver, in position, right amount of cushion, perfect hips, hands, head, shoulders, right position and time of breaks, watch Walker's film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:25 pm

JDoub wrote:Correct. So to see how it's supposed to be done - in step with the receiver, in position, right amount of cushion, perfect hips, hands, head, shoulders, right position and time of breaks, watch Walker's film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:I talked with Joel Fuller and Kazz Seiwing about the "turn your headgate" conspiracy last year at our tailgate. They both told me that in practice and during the games players are graded on a system developed by the coaches. The scoring system graded each player on whether they correctly covered the WR and played the ball. Contrary to what some were saying on here in the past, no the coaches did not teach the players to not turn their heads. Instead they were coached to run with the WR and only turn their your head, not shoulder or hips, when the WR tips his hand by either his eyes or hands, and btw that is the correct way to play corner. They simply said that the corners and safties we had then and now are not that good and are always out of position, causing them to chase the WR. Which in turn makes it look like our DBs and safties are intentially trying to not turn their heads, and that isn't the case.

If have your head, shoulders, or hips turned the whole time on the backfield and QB, good luck covering any WR at any level.
Basically what it all comes down to is speed. Speed can solve a lot of problems. We have struggled with speed for about three years now at the DB and S level.