How good will Cats be?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: How good will Cats be?

Post by PapaG » Sat May 28, 2016 11:21 am

TomCat88 wrote:For all you stat lovers out there, MSU was 4-0 in games Prukop carried the ball 11 times or less. It was 1-6 when he had more than 11 carries. The one win was SAC.
Untrue he had 10 carries against SDSU and lost because the defense decided not to tackle Zach Zenner. I'm sure you'll find a way to blame Prukop for that as well.
Last edited by PapaG on Sat May 28, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat May 28, 2016 11:25 am

And I'd argue that without Prukop the last two years MSU competes with Northern Colorado and the other losers for last place.

See how easy the "what if?" arguments are to make?

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:42 am

PapaG wrote:And I'd argue that without Prukop the last two years MSU competes with Northern Colorado and the other losers for last place.

That was 2014. He didn't have a game with less than 11 carries, but it's all relative as the stat lovers say. In 2014 MSU was 4-3 in game he had more than 15 carries; 3-1 in games with less than 15. I don't take stats seriously. Just putting this out there for bonafide stat lovers. I feel that if you're going to go off stats, you need to accept all of them not just the ones that support your hypothesis.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:31 pm

PapaG wrote:And I'd argue that without Prukop the last two years MSU competes with Northern Colorado and the other losers for last place.

+1

If it weren't for Dakota it would've been a brutal past 2 years . . .

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Sat May 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Common Cat wrote:Can't help but think how McGhee would shine in our new offense.
Yeah he is a PERFECT fit for what Messingham is running. Never thought of that. I think people will be impressed with Bruggman when the season gets rolling.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sat May 28, 2016 1:18 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

That was 2014. He didn't have a game with less than 11 carries, but it's all relative as the stat lovers say. In 2014 MSU was 4-3 in game he had more than 15 carries; 3-1 in games with less than 15. I don't take stats seriously. Just putting this out there for bonafide stat lovers. I feel that if you're going to go off stats, you need to accept all of them not just the ones that support your hypothesis.
Yeah but was it a gimmicky offense? :D

Seems fairly obvious to me that better defenses would stop Newell, force more passes because of down and distance, and get more pressure on the QB as the offense becomes one dimensional. I suppose you either have Prukop scrambling for yards, extending plays, moving the ball, and scoring points, or you have Bleskin getting sacked, throwing picks, and fumbling when sacked.

I know which comparative of two games wasn't an absolute embarrassment for the offense. Do you?

See the last two Cat-Griz games for a hint.

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat May 28, 2016 9:00 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:

+1

If it weren't for Dakota it would've been a brutal past 2 years . . .
I think Jake Bleskin would have done a fine job as the starter the last 2 years and don't think we would have been competing for last place or had a brutal couple years.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat May 28, 2016 10:33 pm

PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Seems fairly obvious to me that better defenses would stop Newell, force more passes because of down and distance, and get more pressure on the QB as the offense becomes one dimensional. I suppose you either have Prukop scrambling for yards, extending plays, moving the ball, and scoring points, or you have Bleskin getting sacked, throwing picks, and fumbling when sacked.

I know which comparative of two games wasn't an absolute embarrassment for the offense. Do you?

Papa-You are sort of going off the deep end here. Cat-Griz last year in Bozeman, was indeed pretty embarrassing for the Cat offense. As was the game before that against SUU. The Griz game in particular, was telling. A not very good D tries to hang around, but the offense was nowhere to be found for 3 quarters. Suddenly, in the 4th, with the game already decided, the O decides to pad its stats in garbage time. See also NAU, EWU, PSU.

Do you really think that Prukop would have made Cat-Griz 2014 competitive? Do you really think that Jordan Hoy wouldn't have put up 50 against ETSU? That McQueary wouldn't have put up 45 on UCD? That the Cats could have put Mitch Griebel in and still beat the likes of Fort Lewis, Cal Poly, SacSt, ETSU and ISU? Those were 4 awful teams. Those 4 teams combined for a grand total of 6 wins against D-1 competition (and one of those was Poly beating ISU!) Hell, the Cats could have probably stuck Big John at QB and won every single one of those by double digits (OK, maybe not Poly...)

You should be excited to have Dakota, Papa. I wish him the best. He's certainly better than Lockie, and the other guys are so young and raw that its likely he will start and be pretty successful. And he has every right to be. I think its pretty obvious from everything that happened at MSU and Oregon last year that both teams are likely to be better as a result of his transfer. MSU wins by becoming more balanced and focus. The Ducks benefit from a dramatic improvement over Lockie, and at worst get a super athletic backup, at best they get a dynamic dual threat. And Dakota gets a chance to play in one of the BCS bowls.

Your Ducks win.

Your Bobcats win.

Dakota Prukop wins.

Sounds like you should be happy, but you seem convinced that the Cats are going to be a mess without their superstar. This is a great deal for everyone involved, as far as I'm concerned.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun May 29, 2016 8:47 am

Agree with once. Reason is OC and QB coach will insist that Dakota distributes the ball. If he doesn't he won't be playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun May 29, 2016 11:08 am

onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Papa-You are sort of going off the deep end here. Cat-Griz last year in Bozeman, was indeed pretty embarrassing for the Cat offense. As was the game before that against SUU. The Griz game in particular, was telling. A not very good D tries to hang around, but the offense was nowhere to be found for 3 quarters. Suddenly, in the 4th, with the game already decided, the O decides to pad its stats in garbage time. See also NAU, EWU, PSU.

Do you really think that Prukop would have made Cat-Griz 2014 competitive? Do you really think that Jordan Hoy wouldn't have put up 50 against ETSU? That McQueary wouldn't have put up 45 on UCD? That the Cats could have put Mitch Griebel in and still beat the likes of Fort Lewis, Cal Poly, SacSt, ETSU and ISU? Those were 4 awful teams. Those 4 teams combined for a grand total of 6 wins against D-1 competition (and one of those was Poly beating ISU!) Hell, the Cats could have probably stuck Big John at QB and won every single one of those by double digits (OK, maybe not Poly...)

You should be excited to have Dakota, Papa. I wish him the best. He's certainly better than Lockie, and the other guys are so young and raw that its likely he will start and be pretty successful. And he has every right to be. I think its pretty obvious from everything that happened at MSU and Oregon last year that both teams are likely to be better as a result of his transfer. MSU wins by becoming more balanced and focus. The Ducks benefit from a dramatic improvement over Lockie, and at worst get a super athletic backup, at best they get a dynamic dual threat. And Dakota gets a chance to play in one of the BCS bowls.

Your Ducks win.

Your Bobcats win.

Dakota Prukop wins.

Sounds like you should be happy, but you seem convinced that the Cats are going to be a mess without their superstar. This is a great deal for everyone involved, as far as I'm concerned.
Your argument is petty and has so many holes in it. Why are you so bent on blaming last years deficiencies on Dakota? It makes no sense to me that a kid who represented our program so well and GRADUATED should be thrown to be wolves. If you put Dakota with a top defense last year, we are playing into December. The early EWU game is a great indication of how our offensive game plans changed to try and compensate for the leaky Defense. Going for 4th downs because we know the opponent is going to score if they get the ball back.

You have so many facts above wrong. SUU had 3 future NFL players on defense. Maybe our offense had struggled because of the quality defense and our coaches lack of an effective game plan. UM had Holmes (another NFL guy) camping in the backfield. In the early part of the season it looked like we only had 3 guys playing he offensive line. Dakota had to run to extend plays. Play calling by Cramsey (and Ash on special teams) was a head scratcher at times when they called for Dakota to run the ball. The PSU game had PSU running backs score WITHOUT being touched. Hoy never took a snap all year yet he was expected to win by 50??? Come on. McQueery was barely serviceable at Tech last year and you have him winning half of the Cat games????

Lastly, to claim the Cats would have been better off or will be better off without Dakota is such a ridiculous statement. It is a bitter and petty statement toward a fine young man. Who won the starting job? Was it Bleskinn, Hoy, McQueery or Prukop? But I am sure you are better informed than our coaches. Did the likes of Alabama and Oregon show interest in any other QB at MSU?

We ask our kids to act the right way and say the right things to make our program a premier program that everybody can be proud of. Why can't our fans do the same thing and take the high road?

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun May 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Your Ducks win.

Your Bobcats win.

Dakota Prukop wins.

Your argument is petty and has so many holes in it. Why are you so bent on blaming last years deficiencies on Dakota? It makes no sense to me that a kid who represented our program so well and GRADUATED should be thrown to be wolves. If you put Dakota with a top defense last year, we are playing into December. The early EWU game is a great indication of how our offensive game plans changed to try and compensate for the leaky Defense. Going for 4th downs because we know the opponent is going to score if they get the ball back.

You have so many facts above wrong. SUU had 3 future NFL players on defense. Maybe our offense had struggled because of the quality defense and our coaches lack of an effective game plan. UM had Holmes (another NFL guy) camping in the backfield. In the early part of the season it looked like we only had 3 guys playing he offensive line. Dakota had to run to extend plays. Play calling by Cramsey (and Ash on special teams) was a head scratcher at times when they called for Dakota to run the ball. The PSU game had PSU running backs score WITHOUT being touched. Hoy never took a snap all year yet he was expected to win by 50??? Come on. McQueery was barely serviceable at Tech last year and you have him winning half of the Cat games????

Lastly, to claim the Cats would have been better off or will be better off without Dakota is such a ridiculous statement. It is a bitter and petty statement toward a fine young man. Who won the starting job? Was it Bleskinn, Hoy, McQueery or Prukop? But I am sure you are better informed than our coaches. Did the likes of Alabama and Oregon show interest in any other QB at MSU?

We ask our kids to act the right way and say the right things to make our program a premier program that everybody can be proud of. Why can't our fans do the same thing and take the high road?
You are deliberately misconstruing what I said. Go back and read my post. DP was a very good QB. He had weaknesses, but hey, this is FCS. I think his 2nd team all BSC performances are impressive. Moreover, he did credit to himself, his family, and the program by graduating in 3.5 years. He brought nothing but positive press to the team and to the university. He was CLEARLY head and shoulders a better QB than anyone else on the roster, and in the top 10% in the Big Sky, and probably FCS. And he is a freakishly amazing athlete. He probably could have a full ride to a number of FBS schools in multiple sports.

I don't know why you think I hate Prukop.

John Weidenarr or Bryson McCabe, or Tucker Yates could have QBed last years team to a 5-6 record for exactly the reasons you discussed. Bad D, weird play calling, bad chemistry, bad O-line execution in the clutch, dropped passes, you name it. I'm not blaming any of that on DP.

Lets make it clear: every single game that the Cats won in the last 2 seasons (with the possible exception of Sac State) the Cats dominated in every single facet of the game-Offense, Defense, Special Teams. Because we only beat REALLY REALLY REALLY bad teams. REALLY BAD teams. You don't need a great QB to beat bad teams. You need a great QB to beat closely matched teams. NAU, EWU, 2014 Poly, 2014 SDSU, etc.

Stick with me: With Tucker Yates at QB, we still beat UCD and ETSU. Maybe not by 50. Maybe only by 25. With Tucker Yates at QB, we still lose the same 11 games-maybe not by 1 score, maybe its by 50. But at the end of the day, its all about wins and losses, and for whatever reason (defense, chemistry, coaching), DP was worth exactly 0 wins to this team.

Let me rephrase it this way: if this were a pro team, would you have traded DP for an average BSC starting safety? Absolutely. Every single day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Not because DP was bad, or even average (he was great). But you would make the trade because DP was irrelevant.

And at the end of the day, thats the problem. We had an all time great QB, but he was irrelevant.

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Sun May 29, 2016 10:04 pm

onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Your Ducks win.

Your Bobcats win.

Dakota Prukop wins.

You are deliberately misconstruing what I said. Go back and read my post. DP was a very good QB. He had weaknesses, but hey, this is FCS. I think his 2nd team all BSC performances are impressive. Moreover, he did credit to himself, his family, and the program by graduating in 3.5 years. He brought nothing but positive press to the team and to the university. He was CLEARLY head and shoulders a better QB than anyone else on the roster, and in the top 10% in the Big Sky, and probably FCS. And he is a freakishly amazing athlete. He probably could have a full ride to a number of FBS schools in multiple sports.

I don't know why you think I hate Prukop.

John Weidenarr or Bryson McCabe, or Tucker Yates could have QBed last years team to a 5-6 record for exactly the reasons you discussed. Bad D, weird play calling, bad chemistry, bad O-line execution in the clutch, dropped passes, you name it. I'm not blaming any of that on DP.

Lets make it clear: every single game that the Cats won in the last 2 seasons (with the possible exception of Sac State) the Cats dominated in every single facet of the game-Offense, Defense, Special Teams. Because we only beat REALLY REALLY REALLY bad teams. REALLY BAD teams. You don't need a great QB to beat bad teams. You need a great QB to beat closely matched teams. NAU, EWU, 2014 Poly, 2014 SDSU, etc.

Stick with me: With Tucker Yates at QB, we still beat UCD and ETSU. Maybe not by 50. Maybe only by 25. With Tucker Yates at QB, we still lose the same 11 games-maybe not by 1 score, maybe its by 50. But at the end of the day, its all about wins and losses, and for whatever reason (defense, chemistry, coaching), DP was worth exactly 0 wins to this team.

Let me rephrase it this way: if this were a pro team, would you have traded DP for an average BSC starting safety? Absolutely. Every single day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Not because DP was bad, or even average (he was great). But you would make the trade because DP was irrelevant.

And at the end of the day, thats the problem. We had an all time great QB, but he was irrelevant.
DP is far from irrelevant without DPS THREAT TO RUN CHAD IS IRRELEVANT AT RB!! Talent wise the Cats were not there other than DP . It's not DPS FAULT THE DEFENSE USUALLY GAVE UP A LONG TOUCHDOWN ON THE FIRST PLAY!! Thanks to the defense ,for giving up quick scores the offense averaged 90 plays a game! THE TALENT ISNT THERE TO PUT TUCKER YATES IN AND WIN THE SAME GAMES AS DP FACT!!! DP made everyone around him better other than the defense!! Yes ASH made some boneheaded calls on 4th downs and two point conversions but none of them cost you any games! I

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon May 30, 2016 12:13 pm

Saying Tucker Yates could go 5-6 last year as Bobcat QB is the dumbest thing I've read in my 17 years here between BN and the old ESPN board. Saying Prukop is to blame for a historically awful defense is a close second. This board after the EWU game was as dumb as egriz with posters blaming Dakota for not scoring on literally every possession because the defense was a one massive sieve. The defense couldn't catch a cold but hey it's the QB's fault they lost.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Mon May 30, 2016 12:39 pm

onceacat wrote:
PapaG wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Your Ducks win.

Your Bobcats win.

Dakota Prukop wins.

Yes putting up 35 points on the Griz defense is sure embarrassing! Totally Pruko's fault the Griz had 31 points without the first quarter and a half of the game, right?

Did you hear that the Griz offense just scored again. I blame Prukop!

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:14 pm

Cat-Griz summed up Prukop's career. He gets the score to start the game after the D gets a three and out. MSU allows just a field goal the next two UM possessions, but MSU doesn't score to take 14-0 or 14-3 leads. MSU gets way behind and Prukop rallies them to within nine, but can't keep up the pace. His final play is a 37 yard run that ends in a lost fumble.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon May 30, 2016 4:22 pm

PapaG wrote:Saying Tucker Yates could go 5-6 last year as Bobcat QB is the dumbest thing I've read in my 17 years here between BN and the old ESPN board. Saying Prukop is to blame for a historically awful defense is a close second. This board after the EWU game was as dumb as egriz with posters blaming Dakota for not scoring on literally every possession because the defense was a one massive sieve. The defense couldn't catch a cold but hey it's the QB's fault they lost.
Okay someone finally said it :). It's amazing how spoiled some fans are now days. Go back to the old days and we would have KILLED for someone like Dakota at QB. Just look at his highlight film. I bet every Dakota critic on here was jumping and giving someone a high five in the stands after every TD drive he engineered (and there were a lot of them!).

Let's start another Ash type thread but name it "The worst TD Dakota Prukop scored for the Cats".

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon May 30, 2016 5:58 pm

Some folks seem to struggle with reading comprehension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon May 30, 2016 6:47 pm

No, after careful thought, Papa and Cataholic are right. Eastern Tennessee pretty much had the cats outclassed at every position except QB. Thank God we had Prukop, because there is no way we even belonged on the field with Ft. Lewis.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue May 31, 2016 9:23 am

DP is far from irrelevant without DPS THREAT TO RUN CHAD IS IRRELEVANT AT RB!! Talent wise the Cats were not there other than DP.
Chad Newell in non-Dakota Prukop games (the last three games of the 2014 season):

Idaho State - Jake Bleskin

18 carries for 110 yards - 1 touchdown
4 catches for 21 yards

Montana - Jake Bleskin

17 carries for 67 yards - 1 touchdown
2 catches for 44 yards

South Dakota State - Dakota Prukop (was not a running threat in this game at all)

24 carries for 101 yards - 5 touchdowns
2 catches for 42 yards

In games where Dakota Prukop isn't a running threat, Chad has averaged around 5 yards a carry and 13 yards a catch. Also, saying Chad is irrelevant means you haven't been to any Bobcat games in the last three years. As a freshman, the kid almost willed us to a comeback against Southern Utah in spot duty. Try again Catsack.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 31, 2016 9:36 am

People blamed the defense, rightfully so and there's a clear consensus on that, for the struggles in 2015. If you do that, however, it opens everything else up to scrutiny. One other area where MSU struggled was extending drives at key moments in the game. Key moments don't always come at the end of games. They can occur at any time...midway through the first quarter, right before half, any time. When that happens you have to look at the QB. When EWU, NAU and UM got out to big leads Prukop's play was a part of it. When So. Utah pulled away late in the third quarter, he had a turnover and took a huge (20 yards?) sack. When we didn't take the game away from UND, he had a turnover and a errant pass to a wide open receiver. It was a recurring theme. No one is saying he can't ever make a mistake in those moments, but if you ignore them all and you're laying ALL the blame on the defense you're just lying to yourself. If in two of those five games he comes through in those moments, MSU is 7-4 and you can make a better case for him being not just a great quarterback instead of a great athlete playing quarterback well.