Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: Colorado CB John Walker -- grad transfer to MSU

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:11 pm

lutecat wrote:Yeah. Let's just hold off on talking about the disappointment in a player that played for us. You can say you are disappointed his career didn't turn out as expected. A waste of a scholarship? That's harsh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Harsh? Sure. Wrong? No. Hardly played, got in trouble, didn't make a positive impact on or off the field. I think we can safely call that a scholarship that could've/should've been used elsewhere.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:20 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
lutecat wrote:Yeah. Let's just hold off on talking about the disappointment in a player that played for us. You can say you are disappointed his career didn't turn out as expected. A waste of a scholarship? That's harsh.

Harsh? Sure. Wrong? No. Hardly played, got in trouble, didn't make a positive impact on or off the field. I think we can safely call that a scholarship that could've/should've been used elsewhere.
He got beat out at QB by Dakota Prukop. No shame in that. He didn't pout and switched to WR, a position he hadn't played in four years. He was contributing until injuries got the best of him. If that established him as a 'scholarship that could've been used elsewhere,' then he's on a very long list.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:26 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

He got beat out at QB by Dakota Prukop. No shame in that. He didn't pout and switched to WR, a position he hadn't played in four years. He was contributing until injuries got the best of him. If that established him as a 'scholarship that could've been used elsewhere,' then he's on a very long list.
The Past is the Past, perhaps we need a Frozen let it go meme to put it to rest, but I don't think we need to rehash TR's career. No one knows what he had going on, life sucks sometimes and smashes you in the face with a 2x4.

How bout we get back to just being happy we're getting much needed help at corner, and we're all glad to have John Walker here in Bozeman.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:51 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

It wasn't injuries that kept him out last year, it was his attitude. To be blunt, if he was from a different town and had a different last name, he's off the team. Call it unfair all you like, but you can be damned sure it's true.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue May 03, 2016 7:10 pm

bobcat99 wrote:

Did he graduate? If not, that's a wasted scholarship to me.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:12 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

It wasn't injuries that kept him out last year, it was his attitude. To be blunt, if he was from a different town and had a different last name, he's off the team. Call it unfair all you like, but you can be damned sure it's true.
I won't go into details, but you're way off on this.

If you follow college sports and you find your nameless self ripping a player for reasons that you honestly know you don't have the details on, then it's probably time to step away from it for a few weeks or completely.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue May 03, 2016 7:51 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

If you follow college sports and you find your nameless self ripping a player for reasons that you honestly know you don't have the details on, then it's probably time to step away from it for a few weeks or completely.
Tom. When have I ever posted info on a player that wasn't true?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:02 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

Tom. When have I ever posted info on a player that wasn't true?
You aren't posting info in this case.

toM StUber

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue May 03, 2016 9:52 pm

A big thank you to all the posters on this thread and another recent thread in politely calling out some extremely douchy comments.

I think everyone is pretty disappointed that T-Rod never lit the Big Sky on fire. He got buried in the depth charts in 2 places where the Cats were absolutely stacked (QB, then WR). I have no basis to comment on his personal life-but he certainly never hurt the team publicly like Marino and Knight.

FWIW, Marino wasn't a transfer. He showed up on campus as a Freshman. Which, like some people have pointed out, just points out the changes that expectations can have. Every year, the Cats have between 3-8 scholarship players who leave the program for whatever reason. Many of them are really exciting prospects. I'm guessing something like 30% of those never play a down (Dallas Hayes & Sam Pluker come to mind). Some never make it to campus (Prevost or the O-lineman who passed away). Another third get hit with injuries (Christiansen & Hutchins). & some royally screw up (Roger Trammel)

Vim put together a list of Montana/California/Texas recruits during the offseason. There's nothing in there that suggests that transfers suffer any different fate than our true freshmen recruits (injuries, personal reasons, arrests). We've just seen enough tape of them at a higher level that makes them stick out in our mind.

Every kid that ends up at an FCS school has some issue that prevents him from playing at a higher level. Maybe he's too small (Paige), maybe too slow (Newell), maybe playing the wrong position (Prukop), maybe he has grade or personal issues (Knight). Heck, maybe he just grew up in Manhattan, or Havre, or Dillon and never got a recruiter to look at him. Its pretty rare to get a guy like Sandland that shows up on your doorstep with NFL measurables.

I'm excited for this group of transfers-I'm guessing that out of the bunch, one or two will get kicked off the team, two or three will be fair to middling rotation players, and a couple are going to be all-time Bobcat studs. But I'd certainly hate to name names at this point.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Tue May 03, 2016 11:07 pm

I didn't know that Plucker left the Cats? Football is like anything in college;people leave academic programs all the time.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue May 03, 2016 11:40 pm

Anacomando wrote:I didn't know that Plucker left the Cats? Football is like anything in college;people leave academic programs all the time.
Very true, but I think most people would be less inclined to leave if they had their entire tuition, room, and board paid for by boosters/alumni of the university.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed May 04, 2016 11:11 am

In an attempt to get this back on track....I just spoke with John Walker. This is the type of transfer you want if you're an FCS school. You already know he has the talent to play. He started at nickel as a sophomore in the Pac 12. But drop downs are all about fit. John Walker is a great fit for a whole ton of reasons, namely that he's an excellent student who will earn his undergrad degree this weekend. He wants to pursue a master's in criminology, which Colorado does not offer. He wants to come to Bozeman because he feels Gerald Alexander and Jeff Choate can challenge him to a greater degree than he was experiencing at Colorado. I'll have a full story later this week.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 04, 2016 4:21 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:In an attempt to get this back on track....I just spoke with John Walker. This is the type of transfer you want if you're an FCS school. You already know he has the talent to play. He started at nickel as a sophomore in the Pac 12. But drop downs are all about fit. John Walker is a great fit for a whole ton of reasons, namely that he's an excellent student who will earn his undergrad degree this weekend. He wants to pursue a master's in criminology, which Colorado does not offer. He wants to come to Bozeman because he feels Gerald Alexander and Jeff Choate can challenge him to a greater degree than he was experiencing at Colorado. I'll have a full story later this week.
Okay, okay! I'm back on track, I'm back on track. Info like this has that effect on me. :D

You have to be solid in the secondary in the BSC. The NDSU-UM series last year is proof of that.

toM StUber

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed May 04, 2016 5:59 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Colter_Nuanez wrote:In an attempt to get this back on track....I just spoke with John Walker. This is the type of transfer you want if you're an FCS school. You already know he has the talent to play. He started at nickel as a sophomore in the Pac 12. But drop downs are all about fit. John Walker is a great fit for a whole ton of reasons, namely that he's an excellent student who will earn his undergrad degree this weekend. He wants to pursue a master's in criminology, which Colorado does not offer. He wants to come to Bozeman because he feels Gerald Alexander and Jeff Choate can challenge him to a greater degree than he was experiencing at Colorado. I'll have a full story later this week.
Okay, okay! I'm back on track, I'm back on track. Info like this has that effect on me. :D

You have to be solid in the secondary in the BSC. The NDSU-UM series last year is proof of that.
"Yer probably asking yourself- HEY MATT, how can we get back on the right track!!!"

FTG- GO CATS GO!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed May 04, 2016 6:42 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

"Yer probably asking yourself- HEY MATT, how can we get back on the right track!!!"
It's the 32 belly option. On 2. On 2.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ndfLW-xm9Xk

toM StUber

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:24 pm

That's good to hear Colter, I hope Strong isn't ready to just roll over and give up his spot. If Strong works hard I think he's going to be a great shutdown corner.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed May 04, 2016 8:33 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
That's good to hear Colter, I hope Strong isn't ready to just roll over and give up his spot. If Strong works hard I think he's going to be a great shutdown corner.
Couldn't agree more. I really wish he would have been able to redshirt last season. Give him an entire year to learn the speed of the game at the college level and get bigger, faster, and stronger. He's a tremendous athlete and is going to be really good. Maybe not this year but he will get there. If he isn't a starter this year I'd love to see him get a lot of time as the nickel corner. I really feel that with the Walker and Hale additions and Dodd moving to corner that group is going to be head and shoulders above the 2015 season's group.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:37 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Couldn't agree more. I really wish he would have been able to redshirt last season. Give him an entire year to learn the speed of the game at the college level and get bigger, faster, and stronger. He's a tremendous athlete and is going to be really good. Maybe not this year but he will get there. If he isn't a starter this year I'd love to see him get a lot of time as the nickel corner. I really feel that with the Walker and Hale additions and Dodd moving to corner that group is going to be head and shoulders above the 2015 season's group.
What about Strong being moved to Safety?? He has great size. Just a thought but I think he could succeed there - especially with talk of Konkol being moved down to linebacker down the road

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
What about Strong being moved to Safety?? He has great size. Just a thought but I think he could succeed there - especially with talk of Konkol being moved down to linebacker down the road
I'm sure he could but IMO it would be better for the team for him to serve as depth at Corner. It will be nice to be able to rotate a few really talented guys in at Corner, especially against spread teams. GOD is it September yet!!!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu May 05, 2016 6:21 am

Strong will see the the field.
With the up-tempo offenses that we're seeing, we will be rotating DBs in and out....a lot, just to keep them at full strength.
With offenses like UM's, we will be in nickle....a lot.

The more quality DBs, the better.