Ioanes future

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Ioanes future

Post by KittieKop » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:14 am

seataccat wrote:I think it is a very bad day in bobcat football history when a coach that commands as much respect from the players as Kane Ioane is shown the door. He is arguably the best player in the history of the program and is the epitome of bobcat football. When he shows up to recruit a player he gets the attention of everyone involved. He needs to be retained whatever it takes.
But if he shows up to recruit kids and does such a great job, then why is he not at least partly responsible for the failure to recruit well for the defense for the past several years? It's not like someone just hands him a list and says, "Go get'em." He owns part of why the defense is where it is.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:24 pm

KittieKop wrote:
seataccat wrote:I think it is a very bad day in bobcat football history when a coach that commands as much respect from the players as Kane Ioane is shown the door. He is arguably the best player in the history of the program and is the epitome of bobcat football. When he shows up to recruit a player he gets the attention of everyone involved. He needs to be retained whatever it takes.
But if he shows up to recruit kids and does such a great job, then why is he not at least partly responsible for the failure to recruit well for the defense for the past several years? It's not like someone just hands him a list and says, "Go get'em." He owns part of why the defense is where it is.
As the linebacker position coach I am no sure what control he had on which recruits were pursued. I think those decisions were ultimately made by Ash, Marshal and Beck. I do know first hand that he is a very good influence when recruiting, especially with in state recruits.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Well said!!!!! =D^ =D^

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:40 pm

IMO one of the major reasons for the bad showing by the defensive unit was the implementation of the 3-4 this year. We obviously lacked the speed on the line or bandit position it requires and once the staff finally trashed the damn thing and went back to the old 4-3 the defense showed marked improvement (except for the griz final). I really think that another year of maturity and the addition of some transfers/dropdowns in the secondary is going to make the D into a far better unit next year. Kane is loved and respected by his players and while he IMO hasn't the overall grasp to be a strong candidate for HC he truly represents what Bobcat ball is all about and is one coach I feel we can't afford to lose!!!

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:49 pm

seataccat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
As the linebacker position coach I am no sure what control he had on which recruits were pursued. I think those decisions were ultimately made by Ash, Marshal and Beck. I do know first hand that he is a very good influence when recruiting, especially with in state recruits.
Did his position group over perform or underperform?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:08 pm

onceacat wrote:
seataccat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Did his position group over perform or underperform?
Not sure how to answer except to say his group probably played better than the line or secondary. They led the team in tackles with a sophomore and redshirt freshman starting.

Also, I have heard multiple saying that he is not ready to be a head coach. Why? He is smart, good recruiter, well spoken passionate, a Bobcat legend and the kids love him. Don't tell me he is too young because that is a line of BS. Plenty of young guys are successful coaches. Brad Stevens is the coach of the Celtics and might be you get than Kane. Ash felt he was capable of bigger things and promoted Kane. Heck, Kane held the same position as Marshal who was once "Assistant head coach".

We have some great candidates applying and I am not sure that Kane is the best candidate, but for those of you that keep saying he is not ready, please give us a specific reason why. Is he not a good motivator? Is he poor at public speaking? Is he a bad administrator? I don't buy the age question or that the defense sucked last year. We can all agree that a lot of people contributed to defensive lows last year.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:27 pm

The fact is he will not be retained unless he wants to be an assistant position coach. To me as a new coach coming in I would in no way keep the DC from a bad defense. This is nothing against Kane but just the way it is. Kane doesn't have the DC resume yet to keep in place I don't think. He may in the future. If the current coach came in and the defense went bad again then it would be all on the coach. No coach would do that. I bet the whole defensive staff is gutted. I would keep Cramsey, Deprato (sp), and Kemp. I would like to keep Kane for his recruiting but he would have to take an assistant position spot again probably.

In the end this all sucks. All those coaches have families and what a way to spend Thanksgiving. Very tough. I am sure a lot of them will for sure catch on somewhere else. All I know is wherever coach Ash goes he will do well and I will always be a fan of him and the next team he coaches. He coached with passion and class the way it should be done!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:15 pm

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:The fact is he will not be retained unless he wants to be an assistant position coach. To me as a new coach coming in I would in no way keep the DC from a bad defense. This is nothing against Kane but just the way it is. Kane doesn't have the DC resume yet to keep in place I don't think. He may in the future. If the current coach came in and the defense went bad again then it would be all on the coach. No coach would do that. I bet the whole defensive staff is gutted. I would keep Cramsey, Deprato (sp), and Kemp. I would like to keep Kane for his recruiting but he would have to take an assistant position spot again probably.

In the end this all sucks. All those coaches have families and what a way to spend Thanksgiving. Very tough. I am sure a lot of them will for sure catch on somewhere else. All I know is wherever coach Ash goes he will do well and I will always be a fan of him and the next team he coaches. He coached with passion and class the way it should be done!
I afraid you are right. I hope the future coach takes time to dig into to the facts. Heck it might be Cramsey, maybe Ioane. It might be somebody who knows coach Ash well and respects his opinion and seems his counsel. On another note, I would live to see coach Ash get the South Dakota HC. It would give our assistants some options.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:44 pm

Cataholic wrote:
CARDIAC_CATS wrote:The fact is he will not be retained unless he wants to be an assistant position coach. To me as a new coach coming in I would in no way keep the DC from a bad defense. This is nothing against Kane but just the way it is. Kane doesn't have the DC resume yet to keep in place I don't think. He may in the future. If the current coach came in and the defense went bad again then it would be all on the coach. No coach would do that. I bet the whole defensive staff is gutted. I would keep Cramsey, Deprato (sp), and Kemp. I would like to keep Kane for his recruiting but he would have to take an assistant position spot again probably.

I afraid you are right. I hope the future coach takes time to dig into to the facts. Heck it might be Cramsey, maybe Ioane. It might be somebody who knows coach Ash well and respects his opinion and seems his counsel. On another note, I would live to see coach Ash get the South Dakota HC. It would give our assistants some options.
Yeah that South Dakota job would be a good fit for coach Ash I think. I hope he puts in for it!

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:07 am

We all love Kane, he is a Bobcat Legend. I wish him all the best. But I think there is some wishful thinking going on here. How could you fire the head coach - because he struggled - because of the defense, and retain part of the defensive staff? We had one of the top 3 offenses in the country this year, and still struggled, and struggled so badly that it became the final straw for the HCs job.

If promoting Kane to co-D coordinator and retaining Marshall was the half measure that led to Ash's termination, then keeping on any member of the D-staff will be the half measure that will be screened ahead of time by the hiring committee.

Make no mistake, whether the next HC is Cramsey or an outside hire, it would be foolish to retain anyone on the defensive staff.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:53 am

DriscollCat wrote:We all love Kane, he is a Bobcat Legend. I wish him all the best. But I think there is some wishful thinking going on here. How could you fire the head coach - because he struggled - because of the defense, and retain part of the defensive staff? We had one of the top 3 offenses in the country this year, and still struggled, and struggled so badly that it became the final straw for the HCs job.

If promoting Kane to co-D coordinator and retaining Marshall was the half measure that led to Ash's termination, then keeping on any member of the D-staff will be the half measure that will be screened ahead of time by the hiring committee.

Make no mistake, whether the next HC is Cramsey or an outside hire, it would be foolish to retain anyone on the defensive staff.
If this was the NFL I'd agree with you 100%. But at the college level, you have to consider recruiting as well. If the new staff isn't familiar with Montana and MSU recruiting, they would be smart to keep at least a couple guys from the old staff just for the sake of recruiting.
I'm not saying that includes KI necessarily, but possibly.

Edit: remember both KI and Mac (maybe others?) were retained last time an MSU coach was fired.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:34 am

91catAlum wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:We all love Kane, he is a Bobcat Legend. I wish him all the best. But I think there is some wishful thinking going on here. How could you fire the head coach - because he struggled - because of the defense, and retain part of the defensive staff? We had one of the top 3 offenses in the country this year, and still struggled, and struggled so badly that it became the final straw for the HCs job.

If this was the NFL I'd agree with you 100%. But at the college level, you have to consider recruiting as well. If the new staff isn't familiar with Montana and MSU recruiting, they would be smart to keep at least a couple guys from the old staff just for the sake of recruiting.

Edit: remember both KI and Mac (maybe others?) were retained last time an MSU coach was fired.
Yeah, but KI wasn't at the center of the problem for that coaching change. It is possible that the next coach will not have enough connections to put together a great recruiting team without any of the current staff. In that case, they would probably retain coaches from the offensive staff. It just doesn't make sense to see a "bare cupboard" on defense and keep a defensive coach for recruiting purposes.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:03 pm

DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Yeah, but KI wasn't at the center of the problem for that coaching change. It is possible that the next coach will not have enough connections to put together a great recruiting team without any of the current staff. In that case, they would probably retain coaches from the offensive staff. It just doesn't make sense to see a "bare cupboard" on defense and keep a defensive coach for recruiting purposes.
I really hope the new coach takes a close look at the issues surrounding the defense before making any sweeping judgements on the staff. To say the Kane was DC the last year so he should be fired is simplifying the issues. He inherited a slew of problems from Marshal and to just so everyone should go is shortsighted. If you have good people, you keep them. End of story. The Griz did the same thing with Gregoriak last year.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:18 pm

Cataholic wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I really hope the new coach takes a close look at the issues surrounding the defense before making any sweeping judgements on the staff. To say the Kane was DC the last year so he should be fired is simplifying the issues. He inherited a slew of problems from Marshal and to just so everyone should go is shortsighted. If you have good people, you keep them. End of story. The Griz did the same thing with Gregoriak last year.

Gregoraks HC didn't get fired, he retired. Huge difference. It made lots of sense to keep the successful DC for continuity's sake. What I keep reading on this thread is that Kane Ione and Tim Cramsey are awesome coaches and need to be retained. But, garbage time statistics aside, neither side of the ball fielded a competitive team.

A week ago, I was in the keep Ash camp because I believed in KI & TC. But those are your co-ordinators and both of those units were hugely disappointing. So, you can't throw out the baby (Ash) and keep the bathwater. Now that Ash is gone, I wish those two the best-I think they will both be very good head coaches, but there is no possible way you can keep them here without making a mockery of the entire concept of accountability

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:22 pm

onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Gregoraks HC didn't get fired, he retired. Huge difference. It made lots of sense to keep the successful DC for continuity's sake. What I keep reading on this thread is that Kane Ione and Tim Cramsey are awesome coaches and need to be retained. But, garbage time statistics aside, neither side of the ball fielded a competitive team.

A week ago, I was in the keep Ash camp because I believed in KI & TC. But those are your co-ordinators and both of those units were hugely disappointing. So, you can't throw out the baby (Ash) and keep the bathwater. Now that Ash is gone, I wish those two the best-I think they will both be very good head coaches, but there is no possible way you can keep them here without making a mockery of the entire concept of accountability
Wait a minute. Isn't Cramsey's offense number 1 in the Big Sky and in the top 5 in the nation? I understand what you're saying, but the offense is NOT the reason we're welcoming in a new coach.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:50 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Wait a minute. Isn't Cramsey's offense number 1 in the Big Sky and in the top 5 in the nation? I understand what you're saying, but the offense is NOT the reason we're welcoming in a new coach.
I beg to differ. This season alone, the O failed to get off the bus in Flagstaff & Cheney. If you don't remember, go back and look at the game threads. Once the game was out of hand, the O put up crazy good yardage & points.

The offense's performance dropped off precipitously the end of the season-23 against SUU, 35 agains UM, and 38 against UND. Not bad numbers, but not exactly playoff worthy either. Let me put it this way: 5 different teams scored at least 40 points last weekend, 2 scored over 50. Against playoff caliber defenses. When was the last time Cramsey put 40 on a playoff D? Probably last year in the playoffs.

You can sugar coat this offense with garbage time stats all you want, but at the end of the day, when the O had a chance to keep the game close or to jump out to a lead it flat out got out competed by almost every D in the Big Sky (a conference not known for its inspiring defense). How many times did the Cats end the first half with a score to turn a game into a 1 possession affair? How many game winning drives has this O put together in close games? How many penalties, missed blocks, and dropped passes did the Cats have on 4th & short?

How many all conference players did the #1 O in the conference get? How many all-Americans will come off this offense?

I've been getting called names over this, but despite the crazy good statistical numbers, this offense simply never put it together to win a game. And the D (bad as it was) kept the cats in enough games for the O to pull things out (EWU, UND, SUU).

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:55 pm

onceacat wrote:I'm still lost on all this discussion. How can you fire Ash and possibly even consider keeping any of the existing staff? If Ash bears responsibility for the team, Kane (and JM) bear responsibility for the D, and TC is responsible for our 3 & out offense.

That is, if accountability means anything. If you were just looking for a scapegoat, then I guess TC & KI can stick around. But it tells me that firing Ash was based more on personality and not so much on performance.
It is completely normal for people to be terminated because of their personality. And it makes sense, because personality affects leadership style. And in the case of Rob Ash, I think his leadership style affected the team's performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:57 pm

FTG06' wrote:
onceacat wrote:I'm still lost on all this discussion. How can you fire Ash and possibly even consider keeping any of the existing staff? If Ash bears responsibility for the team, Kane (and JM) bear responsibility for the D, and TC is responsible for our 3 & out offense.

That is, if accountability means anything. If you were just looking for a scapegoat, then I guess TC & KI can stick around. But it tells me that firing Ash was based more on personality and not so much on performance.
It is completely normal for people to be terminated because of their personality. And it makes sense, because personality affects leadership style. And in the case of Rob Ash, I think his leadership style affected the team's performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In a word, soft

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:06 pm

Agree. Something else seems off. But I'm willing to just go with soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:47 pm

onceacat wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I beg to differ. This season alone, the O failed to get off the bus in Flagstaff & Cheney. If you don't remember, go back and look at the game threads. Once the game was out of hand, the O put up crazy good yardage & points.

The offense's performance dropped off precipitously the end of the season-23 against SUU, 35 agains UM, and 38 against UND. Not bad numbers, but not exactly playoff worthy either. Let me put it this way: 5 different teams scored at least 40 points last weekend, 2 scored over 50. Against playoff caliber defenses. When was the last time Cramsey put 40 on a playoff D? Probably last year in the playoffs.

You can sugar coat this offense with garbage time stats all you want, but at the end of the day, when the O had a chance to keep the game close or to jump out to a lead it flat out got out competed by almost every D in the Big Sky (a conference not known for its inspiring defense). How many times did the Cats end the first half with a score to turn a game into a 1 possession affair? How many game winning drives has this O put together in close games? How many penalties, missed blocks, and dropped passes did the Cats have on 4th & short?

How many all conference players did the #1 O in the conference get? How many all-Americans will come off this offense?

I've been getting called names over this, but despite the crazy good statistical numbers, this offense simply never put it together to win a game. And the D (bad as it was) kept the cats in enough games for the O to pull things out (EWU, UND, SUU).

I looked yesterday so don't remember for sure but we either tied the most points scored on um or where second most on the season. They have an above average defense folks. In fact in most games we played we put up the most points vs the opposing team. You guys that say the offense is the problem are crazy. Sure they may have had an off qtr or half and or a game but name any team in history that couldn't be stopped ever for an entire season, that's just stupid talk. The only way I see cramsey at least not being offered the oc position is if we get a big offense guru for head coach. If it's a defensive minded coach and he doesn't want to work with a guy that has put together top ten national offenses two years in a row then I don't want him as our coach. Cramsey may not want to stay as offensive coordinator, separate discussion, but a new coach would be crazy to not ask him to stay and be the common recruiter/ stable guy like ioane and Mac where when ash came in