What can fix the offense

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: What can fix the offense

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:05 pm

I find these interesting stats. In 2014 Big Sky Conference teams played 147 games. Only seven times did a team scoring 40 or more points lose. I guess the math is..if you score 40+ you can figure you will win 95+% of the time. Not surprisingly it was the big offensive producers who sometime got trumped. ISU lost to Eastern 53-56. Eastern lost to Washington 52-59 and Illinois State 46-59. Portland State lost to Sac State 41-48. The Bobcats lost to Eastern 51-52 and South Dakota State 40-47. Sac State lost to the Bobcats 56-59. The Bobcats have now managed to do it 4 times in 17 games...twice they had scored 50 or more.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:27 pm

I'll bite and chime in with what []s is saying. We're entirely too easy to predict. Easily scouted too often. Look at the last few years of whooping butts all season and only throw up 16 pts on three straight opponents?? Late season fades?? Put Paige, Gates, and Brown out there, and then hand off to Brekke. That would be out of our comfort zone.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:15 am

As Matthew Mcconaughey says in his Lincon commercial - "you just gotta find that balance". It would be foolish to put all the speed guys out there at once - that's called tipping your hand. They key is to pick and choose the spots, which Cramsey has done well this season. It's not his fault that Prukop has missed on a number of the deep throws. He's missed a wide-open Brown more than once, overthrown Paige or Gates a number of times and we all know about the underthrow to Brekke last weekend at NAU. In my opinion, that was the biggest missed connection so far this season. Even on the deep ball to Paige at the end of the 3rd (NAU), Prukop slightly overthrew him. Paige almost lost his footing because he had to lean so far forward to make a fingertip grab...

Deep balls in general are a high risk, high reward game anyhow. Just like in basketball, the further the ball has to travel, the more likely it is to be off-target. We start chucking it deep more often and I guarantee you the defense will be on the field more.

More than anything, I've been disappointed in the offensive playcalls in certain situations; the 3rd and long QB keeper at NAU was baffling. The multiple 4th and short attempts consisting of Newell runs up the gut for no gain. My feeling is, in those 4th and short situations, the best option is ALWAYS to keep the ball in Prukop's hands for as long as possible. Run a rollout, read-action bootleg or a pop-pass to a TE or HB. Give him the option to pick it up with his feet or his arm. Make the defense defend more than one thing. Just my 2 cents.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:48 am

Agree with questioning play calling. After the seemingly beautifully orchestrated Cal Poly offensive display, we follow with an WTF NAU effort.

I also wonder why no rollout options. Seems like a natural for a guy like Prukop. He appears to be more accurate throwing on the run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 am

77matcat wrote:Agree with questioning play calling. After the seemingly beautifully orchestrated Cal Poly offensive display, we follow with an WTF NAU effort.

I also wonder why no rollout options. Seems like a natural for a guy like Prukop. He appears to be more accurate throwing on the run.

Again, go look at the Poly play by play. Early in the game: Gates 88 yard td, Sandland 51 yard off flea flicker, Sandland 63 yard TD. Our first score vs NAU was set up by 37 pass to Sandland. We tried to nickel and dime and only scored on one of six after that. Later we open it up and ta-da Paige TDs from 64 and 40, Brekke td from 85.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:24 am

I agree with all the posters saying our O needs to be better. I won't be happy until we get our averages up to 800 yards per game and 60 points. That should be enough to win every remaining game.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Slackjaw
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Slackjaw » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:30 am

Extremely stupid topic. I can't believe this is at 3 pages.

If not this year?.........When?

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:13 am

Slackjaw wrote:Extremely stupid topic. I can't believe this is at 3 pages.
Agreed. One of the most potent offenses in the country and we are looking for solutions on how to fix it. Some good points have been brought up about play calling and line play, but offense is the least of my concerns.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:38 am

In reference to the NAU game the Jacks had been and said they would run a man-to-man defense,we obviously bit and had a Prokup run-first offense to start the game plan, unfortunately they stuck an extra man In the box and kept us shut down the first few series. Once we figured it wasn't a one or two time thing but their game plan we started to throw deep and the offense started clicking on all cylinders, at least that's what IMO happened to cause the slow start. Anyone else see it that way?????

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:11 am

desmond1957 wrote:In reference to the NAU game the Jacks had been and said they would run a man-to-man defense,we obviously bit and had a Prokup run-first offense to start the game plan, unfortunately they stuck an extra man In the box and kept us shut down the first few series. Once we figured it wasn't a one or two time thing but their game plan we started to throw deep and the offense started clicking on all cylinders, at least that's what IMO happened to cause the slow start. Anyone else see it that way?????
Well we only scored on two of our first seven drives. We actually scored on the first drive, then just one of the next six. Not seeing the adjustment or clicking there.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:33 pm

The game was close in score, but we were run over. Last couple of TDs were garbage scores.

Glad we have Cramsey. But shouldn't play caller be getting real time info on what defense is doing and adjust immediately??? Don't we have a few coaches the sit high sending info to coordinators??

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:59 pm

77matcat wrote:The game was close in score, but we were run over. Last couple of TDs were garbage scores.
It reminded me of Cal Poly last year. Yes, we were within 8 and with a miracle could have tied the game but it felt like they whooped us.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:40 pm

77matcat wrote:The game was close in score, but we were run over. Last couple of TDs were garbage scores.

Glad we have Cramsey. But shouldn't play caller be getting real time info on what defense is doing and adjust immediately??? Don't we have a few coaches the sit high sending info to coordinators??

Ideally yes. But some times it takes a few series...or even a half to figure out what they are doing.
For example. Let's say that a Defense has decided in their game plan that on 1st and 2nd downs (predominantely run situations) that they are going to slant their D linemen to the field, or wide side. As an OC, and for guys in the box, all you see is two plays in the first series (if it's a 3 and out). Let' say that the Offense has strength to the field side both times. Can you say that the Defensive game plan is slanting to the Field side or the strong side?

Next series, you have strength to field on 1st down and strength to boundary on 2nd down. Can you say for sure that the Defense is slanting to the Field.

Next series, the Defense decides that on 1st down they're not slanting at all, instead they're bringing the Mike LB. 2nd down we decide to pass and run Turnback protection, which happens to be to the slant.... which can look like either a slant, or a pass rush to the sprinting out QB. Can you say that their gameplan is to slant field?
And so on, and so on.

Then you think you figured it out, and you come out at the half prepared for them to slant field, and that stinking D coordinator (who gets paid too) decides to start slanting boundary, right in to the off-tackle play you had set up to go to the boundary. Oops.

Take that situation, and combine it with all the other nuances that make up such an important part of the game - where is the Front 7 lined up? Is that changing based on situation and place on the field. Coverages? Blitzes? Defensive personnel? etc.

This is one of the main reasons why many teams (like us) have gone to putting so much control in the QB's hands, and taking what the defense gives. I would guess that a good number of our play calls are Run/Pass Options. We don't know pre-snap whether we're running or passing. For example, a simple zone read becomes a Zone Read Pass. 1st the QB runs the Zone Read - End takes QB, hand the ball off - End crashes, QB keeps it. He then reads the OLB - OLB runs with the Bubble, QB runs the ball - OLB runs to tackle QB, QB throws the bubble. There are so many plays that have those options - blocking doesn't change at all for the O-line...they don't even know what play was run until the play is over. But the Run/Pass Options have taken some of the need for off-field adjustments and put them as real time adjustments in the QB's hands. So, many of the adjustments during the game end up being telling the QB what the defense is doing, and helping him figure out how to react to it. Again - not something that you may know after a couple of series.

I don't disagree with you in theory. In fact, my biggest issue in the past has been our lack of having a Plan B. We come in with a game plan, and by gum those dirty Defensive guys created a good plan to stop our Plan A. Well, now what are we going to do........and too often we haven't adjusted well. I think we are better at this on Offense now - but time will tell.

Sorry for the long post, but this is one of the many reasons why I love this game of Football so much. It's extremely physical, extremely emotional, and the chess match is fascinating.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:56 pm

:goodpost:
HelenaCat95 wrote:

Ideally yes. But some times it takes a few series...or even a half to figure out what they are doing...
Last edited by DriscollCat on Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

77matcat
Member # Retired

What can fix the offense

Post by 77matcat » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Helena 95

Thanks for the detail!!!! I have a reasonably good understanding of these complexities but am just frustrated when offense clicks ( cal poly) and then can't seem to make anything work.

Tomorrow will be better

Go Cats!!!!!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks 77. I really do love the game. And love when our offense is all gas, no brakes.
GO CATS

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:29 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:

Ideally yes. But some times it takes a few series...or even a half to figure out what they are doing.
For example. Let's say that a Defense has decided in their game plan that on 1st and 2nd downs (predominantely run situations) that they are going to slant their D linemen to the field, or wide side. As an OC, and for guys in the box, all you see is two plays in the first series (if it's a 3 and out). Let' say that the Offense has strength to the field side both times. Can you say that the Defensive game plan is slanting to the Field side or the strong side?

Next series, you have strength to field on 1st down and strength to boundary on 2nd down. Can you say for sure that the Defense is slanting to the Field.

Next series, the Defense decides that on 1st down they're not slanting at all, instead they're bringing the Mike LB. 2nd down we decide to pass and run Turnback protection, which happens to be to the slant.... which can look like either a slant, or a pass rush to the sprinting out QB. Can you say that their gameplan is to slant field?
And so on, and so on.

Then you think you figured it out, and you come out at the half prepared for them to slant field, and that stinking D coordinator (who gets paid too) decides to start slanting boundary, right in to the off-tackle play you had set up to go to the boundary. Oops.

Take that situation, and combine it with all the other nuances that make up such an important part of the game - where is the Front 7 lined up? Is that changing based on situation and place on the field. Coverages? Blitzes? Defensive personnel? etc.

This is one of the main reasons why many teams (like us) have gone to putting so much control in the QB's hands, and taking what the defense gives. I would guess that a good number of our play calls are Run/Pass Options. We don't know pre-snap whether we're running or passing. For example, a simple zone read becomes a Zone Read Pass. 1st the QB runs the Zone Read - End takes QB, hand the ball off - End crashes, QB keeps it. He then reads the OLB - OLB runs with the Bubble, QB runs the ball - OLB runs to tackle QB, QB throws the bubble. There are so many plays that have those options - blocking doesn't change at all for the O-line...they don't even know what play was run until the play is over. But the Run/Pass Options have taken some of the need for off-field adjustments and put them as real time adjustments in the QB's hands. So, many of the adjustments during the game end up being telling the QB what the defense is doing, and helping him figure out how to react to it. Again - not something that you may know after a couple of series.

I don't disagree with you in theory. In fact, my biggest issue in the past has been our lack of having a Plan B. We come in with a game plan, and by gum those dirty Defensive guys created a good plan to stop our Plan A. Well, now what are we going to do........and too often we haven't adjusted well. I think we are better at this on Offense now - but time will tell.

Sorry for the long post, but this is one of the many reasons why I love this game of Football so much. It's extremely physical, extremely emotional, and the chess match is fascinating.
Awesome Post!

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:17 am

The only thing I would like to see in this offense is more of LaSane and Dodd. We can use their speed. It would add another dimension out there.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:56 am

We scored on our first two possessions, then went flat. Punt, punt, punt, punt, TD, interception, punt. That's one score in seven drives. That won't cut it. If we were playing EWU or NAU we'd be down 42-21 midway through the third quarter.

The good news is we're good, but can be a lot better once we get less predictable.

DriscollCat

Post by DriscollCat » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:14 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:We scored on our first two possessions, then went flat. Punt, punt, punt, punt, TD, interception, punt. That's one score in seven drives. That won't cut it. If we were playing EWU or NAU we'd be down 42-21 midway through the third quarter.

The good news is we're good, but can be a lot better once we get less predictable.
Just for a comparison, here is how Eastern did in their first 8 possessions against Sac:

touchdown
punt
punt
punt
interception
end of half
fumble
touchdown

If you don't like the end of half drive, replace it with the next drive: fumble.

At the half of their game against the same opponent, Eastern had 7 points. We had 21.