Athletic Dir or Prez

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: Athletic Dir or Prez

Post by John K » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:22 pm

91catAlum wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:I'm pretty sure that replacing the turf is up next as far as anything in the stadium. It's about at its life expectancy.
Isn't its life expectancy 20 years?
I know it's not the same kind as ours, although I believe it's fairly comparable, but I think UM replaced theirs after about 10 years or so. Ours was installed in 2008, so this coming fall will be the 8th season for ours.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:40 pm

John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:I'm pretty sure that replacing the turf is up next as far as anything in the stadium. It's about at its life expectancy.
I know it's not the same kind as ours, although I believe it's fairly comparable, but I think UM replaced theirs after about 10 years or so. Ours was installed in 2008, so this coming fall will be the 8th season for ours.
Well I'm sure since they cost the same, we''ll do the stands 1st. ](*,)

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:41 pm

John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
I don't think its at the end of its life expectancy, but from what I hear from others is it was a bad product, A very cheaply made turf.
While I would like to see our stadium upgraded, I don't see that happening for a while. Not unless someone starts a fundraising campaign, and contacts every MSU alum to donate, maybe that would kick start it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:03 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
I don't think its at the end of its life expectancy, but from what I hear from others is it was a bad product, A very cheaply made turf.
While I would like to see our stadium upgraded, I don't see that happening for a while. Not unless someone starts a fundraising campaign, and contacts every MSU alum to donate, maybe that would kick start it.
I guess there always can be a debate about Fieldturf vs. Sprinturf, but if I remember correctly. The only complaints are about the seams around the logos?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
John K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
I guess there always can be a debate about Fieldturf vs. Sprinturf, but if I remember correctly. The only complaints are about the seams around the logos?
That could be the case, if I remember right, it took awhile for the players to get used to it and to find the right cleats. I remember some banter about cleats getting stuck in it when we first got it.

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by norcal cat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:11 am

Field Turf has a life expectancy is 8-12 years so figure on replacing it every 10 years. It's actually the UV rays that wears out the field and not the use of the field. Also the replacement cost of the field is far less than the initial cost, since it doesn't require any grading and much of the rubber and sand mixture can be cleaned and reused.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:45 am

norcal cat wrote:Field Turf has a life expectancy is 8-12 years so figure on replacing it every 10 years. It's actually the UV rays that wears out the field and not the use of the field. Also the replacement cost of the field is far less than the initial cost, since it doesn't require any grading and much of the rubber and sand mixture can be cleaned and reused.
Well if it's the UV rays then why the heck haven't we built a dome? Peter Fields. I swear. :wink:
But seriously that's a good post. The cost of new turf isn't gonna break the bank.

dencat91
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by dencat91 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Gee I know Im not that bright, but id the UV rays are hard on the turf, how about we spend money on a cover for the field so that the life can be extended and cut costs down the road. Spend a little to save alot. And find ways to cut back on use outside of the games?????? Like practicing on it less.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Does anybody in the BSC have a natural grass field? Can we get a 2 for 1 deal on turf? One for a practice field and a new one for the stadium :D Nevermind. Just build an indoor practice facility instead. \:D/

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by norcal cat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:52 pm

dencat91 wrote:Gee I know Im not that bright, but id the UV rays are hard on the turf, how about we spend money on a cover for the field so that the life can be extended and cut costs down the road. Spend a little to save alot. And find ways to cut back on use outside of the games?????? Like practicing on it less.
The amount of use of the field doesn't effect it. They could use it everyday for 8 hours and it would still be the UV rays that would require the replacement. The covering of a field has been brought up before but from my knowledge I've never seen it used. It would have to be a heavy tarp (like a baseball infield trap) for it not to blow away in high winds.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:15 pm

norcal cat wrote:
dencat91 wrote:Gee I know Im not that bright, but id the UV rays are hard on the turf, how about we spend money on a cover for the field so that the life can be extended and cut costs down the road. Spend a little to save alot. And find ways to cut back on use outside of the games?????? Like practicing on it less.
The amount of use of the field doesn't effect it. They could use it everyday for 8 hours and it would still be the UV rays that would require the replacement. The covering of a field has been brought up before but from my knowledge I've never seen it used. It would have to be a heavy tarp (like a baseball infield trap) for it not to blow away in high winds.
I could be way of base here, however the covering could be strapped into hooks along the edge of the stadium correct? I'd think if the UV rays do that much damage, we could have a cover that would be on the field for 85% of the time, that should extend the life of the turf to roughly 20-30 years. Again I could be way off base but this seems like a huge cost savings to us. Maybe when we replace the current turf we invest in a cover, to prolong the life of the next turf.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:29 pm

While this UV cover sounds reasonable I find it hard to believe that if its true that no one is using one. Or are they? Maybe be UV wear coincides with general wear and tear, so it's not worth the investment.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:45 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Does anybody in the BSC have a natural grass field? Can we get a 2 for 1 deal on turf? One for a practice field and a new one for the stadium :D Nevermind. Just build an indoor practice facility instead. \:D/
Davis still has grass, but its a pretty nice field.

Is UNC still grass?.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:20 am

cats2506 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Does anybody in the BSC have a natural grass field? Can we get a 2 for 1 deal on turf? One for a practice field and a new one for the stadium :D Nevermind. Just build an indoor practice facility instead. \:D/
Davis still has grass, but its a pretty nice field.

Is UNC still grass?.
UNC is still grass, as is Poly.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Sun May 24, 2015 12:34 pm

I am a little bummed we haven't built an indoor practice facility yet. Who else in the Big Sky have them?? I know of:
Weber State:

Looks like UND is moving forward with their IPF mulit-use (football and T&F)
http://www.grandforksherald.com/content ... hes-closer

Some of our players had better facilities in high school! you'd think we'd be able to pull it off, and I bet our Nov-Dec W-L record would improve.

Euless Trinity High School Indoor Practice Facility
ImageImage

Other High School IPF's
Massillon Ohio -- where Cody Kempt's little brother practiced
ImageImage

Highland Park (Dallas)
ImageImage

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Sun May 24, 2015 7:17 pm

I seemed to recall when they first installed the new turf that the cost savings in maintaining the grass field over 10 years would allow them to replace it (assuming they have been saving the maintenance costs off they used to have). Plus isn't there now a stadium fee included in the price of the season tickets?). Like was stated above it will not cost as much this time since all the ground leveling and drainage has been done.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun May 24, 2015 10:29 pm

Maybe we could use Laurel's bleachers on game day and bus the team there for practices...