Athletic Dir or Prez

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

dencat91
BobcatNation Letterman

Athletic Dir or Prez

Post by dencat91 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:07 pm

I have not seen anything out here lately reporting on the athletic director and the Prez. Did Pete and Cruz only have a crush on Denarius. No love for Prukop? I figured they would be leveraging Dakota like crazy in fund raising for the next stadium upgrade. We need to get this done. Not just for football but all of MSU sports. If we get the east grandstands done we will be able to re task other funds for other sports. Kind of like the old Reaganomics. Or trickle down economics for the younger crowd. I get worried that someone is going to get hurt on those stands, if they are as bad as some say they are, and sue the school. Or maybe an inspector might take a look and say they are unsafe and dis-allow their use or force expensive repairs for something that is to be replaced. I know people are tired of me beating this to death, but the longer we wait the more expensive it is going to get. Maybe we are not going to get anymore donations like we did a few years ago. Has the well run dry, Pete or Cruz?????? If I hit the Lotto I guarantee the first donation I make is to get rid of the east grand stands. Can we start another fund raiser or is that already being put together? It wont be long before we will have to remodel the west side or make expensive repairs or updates, because it has been since what 1998 since any work has been done to it. The last 15 years of use has not been easy on that side either. Interest rates are about to go up. Money is cheap right now, or cheap in relation to what it will be in years to come. I think we should borrow the money now, and let revenue and donations pay it off as it comes in. I think it can be done. What does everyone else think?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Athletic Dir or Prez

Post by allcat » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:33 pm

dencat91 wrote:I have not seen anything out here lately reporting on the athletic director and the Prez. Did Pete and Cruz only have a crush on Denarius. No love for Prukop? I figured they would be leveraging Dakota like crazy in fund raising for the next stadium upgrade. We need to get this done. Not just for football but all of MSU sports. If we get the east grandstands done we will be able to re task other funds for other sports. Kind of like the old Reaganomics. Or trickle down economics for the younger crowd. I get worried that someone is going to get hurt on those stands, if they are as bad as some say they are, and sue the school. Or maybe an inspector might take a look and say they are unsafe and dis-allow their use or force expensive repairs for something that is to be replaced. I know people are tired of me beating this to death, but the longer we wait the more expensive it is going to get. Maybe we are not going to get anymore donations like we did a few years ago. Has the well run dry, Pete or Cruz?????? If I hit the Lotto I guarantee the first donation I make is to get rid of the east grand stands. Can we start another fund raiser or is that already being put together? It wont be long before we will have to remodel the west side or make expensive repairs or updates, because it has been since what 1998 since any work has been done to it. The last 15 years of use has not been easy on that side either. Interest rates are about to go up. Money is cheap right now, or cheap in relation to what it will be in years to come. I think we should borrow the money now, and let revenue and donations pay it off as it comes in. I think it can be done. What does everyone else think?
If you give the first 2 million, I will match the amount I gave last time.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:12 pm

dencat91 wrote:I have not seen anything out here lately reporting on the athletic director and the Prez. Did Pete and Cruz only have a crush on Denarius. No love for Prukop? I figured they would be leveraging Dakota like crazy in fund raising for the next stadium upgrade. We need to get this done. Not just for football but all of MSU sports. If we get the east grandstands done we will be able to re task other funds for other sports. Kind of like the old Reaganomics. Or trickle down economics for the younger crowd. I get worried that someone is going to get hurt on those stands, if they are as bad as some say they are, and sue the school. Or maybe an inspector might take a look and say they are unsafe and dis-allow their use or force expensive repairs for something that is to be replaced. I know people are tired of me beating this to death, but the longer we wait the more expensive it is going to get. Maybe we are not going to get anymore donations like we did a few years ago. Has the well run dry, Pete or Cruz?????? If I hit the Lotto I guarantee the first donation I make is to get rid of the east grand stands. Can we start another fund raiser or is that already being put together? It wont be long before we will have to remodel the west side or make expensive repairs or updates, because it has been since what 1998 since any work has been done to it. The last 15 years of use has not been easy on that side either. Interest rates are about to go up. Money is cheap right now, or cheap in relation to what it will be in years to come. I think we should borrow the money now, and let revenue and donations pay it off as it comes in. I think it can be done. What does everyone else think?
Not sure if you lost perspective or just got greedy but it's not going to happen unless a surprise donation of at least $10M appears. That upgrade you refer too has been quoted at $10M. The end zone project was the first major improvement in about 15 years. It will be another 5+ before they pay off the existing expansion. We are MSU not UM or Texas A&M. Our stadium is great. Yes, it could be better but it takes time for those improvements!!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:11 am

There were only 700 donors to the 2010 EZ project. So while I'm happy and proud I contributed, my small contribution was pretty little in the scope of the what, $6 million dollars that were raised. And I can only guess a good chunk of those 700 were smaller donors like me. What I'm saying is I agree with gtapp, while it might not take one $10 million donation, its going to take those same $25,000, $50,000, $250,000 donors to come back again this time and donate again. And there would be bonding again, I'm sure. I can guarantee the 2011 expansion is nowhere near paid off, and maybe someone knows this, but I suspect we're still paying the 1998 construction bond too. At least we were when the 2011 expansion was done.

The east stands won't be done until the whole amount is raised, or at least the 1998 construction bond is retired. Was it 20 years? If so, 2018? Would fit in with what I thought someone around here mentioned about a year ago. Wasn't there rumblings about something happening before or after the 2017 season concerning the east stands and north EZ?

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:13 am

700 donors was an astoundingly low number and really took the developers by surprise. There were some deep pockets that committed to the success and saw the campaign through despite the low turnout. That's hard to repeat.

The OP is off in his thinking IMO. I agree that we are looking at 2018 at best but nobody needs to be thrown under the bus. Just the opposite actually.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:09 am

I don't think I can,
I don't think I can,
I don't think I can,
I don't think I can...
I know I can't,
I know I can't,
I know I can't,
I know I can't.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:19 am

What the athletic department told me a year ago is that since the EZ project is done the focus is now on the other sports at MSU. And while football is the most popular sport and generates the most revenue this is college and I agree that all athletes deserve a quality venue.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by norcal cat » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:30 am

gtapp wrote:What the athletic department told me a year ago is that since the EZ project is done the focus is now on the other sports at MSU. And while football is the most popular sport and generates the most revenue this is college and I agree that all athletes deserve a quality venue.
I agree as well and I think MSU has addressed most of the other sports over the last couple of years. The track got 1,200 seats a couple of years ago and the Fieldhouse got 4 million put into it, so maybe it is time to look at the stadium again.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:32 am

gtapp wrote:What the athletic department told me a year ago is that since the EZ project is done the focus is now on the other sports at MSU. And while football is the most popular sport and generates the most revenue this is college and I agree that all athletes deserve a quality venue.
That could change when the op ponies up the first 2 million.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:33 am

At some point in the next several years, the east side will start to become a safety concern. Walking up the stairs between 112 and 113 there are holes rusted all the way thru the kick part of the steps. Could be other spots too but that's the only one I walk up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:37 am

Honest questions, because I don't know...
but what program(s) are currently being under served in terms of "quality venue"?
How much more revenue is being generated via the EZ expansion? Is it servicing the construction debt and/or being spread around the athletic department?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:39 pm

I think we are sitting pretty good with the other sports with all the recent renovations. They need to put a little money into the east side, but the fact they haven't done a full blown renovation/repair, might be a clue toward something being done in the next few years.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Hawks86 wrote:I think we are sitting pretty good with the other sports with all the recent renovations. They need to put a little money into the east side, but the fact they haven't done a full blown renovation/repair, might be a clue toward something being done in the next few years.
Maybe you answered my question. Looks like the football program is the one in need of facility improvement.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:12 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I don't think I can,
I don't think I can,
I don't think I can,
I don't think I can...
I know I can't,
I know I can't,
I know I can't,
I know I can't.

Exactly!!! Let's turn this thinking around......not the reasons we can't get this done..but how we can get it done! Did anyone think 5 years ago that we'd have $75 million in alumni donations to build a new business school and engineering innovation building?

dencat91
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by dencat91 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:11 pm

My intention was not to throw anyone under the bus, but to maybe get the talks going. In the hopes that it may get Bobcat fans motivated, and to see why havee not really created any pubilcity around Dakota. Maybe they do not want another premadonna (sp) on their hands. wink wink. If their are plans they should announce something, even if it will be next year. It could possibly snowball into something like the EZ. If I remember donations small and large paid for the majority of it 4M to 6M. Correct me if I am wrong. But the simple fact remains that the fed raising rates this fall or early next year will definitely raise the cost of replacement. Even if the funds are borrowed I would think the long term costs of running the program would drop significantly. Not just football either. Meaning funding and managing other sports will cost much less because future funding for football will be lower. Think about it. If the eastside is built out of precast concrete, the expected life span is quite high. We also need to look at the fact of viewership. Seating capacity will not need much more improvement unless the Bozeman area population suddenly spikes. And even that does not guarantee more fans. Taking on a financial obligation now may make operating the whole athletic department much easier in the future. I think donations are great, but I dont think they are something we should depend on from here on out. If they come in, great then pay things off ahead of schedule or use them to cut costs elsewhere.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:19 pm

I'm pretty sure that replacing the turf is up next as far as anything in the stadium. It's about at its life expectancy.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:50 pm

The only way to do any expansion/renovation is the same way we did the SEZ which pays for itself with ticket sales. The 30 year loan/bond? on the west side is simply throwing money away .

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:20 pm

LTown Cat wrote:I'm pretty sure that replacing the turf is up next as far as anything in the stadium. It's about at its life expectancy.
Isn't its life expectancy 20 years?

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:20 pm

91catAlum wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:I'm pretty sure that replacing the turf is up next as far as anything in the stadium. It's about at its life expectancy.
No idea. I just heard that's what's next because it's really showing the wear and tear.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:22 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
No idea. I just heard that's what's next because it's really showing the wear and tear.
Gotcha. I could be totally wrong on that. I just seemed to remember something about 20 years when EWU had their red turf put in.