Possible replacement names

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: Possible replacement names

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:32 pm

I would think Ash would go after somebody from Iowa. He would replace Mac as the recruiter in the midwest, and be very familiar to Ash.

2024 Resume dominance

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:38 pm

I would have absolutely no qualms with bringing Scott Gragg in. I have no idea if he's interested, but he's a good coach, a good recruiter and a hard worker. I actually see his time with the Griz as a positive. He has strong ties all over the state of Montana.

If he's interested I'd like them keep Quinn Catalano as a GA with an eye toward developing him as an O-line coach. Smart guy with good technique who has playing experience at every position.
Last edited by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:27 am

Realistically, I'd like to see Ash bring in a Texas high school assistant coach just getting a feel for the collegiate responsibilites and time requirements for this position. If he's a dedicated individual, MSU could get a couple of decent years production out of him before he decides to go on with his career at the collegiate level or return to the relative security of high school coaching.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:13 am

Cat Grad wrote:Realistically, I'd like to see Ash bring in a Texas high school assistant coach just getting a feel for the collegiate responsibilites and time requirements for this position. If he's a dedicated individual, MSU could get a couple of decent years production out of him before he decides to go on with his career at the collegiate level or return to the relative security of high school coaching.
We now have Jody from Texas, I wouldn't see any advantage of a Texas guy.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:01 am

Can you ever have too strong of a Texas connection?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:13 am

Cataholic wrote:Can you ever have too strong of a Texas connection?
I'd just like to see other areas where we could gain a recruiting advantage. Isn't Flynn from Iowa?

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:16 am

allcat wrote:
I'd just like to see other areas where we could gain a recruiting advantage. Isn't Flynn from Iowa?
Yep....Flynn is from Iowa.

Shall we list the starters from the past 3 years who hail from Texas?

It would seem to me the ROI of recruiting funds is much stronger in texas than nearly anywhere else.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:28 am

Personally, I don't really particularly care much where we find our new O-line coach. I just want the best person for the job, and I would think the primary consideration for an assistant coach is how well he is able to, you know, coach. Recruiting ties would be a secondary consideration and certainly a bonus. However, I think the most effective recruiting method is being able to say, "hey, look at Player X, Y, and Z - I coached these guys and made them All-Americans. And our team won the Big Sky, we went to the playoffs, etc." Develop a winning program and a dominant position group, and you will get good players that want to come play for you.

GO CATS GO!!!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:30 am

BozoneCat wrote:Personally, I don't really particularly care much where we find our new O-line coach. I just want the best person for the job, and I would think the primary consideration for an assistant coach is how well he is able to, you know, coach. Recruiting ties would be a secondary consideration and certainly a bonus. However, I think the most effective recruiting method is being able to say, "hey, look at Player X, Y, and Z - I coached these guys and made them All-Americans. And our team won the Big Sky, we went to the playoffs, etc." Develop a winning program and a dominant position group, and you will get good players that want to come play for you.
I agree, I just want a great coach. I think guys like Person or Samson would be great, strictly for the program enthusiasm.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:01 pm

wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:

It would seem to me the ROI of recruiting funds is much stronger in texas than nearly anywhere else.
I think recruiting Iowa includes Minnesota and Wisconsin. There are 15 million people in those three states and just one, that I know of, FCS school. Seems like a good place for us to dabble in, but I agree that Texas is a more target-rich environment.

My most reassuring notion is that Ash has probably planned for the day Mac would leakage. So he probably has someone in mind. I know a lot of people dislike Ash, but he does hire good assistants.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:29 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:

I think recruiting Iowa includes Minnesota and Wisconsin. There are 15 million people in those three states and just one, that I know of, FCS school. Seems like a good place for us to dabble in, but I agree that Texas is a more target-rich environment.

My most reassuring notion is that Ash has probably planned for the day Mac would leakage. So he probably has someone in mind. I know a lot of people dislike Ash, but he does hire good assistants.

Since this day started out as belligerent Tuesday for everybody else today, may I mention Marshall...

Bornbobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Bornbobcat » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:20 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:

I'm fairly certain that is where NDSU gets most of their players. A majority being from Minnesota.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:27 pm

Bornbobcat wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:

I'm fairly certain that is where NDSU gets most of their players. A majority being from Minnesota.
That whole area is rich with football talent and for a long while the Bobcats got their fair share. Hope we can continue to make in roads. And speaking of coach Ash, I, for one, like him.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:51 pm

After Ash's coaching carousel this off-season, he's made some great picks, at least in my mind. I have full confidence before whomever takes the reins from coach Mac, we'll be ok.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:21 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:

Since this day started out as belligerent Tuesday for everybody else today, may I mention Marshall...
No you may not

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:53 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:

No you may not

Just because I'm fairly certain you've had a couple bottles of your heart medication in the form of Copper John Ale, I'll mention it again: Marshall... :D

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:09 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:

No you may not

Just because I'm fairly certain you've had a couple bottles of your heart medication in the form of Copper John Ale, I'll mention it again: Marshall... :D

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
allcat wrote:

No you may not

My parents were married by the time I came along...just barely but they were married. Marshall...

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:13 pm

I wonder if J.P. Flynn's brother might be coming back as our O line coach?

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BigBruceBaker » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:31 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:I wonder if J.P. Flynn's brother might be coming back as our O line coach?
Coming back? Was he out here for school? I don't know anything about his brother, did he play o-line somewhere big?

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level