MSU Recruiting 2015

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU Recruiting 2015

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:01 am

Hawks86 wrote:UNLV needs to stay away from our recruits. Brandon Presley committed to the Rebels.
Nothing hurt there. Cam Sutton and Keon Stephens (when he is official) will be great!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:47 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:UNLV needs to stay away from our recruits. Brandon Presley committed to the Rebels.
Nothing hurt there. Cam Sutton and Keon Stephens (when he is official) will be great!
Sure. I just don't like UNLV or other FBS schools sniffing around late.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:55 am

Hawks86 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Sure. I just don't like UNLV or other FBS schools sniffing around late.
Yeah I know...dirty turds!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
And hopefully we pull in Logan Jones over the next week and we will have a really good WR class!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:41 pm

its still early and nothing is official yet, but... would you rather have the cats or griz WR recruits (verbals):

Dalton Daum and Holden Ryan- both 2 star recruits I believe, obviously two of the most talented in state recruits this year, both very athletic with a ton of upside.

or

Cam Sutton and Keon Stephens- both 3 star recruits, both extremely talented/athletic, could push for playing time immediately.

I would say on paper anyway that Sutton/Stephens are more talented (which could be debated), but obviously getting big in-state recruits is always a big win.......... makes for an interesting debate.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

profisme
Member # Retired

Post by profisme » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:46 pm

mslacatfan wrote:its still early and nothing is official yet, but... would you rather have the cats or griz WR recruits (verbals):

Dalton Daum and Holden Ryan- both 2 star recruits I believe, obviously two of the most talented in state recruits this year, both very athletic with a ton of upside.

or

Cam Sutton and Keon Stephens- both 3 star recruits, both extremely talented/athletic, could push for playing time immediately.

I would say on paper anyway that Sutton/Stephens are more talented (which could be debated), but obviously getting big in-state recruits is always a big win.......... makes for an interesting debate.
I would rather have the players who give us the best chance of winning... :wink:

-Elias P. Harmon-

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:50 pm

profisme wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:its still early and nothing is official yet, but... would you rather have the cats or griz WR recruits (verbals):

or

I would rather have the players who give us the best chance of winning... :wink:
Boooooooo.

;)

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:58 pm

Just wondering who has Daum and Ryan as 2 stars? Not dissing either guy and consider both of them complete studs but I can't find a ranking for either of them.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Just wondering who has Daum and Ryan as 2 stars? Not dissing either guy and consider both of them complete studs but I can't find a ranking for either of them.
I thought I read that somewhere (maybe on egriz), that might not be accurate...

FTG- GO CATS GO!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:02 pm

Montana kids rarely make recruiting ranking sites due to the lack of exposure. Daum and Ryan would both definitely make lists if they lived in a different state. For example, Sims is the only Montana player with a ranking on any site.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:35 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
I thought I read that somewhere (maybe on egriz), that might not be accurate...
I saw that also maybe payton(goscats) could enlighten us. I think they deserve at least 2 but if we can just randomly give out stars then this is the best class ever. :wink: 8) :lol:

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Montana kids rarely make recruiting ranking sites due to the lack of exposure. Daum and Ryan would both definitely make lists if they lived in a different state. For example, Sims is the only Montana player with a ranking on any site.
What's Sims ranking? I would think 2-3 star, probably 2.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:40 pm

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Montana kids rarely make recruiting ranking sites due to the lack of exposure. Daum and Ryan would both definitely make lists if they lived in a different state. For example, Sims is the only Montana player with a ranking on any site.
He was a 3.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:42 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
He was a 3.
Yeah he is a 3star on every site: scout, rivals, espn

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Looks like UM just had a lineman flip to UNLV

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:51 pm

RationalGriz wrote:Looks like UM just had a lineman flip to UNLV
Yeah I saw that, Alex Neale. Scout had him as the 9th best center in the country. Man UNLV is kind of being a bit of a grinch right now...

rollo_tumasi
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by rollo_tumasi » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:02 pm

You wonder when kids flip at the last second, does that mean the schools will sit on that money or will they offer it to an instate kid instead. I worry that some of our preferred walk ons could be offered $ at the last second by UM and we lose them.

I swear, it's like I'm playin' cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sons-a-bitches.'

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:13 pm

rollo_tumasi wrote:You wonder when kids flip at the last second, does that mean the schools will sit on that money or will they offer it to an instate kid instead. I worry that some of our preferred walk ons could be offered $ at the last second by UM and we lose them.
You can't really do a lot of that, you don't just sit on a pile of scholarships, just in case.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:18 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
RationalGriz wrote:Looks like UM just had a lineman flip to UNLV
Yeah I saw that, Alex Neale. Scout had him as the 9th best center in the country. Man UNLV is kind of being a bit of a grinch right now...
Correction: He is the 6th best center in the country according to Scout. Wow the Griz lost a really good one today.
rollo_tumasi wrote:You wonder when kids flip at the last second, does that mean the schools will sit on that money or will they offer it to an instate kid instead. I worry that some of our preferred walk ons could be offered $ at the last second by UM and we lose them.
I'm assuming you are worried about Ferriter but the Griz are still getting commits from other kids out of state. Personally, I think the Ferriter thing is a smoke and mirrors issue. Also, lets say we get Sims and Griz in turn offer Ferriter a scholarship, who would you rather have? After watching his tape and getting opinions from people who have seen him play, Ferriter has a long way to go before he becomes a contributor and he is very deserving of a preferred walk-on or maybe a partial...but not a full FCS scholarship. Lets just let the process play out and we will see who we have on Feb. 4th.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:23 pm

allcat wrote:
You can't really do a lot of that, you don't just sit on a pile of scholarships, just in case.
Allcat is spot on with this. Teams have a board, similar to an NFL draft board, and they have players ranked. Scholarships are offered accordingly and you just go down the list if someone decommits or doesn't accept the offer. Schools can't afford to sit on scholarships or else you get burned when you don't get the commits. Process of elimination with a next-man up mentality. However, in-state recruiting is a different animal and if the Griz have scholarship money left over, they may go after a Montana kid late like Epperly from Glacier last year. This still doesn't mean we can't match offers though.