Ash, Stitt, and Offenses

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Ash, Stitt, and Offenses

Post by catatac » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:03 pm

Couple questions here. My Griz fan buddy is concerned about Stitt "not getting" the importance of the rivalry, as some have accused Ash of. Couple things I was wondering about, maybe Q's for Colter. With as well as Ash is respected in the coaching circles, president of the college football coaches association or whatever it's called, I assume they know each other? Does anyone know if they're friends? Secondly, it sounds like they'll definitely be following our lead and switching to a super fast paced offense (90 ppg, and in the presser he said they were one of if not the fastest offenses in the nation). So another question is, how similar is the offense they're going to run.... to ours? Lastly, how will it impact the Griz D? I know we've been beating this one to death here but I am VERY interested to see if the Griz can implement this offense and maintain the impressive defensive stats they've had for years. If they can do that, and if our defense stats remain sub par.... I will jump on the "Get rid of Marshall" band wagon. :shock:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Ash, Stitt, and Offenses

Post by GRZZ » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:16 pm

Take this for what it is worth, I am just repeating not pretending to be an expert.

He said during his press conference that if you run this offense right it is better for the defense because you score enough point that they can overcome a bad play or drive. Running ninety plus plays a game, your TOP should be high. Said that Mines was 11th in the nation in TOP.

Your other questions, I will let someone else tackle.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

Bobcat Steve
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Steve » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:50 pm

All you need to know about the Grizz is they are kicking the season off with getting an ass kicking other than that, this is BOBCAT NATION

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:29 pm

catatac wrote:Couple questions here. My Griz fan buddy is concerned about Stitt "not getting" the importance of the rivalry, as some have accused Ash of. Couple things I was wondering about, maybe Q's for Colter. With as well as Ash is respected in the coaching circles, president of the college football coaches association or whatever it's called, I assume they know each other? Does anyone know if they're friends? Secondly, it sounds like they'll definitely be following our lead and switching to a super fast paced offense (90 ppg, and in the presser he said they were one of if not the fastest offenses in the nation). So another question is, how similar is the offense they're going to run.... to ours? Lastly, how will it impact the Griz D? I know we've been beating this one to death here but I am VERY interested to see if the Griz can implement this offense and maintain the impressive defensive stats they've had for years. If they can do that, and if our defense stats remain sub par.... I will jump on the "Get rid of Marshall" band wagon. :shock:

You'll have to be president.

Lame excuse.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:03 am

77matcat wrote:
catatac wrote:Couple questions here. My Griz fan buddy is concerned about Stitt "not getting" the importance of the rivalry, as some have accused Ash of. Couple things I was wondering about, maybe Q's for Colter. With as well as Ash is respected in the coaching circles, president of the college football coaches association or whatever it's called, I assume they know each other? Does anyone know if they're friends? Secondly, it sounds like they'll definitely be following our lead and switching to a super fast paced offense (90 ppg, and in the presser he said they were one of if not the fastest offenses in the nation). So another question is, how similar is the offense they're going to run.... to ours? Lastly, how will it impact the Griz D? I know we've been beating this one to death here but I am VERY interested to see if the Griz can implement this offense and maintain the impressive defensive stats they've had for years. If they can do that, and if our defense stats remain sub par.... I will jump on the "Get rid of Marshall" band wagon. :shock:

You'll have to be president.

Lame excuse.

???

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:06 pm

Yup brief and confusing. Sorry. You can be president of the get rid of Marshall club.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Ash, Stitt, and Offenses

Post by 77matcat » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:08 pm

The offense having a big impact on defense is a lame excuse someone dreamt up to justify our poor defense. May have some impact on poor defenses but not significant impact on good ones.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:45 am

You say they will follow our lead on offense? Which Bobcat offense are you talking about? We had a couple high scoring games against very weak defenses. Ash needs to let Cramsey run the offense and not get in the way of things. Stitt will have them making deep playoff runs within 2 years of taking that job. Hate to say it, but the future looks bright in the Zoo. We can't even repaint our East side bleachers. Don't see this program going past the first round of the playoffs, if we even make if that far. Hate to see Prukop, Newell, Brekke, Flynn and others become wasted talent.

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:22 am

Ash gave full control to Cramsey last year. This has been documented multiple times so we can put that to rest. Our offense, frankly, saved our season last year. So when you ask about which offense, its the one that set records last year! A big thing the Bobcats need is a an attitude of "we are going to win no matter who our opponent is". Guess who always has that attitude? The Griz. You have to give them credit for that. And we won't know what a Bob Stitt coached team looks like until about halfway through the season next year. My point is only time will tell if Stitt is a good coach but I really could care less because he isn't our head coach. We can't control what the Griz do but we can take care of business on the field, which I believe we will continue do next year with our offense. These kids need our support no matter what happens! So paint those glasses blue and look forward to next year!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:40 am

The only thing that we really need to worry about is building a defense that can make stops!!! Being almost last in conference and very low nationally is simply unacceptable! Scoring is important obviously, but championships are WON on defensive stops!

Example? Seattle Seahawks, NDSU Bison etc. etc. etc.

Until we solve our defense we will be fun to watch when on offense and will win most games but will lose most BIG games!

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:11 am

GoCats18 wrote:Stitt will have them making deep playoff runs within 2 years of taking that job. Hate to say it, but the future looks bright in the Zoo. We can't even repaint our East side bleachers. Don't see this program going past the first round of the playoffs, if we even make if that far. Hate to see Prukop, Newell, Brekke, Flynn and others become wasted talent.
Wow!! So what makes you think all of this? Stitt's record at Mines isn't that great. He's 1-3 in playoff games. Only three RMAC titles the last 11 years. It isn't like he moves to a new team every five years and turns them into a winner. He was at Mines for 15 years and its his only HC experience.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:48 am

GoCats18 wrote:You say they will follow our lead on offense? Which Bobcat offense are you talking about? We had a couple high scoring games against very weak defenses. Ash needs to let Cramsey run the offense and not get in the way of things. Stitt will have them making deep playoff runs within 2 years of taking that job. Hate to say it, but the future looks bright in the Zoo. We can't even repaint our East side bleachers. Don't see this program going past the first round of the playoffs, if we even make if that far. Hate to see Prukop, Newell, Brekke, Flynn and others become wasted talent.
No, our offense was legit last year, and will be even better in 2015. Praying Prukop stays healthy, but if Bleskin has to take over at any point, I trust the Cat\Griz performance was a once in a lifetime fluke for him. We will have one of the most potent offenses in the FCS.

As for the Griz... what makes you think the future looks so bright, because a bunch of posters on egriz say so? Because Denny's trust fund kids are throwing money at the school? Because they hired the coach that invented the fly sweep? So we need to paint our bleachers now in order to be successful? Wow. Have you been watching some of the teams in these playoffs kicking ass on their high school fields in front of 300 fans? Teams that are currently playing better than the Cats, the Griz, EWU, etc.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:49 am

catatac wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:You say they will follow our lead on offense? Which Bobcat offense are you talking about? We had a couple high scoring games against very weak defenses. Ash needs to let Cramsey run the offense and not get in the way of things. Stitt will have them making deep playoff runs within 2 years of taking that job. Hate to say it, but the future looks bright in the Zoo. We can't even repaint our East side bleachers. Don't see this program going past the first round of the playoffs, if we even make if that far. Hate to see Prukop, Newell, Brekke, Flynn and others become wasted talent.
No, our offense was legit last year, and will be even better in 2015. Praying Prukop stays healthy, but if Bleskin has to take over at any point, I trust the Cat\Griz performance was a once in a lifetime fluke for him. We will have one of the most potent offenses in the FCS.

As for the Griz... what makes you think the future looks so bright, because a bunch of posters on egriz say so? Because Denny's trust fund kids are throwing money at the school? Because they hired the coach that invented the fly sweep? So we need to paint our bleachers now in order to be successful? Wow. Have you been watching some of the teams in these playoffs kicking ass on their high school fields in front of 300 fans? Teams that are currently playing better than the Cats, the Griz, EWU, etc.
Actually, as good as our offense was overall, it's true that it was somewhat inconsistent. We scored 40 or more points seven times last year, but scored 29 or less in the other six games. There wasn't a single game all season in which we scored in the 30's, which seems like a really bizarre statistical oddity. In the seven high scoring games, we averaged 53.0 PPG, but in the six low scoring games, we averaged only 20.8 points. That's a pretty drastic variation.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:07 pm

John K wrote:
catatac wrote:

Actually, as good as our offense was overall, it's true that it was somewhat inconsistent. We scored 40 or more points seven times last year, but scored 29 or less in the other six games. There wasn't a single game all season in which we scored in the 30's, which seems like a really bizarre statistical oddity. In the seven high scoring games, we averaged 53.0 PPG, but in the six low scoring games, we averaged only 20.8 points. That's a pretty drastic variation.
Regardless, you could probably blame the offense for only one of our losses last year. And we all know what that game was. The defense didn't make matters much better in that game also. Defensive improvement is the key to next season. That is the only way we get better.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:21 pm

We'll be good on offense, but I hope we get back to more power running. Prukop is a great passer and we need him throwing more than running. Best way to do that is to run power and set up more play fake passes.

Vim is right. We need immediate help on defense.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:37 pm

And if we don't get immediate help with linebacker, some boys will have to become men rather quickly. (Grant Collins, Mac Bignell)

However, there once was a guy named Grosulak and he did alright as a freshman. :wink:

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:07 pm

VimSince03 wrote:And if we don't get immediate help with linebacker, some boys will have to become men rather quickly. (Grant Collins, Mac Bignell)

However, there once was a guy named Grosulak and he did alright as a freshman. :wink:

I think he still has a year left of eligibility?.... anyway he can come back and join the team.... :D

Grocery Sack!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:29 pm

catsrback76 wrote:The only thing that we really need to worry about is building a defense that can make stops!!! Being almost last in conference and very low nationally is simply unacceptable! Scoring is important obviously, but championships are WON on defensive stops!

Example? Seattle Seahawks, NDSU Bison etc. etc. etc.

Until we solve our defense we will be fun to watch when on offense and will win most games but will lose most BIG games!

Yup

ButteWhat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ButteWhat » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:43 am

catatac wrote:

I think the jizzlies future looks bright because of the new upgrades they're getting in the academic center and the new locker rooms weights and training facility....I fear the jizz are preparing for a move up and we will be left behind.....I hate to admit it but its true, we've had so much momentum and positives for the program the last couple years...it would be a shame to see it all for not....
ButteWhat
Cats What

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:05 pm

ButteWhat wrote:the jizz are preparing for a move up and we will be left behind
This has been discussed ad-nauseum. It won't happen (same Board of Regents, money, shrinking enrollment, etc.).