Cliff Hysell

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Cliff Hysell

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:57 am

shill31 wrote:Thank you for the kind words.

The pride and tradition
of Montana State football
will not be entrusted to
the timid or weak!

The words that Coach C-Hys brought to Bozeman in 1991. The words he got the players to believe. The words that I tell my football team today.
The first thing he told us as he addressed the team for the first time, "Things are not right in Bozeman, that's why I am here."
Well I will use those same words today, "Things are not right in Bozemen, Coach C-Hys, because you are not here." I love you and you will be missed!
Thanks for reminding us of that GREAT quote Sean. I hope you don't mind, but I just changed my Sig today!!!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Scott Mansch's take: http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/ ... /18098149/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll have a feature on Coach Hysell later this week. Thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.

bogus3dollarbill
New Recruit

Post by bogus3dollarbill » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:23 am

Cliff Hysell was my teacher for 7th Grade Geometry at West Junior High School in Great Falls. Yup, he did that as well - for one year right after he finished school. He thumped me good one cold November morning for being a wiseacre in his class...straightened me right up (scared the hell out of me). I have always told people that he is the reason that I began to appreciate Mathematics. That is the truth. I became an Engineer, from which I am now retired. I owe a big chunk of that to Mr. Hysell. RIP sir.
-bill miller

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:13 pm

http://helenair.com/sports/football/hys ... 974b9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the article on Cliff written in the Helena IR by Curt Synness. Curt is actually an excellent sports historian and writer for Helena (not MSU) and he has some interesting items in there, despite saying Cliff was at MSU from 91-98 (92-99 actually). We'll cut him some slack on that one.

There's a great photo of Cliff and his buddy, the late Frank Ursich, hanging up in quite a few places (bars) around Helena. It's titled, "The Frank Factor," and the two are caught bursting out laughing in the shot.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I hope "The Cliff Factor" is in effect this Saturday in San Luis Obispo, Calif. Under Cliff's direction the Bobcats won at Cal Poly on September 16, 1995, 13-10, in a night game. It was his first of four games against Cal Poly. He was 2-2 against the Mustangs. A victory would send him off with an honorary winning record against the Mustangs.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cheshire-CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cheshire-CAT » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Godspeed, Coach Hysell. You will always be remembered as the tough old cowboy that resurrected the Bobcats.

BLUE and GOLD all the way!

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:59 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:Rest In Peace Coach

I was at MSU as a student during the tail end of the Solomonson years and it was awful. Many thanks to Hysell for getting us back on track. We owe a tone of gratitude for all that he has done.
I was to and I agree with your assessment . After he was hired I had a lot of MSU Alumni approach me and ask what I thought of the hiring, why I don't know. I told them I thought it was a great hire as he was a former player and coach at MSU and he knew how to win at this level. He absolutely turned out to be the right guy. He started what we have today. We do owe him for what we have today as he played an important part of it.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 am

I am hoping that at one of home games this year, before kickoff, we see a guy in a hat and duster on a good looking quarter horse gallop up and back on the field with "some sort of large bear skin" behind him on a rope, then rears up waves his hat at the sky and heads into the tunnel. Another good Montana cowboy has ridden off into the back 40. Thanks Cliff, you will be missed.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:37 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:I am hoping that at one of home games this year, before kickoff, we see a guy in a hat and duster on a good looking quarter horse gallop up and back on the field with "some sort of large bear skin" behind him on a rope, then rears up waves his hat at the sky and heads into the tunnel. Another good Montana cowboy has ridden off into the back 40. Thanks Cliff, you will be missed.
I like it.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Jeff Mills
New Recruit

Post by Jeff Mills » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:17 pm

I wish I could be with you all today in Bozeman. Cliff Hysell had a huge impact on my life. I am so thankful he believed in me and gave me my first job at Montana State. There are so many lessons he taught me, that I still use with my players today. He was a great coach, but what I remember is how much he loved his daughters, friends, players, and coaches. He restored the Pride & Tradition. He loved the Bobcats. I will miss him. Praying for Kristen & Callie and family. God Bless,

Jeff Mills
Assistant Football Coach
@Montana State University from 1992-1994

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:22 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:I am hoping that at one of home games this year, before kickoff, we see a guy in a hat and duster on a good looking quarter horse gallop up and back on the field with "some sort of large bear skin" behind him on a rope, then rears up waves his hat at the sky and heads into the tunnel. Another good Montana cowboy has ridden off into the back 40. Thanks Cliff, you will be missed.
Great idea!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Gave me chills

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:54 am

Hysell left an indelible mark on Montana State and the Big Sky Conference
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheshire-CAT
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cheshire-CAT » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:17 am

I like that idea. I like this more . . .

BLUE and GOLD all the way!

slccat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by slccat » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
I am hoping that at one of home games this year, before kickoff, we see a guy in a hat and duster on a good looking quarter horse gallop up and back on the field with "some sort of large bear skin" behind him on a rope, then rears up waves his hat at the sky and heads into the tunnel. Another good Montana cowboy has ridden off into the back 40. Thanks Cliff, you will be missed.

I love this idea and have passed it on to the athletic department! I thinks his girls would absolutely love this as well. Will let you all know what comes of it.

slccat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by slccat » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:22 pm

Sorry i forgot to mention i suggested Gary Gustafsson as the guy to ride the horse. Great Bobcat and great cowboy! Would represent Cliff well!

Gustofer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Gustofer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:09 pm

Well, I'll be the odd man out...as usual.

First, let me say that I have no doubt that Cliff Hysell was a good man. I never met him, but knew several good people who were close to him, and they vouched for his character. I have no reason whatsoever to doubt them. Also, I have no doubt whatsover that he was a good coach on a personal level...affecting and building the character of his players. Rest in peace Coach Hysell, as I believe that you've earned your place upstairs.

That said, he was not a very good coach overall. Yes, he was a defensive mastermind, and that was our calling card for many years, but overall? No.

He had no clue what to do offensively and it showed with his losing record over seven years. We were horrible in the 90s under his tenure. When folks say that he "saved Bobcat football", and he "brought us back", I just have to ask, "brought us back from what? The bottom to mediocre at best?" Really?

41-47 is nothing to write home about. If we want' to crown someone with the "saved Bobcat football" or "brought us back" moniker, that would be Kramer (with all of his faults).

Again, I have no doubt that Cliff Hysell was a good man, and a Montanan through and through. I respect him immensely for what he did with players on an individual level. As a head coach though? He failed. And, I'd have to believe that he would agree.

Yes, there is more to coaching than wins and losses, but truthfully, that is the bottom line. While it matters to the individual players that you mentor how good of a "coach" you are, the bottom line is wins and losses. Coach Hysell wasn't able to do both, and that was his downfall.

As I said, rest in peace Coach, you earned your place.

Gustofer
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Gustofer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:09 pm

Last edited by Gustofer on Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:49 am

Gustofer wrote:Well, I'll be the odd man out...as usual.

First, let me say that I have no doubt that Cliff Hysell was a good man. I never met him, but knew several good people who were close to him, and they vouched for his character. I have no reason whatsoever to doubt them. Also, I have no doubt whatsover that he was a good coach on a personal level...affecting and building the character of his players. Rest in peace Coach Hysell, as I believe that you've earned your place upstairs.

That said, he was not a very good coach overall. Yes, he was a defensive mastermind, and that was our calling card for many years, but overall? No.

He had no clue what to do offensively and it showed with his losing record over seven years. We were horrible in the 90s under his tenure. When folks say that he "saved Bobcat football", and he "brought us back", I just have to ask, "brought us back from what? The bottom to mediocre at best?" Really?

41-47 is nothing to write home about. If we want' to crown someone with the "saved Bobcat football" or "brought us back" moniker, that would be Kramer (with all of his faults).

Again, I have no doubt that Cliff Hysell was a good man, and a Montanan through and through. I respect him immensely for what he did with players on an individual level. As a head coach though? He failed. And, I'd have to believe that he would agree.

Yes, there is more to coaching than wins and losses, but truthfully, that is the bottom line. While it matters to the individual players that you mentor how good of a "coach" you are, the bottom line is wins and losses. Coach Hysell wasn't able to do both, and that was his downfall.

You must be a blast when you perform at funerals.

bobcatmaniac
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatmaniac » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:58 am

allcat wrote:
Gustofer wrote:Well, I'll be the odd man out...as usual.

You must be a blast when you perform at funerals.
He is entitled to his opinion. I happen to agree with him. What was our record with Kramers first year? He inherited Hysell team.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:20 am

With what he was dealt as a team, he did amazing. He told me Solomonson had 11 wide receivers on a team that did not throw the football, but only had 7 offensive linemen. How much offense can you even generate with that?