Cats drop to 10th in latest poll

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cats drop to 10th in latest poll

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 am

clawman wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnf ... 5poll.aspx

But no worries. We still can get seeded in the tournament as long as we keep winning.
To get seeded the Cats have to win out AND the Eagles lose at least one. Doubtful that the Big Sky will have two teams seeded.
Montana will most likely lose at least two and possibly three if the Cats can beat them. If they lose three they are most likely not in the playoffs.
Idaho State is WAY under rated, have a good chance of beating the Cats and the second best record in the Big Sky.
If the Eagles lose it will come against the Griz, but by then Vernon will be back so it is doubtful. The question will be his mobility and game shape.
:goodpost:

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:42 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Common Cat wrote:Is Badlandsgriz a reincarnation of Grizinwashington? Wow.
No, unfortunately there's more than one.

He's just a troll, setting the bait. Some keep biting. :shrug:
Bingo. Put that buster on ignore and BN will be a much better place.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 am

ilovethecats wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:That triple option is almost unstoppable, and what people don't realize is that their passing game is rock solid too.
:shock:

on what are you basing this?! they are dead last in passing. 13th of 13 teams. it's like saying the cat defense is rock solid, it just doesn't seem like it because we're on the field so much.

i just have a hard time giving a team too much passing credibility when they've thrown the ball 13 times a game to 63 rushes a game. they've thrown 97 times all season. hell ewu does that in a single game sometimes.... :wink:
It's based on passing efficiency. Cal Poly ranks 4th in the nation. They don't pass often, but when they do, they are successful.
ya i get that. on 13 throws a game. they complete 9 a game. and while i agree that is efficient i don't put stock in it. if team throws the ball 4 times in a month but completes 3 of them...i'm not going to taut their 75%...

they're first in rushing by a mile...last in passing by a mile. so saying they're rock solid seems to be a stretch to me. if we were first in offense and dead last in defense like we almost are....i wouldn't try to convince people our defense is rock solid. especially if we only had to play defense 9 plays a game. :wink:
Since when is passing success based solely on quantity? Their passing game so far has done exactly what is asked of it... Pretty solid, in my book.
ok then. our cat defense is very solid. after all, they have done exactly what they have needed to do to win.

and passing success isn't based solely on quantity. but you don't think the quantity of passes means anything? if poly throws 5 times a game and completes all 5 and ewu throws 35 times a game but only completes 30 would you not agree that ewu likely has the more solid passing game?

I'm going to stand by my idea that poly is the best running team in the conference but not a very good passing team. so far they haven't had to prove otherwise because no one has been able to stop their run. once a defense does that like I think the griz could Saturday, we'll have a better idea of how solid their passing game is. and I'm not saying that it is definitely not. they could perhaps be the best passing attack in all the land and even they don't know it. it's just my opinion that I can't buy into that simply because a team completes 4 or 5 of the 9 passes they throw a game.

I guess all I'm saying is that they can burn you big time with their passing game. IMO, yes - they have a very good\dangerous passing attack but they don't use it very often because they're usually so effective at the run. I think you'll see them go to the air Saturday night if the Griz can slow them down on the ground.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:05 pm

Clawman I agree with everything you posted but I actually think that NAU is going to give EWU fits this weekend in Flagstaff. That's not an easy place to get a win especially with how banged up EWU is, and this is probably NAUs biggest game remaining on their schedule. If EWU losses I think VA and Forte get rushed back before they should and could lead to trouble by the time the UM game comes around. If EWU wins this weekend the two can get more rest and be better prepared physically to go into the UM game and get the win.

The Griz will have a very tough game this weekend and depending on how the game ends will dictate the next couple weeks imo. If Poly wins I think they will come out a little flat next week after beating the #7 team whom they should have beat last year, and it will probably be a very physical game, that would be an advantage forthe cats next week. If the Griz win I think Poly will be in desperation mode and the game will be even tougher for the cats but I think it sets UM up for a let down to Sac and/or EWU.

If Poly wins this week, we beat poly next week and EWU falls to either NAU or the Griz I think we may have a let down vs either Portland or ISU.

Long story short there is a lot of important games left with a ton of scenarios so the polls today don't tell us much at all yet.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:08 pm

catatac wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
TJMoe82 wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
catatac wrote:That triple option is almost unstoppable, and what people don't realize is that their passing game is rock solid too.
:shock:

on what are you basing this?! they are dead last in passing. 13th of 13 teams. it's like saying the cat defense is rock solid, it just doesn't seem like it because we're on the field so much.

i just have a hard time giving a team too much passing credibility when they've thrown the ball 13 times a game to 63 rushes a game. they've thrown 97 times all season. hell ewu does that in a single game sometimes.... :wink:
It's based on passing efficiency. Cal Poly ranks 4th in the nation. They don't pass often, but when they do, they are successful.
ya i get that. on 13 throws a game. they complete 9 a game. and while i agree that is efficient i don't put stock in it. if team throws the ball 4 times in a month but completes 3 of them...i'm not going to taut their 75%...

they're first in rushing by a mile...last in passing by a mile. so saying they're rock solid seems to be a stretch to me. if we were first in offense and dead last in defense like we almost are....i wouldn't try to convince people our defense is rock solid. especially if we only had to play defense 9 plays a game. :wink:
Since when is passing success based solely on quantity? Their passing game so far has done exactly what is asked of it... Pretty solid, in my book.
ok then. our cat defense is very solid. after all, they have done exactly what they have needed to do to win.

and passing success isn't based solely on quantity. but you don't think the quantity of passes means anything? if poly throws 5 times a game and completes all 5 and ewu throws 35 times a game but only completes 30 would you not agree that ewu likely has the more solid passing game?

I'm going to stand by my idea that poly is the best running team in the conference but not a very good passing team. so far they haven't had to prove otherwise because no one has been able to stop their run. once a defense does that like I think the griz could Saturday, we'll have a better idea of how solid their passing game is. and I'm not saying that it is definitely not. they could perhaps be the best passing attack in all the land and even they don't know it. it's just my opinion that I can't buy into that simply because a team completes 4 or 5 of the 9 passes they throw a game.

I guess all I'm saying is that they can burn you big time with their passing game. IMO, yes - they have a very good\dangerous passing attack but they don't use it very often because they're usually so effective at the run. I think you'll see them go to the air Saturday night if the Griz can slow them down on the ground.
Actually, Cal Poly's passing efficiency is 3rd in the Big sky right now and they have a completion percentage of 65%. Irregardless what adjective you use to describe their passing game, they are adequate enough with it to keep teams honest on defending the run and moving the chains - which is all they need to do.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:46 pm

The Div 1 records of the Div 1 teams the Bobcats have beat this year;
TEAM......W......L
UCA.......4......4
UND.......3......4
SSU........3......4
UCD.......0......6
WSU.......0......7
TOTALS..10.....29

The Div 1 records of the Div 1 teams that um has beat this year;
TEAM......W......L
USD........1......5
UNC.......2......5
UND.......3......4
UCD.......0......6
TOTALS...6.....20

As you can see neither team has what could be called a 'quality' win as yet (although UCA could be a playoff team in the end???). The toughest part of both our and um's schedule is yet to come. Polls even halfway through the season can certainly be misleading....remember last year.

I like our chances against CP because our run defense performed great against Weber and we have 2 weeks to prepare. I like our chances against um because they haven't shown anything special yet. I just hope we can handle 'the big human' and company when they come to town. But as always, the most important game is the next game.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:16 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:The Div 1 records of the Div 1 teams the Bobcats have beat this year;
TEAM......W......L
UCA.......4......4
UND.......3......4
SSU........3......4
UCD.......0......6
WSU.......0......7
TOTALS..10.....29

TEAM......W......L
USD........1......5
UNC.......2......5
UND.......3......4
UCD.......0......6
TOTALS...6.....20

As you can see neither team has what could be called a 'quality' win as yet (although UCA could be a playoff team in the end???). The toughest part of both our and um's schedule is yet to come. Polls even halfway through the season can certainly be misleading....remember last year.

I like our chances against CP because our run defense performed great against Weber and we have 2 weeks to prepare. I like our chances against um because they haven't shown anything special yet. I just hope we can handle 'the big human' and company when they come to town. But as always, the most important game is the next game.
Not to nitpick or stand up for the grizzly bear team, but they did play North Dakota State.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:07 pm

Cledus wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:The Div 1 records of the Div 1 teams the Bobcats have beat this year;
TEAM......W......L
UCA.......4......4
UND.......3......4
SSU........3......4
UCD.......0......6
WSU.......0......7
TOTALS..10.....29

TEAM......W......L
USD........1......5
UNC.......2......5
UND.......3......4
UCD.......0......6
TOTALS...6.....20

Not to nitpick or stand up for the grizzly bear team, but they did play North Dakota State.
And MSU played EWU.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:08 pm

I predict Cal Poly will connect for a long TD pass against MSU. Probably go 13 for 18 for about 150-200 yards.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Cledus wrote:
TEAM......W......L
UCA.......4......4
UND.......3......4
SSU........3......4
UCD.......0......6
WSU.......0......7
TOTALS..10.....29

TEAM......W......L
USD........1......5
UNC.......2......5
UND.......3......4
UCD.......0......6
TOTALS...6.....20

This is a list of wins only.

FTG06'
Member # Retired

Post by FTG06' » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:48 pm

Hawks86 wrote:It's not just us. Half the picks on AGS are for Cal Poly to win.
AGS is 90% NDSU blowhards, to be fair.

But I'll take Poly to beat the griz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Men, do your duty.
3-7-77

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by clawman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:42 pm

catgrad05 wrote:Clawman I agree with everything you posted but I actually think that NAU is going to give EWU fits this weekend in Flagstaff. That's not an easy place to get a win especially with how banged up EWU is, and this is probably NAUs biggest game remaining on their schedule. If EWU losses I think VA and Forte get rushed back before they should and could lead to trouble by the time the UM game comes around. If EWU wins this weekend the two can get more rest and be better prepared physically to go into the UM game and get the win.

The Griz will have a very tough game this weekend and depending on how the game ends will dictate the next couple weeks imo. If Poly wins I think they will come out a little flat next week after beating the #7 team whom they should have beat last year, and it will probably be a very physical game, that would be an advantage forthe cats next week. If the Griz win I think Poly will be in desperation mode and the game will be even tougher for the cats but I think it sets UM up for a let down to Sac and/or EWU.

If Poly wins this week, we beat poly next week and EWU falls to either NAU or the Griz I think we may have a let down vs either Portland or ISU.

Long story short there is a lot of important games left with a ton of scenarios so the polls today don't tell us much at all yet.
We arrived in Scottsdale today in route to Flag on Friday to go to the game. I travel to most all Eagles games and a smattering of other games as well.
Forte is supposed to be back this weekend as well as Cory Mitchell another outstanding receiver and team leader. Our d-line is coming together and pressuring the QB and stopping runs. The Eagles are deep enough on both sides of the line that they substitute a lot, this causes less impact of elevation. The Eagles are something like 7 and 1 in the last 8 games against the Jacks.
I would caution paying much attention to what the AGS pollsters say. They don't know much about Big Sky (or much else for that matter) but if they see Montana they vote for them to win. Poly by two scores.
Think we'll meet up later this year? It would be cool if it was in Frisco!!

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

RationalGriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RationalGriz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 pm

I think Poly beats the Griz...

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:50 pm

If Poly beats the Griz it sets up a really interesting week for us. Feels like the Griz are grinding in a way and the Cats have more momentum...or maybe more upside? The cats have yet to prove to they can be dominate late in the season, while that seems to be the m.o. the griz. I don't know if everyone is giving poly too much credit or if they really don't think the griz are that good. It could be the griz are above average and are winning games they should. I would like to see the Big Sky crown come down between the Eagles and Cats.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:06 pm

Cledus wrote:
TEAM......W......L
UCA.......4......4
UND.......3......4
SSU........3......4
UCD.......0......6
WSU.......0......7
TOTALS..10.....29

TEAM......W......L
USD........1......5
UNC.......2......5
UND.......3......4
UCD.......0......6
TOTALS...6.....20

And they got dominated. Cats played #2 ewoo, and had the lead with 90 seconds left. The post was talking about quality wins. Gritz don't have any. In fairness, neither does anyone else in the big sky. UCA is probably the best win in the entire conference.

I think (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but the entire big sky conference only has 1 win against a non-conference team with a winning record, and that was UND beating Stoney Brook.

BadlandsGrizFan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by BadlandsGrizFan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:24 am

onceacat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
TEAM......W......L
UCA.......4......4
UND.......3......4
SSU........3......4
UCD.......0......6
WSU.......0......7
TOTALS..10.....29

TEAM......W......L
USD........1......5
UNC.......2......5
UND.......3......4
UCD.......0......6
TOTALS...6.....20

And they got dominated. Cats played #2 ewoo, and had the lead with 90 seconds left. The post was talking about quality wins. Gritz don't have any. In fairness, neither does anyone else in the big sky. UCA is probably the best win in the entire conference.

I think (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) but the entire big sky conference only has 1 win against a non-conference team with a winning record, and that was UND beating Stoney Brook.
Youre a fool if you think NDSU dominated the Griz...the Griz went into the game..planning to let NDSU kick field goals and keep them out of the endzone...they did that...their kicker hit five field goals..and they beat the Griz by 12...the better team grinded out a game and won...it was not dominating what so ever.

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 am

BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
TEAM......W......L
UCA.......4......4
UND.......3......4
SSU........3......4
UCD.......0......6
WSU.......0......7
TOTALS..10.....29

TEAM......W......L
USD........1......5
UNC.......2......5
UND.......3......4
UCD.......0......6
TOTALS...6.....20

Youre a fool if you think NDSU dominated the Griz...the Griz went into the game..planning to let NDSU kick field goals and keep them out of the endzone...they did that...their kicker hit five field goals..and they beat the Griz by 12...the better team grinded out a game and won...it was not dominating what so ever.
:lol: NDSU had 24 first downs to the grizz 9. 79 total plays to 48. 447 yards to 256. 280 yards rushing to 68. 40 minutes TOP to 20. :lol: The grizz were utterly dominated in that game. Nice try.

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 am

But it's the vaunted griz!

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:12 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
TEAM......W......L
UCA.......4......4
UND.......3......4
SSU........3......4
UCD.......0......6
WSU.......0......7
TOTALS..10.....29

TEAM......W......L
USD........1......5
UNC.......2......5
UND.......3......4
UCD.......0......6
TOTALS...6.....20

:lol: NDSU had 24 first downs to the grizz 9. 79 total plays to 48. 447 yards to 256. 280 yards rushing to 68. 40 minutes TOP to 20. :lol: The grizz were utterly dominated in that game. Nice try.
Ya but they meant to do that. #-o

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:13 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:
BadlandsGrizFan wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Cledus wrote:
TEAM......W......L
UCA.......4......4
UND.......3......4
SSU........3......4
UCD.......0......6
WSU.......0......7
TOTALS..10.....29

TEAM......W......L
USD........1......5
UNC.......2......5
UND.......3......4
UCD.......0......6
TOTALS...6.....20

Ya but they meant to do that. #-o
I love it!! The plan is to let them kick field goals. Haha!