Anthony Knight suspended

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Anthony Knight suspended

Post by Plainiac » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Cledus wrote:
bcatfan1 wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
Cledus wrote:
bcatfan1 wrote:
Cledus wrote:how does non white skin make a place more diverse? I can see how that would make it more non white, but I'm not clear if n the diversity part. For that matter, why is the sky color my fault? I was only born here.
You really don't see how different ethnicities and races add to a diverse culture?? If not, there is no point attempting to reason with you.

Sorry. I intended to leave this thread alone, in hopes of it dying.
Explain it to me. Pretend you have a bunch of different races and ethnicities who are all third, fourth, and maybe fifth generation Montanans. Why does different skin color make the place more diverse? That is, in the sense you mean. Montanans are a pretty Libertarian bunch.

Are you saying I'm an asshole because im white and was born here and that my only chance at salvation is non white people moving in?

I'm not the one focused on the color of a person's skin.

I believe in justice and liberty for all, which is why I picked up a rifle and did some real mans work in the Marine Corps infantry. If you can't say the same, then maybe you should stfu.
Boy that's about spot on. I'm completely disgusted that Montana's were said to be racist (or at least heavily implied). I know a lot of people in Montana that are a hellova lot more forgiving of peoples ideas, ethnicities etc. than people I've met from all over the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I NEVER said all Montanans are racist. I just said Montana does tend to be a bit racist, only because we aren't exposed to a lot of diversity. I love Montana and have no plans to move. I wasn't complaining. Only sympathizing with the original poster. My bad.
Fine. Explain it to me. Let's pretend you have six guys on the fifth floor of Roskie. Two are the sons of executives. Ones the son on a Stillwater executive and ones the son of a MRL executive and they both listen to classical music. Then imagine you have two middle class guys, one from Helena and one from G-Funk and they both listen too Top 40 and hip hop. Now imagine the last two are farm and ranch kids who solely listen to country. Are you trying to tell me that's not diversity?
Quoted for weirdness.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:29 am

Cledus wrote:Well, as it has been made clear to me by spineless cowards, diversity only comes from the color of a persons skin and NOT their background. So we can all sleep easier at night with the PC crowd at our back.
There are multiple kinds of diversity. Many Montanans have no firsthand familiarity with some of those kinds of diversity. Also, American cops are statistically pretty racist. That's all I meant.

If it makes you feel any better, I actually did leave Montana when I took a job teaching English in Indonesia. I'm also pissed that my brother is getting married in Florida rather than Montana, because I'd rather spend my break in Montana. There are a lot of things I miss about Montana. I do not miss the racist American cops.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:37 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Cledus wrote:Well, as it has been made clear to me by spineless cowards, diversity only comes from the color of a persons skin and NOT their background. So we can all sleep easier at night with the PC crowd at our back.
There are multiple kinds of diversity. Many Montanans have no firsthand familiarity with some of those kinds of diversity. Also, American cops are statistically pretty racist. That's all I meant.

If it makes you feel any better, I actually did leave Montana when I took a job teaching English in Indonesia. I'm also pissed that my brother is getting married in Florida rather than Montana, because I'd rather spend my break in Montana. There are a lot of things I miss about Montana. I do not miss the racist American cops.
Show me your racist "statistics". I'll wait.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:06 am

Let me get this straight. Black-n-Blue-n-Gold has a bad experience of racial profiling by a Montana cop and links it to his view that Montana probably has a lot of racists. Then people ask him “why don’t you move” if that’s what they think of Montanans? Honestly, why would someone move because they feel a state probably has a lot of racists? Every state has racists. I’m not sure that the fact that you don’t necessarily like the people of a given state that it’s a good reason to move. There are quite a few things that rank ahead of the people that make a place desirable to live in. Jobs, family, familiarity, activities, etc. I like to hunt and fish, so I’ve done what I can to stay here, but that doesn’t mean I think Montana people are something special. They aren’t. A lot of people like to brag on Montana, but I rarely ever hear anyone talking about how great Montanans are aside from politicians. There isn’t anything spectacular about the people of Montana.

The question, “why don’t you move?” reeks of racist code. If it doesn’t then ‘why don’t you move’ if you don’t like people in Montana sensing that there are a lot of racists in Montana. If you don’t like criticism, then move. Yeah, that sounds fair, doesn’t it?

Just because it’s your experience that other states are more racist doesn’t mean that Montana doesn’t have too many racists in it.

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:42 am

My wife is Hispanic from southern California and she will be the first one to tell you that she was anxious when she first moved here, but she will be the first one to tell you that she loves it here. She says that Montana people are the friendliest people that she has ever met and she felt welcome here from day one. I would think that Montana actually has a rather low tolerance to racism. We have a few outliers, but they are exactly that. Outlieres.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 am

grizatwork wrote:My wife is Hispanic from southern California and she will be the first one to tell you that she was anxious when she first moved here, but she will be the first one to tell you that she loves it here. She says that Montana people are the friendliest people that she has ever met and she felt welcome here from day one. I would think that Montana actually has a rather low tolerance to racism. We have a few outliers, but they are exactly that. Outlieres.
It's hard to say if Montanans have a low tolerance for racism since this state has very few non-white inhabitants. Maybe it does. I'm glad your wife finds Montana to be friendly. I've never noticed this to be the case any more so than other states.

But since she likes it I won't ask her why she doesn't move to a different state. :wink:

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 am

[cat_bracket] wrote:
grizatwork wrote:My wife is Hispanic from southern California and she will be the first one to tell you that she was anxious when she first moved here, but she will be the first one to tell you that she loves it here. She says that Montana people are the friendliest people that she has ever met and she felt welcome here from day one. I would think that Montana actually has a rather low tolerance to racism. We have a few outliers, but they are exactly that. Outlieres.
It's hard to say if Montanans have a low tolerance for racism since this state has very few non-white inhabitants. Maybe it does. I'm glad your wife finds Montana to be friendly. I've never noticed this to be the case any more so than other states.

But since she likes it I won't ask her why she doesn't move to a different state. :wink:
You don't get out much do you? I've been in a lot of states and a lot of places and nowhere compares to montana.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:04 am

Well, after meeting your wife, it's easy to SEE why everyone is friendly to her. ;)

Just sayin'

Ya done good :lol:

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:09 am

[quote="BigBruceBaker"}
You don't get out much do you? I've been in a lot of states and a lot of places and nowhere compares to montana.
[/quote]

Nowhere compares to Montana? For What? You don't get out much do you?

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:10 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
[cat_bracket] wrote:

As of two years ago I've been to every state in the nation. Montana doesn't seem any friendlier than any other state I've been in. The people of Montana don't seem any more special than people from other states.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 am

Just about every person I've met from out of state that has moved here, or visited here, has commented on how friendly the locals are, and how uncommon that is to them. So clearly I've had different experiences than CB.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:23 am

Weltercat wrote:[quote="BigBruceBaker"}
Nowhere compares to Montana? For What? You don't get out much do you?[/quote]

We were talking about the friendliness of the locals and the difference in people. I guess you didn't read that part.

Montana stands at the top (maybe top 3) most friendly locals. IMO

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:36 am

bobcat99 wrote:Just about every person I've met from out of state that has moved here, or visited here, has commented on how friendly the locals are, and how uncommon that is to them. So clearly I've had different experiences than CB.
Are you sure they aren't just being considerate or just saying that because they want to be true since they move here. I'd never tell someone that's a native of another state that I think people from that state are generally rude.

Sometimes people are friendly because they're bored and lonely. I don't consider that friendly, I consider that bored and lonely. Others seem rude because they're busy. I don't really think that's rude as I understand they're just busy and aren't focused on being friendly.

Friendly people can also be annoying, so it isn't necessarily a great trait. Like when you're in line somewhere and the friendly server starts chit-chatting with a customer, while you're waiting.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:52 am

When I first left Winifred and went to college in Bozeman, I'd say "Hi" to every person I walked past on campus ... that lasted about 2 hours, as people weren't reciprocating and I started feeling self-conscious. Growing up, we said hi (and waved) to everybody any time we saw anybody. But the more people that live in an area, the less common that kind of social interaction becomes. Living in an uber-urban area for many years now, I'm well conditioned to never making eye contact with a person unless there's a specific reason to do so.

So I could definitely see how anybody coming from almost any urban area would go to almost any less urban area and find the people way more approachable and friendly. I find the same when we travel.

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:55 am

Bay Area Cat wrote:When I first left Winifred and went to college in Bozeman, I'd say "Hi" to every person I walked past on campus ... that lasted about 2 hours, as people weren't reciprocating and I started feeling self-conscious. Growing up, we said hi (and waved) to everybody any time we saw anybody. But the more people that live in an area, the less common that kind of social interaction becomes. Living in an uber-urban area for many years now, I'm well conditioned to never making eye contact with a person unless there's a specific reason to do so.

So I could definitely see how anybody coming from almost any urban area would go to almost any less urban area and find the people way more approachable and friendly. I find the same when we travel.
Montana and the South are very similar in that regard. In Florida, if you're standing in line at the grocery store or similar you start talking with the people around you. I did that in Seattle a few times and people kept looking at me like I was crazy. I've worked a lot lately in Minneapolis and the same applies. If you say "Good morning" to someone at the coffee place they give you a look like you just poured sugar in their gas tank.

mtkaren
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mtkaren » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:12 pm

SO, any reason why Knight was suspended???? Isn't that what this threat is about?

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:45 pm

mtkaren wrote:SO, any reason why Knight was suspended???? Isn't that what this threat is about?
Buried in another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=34205&start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 am

tampa_griz wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:When I first left Winifred and went to college in Bozeman, I'd say "Hi" to every person I walked past on campus ... that lasted about 2 hours, as people weren't reciprocating and I started feeling self-conscious. Growing up, we said hi (and waved) to everybody any time we saw anybody. But the more people that live in an area, the less common that kind of social interaction becomes. Living in an uber-urban area for many years now, I'm well conditioned to never making eye contact with a person unless there's a specific reason to do so.

Montana and the South are very similar in that regard. In Florida, if you're standing in line at the grocery store or similar you start talking with the people around you. I did that in Seattle a few times and people kept looking at me like I was crazy. I've worked a lot lately in Minneapolis and the same applies. If you say "Good morning" to someone at the coffee place they give you a look like you just poured sugar in their gas tank.
You mean they weren't "Minnesota nice"?

I found that when I went to school in the Seattle area at a small private university, that the people on that 4000 student campus were far friendlier than here at MSU when I transferred. Everyone in the Seattle campus looked you in the eye and said hi as you walked by. I look everyone I pass in the eye as I walk by and here in Bozeman and on MSU, not a lot of people do. Now Missoula I will say is a far friendlier town than Bozeman. I just can't stand the college there.

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:53 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Well, after meeting your wife, it's easy to SEE why everyone is friendly to her. ;)

Just sayin'

Thanks. People always ask me how she ended up with me. I say that I got her drunk and she hasn't sobered up yet.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:25 am

grizatwork wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:

Just sayin'

Thanks. People always ask me how she ended up with me. I say that I got her drunk and she hasn't sobered up yet.
Um, I think, since it pertains to the discussion of how friendly Montanans are, and since we need to judge for ourselves whether or not your wife's experiences are based on Montanans generally being nice, or her looks, we're going to need some pictures. Purely scientific of course. :-^

I kid of course. I'm tired and have a lot to do and have a weird sense of humor this morning.