The Griz should have been post season Ineligible

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

The Griz should have been post season Ineligible

Post by asstastic » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:10 am

ARTICLE FROM THE MISSOULIAN DEC. 22 2011

Kemp and Johnson were arrested during an Oct. 23 post-game party at Johnson's apartment on North Russell Street. On Tuesday, they pleaded no contest in Missoula Municipal Court to misdemeanor disorderly conduct charges in connection with the incident. Charges of assault, resisting arrest and obstructing a peace officer were dropped in a plea deal.

"It was appropriate for these young men to accept responsibility for the underlying conduct which created the conflict with police that night," Muir said.

A report on the incident by Assistant Police Chief Mike Brady sketched the chaotic situation confronting police when they arrived at the party after a 9-1-1 noise complaint.
I
As their friends milled about, Kemp allegedly struck Officer Mitchell Lang's hand, and then hit Officer Pat Erbacher in the chest, according to the report. After Erbacher tased Kemp, Johnson hit Lang from behind and "grabbed onto" Erbacher from behind, Brady's report said. Johnson then was tased, too.

Keck said after the arrest that excessive force was used on her clients, and that videos shot at the party would provide evidence.

"Those videos contained no such images," Muir said in Wednesday's news conference at City Hall to present the results of Brady's report. The videos, mostly from cell phones, were "sort of Blair Witch videos, where everything was going crazy." All showed incidents that occurred after Johnson and Kemp were already in custody, he said.

So what confuses me here is on Oct. 23 they where arrested and charged with assault, resisting arrest, and obstructing a peace officer. They were suspended from the team and then subsequently reinstated but had there hand slapped and forced to sit out the first quarter of one the most anticipated and hard fought game of the year, Weber State. They were allowed to participate with the team while facing all three charges and play in six games while pleading not guilty. Once they eventually lost to SHSU on Dec 16th, they finally attended court on Dec 22nd and plead no contest and all original charges were dropped and they made a plea agreement on lesser charges. I know that the court date on the 16th was probably set at there initial appearance but it just puts icing on the cake for me to know that they where given enough time to play the rest of the season and the playoffs claiming innocence and then once they're season was over plea to no contest and admit guilt in a sense.

Why were they allowed to play with charges pending?

Where was the accountability and consequences from the coaches and the University?

There is no Integrity to any of this!

RECENTLY IN THE MISSOULIAN

Pflugrad’s contention is that the NCAA was “extremely technical” in its Montana investigation. Specifically, he takes issue with the word “booster” in one specific instance.

In its report, the NCAA determined that a “booster” – the mother of another Griz player who resides in Missoula – bailed Gerald Kemp and Trumaine Johnson out of jail after their arrest on Oct. 23, 2011. She paid $130 for one player and $190 for the other.

Kemp’s grandfather, who lives out of state, later reimbursed the mother with a personal check for the total amount of the bail. However, under NCAA rules, he waited too long to do so, and Pflugrad failed to inform Montana’s compliance office.

“In the highest degree of technicality, I looked at that relationship, as a mother of a player whose teammate was in trouble, and when does that cross over to being a booster?” Pflugrad said. “If that’s my biggest mistake, then I’m going to move forward with it. Because there has to be some form of humanity in what we do.”

The NCAA also determined that Johnson and Kemp each received $1,500 in free legal representation stemming from the incident. O’Day and Pflugrad say they did not monitor that situation.

“I talked to quite a few coaches in the Pac-12 and the Big Sky Conference,” Pflugrad offered. “Not one of them have ever physically monitored the legal payments of an arrest.

“You know the first thing I did, I made sure none of our coaches had bailed out players. That was my job and I moved on from there.”

Incidents involving Johnson and Kemp were not the only infractions by Montana, according to the NCAA report. But the general consensus is that the NCAA came to town as a result of that situation.

Its 18-month investigation has resulted in the loss of scholarships for upcoming seasons and the vacating of five wins from 2011.

“I understand some of those scholarship losses,” O’Day said, “only in the fact the NCAA has been in here 18 months and they’ve allocated a lot of resources and personnel and time to look at it.

“They absolutely had to come away with something. It’s no different than the IRS when they go in and they are red-flagged on something. They’ve got to come away with something.”

O’Day takes issue with vacating wins, claiming “there’s so much more to the story.”

“Until all of that comes out, which I believe it will, it’s kind of a disappointment,” he said. “It took a lot of hard work and effort by a lot of people on that team. To vacate all that is not fair to those kids.”

The way the two responded to all of this, they make it seem as if they didn't deserve the scholarship losses or the vacated wins. Comparing the IRS to the investigation, "they had to come away with something".

Who cares about the Extremely technical wording of the report, regardless, they shouldn't have been on the team!

What "more to the story" is there? You all made poor decisions in letting two Ineligible players play. If that was a couple of RS Frosh, they wouldn't have been on the team or am I wrong?

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Re: The Griz should have been post season Ineligible

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:53 am

Agreed

I remember that dumbass PlayaRape challenging people about the arrest of Kemp and Johnson while telling people about the "video evidence". I know one of the officers that was there that night and I will take her word for what happened. I was floating the Bitterroot Sunday with her and some friends and we talked about this investigation and stuff per and post incident. No doubt in my mind this should have been handled differently and like I said a year ago Kemp and TJ earned that taser.

Any "Griz fan" that says anything else is a homer with their head up their ass.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:24 am

AlphaGriz1 wrote:Agreed

I remember that dumbass PlayaRape challenging people about the arrest of Kemp and Johnson while telling people about the "video evidence". I know one of the officers that was there that night and I will take her word for what happened. I was floating the Bitterroot Sunday with her and some friends and we talked about this investigation and stuff per and post incident. No doubt in my mind this should have been handled differently and like I said a year ago Kemp and TJ earned that taser.

Any "Griz fan" that says anything else is a homer with their head up their ass.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
My only problem with your post is where you say you take "her" word. It is well established that women lie about events with star athletes in Missoula just to tarnish their reputations. :-k

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 am

Good call, but not this one..........she doesnt like sports....or she would be damn close to perfect. ](*,)

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com