MSU backing down

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU backing down

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:55 am

Rich K wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Fields will be on the Jack Michaels show at 12

http://www.740thefan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That looks like 12 CST, I'm sure that would be 11am here.

ahhh. good point. We'll know in about 5 minutes.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:07 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Fields will be on the Jack Michaels show at 12

http://www.740thefan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That looks like 12 CST, I'm sure that would be 11am here.

ahhh. good point. We'll know in about 5 minutes.
The radio guys are setting the stage for the interview with Fields now. Should be up any time.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Rich K wrote:Anybody else reach the point where they hope that MSU's decision to exercise the buy out option of the contract with NDSU causes the Bison as much scheduling difficulties as possible?

I'm way past the disappointment of not playing them and looking forward to the trip to Dallas which brings with it the opportunity to meet some of the family and friends of our players with Texas roots.
You got that right Rich!

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

doebrmn
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by doebrmn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:45 pm

I think it should be pointed out to the dipsh*t NDSU fans whining and calling out the MSU Coaches and Players because the Ath. Dept. (not the coaches and players) has to make economic decisions that are best for the entire athletic department, that NDSU doesn't even play its own biggest rival, UND. A team that beat them 9 out of the last 11 times they played. Given the fact that the UND/NDSU is the biggest game in ND and attracts the most fans, what does it say about how chicken sh*t NDSU is that they won't play UND. I think that pretty much says it all.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:01 pm

doebrmn wrote:I think it should be pointed out to the dipsh*t NDSU fans whining and calling out the MSU Coaches and Players because the Ath. Dept. (not the coaches and players) has to make economic decisions that are best for the entire athletic department, that NDSU doesn't even play its own biggest rival, UND. A team that beat them 9 out of the last 11 times they played. Given the fact that the UND/NDSU is the biggest game in ND and attracts the most fans, what does it say about how chicken sh*t NDSU is that they won't play UND. I think that pretty much says it all.
Oh great. Now we're going to have to listen to them explain how none of that's true. :lol: Just kidding you NDSU guys. Another question is why have teams bought out at least three games (MSU in 2009*, GSU in 2012 and MSU in 2013) against NDSU in the last five years? Is that just a coincidence?

*The 2009 game wasn't actually bought out, it was re-scheduled, but still. Maybe NDSU fans should be looking within.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:41 pm

doebrmn wrote:I think it should be pointed out to the dipsh*t NDSU fans whining and calling out the MSU Coaches and Players because the Ath. Dept. (not the coaches and players) has to make economic decisions that are best for the entire athletic department, that NDSU doesn't even play its own biggest rival, UND. A team that beat them 9 out of the last 11 times they played. Given the fact that the UND/NDSU is the biggest game in ND and attracts the most fans, what does it say about how chicken sh*t NDSU is that they won't play UND. I think that pretty much says it all.
HA HA. who is this clown?

UND stopped playing NDSU.. hell they even had a PRESS CONFERENCE in 2003 to announce it!!

NDSU said, OK, we will go D1 alone. NDSU called SDSU and the rest is history. NDSU has succeeded more in last 10 years without them , then that last 100 years. COINCIDENCE?? obviously... haha. NDSU has won 2 National Titles, beat 6 FBS teams. und hasn't done squat.

NDSU playoff games are the biggest game in ND, plus the Minnesota games, the Kansas State games, the Colorado State game.

but don't let facts get in the way DOE>

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Well....SMU is paying us $300,000 of which $100,000 is going to NDSU, and $200,000 is going to Monmouth.

If NDSU is that big of a program, then all they have to do is pay us $200,000 so we can have our 6th game against Monmouth, and we would make the date with the Bison! After all that is what we are doing with SMU. The only thing is, we don't have a chance of making any recruiting overtures to any North Dakota or Minnesota players because that is NDSU recruiting territory.

Sorry, I think we need to take care of our own needs first and let NDSU take care of theirs. I suppose they have a hell of a time getting anyone to come and play them non-conference at home ....but that is what happens when you crush everyone for two years and don't have much turnover! Just the facts man!

2024 Resume dominance

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:14 pm

It will draw a sell out crowd on that Thursday night before Labor Day weekend. Chadron drew over 20,000

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:41 am

bobcatbob wrote:It will draw a sell out crowd on that Thursday night before Labor Day weekend. Chadron drew over 20,000
Don't try to confuse rebel by using actual facts!

The Herd
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by The Herd » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:05 am

Most of us Bison fans know this has nothing to do with you guys bieng afraid to play us and it is mostly due to dollars and cents, but to do it this late in the game shows a lack of class and integrity in my opinion. If this had been done last summer or fall, so be it, we would have had plenty of time to find another game. MSU is not making that much more money on this deal to make it worth it to drop a game like this.....I mean you have a shot to take down the two time defending National Champion at their place, who by the way many Texas kids are familiar with due to the last two years down there. I would think that would do more for recruiting than anything else you could do, plus your already going to Texas once for a game this coming year, so you get the best of both worlds as far as recruiting goes. I mean if the little bit of extra cash that MSU is getting on this deal is the difference between your athletic dept making it or not, then your in some serious trouble my friends. Our AD was very gracious and accomadating to MSU allowing them to take their time to get the game rescheduled from years ago, but even after all that your AD still backed out.......I mean come on there comes a time when a mans word and integrity have to mean more than a few hundred thousand dollars, if its even that...doesn't it? A few hundred thousand is very little in todays college athletics, so why do it? This type of thing certainly cannot help in future years as far as scheduling nonconfernence games. None of this is directed at you fans, but more at your AD and administration. These types of games are great for the FCS in general as well, because you see so few interconference power matchups. In 2009 we played only 5 home games in order to honor a home with a team we have since become very familiar with.....Sam Houston and we could have easily scheduled another home game with the money that NDSU has, so I know for a fact that our AD Gene Taylor isn't all about the dollars and cents, because we were playoff eligible that year and as far as making the playoffs goes it would have been more advantagous to have bought that game out, but he didn't. I can somewhat understand skipping out on a game if your some piss ant school like Savannah St. or something, because they literally need every little penny to keep it going, but when your a school like MSU you don't have those issues, so why burn bridges like that? In the end its just a lose lose for both our fan bases and I am sure that most would agree on this....it would have been a great game and atmosphere, now instead we will both probably be playing some cup cake instead. Again none of this is directed at the fanbase and I am sure that a lot of you have expressed your displeasure to your AD and administration, I know if the shoe was on the other foot I would be pissed off at our AD as well. Well good luck next season and who knows maybe the football gods will have us meeting in the playoffs......hopefully in the FargoDome \:D/

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 am

Herd, it is actually a win-win for the Bobcat fans, the school and the Bozeman community. The fans get to go to another FCS home game. The school makes a lot of money on home games which they are using to help fund planned stadium expansion. The Bozeman community benefits greatly by filling the hotel rooms and the restuaunts and bars and morre people shopping. It would have been a great game I agree, but I also understand that ADs get paid to to the best for their school. Circumstances change over time. Maybe future contracts should have time constraints in them. But this one did not and both parties agreed to the terms.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:26 am

The Herd wrote:Most of us Bison fans know this has nothing to do with you guys bieng afraid to play us and it is mostly due to dollars and cents, but to do it this late in the game shows a lack of class and integrity in my opinion. If this had been done last summer or fall, so be it, we would have had plenty of time to find another game. MSU is not making that much more money on this deal to make it worth it to drop a game like this.....I mean you have a shot to take down the two time defending National Champion at their place, who by the way many Texas kids are familiar with due to the last two years down there. I would think that would do more for recruiting than anything else you could do, plus your already going to Texas once for a game this coming year, so you get the best of both worlds as far as recruiting goes. I mean if the little bit of extra cash that MSU is getting on this deal is the difference between your athletic dept making it or not, then your in some serious trouble my friends. Our AD was very gracious and accomadating to MSU allowing them to take their time to get the game rescheduled from years ago, but even after all that your AD still backed out.......I mean come on there comes a time when a mans word and integrity have to mean more than a few hundred thousand dollars, if its even that...doesn't it? A few hundred thousand is very little in todays college athletics, so why do it? This type of thing certainly cannot help in future years as far as scheduling nonconfernence games. None of this is directed at you fans, but more at your AD and administration. These types of games are great for the FCS in general as well, because you see so few interconference power matchups. In 2009 we played only 5 home games in order to honor a home with a team we have since become very familiar with.....Sam Houston and we could have easily scheduled another home game with the money that NDSU has, so I know for a fact that our AD Gene Taylor isn't all about the dollars and cents, because we were playoff eligible that year and as far as making the playoffs goes it would have been more advantagous to have bought that game out, but he didn't. I can somewhat understand skipping out on a game if your some piss ant school like Savannah St. or something, because they literally need every little penny to keep it going, but when your a school like MSU you don't have those issues, so why burn bridges like that? In the end its just a lose lose for both our fan bases and I am sure that most would agree on this....it would have been a great game and atmosphere, now instead we will both probably be playing some cup cake instead. Again none of this is directed at the fanbase and I am sure that a lot of you have expressed your displeasure to your AD and administration, I know if the shoe was on the other foot I would be pissed off at our AD as well. Well good luck next season and who knows maybe the football gods will have us meeting in the playoffs......hopefully in the FargoDome \:D/
Good post. Finally a civil NDSU fan :) Yeah most of us are very dissapointed. NDSU/MSU would have been a good game to see where we stack up. NDSU's style fits MSU's style more as well so you never know what would have happened. I know some people that had already booked their hotels (concert night before) and they were not happy.

I think MSU was VERY excited about getting a NIGHT game the Thursday before Labor Day weekend again. It rocked last year so they did what was in their best interest (and couldn't get a div II team to play that early). I agree the buyout sucks but the contract did have a buyout end date which your AD agreed to when he signed it. That confirms a business agreement. So if they are mad about the date this happened they need to agree on the contract with a larger scheduling gap next time.

Who knows, maybe we'll see each other in the playoffs :) You know the playoff committee will put us on the same side just for the storyline this year. Good luck this year. You definately have a great team coming back this year.
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 am

The Herd wrote:Most of us Bison fans know this has nothing to do with you guys bieng afraid to play us and it is mostly due to dollars and cents, but to do it this late in the game shows a lack of class and integrity in my opinion.....
The more you whiners from Fargo continue, the more I like Fields. I hope you end up playing a winless D-II team and fund them for 3 years.

The Herd
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by The Herd » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:44 am

Stay Classy Bozeman.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 am

The Herd wrote:Stay Classy Bozeman.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I'm pretty sure we would be taking a stance somewhere close to yours. I don't like the change, but understand the need to do it. As a fan all I can say is "sorry". I really was looking forward to this game, even though It would have been very hard to get a ticket.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:54 am

If this was day 1 of this horsecrap I wouldn't have responded (and I didn't.) But after 3 days time for the whining to cease. Your AD should have noticed that MSU was having scheduling difficulties, Fields even contacted him weeks ago and specifically told him. Pretending this surprised him is the most classless and unprofessional part of this whole mess. You coming on here and bemoaning that it shows a "lack of class and integrity" is just more of the same. I do not find you civil.

Obviously I don't speak for all of Bobcatnation or Bozeman.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:13 am

Rich K wrote:
If this was day 1 of this horsecrap I wouldn't have responded (and I didn't.) But after 3 days time for the whining to cease. Your AD should have noticed that MSU was having scheduling difficulties, Fields even contacted him weeks ago and specifically told him. Pretending this surprised him is the most classless and unprofessional part of this whole mess. You coming on here and bemoaning that it shows a "lack of class and integrity" is just more of the same. I do not find you civil.

Maybe Civil wasn't the word I should have used. Just meant he actually put some 'thought' into his comments unlike some of these other clowns that have come over.

They don't like it ... we all understand that. I would be mad too if other way around. However I wouldn't be over on their message board complaining about it for 3 days either. They really had us marked on their calendar that is for sure :)
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:19 am

CARDIAC_CATS wrote:
The Herd wrote:Most of us Bison fans know this has nothing to do with you guys bieng afraid to play us and it is mostly due to dollars and cents, but to do it this late in the game shows a lack of class and integrity in my opinion. If this had been done last summer or fall, so be it, we would have had plenty of time to find another game. MSU is not making that much more money on this deal to make it worth it to drop a game like this.....I mean you have a shot to take down the two time defending National Champion at their place, who by the way many Texas kids are familiar with due to the last two years down there. I would think that would do more for recruiting than anything else you could do, plus your already going to Texas once for a game this coming year, so you get the best of both worlds as far as recruiting goes. I mean if the little bit of extra cash that MSU is getting on this deal is the difference between your athletic dept making it or not, then your in some serious trouble my friends. Our AD was very gracious and accomadating to MSU allowing them to take their time to get the game rescheduled from years ago, but even after all that your AD still backed out.......I mean come on there comes a time when a mans word and integrity have to mean more than a few hundred thousand dollars, if its even that...doesn't it? A few hundred thousand is very little in todays college athletics, so why do it? This type of thing certainly cannot help in future years as far as scheduling nonconfernence games. None of this is directed at you fans, but more at your AD and administration. These types of games are great for the FCS in general as well, because you see so few interconference power matchups. In 2009 we played only 5 home games in order to honor a home with a team we have since become very familiar with.....Sam Houston and we could have easily scheduled another home game with the money that NDSU has, so I know for a fact that our AD Gene Taylor isn't all about the dollars and cents, because we were playoff eligible that year and as far as making the playoffs goes it would have been more advantagous to have bought that game out, but he didn't. I can somewhat understand skipping out on a game if your some piss ant school like Savannah St. or something, because they literally need every little penny to keep it going, but when your a school like MSU you don't have those issues, so why burn bridges like that? In the end its just a lose lose for both our fan bases and I am sure that most would agree on this....it would have been a great game and atmosphere, now instead we will both probably be playing some cup cake instead. Again none of this is directed at the fanbase and I am sure that a lot of you have expressed your displeasure to your AD and administration, I know if the shoe was on the other foot I would be pissed off at our AD as well. Well good luck next season and who knows maybe the football gods will have us meeting in the playoffs......hopefully in the FargoDome \:D/
Good post. Finally a civil NDSU fan :) Yeah most of us are very dissapointed. NDSU/MSU would have been a good game to see where we stack up. NDSU's style fits MSU's style more as well so you never know what would have happened. I know some people that had already booked their hotels (concert night before) and they were not happy.

I think MSU was VERY excited about getting a NIGHT game the Thursday before Labor Day weekend again. It rocked last year so they did what was in their best interest (and couldn't get a div II team to play that early). I agree the buyout sucks but the contract did have a buyout end date which your AD agreed to when he signed it. That confirms a business agreement. So if they are mad about the date this happened they need to agree on the contract with a larger scheduling gap next time.

Who knows, maybe we'll see each other in the playoffs :) You know the playoff committee will put us on the same side just for the storyline this year. Good luck this year. You definately have a great team coming back this year.
I agree. Best post from ND so far. Hard to argue any of the points.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:46 am

The Scoop is reporting this little tidbit:
Valley City State (NAIA - ND): VCSU is seeking to fill an open date for 2013. Our openings are September 21, November 2, and November 16 with a 2014 option. If interested, please contact dennis.mcculloch@vcsu.edu
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just trying to be helpful if there is any schools out there looking to fill a schedule. :wink:

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:49 am

Rich K wrote:

I'm with you Rich - you can speak for me. Herd's post is just another thinly disguised whine. And then he wants to discuss "class." What's also classless is the bizzun AD asking MSU to wait until this week to comment so he could get his whine in the news before MSU provided their logical explanation. While I never thought I'd ever say it, these bizzun fans are starting to make griz fans look like they have some class. While I know some MSU fans wanted to see this game played, I'll be happy to watch MSU play them in the playoffs this year (assuming the bizzun can make the playoffs).

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.