MSU backing down

The place to talk smack with those not fortunate enough to be Bobcat fans.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

word1
BobcatNation Redshirt

MSU backing down

Post by word1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:28 am

I'm wondering what the MSU fans thoughts are here?

Couple good moves are:

1. don't want to play top competition
2. don't honor contracts
3. ......maybe we can get a high seed?

What do you MSU fans have?

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Re: MSU backing down

Post by Bozcat003 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:08 am

word1 wrote:I'm wondering what the MSU fans thoughts are here?

Couple good moves are:

2. don't honor contracts

It's being discussed in another topic.......but from what I see is that we are bummed out. I was looking forward to that game and it is defiantly a bummer. NDSU is maybe the best team the FCS has ever had an I, along with most of the posters and probably players and coaches, really wanted to play a top notch team. However at the same time IF we are playing SMU I like that move too. Honestly it's more winnable in my opinion, and it's a way to keep our rexruiting pipeline in Texas open while also getting paid. Defiantly still a bummer that we didn't fulfil our side of the bargain. Both schools have great teams and its a bummer that we won't play.

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:31 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
word1 wrote:I'm wondering what the MSU fans thoughts are here?

Couple good moves are:

2. don't honor contracts

It's being discussed in another topic.......but from what I see is that we are bummed out. I was looking forward to that game and it is defiantly a bummer. NDSU is maybe the best team the FCS has ever had an I, along with most of the posters and probably players and coaches, really wanted to play a top notch team. However at the same time IF we are playing SMU I like that move too. Honestly it's more winnable in my opinion, and it's a way to keep our rexruiting pipeline in Texas open while also getting paid. Defiantly still a bummer that we didn't fulfil our side of the bargain. Both schools have great teams and its a bummer that we won't play.
I'd have to agree with this. It wouldn't be so bad if we hadn't opted out with NDSU in 2009. Does make us look like we don't honor our contracts.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:20 am

I am very disappointed that MSU is not going to be playing the NDSU game next year - however, I am getting a bit tired of people saying that MSU is not honoring the contract. Whether you like the move or not, they ARE honoring the contract by exercising the buyout clause and paying the fee as stipulated by the contract. Breaking the contract would be backing out of the game without paying the buyout fee. I'm pretty sure there are two reasons for the move: money and recruiting exposure, as Texas has been MSU's primary out of state recruiting focus area (although CA seems to be catching up here). I would say that a third reason is that they don't want to have to travel to North Dakota twice in the same year, although now they'll have to travel to Texas twice next year and I'd say that's just as bad travel-wise.

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:37 am

MSU01 wrote:I am very disappointed that MSU is not going to be playing the NDSU game next year - however, I am getting a bit tired of people saying that MSU is not honoring the contract. Whether you like the move or not, they ARE honoring the contract by exercising the buyout clause and paying the fee as stipulated by the contract. Breaking the contract would be backing out of the game without paying the buyout fee. I'm pretty sure there are two reasons for the move: money and recruiting exposure, as Texas has been MSU's primary out of state recruiting focus area (although CA seems to be catching up here). I would say that a third reason is that they don't want to have to travel to North Dakota twice in the same year, although now they'll have to travel to Texas twice next year and I'd say that's just as bad travel-wise.

Will they travel twice? Or is the proposed SMU game the week before SFA - which could mean they stay in Texas and possibly have a whole week to introduce recruits (and potential boosters) to the team?

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 am

oedipuss wrote:Will they travel twice? Or is the proposed SMU game the week before SFA - which could mean they stay in Texas and possibly have a whole week to introduce recruits (and potential boosters) to the team?
The NDSU game was scheduled for 9/7, while the SFA game is on 9/21.

Bobcat Jim
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcat Jim » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:29 pm

MSU01 wrote:I am very disappointed that MSU is not going to be playing the NDSU game next year - however, I am getting a bit tired of people saying that MSU is not honoring the contract. Whether you like the move or not, they ARE honoring the contract by exercising the buyout clause and paying the fee as stipulated by the contract. Breaking the contract would be backing out of the game without paying the buyout fee. I'm pretty sure there are two reasons for the move: money and recruiting exposure, as Texas has been MSU's primary out of state recruiting focus area (although CA seems to be catching up here). I would say that a third reason is that they don't want to have to travel to North Dakota twice in the same year, although now they'll have to travel to Texas twice next year and I'd say that's just as bad travel-wise.
Yes , MSU is honoring the wordage of the contract, but still don't think you could convince the NDSU fan base that we aren't backing out-TWICE.

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:39 pm

Smu is dropping Baylor game supposedly. Coach June jones wanted a cupcake.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:40 pm

rebel wrote:The timing of the announcement, or leak, before a three day weekend, is something the White House of Congress would pull. The Cats had the opportunity to prove they belong among the top FCS programs in the country. The players and fans are the ones short changed by this move. Former Fresno State coach Pat Hill had a different take on the competition. "Under Hill Fresno State has routinely scheduled highly ranked opponents from power conferences, part of Hill's insistence that the Bulldogs must "play the best and beat the best to be considered the best."(from Wiki). SMU will be no pushover, but the game is relatively meaningless compared to a NDSU contest.
The official explanation should be interesting, but this move has the appearance of a dodge. I wonder how the players feel about it.
It does have the appearance of a dodge, but I think it's a money move. Pay $100k so you can make $300-400k, then have a little more flexibility to schedule another home game, which makes you more money.

I do think there is a benefit to not having two tough non-conference FCS road games in addition to what could be a grueling BSC slate, but I think that's secondary.

This doesn't put NDSU out at all...they're trying to play a victim card here. It's only good for them. They make $100k and can still schedule another game. They could pack their arena bringing Concordia across the river for an early-season game. Seriously, NDSU fans, quit acting like we as fans owe you an explanation or an apology.

MSUcantouchus
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUcantouchus » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Isnt NDSU D2?

I hate dark pink

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:25 pm

NDSU fans, if this comes down and MSU deciding to play SMU, don't take it personally. It's a business decision.

Here's how I see it.
First, MSU is not "dodging" the Bison any more than Oregon dodged the Bobcats last year. We are not afraid of mighty NDSU and hopefully we will play them in 2013. However, on the practicality side:

My guess MSU will net at least a couple hundred thousand more $'s at SMU than NDSU
Texas is one of our prime recruiting territories. Here's an opportunity to "show our stuff" right there near down town Dallas.
I gotta think our players would love it. McGee and friends from Texas get to play on a warm late summer day or night, in beautiful 35,000 seat Gerald R. Ford Stadium on the SMU campus in front of parents, family and friends. Actually, Euless is adjacent to Dallas-Ft. Worth international, and is a suburb located right next to Dallas, so those boys would actually be playing at home.
Alternatively, they could be playing indoors in front of 18,500 howling wood chippers while trying to break in a new offense.
Again, we fear not NDSU. In the recent past we have opened with folks like Texas A&M, Michigan State and Washington State. So aside from WSU, we have been beaten up by teams a hell of a lot tougher than the Bison. The question in my mind is...are we passing up an opportunity to kick come Bison A$$?.....because we are going to be very good

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Colter is suggesting on another thread that MSU needs the extra money from the SMU game to pay a FCS team to come to Bozeman. If this is the case, then the move makes even more sense. The last thing MSU needs is to have to play 3 non-conference games on the road and only 1 home game against a D-II, or even worse two home games against D-II schools.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Looking at the SMU Fan Forum and they pretty much mirror the reactions of NDSU fans, but for opposite reasons. Most are definitely not happy the Cats might be coming.
"We're not worthy"! 8-[

Plainiac
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Plainiac » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Nice. So nobodies happy. Thanks Peter.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:58 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:Looking at the SMU Fan Forum and they pretty much mirror the reactions of NDSU fans, but for opposite reasons. Most are definitely not happy the Cats might be coming.
"We're not worthy"! 8-[

There is also this little gem.
Montana State could easily beat us... they are a good team.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:32 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:NDSU fans, if this comes down and MSU deciding to play SMU, don't take it personally. It's a business decision.

Here's how I see it.
First, MSU is not "dodging" the Bison any more than Oregon dodged the Bobcats last year. We are not afraid of mighty NDSU and hopefully we will play them in 2013. However, on the practicality side:

My guess MSU will net at least a couple hundred thousand more $'s at SMU than NDSU
Texas is one of our prime recruiting territories. Here's an opportunity to "show our stuff" right there near down town Dallas.
I gotta think our players would love it. McGee and friends from Texas get to play on a warm late summer day or night, in beautiful 35,000 seat Gerald R. Ford Stadium on the SMU campus in front of parents, family and friends. Actually, Euless is adjacent to Dallas-Ft. Worth international, and is a suburb located right next to Dallas, so those boys would actually be playing at home.
Alternatively, they could be playing indoors in front of 18,500 howling wood chippers while trying to break in a new offense.
Again, we fear not NDSU. In the recent past we have opened with folks like Texas A&M, Michigan State and Washington State. So aside from WSU, we have been beaten up by teams a hell of a lot tougher than the Bison. The question in my mind is...are we passing up an opportunity to kick come Bison A$$?.....because we are going to be very good

Have you ever been to Dallas in January to play college football ?? its really amazing, you should try it sometimes! NDSU has been "showing our stuff" right there in Dallas for 2 years now......... so you lose again! on and off paper.

doebrmn
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by doebrmn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 pm

After reading three threads on the same topics I have reached 2 conclusions. (1) if college football fans haven't figured out that without money there is no such thing as college football then it is time to pull your head out. While coaches and players love high profile match ups, the people who actually run college sports programs have to deal with the realities that besides football and some Men's basketball programs, college atheletics don't pay for themselves. As such, they don't care about matchups, they care (and rightfully) about how to fund the budget. If that means passing on a game to schedule another game that will result in more money for the athletic department, so be it. (2) NDSU fans are becoming the new Griz fans. Total arrogant dip sh*ts....................... You might want to take a look over to Missoula and see where that has led the UM football program. MSU is not afraid of playing NDSU and the coaches and players would be happy to play you. Unfortunately, despite winning back to back FCS NC, your program still can't pay sh*t to a visiting team and unless you can you just have to deal with the realities.

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Doebrmn-

coaches and players would be happy to play you YOUR COACHES ARE THE ONES THAT PUSHED THIS!

ABQCat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ABQCat » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:15 pm

lakesbison wrote:Doebrmn-

coaches and players would be happy to play you YOUR COACHES ARE THE ONES THAT PUSHED THIS!
Funny stuff there lakes. At the last QBC meeting Ash expressed frustration on how he had no control over the schedule. Next time you use bold and all caps, they to say something that's remotely true.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Lakes bison, you don't know how this decision was made or who made it. None of us do right now. Yes there are RUMORS flying around but they are rumors! The bottom line is us fans wanted to see this game played. We were looking forward to seeing the Cat's kick your butt. Many of us fans have emailed our displeasure to our AD. Nobody disagrees with you that the timing was bad. Unfortunately, sh--t happens. Quit whining and get on with your life. Everyone is on the same page here with you. It's time to move on!