Helmet to Helmet

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Helmet to Helmet

Post by msu_agfan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:20 am

Watching last night's Broncos vs Panthers game, Cam Newton was hit at least 4 times, helmet to helmet. Only one of those was called, and that was as an offsetting penalty for intentional grounding. Heck, after three of those hits, who wouldn't intentionally ground it when you see a possible 4th time coming? So, are they now going to be more lax on the helmet to helmet calls, or is Cam going to have a beef with officials now. Oh yeah, he's also the reigning MVP, shouldn't he get a little benefit of the doubt?

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Helmet to Helmet

Post by RickRund » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:30 am

Can't watch the games but I heard it was pretty bad...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:35 am

I'm sure a few Bronco defenders are going to be a bit lighter in the wallet next week. The NFL needs to start showing that they take head shots seriously, especially after the concussion movie and PBS special.
But yes, I agree there should have been a couple flags thrown.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:40 am

The one that was offset by the grounding was correctly called and applied. There were two defenders involved in the play. Newton was getting tackled from behind and was trying to just get rid of the ball to throw away. So his throwing motion and the defender tackling him caused Newton's head level to drop a little bit (6 inches to a foot). The oncoming defender in no way was launching towards his head. But that being said, it was still pretty high so the penalty was warranted. But just the roughing the passer variety and not the targeting variety. But if Newton's trajectory wasn't going down, I'm not sure there would've been head-to-head contact. Ball was clearly gone from Newton's hand before the penalty happened. Very physical play but it did not look to be intent to go to head. The grounding and the hit really had nothing to do with each other. If the oncoming defender only aims 6 inches lower, it is grounding with no other penalty.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:09 pm

91catAlum wrote:I'm sure a few Bronco defenders are going to be a bit lighter in the wallet next week. The NFL needs to start showing that they take head shots seriously, especially after the concussion movie and PBS special.
But yes, I agree there should have been a couple flags thrown.
Like I said... Stewart and Marshall both fined today by the league, around 25K each.