chip kelly swings

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

chip kelly swings

Post by catamaran » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Now he's back to being the eagles coach

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: chip kelly swings

Post by TIrwin24 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm

I really can't understand why he would leave a program that's on the verge of being the top in the country, to go to the Eagles.

Doesn't make any sense.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

NrthFce
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by NrthFce » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Maybe a... "get out before the sanctions"...?

*see Pete Carroll

MSU Alumni!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:16 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:I really can't understand why he would leave a program that's on the verge of being the top in the country, to go to the Eagles.

Doesn't make any sense.
I personally feel the same way -- being a top college coach would seem to be the dream job. But I think that in the coaching world, just like in the player's world, being in the NFL is the ultimate sign of skill, and a guy like Kelly has to have a pretty good ego simply to have achieved what he has already.

It seems that a lot of college coaches take a trip to the NFL, tend not to do well, and then come back and kick butt again (as it's a lot harder to excel in the NFL when you don't get your pick of the litter in terms of players like you can at college if you're a name guy).

I suspect the differences in the details of the jobs themselves may appeal to some guys as well. All of the recruiting and mentoring of student-athletes, and the whole academic setting, could become a bit of a grind for some guys. In the NFL, you're just a football coach full-time, and that may be something that appeals to a guy like Kelly.

I imagine he is getting a raise as well.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:39 pm

The best part of the nfl is that it's not the Stalinistic NCAA.