Texas QBs in NFL

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Texas QBs in NFL

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 am

Interesting article from Adam Schefter:

"Twenty-five percent of NFL teams now start a quarterback who either played high school or college football in Texas -- sometimes both. Another 10 quarterbacks who played in Texas are NFL backups, one snap away from starting. And that doesn't include Carolina's Cam Newton, who spent one year of junior college in Texas."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10s ... er-10-spot

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Re: Texas QBs in NFL

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:12 am

91catAlum wrote:Interesting article from Adam Schefter:

"Twenty-five percent of NFL teams now start a quarterback who either played high school or college football in Texas -- sometimes both. Another 10 quarterbacks who played in Texas are NFL backups, one snap away from starting. And that doesn't include Carolina's Cam Newton, who spent one year of junior college in Texas."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10s ... er-10-spot
That's a pretty good read; I've also read another article lamenting the downfall or down-cycle of the Big 10 and part of that thesis was attributable to the lack of games/practice the northern kids get in relation to the southern states. I know we laugh at Go Scats Go when he comes on here, but in one of his posts I believe he revealed he is on one of Texas' premier high school coaching staffs. The level of coaching coupled with the camps the southern kids attend should be obvious to most of us, but sometimes the apologists for the way things are in some places have more sway than facing up to the fact that we tend to put our kids at a disadvantage by limiting not only practice time but game time in many parts of the country. When you look at the sheer number of camps the southern kids attend and then look at the number of games they play, this places them at at definite advantage.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 am

Texas has state championships for 7on7 leagues--outside of their normal seasons. They also are allowed to take "Football Class" (or bball, or any sport) as part of their normal coursework. That means that for 1 hour/day all year long the coach can basically have practice in addition to the normal season and 7on7 season.

Their was an article in SI awhile back about the # of D1 FBS starting QB's from Texas and it was astronomical. I bet if you looked at FBS and FCS it would really be impressive.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:53 am

Too lazy to do the research, but I believe the WAC is one of the leading conferences for Super Bowl winning quarterbacks. ESPN provided the article I mentioned about what is happening to the Big 10.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... erformance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When athletes are able to train and condition the year round in high school, attend camps as a team along with the coaching staff, have spring practice for at least two weeks, you'd think they would have a better working knowledge of the game and be fundamentally sound in every aspect of the game, not just directing the offense. Certain colleges seem to have an erosion of talent among the skill players over a four year college career and by that I mean it bothers some of my former colleagues to see a kid light up a school as a freshman and slowly disappear over four years in college--I tell them I think it's cyclical.

Those lucky enough to watch Sorensen this weekend may be seeing the pendulum swing out west again. Utah State has a really good kid this year also. Oregon State has a good young kid.

Still considering making the drive just to say I got to see him in college.