Elvis

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MashTun
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Elvis

Post by MashTun » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Just saw this on Yahoo.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--elvis ... c9qjBDubYF

Gonna miss that guy..... :kicksrock:

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Elvis

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:14 pm

I wonder what they consider dominating at this level? I thought Elvis was pretty dominant...

MashTun

Post by MashTun » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:14 pm

LTown Cat wrote:I wonder what they consider dominating at this level? I thought Elvis was pretty dominant...
He's top level talent in the FCS for sure. Hope he does well. Eagles are pretty pass happy, so that's good for him.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:29 pm

LTown Cat wrote:I wonder what they consider dominating at this level? I thought Elvis was pretty dominant...
I was thinking the same thing. That comment seemed a bit naive about the game at this level. Did they expect him to average 300 yards per game at this level? Do they really think that most NFL receivers would have done that?

Old Skool Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Old Skool Cat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:59 am

It seems rather myopic that sports journalists who are the so-called "experts" continue to bash talent at the FCS level. Do they not realize that at least in the case of receivers, 3 of the top 5 leaders in career receiving are from schools that were or currently are, FCS schools: Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley State), Terrell Owens (Tennessee-Chattanoga), and Randy Moss (Marshall). At #3 all-time receiving is Issac Bruce from Memphis, which while not an FCS school, it's a school generally not known for it's football. As for career receiving TDs, again you have Rice, Owens, & Moss as 1-2-3 on that list. Now granted, those guys were exceptional talents, but they definitely prove that you do not have to come from a big-time program to make an impact. I could go on & on talking about other guys like Walter Payton, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Adam Vinatieri, Steve McNair, Michael Strahan, Richard Dent, Howie Long, etc., but heck I guess them guys from small schools can't play ball anyway so why give 'em any credit. :roll:

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Old Skool Cat wrote:It seems rather myopic that sports journalists who are the so-called "experts" continue to bash talent at the FCS level. Do they not realize that at least in the case of receivers, 3 of the top 5 leaders in career receiving are from schools that were or currently are, FCS schools: Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley State), Terrell Owens (Tennessee-Chattanoga), and Randy Moss (Marshall). At #3 all-time receiving is Issac Bruce from Memphis, which while not an FCS school, it's a school generally not known for it's football. As for career receiving TDs, again you have Rice, Owens, & Moss as 1-2-3 on that list. Now granted, those guys were exceptional talents, but they definitely prove that you do not have to come from a big-time program to make an impact. I could go on & on talking about other guys like Walter Payton, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Adam Vinatieri, Steve McNair, Michael Strahan, Richard Dent, Howie Long, etc., but heck I guess them guys from small schools can't play ball anyway so why give 'em any credit. :roll:
You might be able to add Minter to that list in a few years!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

MashTun

Post by MashTun » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 pm

Old Skool Cat wrote:It seems rather myopic that sports journalists who are the so-called "experts" continue to bash talent at the FCS level. Do they not realize that at least in the case of receivers, 3 of the top 5 leaders in career receiving are from schools that were or currently are, FCS schools: Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley State), Terrell Owens (Tennessee-Chattanoga), and Randy Moss (Marshall). At #3 all-time receiving is Issac Bruce from Memphis, which while not an FCS school, it's a school generally not known for it's football. As for career receiving TDs, again you have Rice, Owens, & Moss as 1-2-3 on that list. Now granted, those guys were exceptional talents, but they definitely prove that you do not have to come from a big-time program to make an impact. I could go on & on talking about other guys like Walter Payton, Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Adam Vinatieri, Steve McNair, Michael Strahan, Richard Dent, Howie Long, etc., but heck I guess them guys from small schools can't play ball anyway so why give 'em any credit. :roll:
I don't watch college gameday anymore because I got so tired of Herbstreit and Fowler sneering at the FCS teams.

Even on the day when App. knocked off Michigan, Herbstriet can't even say "good job" instead, the first thing I heard him say was "App. got lucky". Classless.