Ryan Leaf....

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

MashTun
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Ryan Leaf....

Post by MashTun » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:54 pm

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Re: Ryan Leaf....

Post by tampa_griz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:24 pm

I think his problems in Texas will prove to be more troubling.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Show of hands, who feels sorry for this guy? Who even cares anymore?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:41 pm

allcat wrote:Show of hands, who feels sorry for this guy? Who even cares anymore?
I do. He played hurt in high school and college and now he's an addict? Go ahead--throw the first stone...There but for the grace of God, go I.

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
allcat wrote:Show of hands, who feels sorry for this guy? Who even cares anymore?
I do. He played hurt in high school and college and now he's an addict? Go ahead--throw the first stone...There but for the grace of God, go I.
I feel bad for him. Sure he was a cocky and mouthy kid. But he's on the verge of killing himself if he doesn't get this figured out. I wish him well and a successful recovery.

GRIZFNZ
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZFNZ » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Ryan Leaf = Karma...ain't it a motherfu%&er

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

MashTun
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MashTun » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:36 am

tampa_griz wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
I feel bad for him. Sure he was a cocky and mouthy kid. But he's on the verge of killing himself if he doesn't get this figured out. I wish him well and a successful recovery.
My thoughts exactly. Hope he gets it figured out.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 am

tampa_griz wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
+1

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:26 pm

I do. The guy's in deep personal trouble and he's never done anything to hurt me or anyone else that I know about. I hope he gets his life straightened out.

Addiction is not something that I would blame anyone for ... I just hope they can find a way to overcome it.

When we are talking about pro sports, in terms of who wins and who loses, that's all nothing more than entertainment in my mind. I don't even bother trying to treat it seriously or applying any real standards to how I view things.

But when you strip all of that away and get down to the real people involved in their real personal lives, I try to look at them as I would my neighbors or anyone else ... and so it saddens me greatly to hear about a guy like him or anyone else struggling with life as much as he is.

I'm hoping for a happy ending. There's still a chance. He hasn't killed anybody or done anything (that I'm aware of) that will have lasting harm on anyone else, so if he can get things straightened out in his own head/body, and get his legal matters cleared up, all is well.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
I do. The guy's in deep personal trouble and he's never done anything to hurt me or anyone else that I know about. I hope he gets his life straightened out.

Addiction is not something that I would blame anyone for ... I just hope they can find a way to overcome it.

When we are talking about pro sports, in terms of who wins and who loses, that's all nothing more than entertainment in my mind. I don't even bother trying to treat it seriously or applying any real standards to how I view things.

But when you strip all of that away and get down to the real people involved in their real personal lives, I try to look at them as I would my neighbors or anyone else ... and so it saddens me greatly to hear about a guy like him or anyone else struggling with life as much as he is.

I'm hoping for a happy ending. There's still a chance. He hasn't killed anybody or done anything (that I'm aware of) that will have lasting harm on anyone else, so if he can get things straightened out in his own head/body, and get his legal matters cleared up, all is well.
I don't. He has had many opportunities that most of us are never going to have. The only reason that we know anything about him, is because he had those opportunities. I have freinds that have had to go to rehab, and I have supported them. I don't know this guy, or care what happens to him. He is a thief, he broke into people's houses to steal. This guy has had many "second chances" he has ignored them all.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:04 pm

you guys are both right. he has certainly had many chances to get things together. no question. i don't put much stock into the fact that he's had more opportunities than the rest of us because he made money. who cares. i have had more opportunitis than the homeless guy on the corner too....doesn't mean i'm perfect. doesn't mean i can't have personal issues and make mistakes. same goes for him. in fact, making all that money probably hurt him more than it helped. i'm pretty neutral in this matter. hope he gets it figured out this time.

all that said, his words during testimony yesterday stuck with me. basically talked about what a failure he has been to his family. went on to say that the next five years he's in jail will maybe be the happiest his parents will ever be because for once they won't have to deal with him. doubt that is true, but it was a shame to hear either way.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 pm

allcat wrote:I don't.
Who even cares? :wink:

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:

Your post reminds me of a column Christopher Hitchens wrote in response to how people reacted when Paris Hilton's arrest was broadcast and she was crying and so forth. He basically said that taking joy in the misfortune of someone who really didn't harm anyone in a significant way, even someone as annoying as her, says as much about those people as it does the former. If interested:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... paris.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:29 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
Although you are trying to use my post against me, does this one not turn around on you?

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:41 pm

allcat wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
Although you are trying to use my post against me, does this one not turn around on you?
No, it doesn't turn back on me. You asked the question that I (and others) answered, so you must have cared about the answer.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
allcat wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:
No, it doesn't turn back on me. You asked the question that I (and others) answered, so you must have cared about the answer.
Perhaps other people's opinions, but not the guy.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:47 pm

FWIW one of the jailers in GF told me today that Leaf was saying he said what he said because that is what the judge wants to hear.

It is simply amazing that people still believe anything this idiot says, the only thing he is sorry for is that he got caught and that is no surprise since hes been the same way since high school. The sooner hes gone the better off the world will be.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Feel sorry for Ryan Leaf? No, I don't. I do have pity for him though. I do really think though he may be a true DB at heart, that his life has spiraled completely out of his control also. And on a purely human level I hope he can figure out how to get his crap together before he kills himself or someone else.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:04 am

KittieKop wrote:Feel sorry for Ryan Leaf? No, I don't. I do have pity for him though. I do really think though he may be a true DB at heart, that his life has spiraled completely out of his control also. And on a purely human level I hope he can figure out how to get his crap together before he kills himself or someone else.
That would be our wish for everybody,