Harry Kalas Passes Away

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Harry Kalas Passes Away

Post by D-Wreck » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:39 am

Not sure how this wasn't mentioned earlier yesterday.

WASHINGTON -- Radio and TV broadcaster Harry Kalas, whose baritone delivery and signature "Outta here!" home run calls provided the soundtrack to Philadelphia baseball for nearly four decades, died Monday after collapsing in the broadcast booth before the Phillies' game against the Washington Nationals. He was 73.

"We lost our voice today," Phillies president David Montgomery said. "He has loved our game and made just a tremendous contribution to our sport and certainly to our organization."

Familiar to millions of sports fans outside Philadelphia for his voice-over work with NFL Films, "Harry the K" was beloved at home. Since 1971, he was the man who was the bearer of news -- good and bad -- to those who followed the losingest franchise in major professional sports.

bozbobcat
Member # Retired

Re: Harry Kalas Passes Away

Post by bozbobcat » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Harry Kalas was a great baseball announcer, and based on everything I've heard, a great person. With satellite radio, I got to hear him call some baseball games, and it was always a pleasure to listen to him, especially when the Phillies hit a home run. His call of the end of the World Series was amazing, considering he didn't get to do it in 1980. All of us fans know what it's like to have a great announcer, and it must be really sad when one passes away. RIP, Harry.

GO CATS!
It's always a good day to be a Bobcat fan! :) =D^ \:D/
My name is Steve, if you'd like to know.