Belgrade to AA

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Belgrade to AA

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:56 pm

John K wrote:So I suppose that means that Butte High will be moved back into the Western Division, with 8 teams in each division. I wonder if AA will over go back to having divisional basketball tournaments again, rather than the playoff format that they've used for many years? The AA and C classifications are getting larger, while the A and B ranks continue shrinking. Where is the new Bozeman high school going to be located?
Aren’t there AA divisional tournaments this year?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
John K wrote:So I suppose that means that Butte High will be moved back into the Western Division, with 8 teams in each division. I wonder if AA will over go back to having divisional basketball tournaments again, rather than the playoff format that they've used for many years? The AA and C classifications are getting larger, while the A and B ranks continue shrinking. Where is the new Bozeman high school going to be located?
Are there? I hadn't heard anything about AA changing their post season format, but I guess I don't know that forvsure.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:00 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Yes there are, and I believe the western AA divisional is in Helena. I saw it in the news recently, but not sure where... KXLH.com maybe.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:58 am

John K wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
Are there? I hadn't heard anything about AA changing their post season format, but I guess I don't know that forvsure.
Found it.

http://helenair.com/business/chamber-of ... 882bf.html

"Coming up in March, there are two big tournament weekends with the first weekend being the Divisional AA basketball tournament. This is a new tournament, as in the past we have had play-off games and then teams advanced to the State AA Tournament. Both the boys and girls teams from the Western Division will be in Helena on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd of March to determine which teams advance. The girls' tournament will be at Capital High School and the boys' tournament will be at Helena High School. "

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:43 pm

When did memorial stadium in great falls get turf?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:54 pm

lutecat wrote:When did memorial stadium in great falls get turf?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
They installed it last summer. Last season was the first year they played on it.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:45 pm

https://twitter.com/NickPetraccione/status/982020186801754112

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 am

Below are the 2016-17 SPRING Enrollments for AA and Belgrade (the 2016-17 Fall enrollments are ~ 2% higher)
• Bozeman......2094
• Senior.........1810
• West..........1761
• Helena........1555
• Skyview.......1521
• GFH...........1446
• CMR...........1441
• Flathead......1402
• Glacier........1293
• Capital........1292
• Butte..........1224
• Sentinel.......1199
• Hellgate.......1167
• Big Sky.........1099
• Belgrade...... 825

There are currently 14 AA schools which are made up of 2 conferences of 7 schools each;
WEST: Capital, Helena, Sentinel, Hellgate, Big Sky, Flathead, Glacier
EAST: CMR, GFH, Butte, Bozeman, Senior, West, Skyview

After Bozeman splits and Belgrade moves to AA, there will be 16 AA schools. The most logical and probable adjustment would be for Butte to move to the Western Conference, which would leave each conference with 8 teams.

FYI, currently there are about 20,000+ kids enrolled in all 14 AA schools combined. The remaining A, B, & C schools have about 22,000+ kids. Once Belgrade moves to AA, the amount of kids enrolled in AA schools will approximately equal the number of kids enrolled in A, B & C schools.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:34 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 am
Below are the 2016-17 SPRING Enrollments for AA and Belgrade (the 2016-17 Fall enrollments are ~ 2% higher)
• Bozeman......2094
• Senior.........1810
• West..........1761
• Helena........1555
• Skyview.......1521
• GFH...........1446
• CMR...........1441
• Flathead......1402
• Glacier........1293
• Capital........1292
• Butte..........1224
• Sentinel.......1199
• Hellgate.......1167
• Big Sky.........1099
• Belgrade...... 825

There are currently 14 AA schools which are made up of 2 conferences of 7 schools each;
WEST: Capital, Helena, Sentinel, Hellgate, Big Sky, Flathead, Glacier
EAST: CMR, GFH, Butte, Bozeman, Senior, West, Skyview

After Bozeman splits and Belgrade moves to AA, there will be 16 AA schools. The most logical and probable adjustment would be for Butte to move to the Western Conference, which would leave each conference with 8 teams.

FYI, currently there are about 20,000+ kids enrolled in all 14 AA schools combined. The remaining A, B, & C schools have about 22,000+ kids. Once Belgrade moves to AA, the amount of kids enrolled in AA schools will approximately equal the number of kids enrolled in A, B & C schools.
That enrollment number is about to explode for Belgrade though. Note that that is a number that is already a year out of date and the incoming classes just keep getting bigger at Belgrade High. My oldest just graduated from Belgrade High, I believe there were 178 kids in the class. My youngest just went through 8th grade promotion and will be a freshman at Belgrade High this year and I think there was close to 250 at the 8th grade promotion. The classes coming behind that are even bigger from what I've been told.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:50 am

Belgrade High's enrollment starting this school year is about 990 students-that's what a school district employee told me yesterday.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:50 am
Belgrade High's enrollment starting this school year is about 990 students-that's what a school district employee told me yesterday.
Wow. I was told last year that their 6th and 7th grade were over 300 kids/each.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:33 am

Since there will be three AA schools in the Bozeman Belgrade area, is anyone talking about building one new stadium for all three schools to accommodate the growing area population.

I know the current plan is to build a new stadium to accommodate the two Bozeman schools but seems like someone should at least force the discussion of adding Belgrade in the mix. Seems like it could save a few tax dollars down the road.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:34 am

Since there will be three AA schools in the Bozeman Belgrade area, is anyone talking about building one new stadium for all three schools to accommodate the growing area population.

I know the current plan is to build a new stadium to accommodate the two Bozeman schools but seems like someone should at least force the discussion of adding Belgrade in the mix. Seems like it could save a few tax dollars down the road.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:13 pm

It's always good to be thinking outside the box...but that's not gonna happen. While some may think Belgrade is just a big Bozeman area subdivision, it is actually a completely separate city and school district. Belgrade High has a very nice-appropriately sized football stadium parked right next to the fabulous Belgrade Special Events Center. It's got lights and everything, and it will work just fine when Belgrade goes AA.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Yeah..it really wasn't me thinking outside the box as much as having experienced it. I lived in an area of Texas that had 9 high schools, all with over 3000 students. They played all their home games in one of only two stadiums. It was a nice coordinated effort.

And last week in Brookings, it was pointed out that the local donors wanted the local high school to be able to play their home games at the new SDSU stadium. So things like that can be made to work.

But that being said, it sounds like Belgrade is pretty well set up and will not need a larger facility. Thanks for clarifying.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:30 pm

There are a lot of folks who think Bozeman's high schools should play in Bobcat Stadium. It's not a terrible idea, but for a bunch of reasons it won't happen.
With the way things are growing, I could see a third Bozeman high school coming along someday and all three playing in the same stadium. If all the high schools are in the same school district it makes sense.