2017 Class A Playoffs (First Round)

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2017 Class A Playoffs (First Round)

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Playoff Bracket: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... cket-A.pdf

Top-side of Bracket

5-3 Butte Central (West Wildcard) at 7-1 Dillon (#2 Southwest)

Butte Central Key Players – RB/LB Ryan Moodry (Sr.), RB/LB Clay Fisher (Jr.), QB/DB Cade Holter (Jr.), WR/DB Matt Simkins (So.), OL/DL Aaron Richards (So.), QB/WR/DB Thomas McGree (So.)

Dillon Key Players – QB/S Coby King (Sr.), RB/LB Graden Greenslade (Sr.), OL/LB Tyler Walker (Jr.), WR/LB Brent Tezak (Sr.), WR/DB Gabe Kirkley (Sr.), OL/DL Clay Allison (Sr.)

These two rivals played a hard fought game on September 22 this fall with Dillon squeaking out a 13-6 victory. Butte Central's best player is RB/MLB Ryan Moodry who was All-State his junior season playing both ways. Dillon is once again a solid football team across the board but senior quarterback Coby King has really improved throughout the season. King is his team's MVP in my opinion though a case could be made for either junior offensive guard/middle linebacker Tyler Walker or RB/LB Graden Greenslade. Both teams love to run the football and stop the run on defense so expect this one to be another low-scoring, physical battle in the trenches. Winner plays at Sidney in the quarterfinals. Prediction: Dillon wins 20-7

5-4 Lewistown (#5 East) at 7-2 Miles City (#4 East)

Lewistown Key Players - QB Mitch Norslien (Jr.), RB/LB Wesley Jameson (Jr.), FB/LB Wyatt Blythe (Sr.), OL/DL Elijah Greenburg (So.), OL/DL Mason Harrison (Jr.), WR/DB Jake Clinton (Jr.)

Miles City Key Players – QB/S Gabe Gundlach (Sr.), RB/LB Keith Vanderlaan (Jr.), WR/DB Zack Dinardi (Sr.), WR/DB Jess Bellows (So.), OL/DL Hayes Meged (Sr.), WR/DB Kip Krebsbach (Sr.)

Lewistown travels to Miles City to face perhaps the hottest team in Class A to finish the season. The Cowboys reeled off seven straight wins to finish the regular season after losing their first two games to Billings Central (21-14) and Laurel (34-30). The eye-opener was a 28-0 shutout of #1 seed Sidney two weeks ago where Miles City looked like a legitimate title contender. Team MVP Gabe Gundlach has been outstanding his senior season and distributes the ball effectively to a host of talented receivers and backs. Meanwhile, Lewistown returns to the playoffs lead by junior QB Mitch Norslien and RB/LB Wesley Jameson who are both juniors and my Co-MVP's for the Golden Eagles. Lewistown fell to Miles City 19-2 early in the season so this one should be competitive to start but I see Miles City rolling to an easy victory in the second half. Winner will travel West to face Columbia Falls. Prediction: Miles City wins 34-13

Bottom-side of Bracket

4-5 Glendive (#6 East) at 7-2 Laurel (#3 East)

Glendive Key Players – QB/DB Cade Dockter (Sr.), OL/DL Jayden Holley (Sr.), WR/LB Robby Keiser (Sr.), OL/DL Keegan Mires (Jr.), WR/DB Johnny Egan (Sr.), RB/LB Nelson Crisafulli (So.)

Laurel Key Players – QB Gage Hull (Jr.), WR/DB Deklan Harper (WR/DB); RB/DL BJ Hatcher (Sr.), WR/LB Logan Kennedy (Jr.), RB/LB Noah Gunther (Jr.), OL/DL Conner Berg (Jr.)

The new East division combining the East and Central conferences helped Glendive earn its first playoff berth in 21 years. Despite their 4-5 record, they are a group that has been competitive with some of the top teams in the East like Sidney and Laurel. They lost a decision to the Locomotives four weeks ago, 21-2. The Red Devlis are led by senior quarterback Cade Dockter and two-way lineman Jayden Holley. Laurel started the season 6-0 heading into a 1st place showdown with Sidney three weeks ago. Laurel lost that decision (21-12) and lost to rival Billings Central (9-0) last week to give them the #3 seed in the East. The Locomotives have a handful of good skill position players but the key cog in the group is quarterback Gage Hull. Glendive should keep it close but I see Laurel moving on to next week. Winner travels to Hamilton. Prediction: Laurel wins 28-12

7-2 Frenchtown (West Wildcard) at 5-4 Browning (#2 Northwest)

Frenchtown Key Players – QB/S Ty Hoppie (Sr.), OL/DL Jacob Caldwell (Sr.), RB Michael Edwards (Sr.), WR/DB Adam Botkin (Sr.), OL Jesse Mecham (Jr.), WR/DB Ethan Pyron (Jr.)

Browning Key Players – QB/LB Derek Loring (Sr.), OL/DL Brandon Aimsback (Sr.), RB/LB Dylan Loring (Sr.), WR/DB Brant Bremmer (Jr.), WR/DB James Gilham (Sr.), OL/DL Emmitt Augare (Sr.)

Browning might be the story of Class A this year. Even though they played in the least competitive conference in Class A in 2017 (Northwest Conference), they won the games they had to win and they did it convincingly, returning to the playoffs for the first time in 28 years. The Indians are led by dual-threat QB Derek Loring and OL/DL Brandon Aimsback, who was All-State in 2016. Browning will host the Frenchtown Broncs. After winning five games combined during the 2015 and 2016 seasons, Frenchtown put together a 7-2 record in 2017 with chances to play for the #1 and #2 seed out of the Southwest the final three weeks of the season. The Broncs fell to Dillon (32-15) and Hamilton (40-21) but definitely proved they are a team ready to compete in the Class A playoffs. The Broncs are led by two-way QB/S Ty Hoppie, who is the Broncs MVP in my opinion. Frenchtown beat Browning 42-16 their 4th game of the fall but that was at home. I have a feeling this game will be competitive because Browning is playing at home. Winner travels to Billings Central. Prediction: Frenchtown wins 41-29

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

IwasCatInNC
New Recruit

Re: 2017 Class A Playoffs (First Round)

Post by IwasCatInNC » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:20 am

Good God, I almost feel bad for Dillon. Get a win like that...and you're rewarded with a 500+ mile bus ride to Sidney?!?!? Gotta love Montana high school football!