2016 Class A Playoffs (Quarterfinals)

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

2016 Class A Playoffs (Quarterfinals)

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:33 am

Playoff Bracket: http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/docu ... cket-A.pdf

Top-side of Bracket

Hamilton at Belgrade - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 11/5

Hamilton Key Players: OL/DE Jaylen Taggart, QB Carson Rostad, OL/DT Brendon Brown, RB Manny Rivera, ATH Bridger Bauder, OL/DT Daniel Mousso, WR/DB Ty Chouinard, TE/MLB Nick Arnold

Belgrade Key Players: RB/LB Hayden Van Winkle, WR/DB Trey Mounts, ATH Jemal Williams, OL/MLB William Blewitt, WR/DB Easton Page, QB/FS Zach Spady, OL/DE Kyler Rogers, OL/DT Dalton Roscoe

The winner of this one plays the winner of Columbia Falls at Sidney. Belgrade comes in as the #1 seed out of Central A while Hamilton comes in off a 39-22 win over Butte Central in the first round. In that game, Butte Central got off to a hot start, leading 14-6 in the second quarter and driving into the Broncs redzone. However, Maroon RB Butte Central fumbled, the Broncs recovered, and turned it into 8 points. Hamilton didn't stop from there as they rattled off 33 unanswered on the Maroons en route to the win. Hamilton's freshman QB Carson Rostad threw for 240 yards and five touchdowns as WR Camron Rothie caught three of those tosses. RB/WR Bridger Bauder totaled 190 yards of offense (113 rushing/77 receiving) on the day as Hamilton put up 513 yards of offense. The Belgrade Panthers went 6-2 during the regular season with their best win coming over Laurel. That Laurel team still had a healthy Casey Cole at QB so the 29-20 win was solid. However, they lost to Billings Central (38-14) and Miles City (40-21) during the year so the Panthers have some inconsistencies. They have an explosive offense with QB Zach Spady, ATH Jemal Williams, RB Hayden Van Winkle, and WR's Trey Mounts & Easton Page. Mounts is one of the better defensive backs in the state while Van Winkle is one of the better running backs. Spady really settled in at QB later in the season and is playing his best football at the right time. Williams is a big hitter on defense from the safety spot while Blewitt is a rock at MLB. Like I said last week, Hamilton has perhaps the biggest, most physical line in Class A so they can play with anybody. Their freshman QB (Rostad) is also playing his best football at the right time. This will be a physical game and I predict it will come down to the wire. Prediction: Hamilton wins 37-34.

Columbia Falls at Sidney - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 11/5

Columbia Falls Key Players: QB Dakota Bridwell, WR/MLB Trevor Hoerner, WR/CB Sean Miller, WR/OLB Braxton Reiten, FB/DE Logan Kolodejchuck, TE/OLB Steven DeCamp, OL/DE Jared Reynolds, OG/DT Zak Kerlin, OT/DE Kade Johnstone, OT Zach Baker (missed senior season due to injury but may be coming back for playoffs)

Sidney Key Players: WR/FS Michael McGinnis, RB/LB Alec Lovegren, QB Dawson McGlothlin, OL/DT Brenley Steinbeisser, RB/LB Sawyor Thogersen, WB/DB Ian Aldrich, WR/DB Trace Jones

The winner of this one plays the winner of Hamilton at Belgrade. Sidney comes in as the #1 seed out of Eastern A while Columbia Falls comes in off a 55-14 win over Corvallis in the first round. The Wildcats broke records in their win over Corvallis. QB Dakota Bridwell threw a Class A playoff-record eight touchdowns, five of which went to WR Braxton Reiten (also a playoff record). Reiten has now caught 17 touchdowns on the season (he has several other touchdowns in the return game) which is a state Class A record. CF jumped out to a 48-7 halftime lead. The closest Corvallis ever got was after RB Liang Liedle scored on a 65-yard run to make the score 14-7 (Liedle also scored on an 80-yard run in the 4th quarter). Trevor Hoerner, Sean Miller, and Trey Gates also caught touchdowns from Bridwell. Sidney brings in a team that has steadily improved and kind of found out throughout their season that they are indeed a good football team. After beating Watford City and Williston (two North Dakota teams), the Eagles fell to Lewistown 14-7 in Week 3. After that loss, they rolled through the rest of their schedule on the way to their first Eastern A title in years. Over a four week span, they beat four playoff level teams in Havre (did not make playoffs), Miles City, Laurel, and Billings Central before finishing off with big wins against Glendive and Hardin. Sidney is led by the trio of QB Dawson McGlothlin, WR Michael McGinnis, and RB Alec Lovegren along with good role players in RB Sawyor Thogersen, WR Ian Aldrich, and WR Trace Jones. The Eagles also have an All-Conference OL/DL in Brenley Steinbeisser. They like to beat teams by running the ball and playing tough defense but they also throw in a few explosive plays every game on average. WR Michael McGinnis is a threat to score when touching the ball because of his speed and Alec Lovegren has been one of the toughest running backs to bring down in Class A this year. Sidney has a strong secondary but they will have their hands full with Columbia Falls' air-raid offense. In Columbia Falls' lone loss on the year, they beat themselves on offense and had way too many miscues on defense. If Sidney can control the ball on the ground, they have a shot. But if Columbia Falls gets up in this game and forces Sidney to air it out, this one could get ugly. Prediction: Columbia Falls wins 35-21.

Bottom-side of Bracket

Billings Central at Polson - 1:00 PM, Saturday, 11/5

Billings Central Key Players: WR/OLB Peyton Hanser, RB Ben Voss, TE Johnny Elliot, QB Jet Campbell, RB Evan Barthel, RB Brayden Huppert, FB/LB Noah Smelser, WR/DB Christian Dixon, OL/DE Wyatt Roe, WR/SS Shay Dantic, OG/DT Cade Overstreet, WR/FS Josh Kraft

Polson Key Players: QB/SS Tanner Wilson, TE/MLB Matthew Rensvold, OL/MLB Jonah Burke, TE/DE Haden Smith, WR/DB Cadis Chowning, RB/OLB Cameron Brown, WR/FS Walter Wood, OL/DL Kabe Forman-Webster, OL/DL Trevor Corley

The winner of this one plays the winner of Laurel at Dillon. Polson comes in as the #1 seed out of Northwestern A while Billings Central comes in off a 43-19 win over Miles City in the first round. The Rams had their hands full against the Cowboys last week. After taking a 23-6 lead early in the 3rd quarter, Billing Central looked to be well on their way to an easy win but Miles City fought back with a 56-yard touchdown pass from Gabe Gundlach to Caleb Petross. Next possession, Tristan Hirsch picked off Rams QB Jet Campbell for an 8-yard touchdown to cut the score to 23-19. But then the Rams ground revved back up with three straight rushing touchdowns from Noah Smelser, Jet Campbell, and Brayden Huppert. The RB trio of Evan Barthel, Noah Smelser, and Brayden Huppert combined for five touchdowns along with one from QB Jet Campbell on the night. Once that Rams rushing attack gets going, they are tough to stop because of their depth. As for the Polson Pirates, they are led by the All-State duo of QB/SS Tanner Wilson and TE/MLB Matthew Rensvold. Rensvold actually is more of a slotback as he lines up in multiple spots on offense but the result is usually the same: he catches passes from Wilson. Their lone loss on the season was a 38-6 loss to Dillon. Since that loss, Polson won five straight games to finish the season as the #1 seed out of Northwestern A including a huge win over Columbia Falls. Polson's offense averaged 40 points a game after that Dillon loss. My only concern with Polson is I don't think they are deep or multiple on offense meaning if a team shuts down Wilson, Polson will falter. A good example came in that Dillon loss. I also think a good rushing attack can run on them which is a concern since they are going up against Billings Central. On the flip side, Billings Central is susceptible to giving up the big play on defense, especially in the pass game. Other receivers have steadily stepped up throughout the season when Matt Rensvold is getting covered like WR Cadis Chowning's performance against Columbia Falls. I think Polson will struggle to stop Billings Central in this one. I also think Polson will struggle to get Matthew Rensvold going because I'm fairly certain the Rams are going to put OLB Peyton Hanser on him throughout the game and he matches up well with Rensvold (Dillon did this with Troy Andersen). Other Polson players will have to step up in this one just like the Columbia Falls game. Not that it should have a major impact but Billings Central is a very seasoned program in regards to performing in the playoffs. Prediction: Billings Central wins 31-27.

Laurel at Dillon - 12:00 PM, Saturday, 11/5

Laurel Key Players: QB/S Casey Cole (out for the year with an injury), QB Jackson Pollock, WR/CB Chanc Lawrence, RB Jared Craig, WR Trevor Heying, MLB Brendan LeClair, OLB TE/OLB Zane Jareck, RB Nick Verlanic

Dillon Key Players: QB/SS Troy Anndersen, RB/MLB R.J. Fitzgerald, OT/DE Eric James, OL/MLB Todd Nordahl, WR/DB Carson Hritsco, WR/DB Gabe Hupp, RB/OLB Tory Walker, OL/DT Cordell McGinley, RB/LB Graden Greenslade

The winner of this one plays the winner of Billings Central at Polson. Dillon comes in as the #1 seed out of Southwestern A while Laurel comes in off a 54-6 win over Lewistown in the first round. The Locomotives played arguably their best game of the season with Jared Craig totaling four touchdowns in the first half (three rushing/1 receiving). QB Jackson Pollock also tossed two touchdowns as he continues to fill-in effectively for Casey Cole. Lewistown couldn't get anything going as the injury to starting QB Mitchell Norslien proved too much to overcome. Dillon has one blemish on its record, losing to Columbia Falls 28-21. They have arguably the best athlete in Montana at QB in Troy Andersen and one of the best linebackers in the state in R.J. Fitzgerald. Their offensive line isn't huge by any means but they are extremely disciplined and every player is completely bought in to what they want to do: run the ball and stop the run. Dillon really doesn't do anything special. To me, they are the NDSU of Class A in that you know what you are going to get from them every week. Andersen is not the most prolific passer by any means but he is very dangerous on the grounds. If you can somehow contain Andersen, then you have to figure out how to slow down the trio of Fitzgerald, Tory Walker, and Graden Greenslade. Carson Hritsco and Gabe Hupp give Andersen two small but reliable targets to throw to on the outside. Laurel will have to play a perfect ballgame to win this one but I think this will be the weakest matchup of the quarterfinals. Prediction: Dillon wins 41-7.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: 2016 Class A Playoffs (Quarterfinals)

Post by kwcat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:06 pm

Go Sidney Eagles. Find a way to get er done.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Belgrade survives a comeback attempt by Hamilton in which the Broncs scored 3 4th quarter touchdowns to tie the game with just over a minute left. Belgrade went from their 35 down to the 12 and the freshman backup kicker, who had to check out equipment on Thursday cause he had already turned it in for the year, makes a game winning 29 yarder to send Belgrade on to face Columbia Falls next weekend with a 38-35 victory. Unfortunately the Panthers lost starting QB Spady for the year to an injury on the 2nd to last play of the first half, though he stayed in one more play and threw a great TD.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:26 pm

kmax wrote:Belgrade survives a comeback attempt by Hamilton in which the Broncs scored 3 4th quarter touchdowns to tie the game with just over a minute left. Belgrade went from their 35 down to the 12 and the freshman backup kicker, who had to check out equipment on Thursday cause he had already turned it in for the year, makes a game winning 29 yarder to send Belgrade on to face Columbia Falls next weekend with a 38-35 victory. Unfortunately the Panthers lost starting QB Spady for the year to an injury on the 2nd to last play of the first half, though he stayed in one more play and threw a great TD.

That game was insane.Some very weird plays and some very weird calls. Belgrade basically ran the wildcat the entire second half and still managed to move the ball somewhat. But a tough break losing their quarterback. Plus it looked like a lot of other kids were really banged up. Next weekend's going to be a tough one against C-Falls.

Shopkeeper
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Shopkeeper » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:49 pm

That game was no good for my blood pressure.

Losing 4 hurt and will hurt a great deal next week. Jamel is banged up and VW was completely exhausted.

I think three things contributed to Hamilton's comeback. I won't mention one, but the others were becoming one-dimensional with the loss of Spady; Jamel did the best I've seen him play this year at QB. Gritty kid with lots of heart. I respect officials; I was one. All I'll say is...well, that's enough, isn't it?

Hamilton is a fine football team with super-size athletes. The pounding they dealt Belgrade really took a toll in the 4th; Belgrade's D had no gas left to stop them. Had the game gone to OT, no question in my mind Hamilton would have a much happier bus ride home.

I told Hayden the seniors needed to buy that kicker a lunch a week for the remainder of the school year :) That was a phenomenal kick considering the circumstances.

Great, great football game.

Shopkeeper
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Shopkeeper » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:54 pm

VimSince03 wrote: Prediction: Hamilton wins 37-34.[/i]
Oh...And, well done on the score. I'm impressed :shock:

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Shopkeeper wrote:I respect officials; I was one. All I'll say is...well, that's enough, isn't it?
I was seriously concerned about the health of a couple of those guys-especially if they would have had to ref overtime. I don't think they would have made it.

Shopkeeper
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Shopkeeper » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:47 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Shopkeeper wrote:I respect officials; I was one. All I'll say is...well, that's enough, isn't it?
I was seriously concerned about the health of a couple of those guys-especially if they would have had to ref overtime. I don't think they would have made it.
Amen...2 in particular should be the objects of an intervention. And, that's no joke.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:20 pm

Shopkeeper wrote: Hamilton is a fine football team with super-size athletes. The pounding they dealt Belgrade really took a toll in the 4th; Belgrade's D had no gas left to stop them. Had the game gone to OT, no question in my mind Hamilton would have a much happier bus ride home.
I won't comment on the refs...

However this is spot on about Hamilton. Couldn't believe their size on the line especially and with the number of guys Belgrade has going both ways they were just exhausted and you could tell. Hats off to the Broncs, no give up in them and really impressed me.

Panthers have a tough road to go the rest of the way as you said without much of a passing attack. Hope they can come together and pull it out.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Shopkeeper wrote:
VimSince03 wrote: Prediction: Hamilton wins 37-34.[/i]
Oh...And, well done on the score. I'm impressed :shock:
Flip it around!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:15 pm

Wow, some great games this weekend. Belgrade over Hamilton and Billings Central over Polson were well worth the price of admission. Hopefully Belgrade isn't too banged up to play well against Columbia Falls. With C. Falls firepower an opponent better be ready with everything they've got.

A Billings Central vs. Dillon rematch has essentially become an annual tradition. These two always face each other early in the season for a non-conference game. Now for almost a decade, just like clockwork, these two meet again in the playoffs. It has developed into a wonderful rivalry. This Friday if you're anywhere near Billings this would be the High School game to catch. Regardless of classification this may be the top game in the state this week. FYI: Dillon won the first meeting 20 to 16. It is a safe bet round two will also have a close outcome in another hard hitting game.