Road Trip!

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: kmax, Bay Area Cat, rtb

Road Trip!

Postby kennethnoisewater on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:18 pm

I was reading the Big Sky Preps blog and noticed that 5 teams had to travel at least 500 miles to play their quarterfinal games this weekend:
Miles City -> Polson: 556 Miles
Plentywood -> Missoula Loyola: 585 Miles
Ronan -> Baker: 621 Miles
Hot Springs -> Savage: 669 Miles
Charlo -> Fairview: 679 Miles :shock:

Gotta love this state! And these kids from the smaller schools will no doubt be taking a regular old school bus! I'd need a week to recover from a trip like that!
Image
User avatar
kennethnoisewater
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT


Re: Road Trip!

Postby CPACAT on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:05 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:I was reading the Big Sky Preps blog and noticed that 5 teams had to travel at least 500 miles to play their quarterfinal games this weekend:
Miles City -> Polson: 556 Miles
Plentywood -> Missoula Loyola: 585 Miles
Ronan -> Baker: 621 Miles
Hot Springs -> Savage: 669 Miles
Charlo -> Fairview: 679 Miles :shock:

Gotta love this state! And these kids from the smaller schools will no doubt be taking a regular old school bus! I'd need a week to recover from a trip like that!



I thought Great Falls to Baker was a long trip. Ronan to there is crazy. I can drive from Great Falls to Denver than they can drive from Ronan to Baker.
IYAACYAS
CPACAT
Member # Retired
Member # Retired
 
Posts: 2140
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:55 pm
Location: Great Falls

Re: Road Trip!

Postby geogfather on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:24 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:I was reading the Big Sky Preps blog and noticed that 5 teams had to travel at least 500 miles to play their quarterfinal games this weekend:
Miles City -> Polson: 556 Miles
Plentywood -> Missoula Loyola: 585 Miles
Ronan -> Baker: 621 Miles
Hot Springs -> Savage: 669 Miles
Charlo -> Fairview: 679 Miles :shock:

Gotta love this state! And these kids from the smaller schools will no doubt be taking a regular old school bus! I'd need a week to recover from a trip like that!


If things were to fall in to place in class B, Ronan's playoff journey would look like this:

Ronan to Big Timber: 318 Miles
Ronan to Baker: 621 Miles
Ronan to Malta: 398 Miles
Ronan to PW: 636 Miles

The way the bracket is set up this year it is impossible for them to host a playoff game. Too Bad as their overall facilities have to be one of the best HS ones in the entire state.

Pretty brutal road trips. In looking at the bracket and this years class B results, The biggest long shot there is Ronan actually winning the first three games. I don't think the others are that big of a stretch given the parity in the bracket.

Ronan is leaving on Thursday morning. They wont be in a yellow school bus though as there is a district owned coach bus that will be far more comfortable.
geogfather
BobcatNation Letterman
BobcatNation Letterman
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:16 pm

Re: Road Trip!

Postby kennethnoisewater on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:22 pm

geogfather wrote:If things were to fall in to place in class B, Ronan's playoff journey would look like this:

Ronan to Big Timber: 318 Miles
Ronan to Baker: 621 Miles
Ronan to Malta: 398 Miles
Ronan to PW: 636 Miles
The way the bracket is set up this year it is impossible for them to host a playoff game. Too Bad as their overall facilities have to be one of the best HS ones in the entire state.

It is too bad they can't host. But hey, maybe the West will surprise some people again this year and they'll have to go to Bigfork and Missoula for the last two. Yeah, that's a stretch on a lot of levels.

On a related note, I saw recently that if you're in far Southeastern Montana, you're closer to Texas than you are to far Northwestern Montana.
Image
User avatar
kennethnoisewater
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Road Trip!

Postby ChiOCat on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:39 pm

5 or 6 years ago Eureka played in Baker, it was a long haul for the team. I don't know that you can go much farther and still be in state! Maybe Troy to Brodus?

Luckily we lived in Sidney so it was a short trip to watch them. My dads cousin drove from Nebraska and had less of a drive!
"We are all vulnerable, and all fallible, with mortality our only certainty..." - Dr Kenneth Bock
ChiOCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:25 pm
Location: Down Under

Re: Road Trip!

Postby WolfPtCat on Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:14 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:.

On a related note, I saw recently that if you're in far Southeastern Montana, you're closer to Texas than you are to far Northwestern Montana.



I have a map of the western US on my office wall. I pulled out the string (computer cable)to check.....sure doesn't look like it to the naked eye...but, sure as shyte, as the crow flies.....TX is closer to the SE corner of MT than the NW corner of MT is!
WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Letterman
BobcatNation Letterman
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:28 pm
Location: Casper, WY & Denver, CO

Re: Road Trip!

Postby ChiOCat on Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:16 pm

WolfPtCat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:.

On a related note, I saw recently that if you're in far Southeastern Montana, you're closer to Texas than you are to far Northwestern Montana.



I have a map of the western US on my office wall. I pulled out the string (computer cable)to check.....sure doesn't look like it to the naked eye...but, sure as shyte, as the crow flies.....TX is closer to the SE corner of MT than the NW corner of MT is!

That's crazy!
"We are all vulnerable, and all fallible, with mortality our only certainty..." - Dr Kenneth Bock
ChiOCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
BobcatNation Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:25 pm
Location: Down Under

Re: Road Trip!

Postby kennethnoisewater on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Go to google maps and get the directions from Alzada, MT to Kerrick, TX, then look up directions from Alzada to Yaak School (in Troy). It's almost 100 miles further to Yaak.
Image
User avatar
kennethnoisewater
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Road Trip!

Postby rtb on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:31 pm

According to this site:
http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm

You guys are WRONG!! :D 599 miles from Alzada, MT to Kerrick Texas and ONLY 593.6 miles from Alzada to Yaak. :shock:

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

User avatar
rtb
Moderator
 
Posts: 7788
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:15 pm
Location: Bend, OR

Re: Road Trip!

Postby kennethnoisewater on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:52 pm

rtb wrote:According to this site:
http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm

You guys are WRONG!! :D 599 miles from Alzada, MT to Kerrick Texas and ONLY 593.6 miles from Alzada to Yaak. :shock:

Well you ruin the fun if you do it as the crow flies! It's 759 miles to the Yaak if you're driving. But I heard Southwest has great rates from Alzada to both the Yaak and Kerrick. :wink:
Image
User avatar
kennethnoisewater
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
2nd Team All-BobcatNation
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Road Trip!

Postby HiLineCat on Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Well it should be easy for someone from Alzada to get to Frisco Texas for the Championship game.
HiLineCat
BobcatNation Letterman
BobcatNation Letterman
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:31 pm
Location: The HiLine

Re: Road Trip!

Postby RickRund on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:12 am

rtb wrote:According to this site:
http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm

You guys are WRONG!! :D 599 miles from Alzada, MT to Kerrick Texas and ONLY 593.6 miles from Alzada to Yaak. :shock:


But which side of town are you starting your trip. If I start from the east or west side of our town it could add at least 1 mile to the trip..... #-o #-o #-o
User avatar
RickRund
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation
 
Posts: 802
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:08 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Road Trip!

Postby Billings_Griz on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:33 am

WolfPtCat wrote:
kennethnoisewater wrote:.

On a related note, I saw recently that if you're in far Southeastern Montana, you're closer to Texas than you are to far Northwestern Montana.



I have a map of the western US on my office wall. I pulled out the string (computer cable)to check.....sure doesn't look like it to the naked eye...but, sure as shyte, as the crow flies.....TX is closer to the SE corner of MT than the NW corner of MT is!


That is f'ing crazy. FWIW, I grabbed a cord and checked too. Business partners couldn't believe it. (nor could I)
User avatar
Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat-National
Golden Bobcat-National
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Flatlands


Return to High School Athletics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest