State Championships

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Whisky_Ditch
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: State Championships

Post by Whisky_Ditch » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:53 am

The Highwayman wrote:I like the way it is, it is a reward to be the higher seed through a better season to host the chipper. A much better atmosphere than at high school field overflowing with spectators than msu or um stadiums half full maybe.
I think I disagree, especially for the smaller classes. Coaches may prefer the home field advantage, but to play in front of at least 10k in Bobcat or Griz Stadium, with the scoreboard and all of that, would be amazing. And with all classes there too, you could see 10k at a Class C game, could be pretty damn cool. Still get home field advantage all the way to the chipper....let's do it!

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

TboneCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by TboneCat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:18 am

Whisky_Ditch wrote:
The Highwayman wrote:I like the way it is, it is a reward to be the higher seed through a better season to host the chipper. A much better atmosphere than at high school field overflowing with spectators than msu or um stadiums half full maybe.
I think I disagree, especially for the smaller classes. Coaches may prefer the home field advantage, but to play in front of at least 10k in Bobcat or Griz Stadium, with the scoreboard and all of that, would be amazing. And with all classes there too, you could see 10k at a Class C game, could be pretty damn cool. Still get home field advantage all the way to the chipper....let's do it!
The problem with having the class C championships at either Bobcat Stadium or Washington-Grizzly is that they play on a smaller 80 yard field, that is also not as wide as what AA, A and B play on.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:38 pm

TboneCat wrote:
Whisky_Ditch wrote:
The problem with having the class C championships at either Bobcat Stadium or Washington-Grizzly is that they play on a smaller 80 yard field, that is also not as wide as what AA, A and B play on.
That's not really a huge problem. St. Leo's used to play on Fergus's field back in the day. They just put in tempory chalk sidelines that were closer (could probably use a colored ribbon that was tacked down of some sort on the turf) and then they moved the ball closer the endzone on each change of possession. The only time it would come into play is if somebody had a kick return or INT return, and then they'd either have an extra 20 yards to get caught or they could just deem it to be a TD when they hit the 20.

So it might take a little getting used to, but it's definitely feasible.

The Highwayman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by The Highwayman » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Say there was ever a title game in AA with two billings schools playing the game in Missoula? Or Miles City vs Billings Central in Missoula? Montana is too big for it to make since to play in bozeman or missoula unless both teams were from the western side of the state or no further east than billings. I would rather see a stadium jam packed with 3500 then 3500 in 23,000 seat stadium.

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:38 pm

The Highwayman wrote:Say there was ever a title game in AA with two billings schools playing the game in Missoula? Or Miles City vs Billings Central in Missoula? Montana is too big for it to make since to play in bozeman or missoula unless both teams were from the western side of the state or no further east than billings. I would rather see a stadium jam packed with 3500 then 3500 in 23,000 seat stadium.
You've got to remember that people/fans that typically don't watch a particular team from areas around the state will also be in attendance.

Plus, this is a great venue for college scouts to seek out the standout athletes.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

Billings Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Billings Cat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Heck if we could at least get all (or even some) of the State Championship football games televised each year that would be an improvement. And that goes for basketball too!

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:43 pm

It would be a huge economic benefit to the new host city (Bozeman or Missoula) and a huge economic loss for the town that would have hosted the game under the current system.

So for that reason alone (although there are others), it seems like it would be an incredibly hard sell ... especially since Bozeman and Missoula's economies already benefit quite a bit on the backs of the rest of the state.