CatRecruitDidn'tDoSoGood

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HassFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

CatRecruitDidn'tDoSoGood

Post by HassFan » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:36 pm

In last night's game between Billings Skyview and Billings West. In fact, I think a freshman from West looked the better player over Skyview's Little. It may have been that West's defense was that much better, but it seems a 6'7" DI recruit should put up more than 5 points against a team with maybe one 6'4" kid on the floor at a time. Work in progress ??

Fighting Cancer With Every Breath I Take - Conner, You Are An Inspiration !

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: CatRecruitDidn'tDoSoGood

Post by BobCatFan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:44 am

I could be wrong, but Skyview has two brothers on the team. The older brother blew is knew out and is out for the season. His brother is a Sophomore and looks darn good. Image both of them playing. I think this is who you are talking about.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:15 pm

HassFan wrote:In last night's game between Billings Skyview and Billings West. In fact, I think a freshman from West looked the better player over Skyview's Little. It may have been that West's defense was that much better, but it seems a 6'7" DI recruit should put up more than 5 points against a team with maybe one 6'4" kid on the floor at a time. Work in progress ??
I assume you were there...I'm wondering (in your opinion) if he's lacking talent or if he was taken out of the game by the West defense and/or his own guard play.

Was it a situation of Little not being active enough in the post?
Did he miss a lot of easy shots?
How many rebounds did he have?
How did he do defensively?
Was he in foul trouble?
Was West really packing a zone in on him?
Were the Skyview guards able to make outside shots and loosen up the inside defense?
Did the Skyview guards turn it over a bit?

I believe Little is only a junior, so he's obviously going to have off nights offensively...sometimes it will be his fault, sometimes it will be because of poor guard play. The one thing a big guy can always control is effort. If he was patrolling the paint defensively and gobbling up rebounds and making effort plays, to me that's what's important for a young kid.

Speaking of big time players...the younger Muller kid has the potential to be VERY good…the elder is obviously very good as well (leading AA in scoring). Also, I watched Bozeman and Helena Capital play this year, and I thought the Roderick kid looked VERY good for a junior.

Hopefully he's able to get back on track...

rbm
New Recruit

Post by rbm » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Capital and Bozeman didn't play this past year....maybe you were thinking HHS

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:28 pm

West is very good, for the record. A solid team effort can trump a good player during any given game.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:10 am

rbm wrote:Capital and Bozeman didn't play this past year....maybe you were thinking HHS
I'm pretty sure I saw the game in Helena. Bozeman won after being down much of the first half. Worst refereed game I've seen in a long time...lots of phantom calls by Jim Paulson.

whitetrashgriz
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by whitetrashgriz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:28 am

rbm wrote:Capital and Bozeman didn't play this past year....maybe you were thinking HHS
he said THIS year, and they did play eachother. actually, i don't recall a year when they didn't play eachother twice just like every other year. this season they played right before christmas, and again a few weeks ago.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobCatFan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:18 pm

wbtfg wrote:
HassFan wrote:In last night's game between Billings Skyview and Billings West. In fact, I think a freshman from West looked the better player over Skyview's Little. It may have been that West's defense was that much better, but it seems a 6'7" DI recruit should put up more than 5 points against a team with maybe one 6'4" kid on the floor at a time. Work in progress ??
I assume you were there...I'm wondering (in your opinion) if he's lacking talent or if he was taken out of the game by the West defense and/or his own guard play.

Was it a situation of Little not being active enough in the post?
Did he miss a lot of easy shots?
How many rebounds did he have?
How did he do defensively?
Was he in foul trouble?
Was West really packing a zone in on him?
Were the Skyview guards able to make outside shots and loosen up the inside defense?
Did the Skyview guards turn it over a bit?

I believe Little is only a junior, so he's obviously going to have off nights offensively...sometimes it will be his fault, sometimes it will be because of poor guard play. The one thing a big guy can always control is effort. If he was patrolling the paint defensively and gobbling up rebounds and making effort plays, to me that's what's important for a young kid.

Speaking of big time players...the younger Muller kid has the potential to be VERY good…the elder is obviously very good as well (leading AA in scoring). Also, I watched Bozeman and Helena Capital play this year, and I thought the Roderick kid looked VERY good for a junior.

I have not been to any games this year. Just to busy. The coach and two Skyview players were at one of my Kiwanis meetings about a month. One of the kids ( which I believe is the older brother) said he will be having surgery soon on his knee. He said he blew other knee a year ago and that knee is now strong than it was before.

HassFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by HassFan » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:13 am

BobCatFan wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Was it a situation of Little not being active enough in the post? - Could have been more active
Did he miss a lot of easy shots? 2 for 6 from field 1 for 2 FT - most FG were from the paint.
How many rebounds did he have? 2 offensive and 9 defensive
How did he do defensively? West was moving the ball around too fast and their guys were canning from outside and finding lanes to pass through. The ball movement really took the game over in the second half.
Was he in foul trouble? - no foul trouble
Was West really packing a zone in on him? - Yes - fronted him well, with backside help&guards couldn't get the ball to him.
Were the Skyview guards able to make outside shots and loosen up the inside defense? - one of the kids was hitting 3's, but didn't really loosen the inside up.
Did the Skyview guards turn it over a bit? 19 turnovers as a team, 5 by Little.

Skyview has a great website with a link to MaxPrep Sports - http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/h7 ... l/home.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have not been to any games this year. Just to busy. The coach and two Skyview players were at one of my Kiwanis meetings about a month. One of the kids ( which I believe is the older brother) said he will be having surgery soon on his knee. He said he blew other knee a year ago and that knee is now strong than it was before.
And yes, I didn't realize he is a junior - and if he has a bum knee, that could slow him down. When he dunks, it seems like he doesn't go up as strong as he could, so that well could be it. I see his brother 6'1" listed on the sophomore roster, but it was definitely Danny in the game.

Fighting Cancer With Every Breath I Take - Conner, You Are An Inspiration !