Playoff Time!!!

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Playoff Time!!!

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:17 pm

Someone just posted on another blog that 5 of Centerville's starters got MIP/DUI's this week? Couldn't wait another 2 weeks to party? WTF??

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 am

That might hurt come recruiting time. #-o

Sports is not bigger than life

redspartancat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by redspartancat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:32 pm

I haven't heard the whole story on centerville, but if they can get by one more weekend, they should all be back for the championship game (2 week suspension).

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:46 pm

I have heard DUI and MIP's. School rule is 2 week suspension so since it happened on a thursday night, the would be back one day before the championship. It will be interesting to see what could happen. If you are suspended usually you cannot practice either so they would get one day of practice. I would have a hard time as a coach playing them. I know kids are out partying in other places and just did not get caught, but to me, especially at playoff time it shows a lack of respect for the coach and rest of the team. Not much commitment and so I would play the guys that got me there in the prior two games.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:03 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:Someone just posted on another blog that 5 of Centerville's starters got MIP/DUI's this week? Couldn't wait another 2 weeks to party? WTF??

Damn, times have changed. When I was in HS, you booze, you're done. No coming back. And if my kids get MIP/DUI's, they'd rather be in jail anyway.

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:02 pm

Billings_Griz wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:Someone just posted on another blog that 5 of Centerville's starters got MIP/DUI's this week? Couldn't wait another 2 weeks to party? WTF??

Damn, times have changed. When I was in HS, you booze, you're done. No coming back. And if my kids get MIP/DUI's, they'd rather be in jail anyway.
yep, now it's win, win, win at any cost. i've only been out of highschool for 10 years but i know for a fact that even then if you got in trouble you were done! well, at least for most sports. but now, even in montana highschool football, the pressure for these coaches to win is far greater than it used to be. hell, i've even witnessed people calling for the head coach of a middle school basketball team to get fired after they lost a few games in a row! i'm not claiming to know anything about centerville, in fact, i wouldn't be able to find it on the map. but if that coach faces the same pressures from his community as most coaches, i wouldn't at all be surprised if these kids are playing if they make the championship...even if it's not the "right" thing to do.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:13 pm

a lot of 'honor codes' that were commonplace for hs athletic programs have now become toothless from parental law suits....ie the rules shouldn't apply to my kid because they like to play

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 am

catamaran wrote:a lot of 'honor codes' that were commonplace for hs athletic programs have now become toothless from parental law suits....ie the rules shouldn't apply to my kid because they like to play

Exactly. Piss-pour parenting.

Disclaimer: My kids are far from perfect, however, I do remind them quite often that they will be responsible for whatever "wrong" actions they do. So far, so good. [-o<

redspartancat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by redspartancat » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:14 pm

training rules are rarely set by the coaches, so it is not due to the pressure to win, it is simply the philosophy of the school board and the administration. Once the kids have served the punishment handed down by the school, there is no reason the coach should not play them.

Old Skool Cat

Post by Old Skool Cat » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:22 pm

If my kids ever pulled any of this crap, they wouldn't have to worry about the school kicking them off the team. I'd jerk them out of that sport so fast, it would make their head spin.

Man, I just sounded alot like my old man right there.

whitetrashgriz

Post by whitetrashgriz » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:57 pm

redspartancat wrote:training rules are rarely set by the coaches, so it is not due to the pressure to win, it is simply the philosophy of the school board and the administration. Once the kids have served the punishment handed down by the school, there is no reason the coach should not play them.
i respectfully disagree. many times the rules set forth are just guidelines for the coaches to follow. where i played basketball in high school, the head coach started enforcing his punishments on you in middle school! if he knew you were going to be a future player, and you got busted at a party in 8th grade, you had to meet with him, and follow his rules over the summer in preparation for the next season. also, coaches can always go above and beyond the cosequences in the training rules if they feel they don't fit the penalty. just because the rules say you will be suspended for two weeks, doesn't mean the coach could kick you off the team. i couldn't even tell you our training rules because it was just known that if you got caught drinking, or doing anything against the law...you were done. the idea that these kids who didn't give a ****** about their team mates or coaches would be allowed to play again after making them all pick up their slack is ridiculous. which is why i said that if i was the coach, they'd be done. see ya. it's how it goes. we're a team. if you don't care about the team, you're off the team. however, making decisions like this are no longer popular, because often times the ethical decisions end up costing teams wins. and in todays sports, even in highschool and unfortunately middle school, to some people winning is everything. parents think that if their kid is a superstar, they don't have to follow the same set of rules. i'm just very fortunate that i went to high school where the bs politics didn't play a factor. at least not with my coaches.

do you have to know everything to post here? or just think you do?

redspartancat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by redspartancat » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:24 pm

It's hard to say what the right thing to do is in this situation until we actually get the facts. All I'm saying is that there are times to be as strict as possible, but there are also times where giving a kid a second chance can really pay off. In most cases, participating in sports is good for kids, especially those that tend to find trouble, so sometimes it's necessary to do what you can to keep them involved.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:19 pm

redspartancat wrote:It's hard to say what the right thing to do is in this situation until we actually get the facts. All I'm saying is that there are times to be as strict as possible, but there are also times where giving a kid a second chance can really pay off. In most cases, participating in sports is good for kids, especially those that tend to find trouble, so sometimes it's necessary to do what you can to keep them involved.
I used to be on the side of "done for the season" but after spending 6 years on the school board I've changed my tune. Two weeks for a first offense is an appropriate punishment. A repeat offender should be done for the balance of the school year.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:51 pm

I would agree that the 2 week is appropriate for a first offense. But as a coach, I would still have concerns that you come right back in and play. If this happened the 2nd week of the season and you could make the kids practice again for a couple of weeks after they are eligible and earn their spot back, great they may play later, but in the middle of the playoffs, when they really let their team down, I would not play them after 1 or 2 practices. They might dress and get a little special teams or occasion reps, but I would reward the kids that did the right things and got me there over the previous couple of weeks.

The biggest problem I have with the done for the season thing, is what if they get kicked off on Thursday and that team loses on Sat. It basically is a 2 day suspension, then they start a new sport and wow, they are eligible again. With most 2 week deals I have seen, it carries over into the new sport if the kid goes out. Much more fair. I do think it should be first time 2 weeks, second time, the year, third time, no more sports for rest of high school.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:01 pm

Billings_Griz wrote: My predictions:

A-Blgs Central
B-Huntley
C (8-man)- WeBox
C (6-man)- No idea.

Oh, Capital over CMR, FYI. :wink:

=D^ =D^ =D^

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Billings_Griz wrote:

A-Blgs Central
B-Huntley
C (8-man)- WeBox
C (6-man)- No idea.

=D^ =D^ =D^
6-man will be Denton over Winifred-Roy.

Billings_Griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by Billings_Griz » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:47 am

longhorn_22 wrote:
Billings_Griz wrote:

A-Blgs Central
B-Huntley
C (8-man)- WeBox
C (6-man)- No idea.

=D^ =D^ =D^
6-man will be Denton over Winifred-Roy.
Central might have a tough one, they're not blowing anybody out. Huntley should roll. Hoping I'm wrong picking Wibaux--go Drummond. Gotta go w/ Capital but hoping CMR wins.