Bozeman High Quarterback

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

coppercat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Bozeman High Quarterback

Post by coppercat » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:46 pm

I got a load of football this weekend including the Bozeman-Butte High game Friday night and the griz-PSU game Sat. For those of you who might know...is the Bozeman Hi QB the real deal? He looked like it vs. Butte, both passing and running.
Re: the griz...as you know PSU came out strong. The short story---you make a mistake against the griz and you are going to pay! PSU had it going, made a couple of mistakes and it was lights out!

Platinumcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Bozeman High Quarterback

Post by Platinumcat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Hmmm, missed this thread somehow.

To answer the question posed, Tanner Roderick (son of former Bobcat Steve Roderick) is definitely the real deal. He's about 6'2", has above average top end speed, good quickness (makes people miss a lot), very good arm strength and is pin point with his passes.

Earlier in the season he was pressing a bit with the way he ran and the throws he was making a couple of times that resulted in int's. But, he has really settled in and you can tell the game is starting to slow down for him.

Tremendously fun to watch!

Oh, and I'm Jason Wiers, Platinum Property Management

longhorn_22
Golden Bobcat

Post by longhorn_22 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:34 pm

What caliber of player is he? Pac-10? BIg sky? NAIA?

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:47 pm

longhorn_22 wrote:What caliber of player is he? Pac-10? BIg sky? NAIA?
AA :wink:

IYAACYAS

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:47 pm

I think he's only a Jr. but could see him being a Big Sky level player.

Anyone know if Owsley the 6'8" wideout prefers B-ball or football? He would be a great addition to the Cats WR corps.

There are also 2 more "Dogs" on this years team :D

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Billings Cat

Post by Billings Cat » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:05 pm

Roderick looks like a player to me, and if he's just a junior then he has some real potential even if it's not at quarterback at the next level. Recruiting high school quarterbacks as athletes can be pretty successful sometimes. As for Owsley as a wide receiver (or as basketball player) in the Big Sky? Either way, NO WAY! NAIA (in basketball only) more likely which is still pretty darn good.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Billings Cat wrote:Roderick looks like a player to me, and if he's just a junior then he has some real potential even if it's not at quarterback at the next level. Recruiting high school quarterbacks as athletes can be pretty successful sometimes. As for Owsley as a wide receiver (or as basketball player) in the Big Sky? Either way, NO WAY! NAIA (in basketball only) more likely which is still pretty darn good.

I haven't seen him Owsley in person but why NAIA? Is he slow? Bad Hands?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Billings Cat

Post by Billings Cat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:24 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Billings Cat wrote:Roderick looks like a player to me, and if he's just a junior then he has some real potential even if it's not at quarterback at the next level. Recruiting high school quarterbacks as athletes can be pretty successful sometimes. As for Owsley as a wide receiver (or as basketball player) in the Big Sky? Either way, NO WAY! NAIA (in basketball only) more likely which is still pretty darn good.

I haven't seen him Owsley in person but why NAIA? Is he slow? Bad Hands?
In a word, athleticism. Is he athletic for a 6'8" high school player in Montana? Yes. Is he athletic for a Big Sky Conference level wide receiver in football or SG/SF in basketball? No. Again, I think he could be a decent basketball player in the Frontier Conference, but even that's not a given for anyone since they play a pretty good brand of basketball that people shouldn't dismiss outright.

Platinumcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Platinumcat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Roderick: I think Tanner's potential is dependent on how he progresses these next two seasons. I see him as definitely BSC material with the possibility of FBS.

Owsley: This is his first year playing football since 8th grade. He's got raw talent. I definitely see him being bound for college in basketball rather then football. But, you never know, sometimes coaches like these project kids to try and develop. His height (6'8") would certainly be an advantage if he could develop quickness, better hands, overall football skills.

Oh, and I'm Jason Wiers, Platinum Property Management

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:55 pm

You'd think at that height he might be worth an in-state schollie just for goal line and short yardage situations alone (should win the jump ball every time).

griztasteslikechicken
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by griztasteslikechicken » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:21 pm

Bozeman has put up some impressive numbers this season on offense. Big problem is their defense gives up almost as many as their offense generates. Bozeman got the luck of the draw this season as they don't have to play the #1 (Capital), #2 (CMR) or #3 (Sentinal) teams this season. Could easily be 3 more losses for the Hawks and out of the playoff picture if they had to play those teams. Playoffs are just around the corner....should be fun.