Matt Miller Article

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Matt Miller Article

Post by wbtfg » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 am

http://www.helenair.com/sports/football ... 002e0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Matt Miller Article

Post by canyoncat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 am

Very good article on a very good kid. Wish he would be a Cat, but seriously doubt it. I was surprised that within the article it was mentioned that the Cats and griz are mainly recruiting him for basketball, unless they are going to try and let him do both sports which it sounds like is what he wants. Might try and make the game on Friday night and a few more this season for Capital High (class of 89). Not very often we see an athlete of his calibure come through Helena. Been some good ones, but not sure if there has been any like him, at least since Pat Donavon.

Holy smokes that's 1000 posts, I need a life :oops:

GO CATS!!!

RMD
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by RMD » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:51 am

canyoncat, you just need to get a job were you actually have to work :lol: Wasn't Jeff Tuss highly recruited out of high school?

canyoncat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by canyoncat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:38 am

RMD wrote:canyoncat, you just need to get a job were you actually have to work :lol: Wasn't Jeff Tuss highly recruited out of high school?
Tuss did accept a scholarship to play at Washington State, but elected to play baseball (pitcher) for the Expos instead. After that didn't work out as most of know he came to Bozeman. If he would have concentrated on football right out of high school he would have been a good one. I am just not sure he was creating the buzz that Miller is or Carrothers did.

GO CATS!!!

RMD
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by RMD » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:25 pm

canyoncat wrote:
RMD wrote:canyoncat, you just need to get a job were you actually have to work :lol: Wasn't Jeff Tuss highly recruited out of high school?
Tuss did accept a scholarship to play at Washington State, but elected to play baseball (pitcher) for the Expos instead. After that didn't work out as most of know he came to Bozeman. If he would have concentrated on football right out of high school he would have been a good one. I am just not sure he was creating the buzz that Miller is or Carrothers did.
it was actually Washington that offered him the scholly!!!

tetoncat
Member # Retired

Post by tetoncat » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:45 pm

Who will be the Capital QB this year? Was Reyant pretty good last year or did he really benefit from having Miller to throw to.

Sports is not bigger than life

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:40 pm

RMD wrote:
canyoncat wrote:
it was actually Washington that offered him the scholly!!!
He went to Fresno State after baseball didn't work out, then came here. Whitey Herzog worked a trade for him when he was the Angels GM. He sent Lee Stevens to the Expos for Tuss. I think Tuss got as high as AA, but don't quote me on that. He was, IMO, a better pitcher than quarterback. (I just happened to be at Lee Stevens' debut game with the Angels back in '90(?) and he got two hits).

Miller has created more buzz than any athlete I can remember coming out of Helena. I didn't live here when Pat Donovan played back in 69-70(?). I was hoping the article would have some comments from scouts. He's listed as a 3-star player, but it'd be interesting to hear why he isn't rated higher, etc. They list his 40 time as 4.5, but I don't know if that is electronically timed. I would guess not and that may be the reason he's not listed higher. But who knows?

I think he had 3 carries for 120 yards last night and a couple TDs. As most of you probably know the CHS offense involves a lot of players, so Miller isn't going to get the ball in his hands too often. I'm sure if they wanted to feed him the ball a lot he could put up a couple hundreds yards total offense (rush/rec) every night with ease.

Obviously it'd be great to have him come here and play both sports, which is what he wants to do. Hell, he's good enough to play both ways in football and also play hoops. Capital has several other good players. One is Trey Sperlin, who is only a junior and is spliting QB duties, but he could play several positions.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Matt Miller's rushing stats after 2 games

6 carries/170 yards/4 TD's/28 ypc :shock:

Also has >100 receiving yards and a punt return for a touchdown.

rbm
New Recruit

Post by rbm » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:07 pm

2 games is a little misleading...In listening to the games, Miller has been out early in the 3rd Quarter in both. This is more like 1 game.

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:11 pm

wbtfg wrote:Matt Miller's rushing stats after 2 games

6 carries/170 yards/4 TD's/28 ypc :shock:

Also has >100 receiving yards and a punt return for a touchdown.
how does he have two games in.........tonight is only the second week of the season

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:15 pm

Capital played Flathead last night (Thu).

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:16 pm

HelenaCat95 wrote:Capital played Flathead last night (Thu).
roger

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:50 pm

According to the Gazette, these are Miller's stats through four games this year:

14 carries for 238 yards (17 average) 6 TDs
18 catches for 291 yards (16.2 average) 2 TDs

He also had one pass for 8 yards again Great Falls.

rbm
New Recruit

Post by rbm » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:33 pm

4 games for Miller is about 9 quarters...He is usually out after half.

BobCatFan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobCatFan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:39 pm

I got a chance to see Matt Miller play last weekend here in Billings. He is man among boys. The one play that real impressed me was his long td run. He just ran by the defense. nobody could catch him. 6'4" guys are not suppose to be this graceful. If we have a chance to get him, I would be trying as hard as I can get him come to MSU. He would be a great football/basketball recruit.

griztasteslikechicken
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by griztasteslikechicken » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:17 pm

I hear his three campus visits will be Arkansas (Petrino connection), Oregon and Stanford. All great schools. He is a great player with tremendous speed.

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:24 pm

He has more visits than that..............

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

griztasteslikechicken
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by griztasteslikechicken » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:49 pm

You're only allowed "5" official visits so he may have more visits....but only five paid for by the universities he's visiting.
NCAA rules allow indefinate number of on campus visits at the athletes own expense but only 5 paid for visits.