Capital High

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Capital High

Post by John K » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:32 am

I went to the CMR-Capital game last Friday, and I have to say that it was sort of shocking to see how bad Capital is this season. They've been so dominant for so many years, that it was hard to wrap my head around what I saw from them that night. They've already lost to Flathead, which was picked to finish 13th out of the 14 AA teams. CMR beat them 23-0, but it wasn't really even that close. Capital had only 33 total yards against a very average CMR defense. My comments aren't intended as "smack" in any way. Quite the contrary, I've always been an admirer of Capital's program. I guess even the best programs have occasional "down" years, but it looks like they're headed for their worst season in many, many years. I'd be surprised if they won more than 2 or 3 games. I can only guess that they must be very young and inexperienced this year? Billings West, another traditional power, was 0-10 last season. Has the world gone crazy?

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Capital High

Post by KittieKop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 pm

John K wrote:I went to the CMR-Capital game last Friday, and I have to say that it was sort of shocking to see how bad Capital is this season. They've been so dominant for so many years, that it was hard to wrap my head around what I saw from them that night. They've already lost to Flathead, which was picked to finish 13th out of the 14 AA teams. CMR beat them 23-0, but it wasn't really even that close. Capital had only 33 total yards against a very average CMR defense. My comments aren't intended as "smack" in any way. Quite the contrary, I've always been an admirer of Capital's program. I guess even the best programs have occasional "down" years, but it looks like they're headed for their worst season in many, many years. I'd be surprised if they won more than 2 or 3 games. I can only guess that they must be very young and inexperienced this year? Billings West, another traditional power, was 0-10 last season. Has the world gone crazy?
They lost again this evening in Helena. 16-14 to that West team. And West almost had to hitchhike to the game. Bus broken down enroute. Kickoff for the game was postpones almost an hour.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:38 pm

If I heard the announcer right, Capital has been to the playoffs 17 consecutive years. At 1-4 now, that streak's definitely in jeopardy.

On another note, Helena High looks tough this year. They threw 2 interceptions in the first quarter including a pick 6, and still beat the #4 team (Skyview) on the road 27-14. HHS's defense looks really tough.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:52 pm

91catAlum wrote:If I heard the announcer right, Capital has been to the playoffs 17 consecutive years. At 1-4 now, that streak's definitely in jeopardy.

On another note, Helena High looks tough this year. They threw 2 interceptions in the first quarter including a pick 6, and still beat the #4 team (Skyview) on the road 27-14. HHS's defense looks really tough.

Defense has played tough, and their offense seems really fast as well. Might be Helena's year.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:22 am

KittieKop wrote:
91catAlum wrote:If I heard the announcer right, Capital has been to the playoffs 17 consecutive years. At 1-4 now, that streak's definitely in jeopardy.

Defense has played tough, and their offense seems really fast as well. Might be Helena's year.
It will probably come down to HHS and Glacier. It looks like they're clearly the two best teams this year. I've seen CMR's games against Sentinel and Capital, and they're pretty good, but I don't believe they're a legitimate title contender.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:38 am

John K wrote:
KittieKop wrote:

It will probably come down to HHS and Glacier. It looks like they're clearly the two best teams this year. I've seen CMR's games against Sentinel and Capital, and they're pretty good, but I don't believe they're a legitimate title contender.
The fun thing this year is Glacier and Helena don't play each other. So if both run the table, they'd be seeded 1 and 2 and wouldn't see each other until championship game. It'd feel more like a much more of a toss-up outcome leading up to the game since there'd be no regular season game to look back at.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:42 am

I watched quite a bit of the Capital/West game. CHS's defense didn't play a bad game. Seemed to me like their offense doesn't have much backfield speed. QB play could have been better, too. I don't know enough about line play to say anything there but there sure didn't seem to be a lot of running room. Very strange to see CHS losing 4 games in a row. When was the last time that happened?

I'm optimistic about Helena High, but always cautious on them... I don't have enough fingers to count the number of years Arnston's team has looked like world-beaters in September but folds in the playoffs.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Is there any team that has a realistic shot at beating Glacier or HHS this season? CMR was picked 3rd in the pre-season poll. I've seen them play a couple of times this season, and they're a pretty good team, but they've lost to Glacier already (I believe it was 49-31), and I think HHS would beat them fairly easily too. After those two, it seems like there's quite a bit of parity among the next 8-10 teams, with maybe only 2 or 3 that have no chance to make the playoffs.

CPACAT
Member # Retired

Post by CPACAT » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:25 pm

John K wrote:Is there any team that has a realistic shot at beating Glacier or HHS this season? CMR was picked 3rd in the pre-season poll. I've seen them play a couple of times this season, and they're a pretty good team, but they've lost to Glacier already (I believe it was 49-31), and I think HHS would beat them fairly easily too. After those two, it seems like there's quite a bit of parity among the next 8-10 teams, with maybe only 2 or 3 that have no chance to make the playoffs.
CMR was up in that game in the 3rd and Glacier scored a late garbage TD I believe. I think that game was a lot closer than the final score and I think CMR thinks that they let one get away. CMR also switched to a 3-4 this year so the defense will get better as the season goes on.

I think you are looking at a 3 horse race in the AA. CMR plays at Helena pretty soon so it should clear up the picture. IF CMR can reduce some of their penalties they will be a tough out.

IYAACYAS