Montana HS Softball Highlight #1 Play on ESPN

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Montana HS Softball Highlight #1 Play on ESPN

Post by PapaG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:05 pm

What the heck happened? Did the rightfielder sit on the ball like the kid in Bad News Bears?

[youtube][/youtube]

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Re: Montana HS Softball Highlight #1 Play on ESPN

Post by PapaG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:00 pm

According to ESPN this ended the state championship game. Is that true?

What a ride

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:08 pm

PapaG wrote:According to ESPN this ended the state championship game. Is that true?
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highscho ... 09580.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dropped third strike, ball thrown to right field by catcher and bad throw to third to end it. Pretty impressive run by West to win state.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:13 pm

coachouert wrote:
PapaG wrote:According to ESPN this ended the state championship game. Is that true?
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highscho ... 09580.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dropped third strike, ball thrown to right field by catcher and bad throw to third to end it. Pretty impressive run by West to win state.
I'm not sure how I'd feel about winning that way. A walk-off strikeout? It's great my alma mater won, but it's a bit of a hollow victory, IMO. My last year of Legion, we beat the Royals to win state with a walk-off single. That's a bit easier to take for both the winner and the loser.

What a ride

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:20 pm

PapaG wrote:
coachouert wrote:

I'm not sure how I'd feel about winning that way. A walk-off strikeout? It's great my alma mater won, but it's a bit of a hollow victory, IMO. My last year of Legion, we beat the Royals to win state with a walk-off single. That's a bit easier to take for both the winner and the loser.
West dropped the first round game on day 1 and had to go back and win five in a row on day two to win state including beating Big Sky twice. I'm sure every single person associated with their program was ecstatic to win, even if it was in a pretty fluke way. I can't imagine how awful the Big Sky kids felt though.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:25 pm

coachouert wrote:
PapaG wrote:
coachouert wrote:

West dropped the first round game on day 1 and had to go back and win five in a row on day two to win state including beating Big Sky twice. I'm sure every single person associated with their program was ecstatic to win, even if it was in a pretty fluke way. I can't imagine how awful the Big Sky kids felt though.
That's kind of what I was getting at in my comment. Just a bizarre ending, and I still think I'd be conflicted about winning that way. Not that I'd give back a state title, though!

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:00 pm

This play is now the "Best of the Best" for SportsCenter by a huge margin.

Way to go, Golden Bears!

What a ride

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:57 am

coachouert wrote:
PapaG wrote:
coachouert wrote:

Definitely an impressive run to the title for West. And weren't they only the #4 seed out of the Eastern division? By the way, how many outs were there when that happened? Would that have been the final out, so that Big Sky would have won the title if the catcher had made a good throw to first?

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:45 am

they were the second seed out of the east.

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

DriftCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriftCat » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:19 am

PapaG wrote:
coachouert wrote:

Good to see another former Scarlet on BN.

FTR! :D

F.K.A. - MM7CAT