Caitlin Clark passes Pete Maravich scoring record

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Caitlin Clark passes Pete Maravich scoring record

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:01 pm

In my long tenure (or short depending on perspective) I’ve had the pleasure of watching some great basketball players dating back to Wilt Chamberlin vs Bill Russell or Jerry West and John Havlicek in pro ranks….and was fortunate to see Larry Bird and Elvin Hayes and the great UCLA teams…..in fact i can’t remember ever missing any of the 10 UCLA National Championship games under John Wooden..just glued to the TV. And I did see Pete Maravich play and was in awe of what he could do with a basketball. But with all that being said, I've enjoyed watching Caitlin Clark break the scoring records as much as anything I’ve observed in my basketball watching history. It has been a delight to simply watch and enjoy her talent..a generational talent in women’s sports. I’ve told several people she will change the sport of women’s basketball for all those young girls and teens watching her play! The attendance records for all the venues she plays in speak for her ability and what she has done for women’s basketball! Way to go Caitlin!

Now I know the argument will go on and on about breaking Maravich’s record because he only played three seasons vs. four for Caitlin….and the fact there was no 3 point line in the Maravich era. But I will tell you from my observation, Caitlin was a better shot, a better team player, and she made her teammates better because of her play…compared to Maravich. Just an opinion from an old couch potato nonprofessional non-media non-sports writer non-blogger who played the game at a poor level and coached youth sports at an even poorer level!

Don’t go glassy eyed on me and don’t pull out the henchmen but I tried to actually pull together some statistical comparisons of the two just for fun….and because a friend told me Maravich was a better shot any day than Clark ever was….so I said “oh yeah I’ll check it out!” It actually challenged me to try to find some stats. Don’t pillage me if you find a different database that refutes these stats but here goes. PM is “Pete Maravich” and CC is “Caitlin Clark” …pretty obvious I know.

Team wins-losses-%wins: PM at LSU 49-35-58%. CC at Iowa 101-29-78%

Shots taken per game: PM 38.1. CC 19.9
Field Goal %: PM 43.8%. CC 46.6% (CC from beyond the arc 38.3%)
Free Throw%: PM 77.5%. CC 85.6%
Points per game: PM 44. CC 28

Career Assists - Assists per game: PM 425 - 5.1. CC 1049 - 8.1

Career Rebounds - Rebounds per game: PM 528 - 6.4. CC 882 - 7.1

Fouls - Fouls per game: PM 251 - 3. CC 276 - 2.1

NCAA didn’t track assist to turnover ration until 2007 time frame so I didn’t find that stat but Caitlin Clark Asst/TO ration is 1.8.

I’m tired so will just post this as is. Have at it. But it was my treat to see them both play and I appreciate all they brought to the sport.
Last edited by BobcatDel on Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobcatDel

Re: Caitlin Clark passes Pete Maravich scoring record

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:02 pm

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:39 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:01 pm
In my long tenure (or short depending on perspective) I’ve had the pleasure of watching some great basketball players dating back to Wilt Chamberlin vs Bill Russell or Jerry West and John Havlicek in pro ranks….and was fortunate to see Larry Bird and Elvin Hayes and the great UCLA teams…..in fact i can’t remember ever missing any of the 10 UCLA National Championship games under John Wooden..just glued to the TV. And I did see Pete Maravich play and was in awe of what he could do with a basketball. But with all that being said, I've enjoyed watching Caitlin Clark break the scoring records as much as anything I’ve observed in my basketball watching history. It has been a delight to simply watch and enjoy her talent..a generational talent in women’s sports. I’ve told several people she will change the sport of women’s basketball for all those young girls and teens watching her play! The attendance records for all the venues she plays in speak for her ability and what she has done for women’s basketball! Way to go Caitlin!

Now I know the argument will go on and on about breaking Maravich’s record because he only played three seasons vs. four for Caitlin….and the fact there was no 3 point line in the Maravich era. But I will tell you from my observation, Caitlin was a better shot, a better team player, and she made her teammates better because of her play…compared to Maravich. Just an opinion from an old couch potato nonprofessional non-media non-sports writer non-blogger who played the game at a poor level and coached youth sports at an even poorer level!

Don’t go glassy eyed on me and don’t pull out the henchmen but I tried to actually pull together some statistical comparisons of the two just for fun….and because a friend told me Maravich was a better shot any day than Clark ever was….so I said “oh yeah I’ll check it out!” It actually challenged me to try to find some stats. Don’t pillage me if you find a different database that refutes these stats but here goes. PM is “Pete Maravich” and CC is “Caitlin Clark” …pretty obvious I know.

Team wins-losses-%wins: PM at LSU 49-35-58%. CC at Iowa 101-29-78%

Shots taken per game: PM 38.1. CC 19.9
Field Goal %: PM 43.8%. CC 46.6% (CC from beyond the arc 38.3%)
Free Throw%: PM 77.5%. CC 85.6%
Points per game: PM 44. CC 28

Career Assists - Assists per game: PM 425 - 5.1. CC 1049 - 8.1

Career Rebounds - Rebounds per game: PM 528 - 6.4. CC 882 - 7.1

Fouls - Fouls per game: PM 251 - 3. CC 276 - 2.1

NCAA didn’t track assist to turnover ration until 2007 time frame so I didn’t find that stat but Caitlin Clark Asst/TO ration is 1.8.

I’m tired so will just post this as is. Have at it. But it was my treat to see them both play and I appreciate all they brought to the sport.
You are by far a better BB officianado than I am. Never watched CC but was blessed to watch the old greats. Thank you for your take..

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:16 pm

The most impressive thing I saw from Clark today was her court vision and passing ability.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:46 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:16 pm
The most impressive thing I saw from Clark today was her court vision and passing ability.
Yep..you could make a highlight reel on just her passing. Her teammates understand if they work hard and get open she will see them and is going to get it to them.