Judge rules in favor of UM in Shannon Schweyen lawsuit

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

John K
Golden Bobcat

Judge rules in favor of UM in Shannon Schweyen lawsuit

Post by John K » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:41 pm

I just saw this and don't know any of the details. I haven't followed this case closely at all, but based on what little I knew about it, it seemed like she had a pretty flimsy case

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Judge rules in favor of UM in Shannon Schweyen lawsuit

Post by RickRund » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:49 am

John K wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:41 pm
I just saw this and don't know any of the details. I haven't followed this case closely at all, but based on what little I knew about it, it seemed like she had a pretty flimsy case
My thoughts exactly. I felt she had a 0% chance of winning.

In about 2004, bad memory, I had a knee replacement. 11 months later my company told me on a Wednesday to clean out my service truck on Friday. They had told me I could not do my duties, hog-wash, there was never one job I did not complete. 25 years with the company. I took them to court and lost. I am fairly jaded to our justice system.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:07 am

RickRund wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:49 am
John K wrote:

In about 2004, bad memory, I had a knee replacement. 11 months later my company told me on a Wednesday to clean out my service truck on Friday. They had told me I could not do my duties, hog-wash, there was never one job I did not complete. 25 years with the company. I took them to court and lost. I am fairly jaded to our justice system.
In the United States we have a legal system, not a justice system.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:25 am

D-Wreck wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:07 am
RickRund wrote:
John K wrote:

Her record as a head coach wasn't very good and players were leaving because of her. What would justice have been? What justice do the players get?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Thu Nov 02, 2023 10:05 am

Cledus wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:25 am
D-Wreck wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:07 am
RickRund wrote:
John K wrote:

Her record as a head coach wasn't very good and players were leaving because of her. What would justice have been? What justice do the players get?
I wasn't referring to this case at all. Just speaking generally, as it seems my sentiment may match Mr. Rund's experience as he shared it.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:15 am

I don't know enough about the details of the lawsuit to comment on the verdict, but I do know that UM hiring Schweyen in the first place was one of the best things to ever happen to the MSU women's basketball program. Now we've got our long-time head coach with a highly successful record, and they're the ones trying to play catch-up and rebuild their program to anywhere near what it once was.

Grizfan7
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Grizfan7 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:19 am

SS didn't have a wrongful termination case, and that wasn't what the case was based on. Her case was based on sex discrimination. UM and Haslam treated her worse than they treated men's coach, her complaint said. Her law firm was a hotshot boutique law firm from Wash DC. I had assumed that they had found some stuff that would stick, although I had not looked at the case or what they alleged. The federal judge, Dana Christiansen,who decided the case upon an early motion, is a smart guy and very good judge. I would guess that the law firm and SS were stunned that they lost this early in the case, but I have no inside info and don't know.

Big win for Haslam and UM.