Guess what happened in Missoula?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Re: Guess what happened in Missoula?

Post by Cataholic » Tue May 22, 2018 4:31 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:Bump over spam,...again.
Hahahahaha!

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri May 25, 2018 11:29 am

Grizaddict wrote:I've filled in a number of posters here who PMd me on the situation. There are several here who are "in the know". I'm guessing it will all come out soon enough. I'm not expecting anything major, maybe a 1 game suspension via the code of conduct, if even that.
So the kid could end up with multiple surgeries, and they are still considering filing felony charges, and it's going to be a one game suspension? Or maybe the ones that assualted him weren't football players... not sure because I didn't care enough to get the PM info.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... e23b6.html

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri May 25, 2018 11:56 am

catatac wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:I've filled in a number of posters here who PMd me on the situation. There are several here who are "in the know". I'm guessing it will all come out soon enough. I'm not expecting anything major, maybe a 1 game suspension via the code of conduct, if even that.
So the kid could end up with multiple surgeries, and they are still considering filing felony charges, and it's going to be a one game suspension? Or maybe the ones that assualted him weren't football players... not sure because I didn't care enough to get the PM info.

If felony charges are filed, that would change everything. I think what the griz person implied is that he doesn't expect that to happen based on his insider knowledge of the situation.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Fri May 25, 2018 2:48 pm

91catAlum wrote:
catatac wrote:

If felony charges are filed, that would change everything. I think what the griz person implied is that he doesn't expect that to happen based on his insider knowledge of the situation.
Correct, the player(s) supposedly involved are impact players for the Griz, and it would hurt to lose one or both for that matter. But from what I'm hearing, there was a lot of info that was not correct in the initial Missoulian report (imagine that) and that the investigation isn't turning up any ground breaking info. 91 is right, if a felony charge or charges are brought then the players are in a bad spot. It is my understanding that a misdemeanor is more likely which warrants a one game suspension.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri May 25, 2018 6:59 pm

So much for zero tolerance. Thug culture and special treatment is what Bobby’s reputation was in the past. Looks like the same story all over again.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Sat May 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Cataholic wrote:So much for zero tolerance. Thug culture and special treatment is what Bobby’s reputation was in the past. Looks like the same story all over again.
It's dUMb did you really expect things to change?

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Sat May 26, 2018 3:05 pm

St George wrote:
Cataholic wrote:So much for zero tolerance. Thug culture and special treatment is what Bobby’s reputation was in the past. Looks like the same story all over again.
I don't know any facts, so I'm not sure how this is thug culture. It seems similar to the LaSane thing last year. I would say if more facts come out, then it will be safer to make a judgement. I want all things at UM to be bad, but sometimes it's just kids and alcohol.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat May 26, 2018 3:44 pm

St George wrote:
It isn’t just UM that’s corrupt in Missoula. The justice system (note the photo that accompanied the story) and, according to Griz fans, the Missoulian are also. Everyone in that town is pointing fingers at each other it’s like a Mexican standoff.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat May 26, 2018 5:18 pm

allcat wrote:
St George wrote:
I don't know any facts, so I'm not sure how this is thug culture. It seems similar to the LaSane thing last year. I would say if more facts come out, then it will be safer to make a judgement. I want all things at UM to be bad, but sometimes it's just kids and alcohol.
Agree, sometimes it's just kids and alcohol. Sometimes that leads to very serious situations though, and on the surface it sounds pretty bad considering a kid will require multiple surgeries, and they are considering felony charges. All that said, kids do dumb things and it all comes down to how the coaches handle it. Everyone in the state will be watching this one very closely to see how Bobby handles it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat May 26, 2018 8:20 pm

catatac wrote:
allcat wrote:
St George wrote:
Agree, sometimes it's just kids and alcohol. Sometimes that leads to very serious situations though, and on the surface it sounds pretty bad considering a kid will require multiple surgeries, and they are considering felony charges. All that said, kids do dumb things and it all comes down to how the coaches handle it. Everyone in the state will be watching this one very closely to see how Bobby handles it.
I did some stupid stuff growing up, but I was never charged with a felony or considered for felony charges. It isn’t that hard. And when you represent the school, you are subject to a higher level of scrutiny. Add in the additional scrutiny because of the Hauck hire. Given just those simple facts along with a zero tolerance policy, doesn’t having a drink or being in bar in the wee hours of the morning sound like a bad decision?

As for thug culture, doesn’t getting in a fight and breaking a guys jaw qualify? Doesn’t this sound similar to incidents under Hauck’s previous tenure? I am still amazed that Hauck was hired back. Any incident with the players will now be guaranteed to be front page news.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:27 am

Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
allcat wrote:
St George wrote:
I did some stupid stuff growing up, but I was never charged with a felony or considered for felony charges. It isn’t that hard. And when you represent the school, you are subject to a higher level of scrutiny. Add in the additional scrutiny because of the Hauck hire. Given just those simple facts along with a zero tolerance policy, doesn’t having a drink or being in bar in the wee hours of the morning sound like a bad decision?

As for thug culture, doesn’t getting in a fight and breaking a guys jaw qualify? Doesn’t this sound similar to incidents under Hauck’s previous tenure? I am still amazed that Hauck was hired back. Any incident with the players will now be guaranteed to be front page news.
It’s being normalized.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Mon May 28, 2018 9:07 am

Bump over warner spam.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon May 28, 2018 9:29 am

Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
allcat wrote:
St George wrote:

I agree with your thinking about "stupid stuff." Most of the time "stupid stuff' or acting immature is applied as a misdemeanor in the legal system. Felonies are a different level and require what I would call an insidious attitude.
I don't agree that getting in a fight and breaking a jaw is evidence of thug culture. What I view as thug culture has more to do with intimidation with a purpose. When I think of that I think of the bar i walked into 30 years ago down on Minnesota Ave in Billings. I was intimidated immediately and knew I was in the wrong place. I hardly think anything in MIssoula comes close to that.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 28, 2018 10:16 am

Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
allcat wrote:
St George wrote:

I agree with your thinking about "stupid stuff." Most of the time "stupid stuff' or acting immature is applied as a misdemeanor in the legal system. Felonies are a different level and require what I would call an insidious attitude.
I don't agree that getting in a fight and breaking a jaw is evidence of thug culture. What I view as thug culture has more to do with intimidation with a purpose. When I think of that I think of the bar i walked into 30 years ago down on Minnesota Ave in Billings. I was intimidated immediately and knew I was in the wrong place. I hardly think anything in MIssoula comes close to that.
Good point. Probably a different kind of thug culture than I had in mind with your Billings example. I recall Hauck’s tenure being filled with multiple run ins with the law and his attitude overall with the media was “I don’t have to answer your questions “. How he handles this incident will be very interesting. You can’t have a zero tolerance culture and then cut players slack. It is ZERO TOLERANCE. Quite frankly, I feel bad for the players. Hiring Bobby back has put them under the microscope again. Any off field incident has to be met with severe repercussions or the program and university will be subject to more scrutiny.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 am

Cataholic wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
allcat wrote:
St George wrote:

Good point. Probably a different kind of thug culture than I had in mind with your Billings example. I recall Hauck’s tenure being filled with multiple run ins with the law and his attitude overall with the media was “I don’t have to answer your questions “. How he handles this incident will be very interesting. You can’t have a zero tolerance culture and then cut players slack. It is ZERO TOLERANCE. Quite frankly, I feel bad for the players. Hiring Bobby back has put them under the microscope again. Any off field incident has to be met with severe repercussions or the program and university will be subject to more scrutiny.
We could have a whole new conversation about ZERO TOLERANCE. The kind of thinking that proclaims ZERO TOLERANCE is why little kids get kicked out of school for eating a pop tart into the shape of a gun and pointing it at a classmate. In my mind, ZERO TOLERANCE = ZERO THINKING. College football coaches ought to be able to make decisions about discipline and they get payed enough that they ought to be able to withstand the blow back of poor or unpopular decisions, even if that means getting canned.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 28, 2018 11:37 am

Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
allcat wrote:
St George wrote:

We could have a whole new conversation about ZERO TOLERANCE. The kind of thinking that proclaims ZERO TOLERANCE is why little kids get kicked out of school for eating a pop tart into the shape of a gun and pointing it at a classmate. In my mind, ZERO TOLERANCE = ZERO THINKING. College football coaches ought to be able to make decisions about discipline and they get payed enough that they ought to be able to withstand the blow back of poor or unpopular decisions, even if that means getting canned.
I agree. But in reality the coaches have to make a living and Hauck is on a short leash as a result of his previous stint. As I said before, not really fair to the kids that a coach may have to make decisions based on public reaction, but the Griz admin had to understand that would be the situation when hiring Hauck. Zero tolerance was not a choice, it would be a requirement when hiring Hauck. And the players knew this when hanging out at Stocks at 2:00 in the morning.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon May 28, 2018 12:18 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
allcat wrote:
St George wrote:

I agree. But in reality the coaches have to make a living and Hauck is on a short leash as a result of his previous stint. As I said before, not really fair to the kids that a coach may have to make decisions based on public reaction, but the Griz admin had to understand that would be the situation when hiring Hauck. Zero tolerance was not a choice, it would be a requirement when hiring Hauck. And the players knew this when hanging out at Stocks at 2:00 in the morning.
I see what you're saying, but that might be somewhat naive thinking en terms of what's really going on over there. Rich boosters basically made the decision to fire Stitt and bring back the Messiah. Given the dumpster fire going on over there with enrollment, etc... I think the administration pretty much had to go along. What makes you think Bobby is on a short leash now? I don't think the rich boosters are going to let him get fired unless he blatantly does something completely stupid, or if he doesn't get them back to a deep playoff run within five years. I know some people (Grizzly fans) are probably thinking I'm way off base with the "boosters are making the decisions" thing but I've heard comments from people in the know that pretty much back this up.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon May 28, 2018 6:43 pm

catatac wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
catatac wrote:
allcat wrote:
St George wrote:

I see what you're saying, but that might be somewhat naive thinking en terms of what's really going on over there. Rich boosters basically made the decision to fire Stitt and bring back the Messiah. Given the dumpster fire going on over there with enrollment, etc... I think the administration pretty much had to go along. What makes you think Bobby is on a short leash now? I don't think the rich boosters are going to let him get fired unless he blatantly does something completely stupid, or if he doesn't get them back to a deep playoff run within five years. I know some people (Grizzly fans) are probably thinking I'm way off base with the "boosters are making the decisions" thing but I've heard comments from people in the know that pretty much back this up.
That is an interesting perspective. I have also heard that rich boosters were behind the effort to bring back Hauck. You would think that the school admin and athletics admin would be aligned with selling an image and/or brand of the university as a whole. I can’t imagine academic folks felt Hauck was the right choice in rebuilding the school’s image.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon May 28, 2018 11:15 pm

Dang! MSU fans disparaging another school after all the crap that went on in Bozeangeles. Let me refresh your tiny brucie memories. An assistant coach was dealing meth. A former basketball player killed a drug dealer so the AD and asshole president fired the football coach because he was the one who first started bringing in the "gangs" (even though one of the players from Florida was a principal's son and all-conference and even all-american?)

Krachouse went after Mortenson and his ****** nonprofit instead of the town, so all is good and well in the Valley now.

Throw the first stone...and keep an eye on the daily blotter report.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue May 29, 2018 7:12 am

What year was that? 2004? 14 years ago. And who should Krakauer had gone after in Bozeman? Seems like justice was served to all those involved in Bozeman then and since.