Another Griz FB player quits

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cat_gld
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Another Griz FB player quits

Post by Cat_gld » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:25 pm

Cat_gld wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:13 pm
Six more gone!

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... 57f88.html
15 total now, only 2 starters in Favoroso and Jensen. These latest 6 were comprised of a third string LB and 5 true freshman who were all walk ons (except for Hoerner, he was a partial). So not too bad in my opinion. I am surprised there haven’t been at least 10-12 more so far. Maybe that’s coming after fall ball.

Cat_gld

Post by Cat_gld » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:25 pm
Cat_gld wrote:
Six more gone!

15 total now, only 2 starters in Favoroso and Jensen. These latest 6 were comprised of a third string LB and 5 true freshman who were all walk ons (except for Hoerner, he was a partial). So not too bad in my opinion. I am surprised there haven’t been at least 10-12 more so far. Maybe that’s coming after fall ball.
Thanks for filling in the details. Are you assuming that no one but yourself can read?

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Cat_gld wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:48 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Six more gone!

Thanks for filling in the details. Are you assuming that no one but yourself can read?
Well it is a Cats site so that assumption may hold some weight :)

Seriously though, a major coaching change and so far only lost 2 starters and 15 total. I would have guessed twice that if I’m being honest. Like I said, maybe more in the fall.

Cat_gld

Post by Cat_gld » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:26 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:38 pm
Cat_gld wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Six more gone!

Seriously though, a major coaching change and so far only lost 2 starters and 15 total. I would have guessed twice that if I’m being honest. Like I said, maybe more in the fall.
Wasn't Hoerner a highly sought-after recruit? Given a partial, he was obviously high on the last staff's list of in-state recruits. I don't know if Choate recruited him, but wouldn't doubt if he had.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 am

Hoerner was #11 on Vim’s 2017 list of Montana recruits. Third highest rated UM recruit.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am

Cat_gld wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:26 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Six more gone!

Wasn't Hoerner a highly sought-after recruit? Given a partial, he was obviously high on the last staff's list of in-state recruits. I don't know if Choate recruited him, but wouldn't doubt if he had.
Yes he was a recruit Griz Nation was excited about. Not sure what happened there, he’s actually been gone since last December. I’m not aware of him going anywhere else he may just be done with football.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am
Cat_gld wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Six more gone!

Yes he was a recruit Griz Nation was excited about. Not sure what happened there, he’s actually been gone since last December. I’m not aware of him going anywhere else he may just be done with football.
You guys have a nation? I thought you had been downgraded to a principality

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 pm

allcat wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:07 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 am
Cat_gld wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Six more gone!

You guys have a nation? I thought you had been downgraded to a principality
It definitely feels that way lately. We have a ways to go to get back on top. I’m thinking 7-4 this year with a possibility of 6-5. Buss may be out for year. That hurts.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:22 pm

Griz lose two more players, Dax Solis and Thayne Jackson. Jackson was expected to be a starter on the offensive line. They are going to be very thin on the line.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:28 am

Solis had the nerve to explain why and is getting ripped for it on egriz. He had four pages of praise for being a Bobble Hauck Guy when he signed. The Teddie Bears are so sensitive!!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:43 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:28 am
Solis had the nerve to explain why and is getting ripped for it on egriz. He had four pages of praise for being a Bobble Hauck Guy when he signed. The Teddie Bears are so sensitive!!

Well his reasoning does sound pretty weak. I mean...welcome to the culture change bub.

People here would do the same thing.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:47 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:43 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:28 am

Well his reasoning does sound pretty weak. I mean...welcome to the culture change bub.

People here would do the same thing.
“I don’t think I fit in here, so I’ll stick around for 4-5 years to prove I can make it in the Marines.”

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:48 am

He said he felt like an outsider and saw the team split into cliques and then mentioned other things that showed the pettiness of the coaching staff. I mean who tells their players they can’t wear their old high school logo gear. So he basically quit because it wasn’t fun for him anymore. Sound reasoning in my opinion. Not sure why anyone would fault him.

Then as Tom says the fans start comparing Griz football to military. That’s just bizarre.

MSU just had a guy quit because he was homesick. I didn’t see anyone putting him down.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:56 am

Whatever the case the Griz have now lost their starting QB, a starting OL, top DE (another guy they’re bashing), starting cornerback, probable starting safety, and may be without starting linebacker.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:56 am
Whatever the case the Griz have now lost their starting QB, a starting OL, top DE (another guy they’re bashing), starting cornerback, probable starting safety, and may be without starting linebacker.
What’s your point? All teams at all levels of football lose key players every single year, including your cats. Why don’t you point out all of the cats losses, it will look eerily sililar:

- starting QB
- top 3 leading rushers
- best LB you’ve ever had
- top receivers

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:58 pm
iaafan wrote:
What’s your point? All teams at all levels of football lose key players every single year, including your cats. Why don’t you point out all of the cats losses, it will look eerily sililar:

- starting QB - Yes - but we'll have better QB play in 2018 which should not be a surprise considering how we often we heard from Griznation how bad CM sucked as a QB.

- top 3 leading rushers, not quite.

- best LB you’ve ever had, uh, no.

- top receivers. Yes stats wise, but we'll be good at WR in 2018. I'm believing what I've hearing form the reporters, coaches, and others that are watching Fall camp closely.
So not that similar really, but the fortunate thing for the Bobcats is that we have enough quality depth to withstand some departures. Doesn't appear as if the Griz do in some key position groups.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:23 pm

[quote=Grizaddict post_id=634182 time=1534449495 user_id=21719]
[quote=iaafan post_id=634131 time=1534427780 user_id=170]
[/quote]

- starting QB
- top 3 leading rushers
- top receivers
[/quote]
I’m not talking about players who’ve used up all their eligibility. The losses I’ve listed are all players that left despite having eligibility remaining. Jensen, Jackson, Favoroso, Isaiah Banks, Sanders.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:47 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:23 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:

- starting QB
- top 3 leading rushers
- top receivers
I’m not talking about players who’ve used up all their eligibility. The losses I’ve listed are all players that left despite having eligibility remaining. Jensen, Jackson, Favoroso, Isaiah Banks, Sanders.
Well since you were picking guys who medically retired prior to Hauck coming (Sanders) and a guy who redshirted and never saw a D1 snap and making a HUGE stretch that he’d be a starter (Banks, who ask left prior to Hauck) I wasn’t clear what your strange parameters were. That would be like me referring to this list and making an idiotic claim these guys could have all been Cats starters who they are now without.

Putney
Long
Leota
Jake Roper
Ed Vander
Brady McChesney
Noah James
Sean Opland
Gabe Peppenger
Will Martel
Jaxen Hashley
Jackson Mcleery
Kapili Livingston-Lopez
Adam Jordt
Anthony Pegues
Luke Daly
Ben Folsom
Koni Dole
Keon Stephens
Nick Van Horssen
Kamden Brown
Jake McFetridge
Conor Floden

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:55 pm

catatac wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:

- starting QB - Yes - but we'll have better QB play in 2018 which should not be a surprise considering how we often we heard from Griznation how bad CM sucked as a QB.

- top 3 leading rushers, not quite.

- best LB you’ve ever had, uh, no.

- top receivers. Yes stats wise, but we'll be good at WR in 2018. I'm believing what I've hearing form the reporters, coaches, and others that are watching Fall camp closely.
So not that similar really, but the fortunate thing for the Bobcats is that we have enough quality depth to withstand some departures. Doesn't appear as if the Griz do in some key position groups.
Fair point, if the Cats really have depth. We often don’t know how solid the depth is until the bullets start flying and we see these guys play. Sounds like you have dept at key spots and not so much at others (QB the most important one).

I’m worried mostly about Griz O Line. We have a 3rd year returning starter in VillaNueva but he’s a little banged up right now and then the only other lineman with a lot of playing time was Jackson who just hung up the cleats and retired. The size and ability and talent is there, but experience is not so that worries me.

We are deep at QB, RB, WR is ridiculous, TE, D Line, and safety. Still thin at CB in my opinion unless Calhoun adjusts quickly.