Big XII expanding by 4 teams?

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldenBobcat86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Big XII expanding by 4 teams?

Post by GoldenBobcat86 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:45 pm

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016 ... ob-bowlsby

Looks like the Big XII may have 14 teams in the near future.

What do you suppose the trickle down effect with be for the Big Sky and Montana State?

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Re: Big XII expanding by 4 teams?

Post by Go Scats Go » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:26 pm

It will only affect the BS Conf. if they pick a Western USA team.

BYU is an indépendant so no BS pressure.

Boise, Colorado State, San Diego State those are the teams that if chosen for the Big 16 will see pressure put on the BS.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:41 am

Another mormon writer. The truth of the matter is simple. Nobody wants to play with byu in the present political climate and revenue sharing will surprise many when they make their next decision.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:27 pm

They might also only expand back to 12, most likely snagging Boise and Houston. Which wouldn't effect us at all. Really the biggest effect would be if the mountain west disbanded if they lose teams to the Big 12 and a possible Pac 12 expansion down he road because you may see more dropdowns thus making it so there could be 2 conferences in the west for FCS.

GoldenBobcat86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoldenBobcat86 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:36 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:They might also only expand back to 12, most likely snagging Boise and Houston. Which wouldn't effect us at all. Really the biggest effect would be if the mountain west disbanded if they lose teams to the Big 12 and a possible Pac 12 expansion down he road because you may see more dropdowns thus making it so there could be 2 conferences in the west for FCS.
If Colorado State and/or Boise are taken, what will the MW do? I don't think they would remain at 10 or 11 teams, like all leagues (except for the Sun Belt for some reason), they would want to be at 12 teams. For the sake of argument, if the MW lost a team or two and had to replace them with new teams, who would they go for you think?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:45 pm

GoldenBobcat86 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:They might also only expand back to 12, most likely snagging Boise and Houston. Which wouldn't effect us at all. Really the biggest effect would be if the mountain west disbanded if they lose teams to the Big 12 and a possible Pac 12 expansion down he road because you may see more dropdowns thus making it so there could be 2 conferences in the west for FCS.
If Colorado State and/or Boise are taken, what will the MW do? I don't think they would remain at 10 or 11 teams, like all leagues (except for the Sun Belt for some reason), they would want to be at 12 teams. For the sake of argument, if the MW lost a team or two and had to replace them with new teams, who would they go for you think?
I would say it depends on how things shake out in the next year or 2 but if NMSU refuses to drop down they would be considered I'm sure. It sounds like Houston, Boise and BYU are their top 3 choices. I really doubt they go to 14. CSU isn't good enough for them to consider imo. I could also see them adding someone like Marshall if they go to 14 teams. Built in rivalry with WVU and have been successful lately.

GoldenBobcat86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoldenBobcat86 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:58 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
GoldenBobcat86 wrote:
I would say it depends on how things shake out in the next year or 2 but if NMSU refuses to drop down they would be considered I'm sure. It sounds like Houston, Boise and BYU are their top 3 choices. I really doubt they go to 14. CSU isn't good enough for them to consider imo. I could also see them adding someone like Marshall if they go to 14 teams. Built in rivalry with WVU and have been successful lately.
But my question was about who the Mountain West would take. New Mexico State, UTEP, Rice, and a couple of others from the FBS would be likely, but I do see them dipping into FCS and giving long hard looks at teams like Montana State and Montana as perhaps a package deal.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Cat Grad wrote:Another mormon writer. The truth of the matter is simple. Nobody wants to play with byu in the present political climate and revenue sharing will surprise many when they make their next decision.
What does this mean? :shock:

Houston and Salt Lake (and national Mormon following) are about the best the Big 12ish can hope for at this point in terms of expanding the TV footprint. Houston specifically because Texas A$M left for greener pastures to the SEC, and BYU because they have a passionate fanbase that may pay off a bit. Why they'd take any other schools puzzles me, because adding extra members after them dilutes the money pool without adding eyeballs to the TV contracts.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:02 pm

GoldenBobcat86 wrote: But my question was about who the Mountain West would take. New Mexico State, UTEP, Rice, and a couple of others from the FBS would be likely, but I do see them dipping into FCS and giving long hard looks at teams like Montana State and Montana as perhaps a package deal.
No chance unless the MWC drops to a lower level than FBS in a Big 64 scenario that excluded the also-rans like the NMSUs, Rices, UTEPs, and other programs nobody cares about nationally. Montana and MSU have a very deep in terms of support, yet also a very narrow amount of fans, and would be a drain on a conference such as the MWC in terms of adding TV revenue. The entire state is what, 1 million people?

What a ride

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:27 pm

PapaG wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:Another mormon writer. The truth of the matter is simple. Nobody wants to play with byu in the present political climate and revenue sharing will surprise many when they make their next decision.

Houston and Salt Lake (and national Mormon following) are about the best the Big 12ish can hope for at this point in terms of expanding the TV footprint. Houston specifically because Texas A$M left for greener pastures to the SEC, and BYU because they have a passionate fanbase that may pay off a bit. Why they'd take any other schools puzzles me, because adding extra members after them dilutes the money pool without adding eyeballs to the TV contracts.
Boise State is a better choice than BYU. Both teams have a strong following especially in the west but Boise has a much bigger following due to the circumstances surrounding their rise to national prominence. A lot of Cats and Griz fans are fans of Boise, far fewer are BYU fans. It's similar across the west. When was the last time BYU played in the chick fil a opening game, the fiesta bowl, any bowl that actually means something? The Big 12 would be fools not to add them this time. As for the mountain west I think all group of 5 teams and conferences become a new division 1 subdivision soon.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:11 pm

PapaG wrote:
GoldenBobcat86 wrote: But my question was about who the Mountain West would take. New Mexico State, UTEP, Rice, and a couple of others from the FBS would be likely, but I do see them dipping into FCS and giving long hard looks at teams like Montana State and Montana as perhaps a package deal.
No chance unless the MWC drops to a lower level than FBS in a Big 64 scenario that excluded the also-rans like the NMSUs, Rices, UTEPs, and other programs nobody cares about nationally. Montana and MSU have a very deep in terms of support, yet also a very narrow amount of fans, and would be a drain on a conference such as the MWC in terms of adding TV revenue. The entire state is what, 1 million people?
If the Big 12 dipped into the FCS they'd go after teams like NDSU and UNI, they even fit the footprint better than most teams being considered like Boise. I really wouldn't be surprised in the least if NDSU got an invite to one of those spots.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:30 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
PapaG wrote:
If the Big 12 dipped into the FCS they'd go after teams like NDSU and UNI, they even fit the footprint better than most teams being considered like Boise. I really wouldn't be surprised in the least if NDSU got an invite to one of those spots.
The Big 12 definitely would add an FCS team. If they add multiple mountain west teams, which I don't see happening both the Cats and the Griz might get mountain west invites but it would be unwise for either to move up. Financially especially.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:08 pm

They are not looking at FCS. Teams that are their top priorities have bigger markets. They would target: Houston, Boise State, San Jose St... They would love to pick Texas.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

GoldenBobcat86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by GoldenBobcat86 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:00 pm

I think some people are a little confused. I'm not talking about the Big XII adding FCS teams, I'm talking about the Big XII adding Mountain West teams and the Mountain West adding FCS teams like Montana State and Montana.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Wyoming, Colorado State, any of the Dakota teams (all of them) make more sense than adding a corrupt cult religion school to the Big 12. When all the dice are rolled, were they to take a chance on the MWC schools, Nevada and UNLV make more sense than byu.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:35 am

Common Cat wrote:They are not looking at FCS. Teams that are their top priorities have bigger markets. They would target: Houston, Boise State, San Jose St... They would love to pick Texas.
I meant wouldn't add an FCS team in my post above. I think Boise and SDSU are the only MWC teams who have a chance of being in the Big 12.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:44 am

Cat Grad wrote:Wyoming, Colorado State, any of the Dakota teams (all of them) make more sense than adding a corrupt cult religion school to the Big 12. When all the dice are rolled, were they to take a chance on the MWC schools, Nevada and UNLV make more sense than byu.
So ass perennial cellar dweller UNLV makes more sense than BYU? Interesting. The Big 12 coaches were pulled anonymously yesterday and Houston and BYU are the top 2 that the coaches want to see in expansion.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:08 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
PapaG wrote:

Boise State is a better choice than BYU. Both teams have a strong following especially in the west but Boise has a much bigger following due to the circumstances surrounding their rise to national prominence. A lot of Cats and Griz fans are fans of Boise, far fewer are BYU fans. It's similar across the west. When was the last time BYU played in the chick fil a opening game, the fiesta bowl, any bowl that actually means something? The Big 12 would be fools not to add them this time. As for the mountain west I think all group of 5 teams and conferences become a new division 1 subdivision soon.
Boise State adds nothing to the BIG 12ish and academically is inferior to every other school in that conference. Throw in their tiny TV imprint and they become a taker.

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:10 am

Cat Grad wrote:Wyoming, Colorado State, any of the Dakota teams (all of them) make more sense than adding a corrupt cult religion school to the Big 12. When all the dice are rolled, were they to take a chance on the MWC schools, Nevada and UNLV make more sense than byu.
Your blatant anti-Mormonism aside, BYU has a national following, while Reno and Vegas have Reno and Vegas.

What a ride

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:38 am

PapaG wrote:
Your blatant anti-Mormonism aside, BYU has a national following, while Reno and Vegas have Reno and Vegas.
Isn't TCU in the Big 12? What's the difference?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber