Idaho Football dropping to FCS in 2018

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Idaho Football dropping to FCS in 2018

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:39 am

John K wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:IMO if they all took a pay cut they would be earning far closer to what they are actually worth then they currently are. How their egos handle that I'm not sure.
In the coaching profession, the market determines "worth", and the market for their coaches just changed significantly. But coaches have big egos, even at the FCS level, and as I said before, it's not easy for anyone to accept a pay cut, especially when it's not tied to job performance, but rather to external factors that are beyond the coach's control.
I get that. I 'll stick with my opinion all the same. As far as the market goes they never really were in the market they wanted so badly to be in, it was more wishful thinking than anything else.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:42 am

John K wrote:This is why it's not as easy for schools to drop down, as some people think. There are lots of logistic issues, i.e. coaching salaries, getting down to the lower number of scholarships, etc. I'm still curious to see how that will work too. I guess if a large number of players defect, then the problem will solve itself, If not, they'll only be able to give out a very small number of schollies in each of the next two years. Of course that also depends upon the makeup of their current roster, the number of freshman/sophomores versus juniors/seniors. It could leave them with a real hole in their roster though, a few years down the road, when their next two recruiting classes are juniors and seniors. They may end up having to play a bunch of young players at that point.
As for as the defections go, I imagine the NCAA will grant the players some waivers so that transfers to other FBS schools will be penalty free. I seem to recall that UAB footballers got a waiver when they shut it down.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:47 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:IMO if they all took a pay cut they would be earning far closer to what they are actually worth then they currently are. How their egos handle that I'm not sure.
In the coaching profession, the market determines "worth", and the market for their coaches just changed significantly. But coaches have big egos, even at the FCS level, and as I said before, it's not easy for anyone to accept a pay cut, especially when it's not tied to job performance, but rather to external factors that are beyond the coach's control.
I get that. I 'll stick with my opinion all the same. As far as the market goes they never really were in the market they wanted so badly to be in, it was more wishful thinking than anything else.
A agree with you completely, but put yourself in Petrino's place. UI comes to him and says they're going to cut his salary by 50%, which would still place him among the highest paid FCS coaches. That certainly wouldn't sit very well with me, especially since the pay cut was the result of an organizational decision, and had nothing to do with how well, or how poorly, I had performed at my job. Of course, if his pay is cut significantly, I'm sure he'll be pursuing other opportunities at the end of the season, which would probably be best for both sides.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 am

A quick look on Rivals shows Idaho having mostly 2 star recruits with a few 3's mixed in. Most of them show Idaho as their only offer. Some of their top guys might get looks from FBS, but I don't see a mass transfer happening.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:53 am

Rich K wrote:
John K wrote:This is why it's not as easy for schools to drop down, as some people think. There are lots of logistic issues, i.e. coaching salaries, getting down to the lower number of scholarships, etc. I'm still curious to see how that will work too. I guess if a large number of players defect, then the problem will solve itself, If not, they'll only be able to give out a very small number of schollies in each of the next two years. Of course that also depends upon the makeup of their current roster, the number of freshman/sophomores versus juniors/seniors. It could leave them with a real hole in their roster though, a few years down the road, when their next two recruiting classes are juniors and seniors. They may end up having to play a bunch of young players at that point.
As for as the defections go, I imagine the NCAA will grant the players some waivers so that transfers to other FBS schools will be penalty free. I seem to recall that UAB footballers got a waiver when they shut it down.
I'm sure you're right about that, and there may be mass defections from the program. Again, that would solve the problem of getting down to 63 schollies. I'm sure at least some players will opt to transfer elsewhere, but I think it's hard to predict whether it will be a significant number, or maybe just a handful.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:57 am

John K wrote:
Joe Bobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
A agree with you completely, but put yourself in Petrino's place. UI comes to him and says they're going to cut his salary by 50%, which would still place him among the highest paid FCS coaches. That certainly wouldn't sit very well with me, especially since the pay cut was the result of an organizational decision, and had nothing to do with how well, or how poorly, I had performed at my job. Of course, if his pay is cut significantly, I'm sure he'll be pursuing other opportunities at the end of the season, which would probably be best for both sides.
yeah it's a raw deal but they can move on if they don't like the cold hard fact of a pay cut. Man I'm cold hearted today.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:05 am

Hawks86 wrote:A quick look on Rivals shows Idaho having mostly 2 star recruits with a few 3's mixed in. Most of them show Idaho as their only offer. Some of their top guys might get looks from FBS, but I don't see a mass transfer happening.
My guess is that almost all of the older players, with just 1 or 2 years of eligibility remaining, will choose to stay, but that some of the younger players, with most or all of their careers still in front of them, may look to move on to other FBS schools. If that's the way it plays out, then it really could create a big hole in their roster, a couple of years down the road. Again, I think it's really hard to predict how it will all play out. I'm sure that it's probably something they're concerned about though. If that happens, they could end up playing a bunch of freshmen and sophomores, their first couple of seasons in the BSC.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:20 am

Hawks86 wrote:A quick look on Rivals shows Idaho having mostly 2 star recruits with a few 3's mixed in. Most of them show Idaho as their only offer. Some of their top guys might get looks from FBS, but I don't see a mass transfer happening.
Also, any players that do leave, are likely to be among the best players on their roster. Losing several of their best players, along with having very small recruiting classes the next two years, could leave them in a pretty precarious situation when they join the BSC in 2018. It may take them a few years to rebuild their roster to the point of being a legitimate conference title/playoff contender. And speaking of playoffs, will they be ineligible for the same period of time that applies to D-II teams moving up to FCS? Again, there are lots of questions still to be answered, because this is an unprecedented move. Although, even though this may be the first FBS to FCS move, I suspect it won't be the last, There may be several schools following in their footsteps within the next few years. NMSU for sure, and U-Mass is apparently considering moving back down already, and they've been in FBS for just four years.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:23 am

Here's a link to a website that will be live streaming the Idaho press conference, which is scheduled for 11 am MST

http://www.uidaho.edu/news/ui-live

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:40 am

Normal transfer rules will apply. Sounded like they will transition for 2 years and be eligible for the playoffs when they start BSC in 2018? No need to cut any womens sports. Petrino didn't look that pleased. I don't think he would have been around in 2 years anyway. Maybe they'll promote Daly to head coach. 8)

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:43 am

Petrino's ego won't allow anything like FCS. Two more years of FBS then he will move on. Idaho will then hire a whole new staff at a much reduced salary. The job hunt is on for his assistants.

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:10 pm

Idaho's problem is they never should have moved up in the first place. If you look at the big picture, Moscow is a small town under 25,000 people and even if they would have had success and grown the program and fan base the community will still not have grown. There is like 5 or 6 motels to stay at, they probably average 100 rooms. So even if you fill all those with 2 fans each that's only 1200 people. You cant build more motels for people to stay 6 weekends a year. Pocatello is twice as big and its a hole as well. Boise has grown with all the California implants, the valley there probably has over half a million residents and a ton of bandwagon fans. I refer to bsu as north eastern California state. Just my opinion.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Normal transfer rules will apply. Sounded like they will transition for 2 years and be eligible for the playoffs when they start BSC in 2018? No need to cut any womens sports. Petrino didn't look that pleased. I don't think he would have been around in 2 years anyway. Maybe they'll promote Daly to head coach. 8)
They plan to be playoff-ineligible for the first 2 years (2018-19) to help ease the transition to 63 schollies.

3-7-77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 3-7-77 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:25 pm

St George wrote:Idaho's problem is they never should have moved up in the first place. If you look at the big picture, Moscow is a small town under 25,000 people and even if they would have had success and grown the program and fan base the community will still not have grown. There is like 5 or 6 motels to stay at, they probably average 100 rooms. So even if you fill all those with 2 fans each that's only 1200 people. You cant build more motels for people to stay 6 weekends a year. Pocatello is twice as big and its a hole as well. Boise has grown with all the California implants, the valley there probably has over half a million residents and a ton of bandwagon fans. I refer to bsu as north eastern California state. Just my opinion.
I've lived in the Treasure Valley and Pocatello. What you said rings true. Boise is definitely not part of Idaho. Never been to California, but I think I have a good idea having lived in the Boise area. Pocatello is a boring Mormon town, but the Pokey-Idaho Falls corridor has about 250,000 people. Why ISU isn't any better is a mystery. NC in '81, then PHYYYYTTTTTTT! Moscow trying to be Boise was stupidity. Like a geopgraphic parody of the movie "Twins(Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny DeVito).

"I'm just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass."

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:44 pm

3-7-77 wrote:
St George wrote:Idaho's problem is they never should have moved up in the first place. If you look at the big picture, Moscow is a small town under 25,000 people and even if they would have had success and grown the program and fan base the community will still not have grown. There is like 5 or 6 motels to stay at, they probably average 100 rooms. So even if you fill all those with 2 fans each that's only 1200 people. You cant build more motels for people to stay 6 weekends a year. Pocatello is twice as big and its a hole as well. Boise has grown with all the California implants, the valley there probably has over half a million residents and a ton of bandwagon fans. I refer to bsu as north eastern California state. Just my opinion.
I've lived in the Treasure Valley and Pocatello. What you said rings true. Boise is definitely not part of Idaho. Never been to California, but I think I have a good idea having lived in the Boise area. Pocatello is a boring Mormon town, but the Pokey-Idaho Falls corridor has about 250,000 people. Why ISU isn't any better is a mystery. NC in '81, then PHYYYYTTTTTTT! Moscow trying to be Boise was stupidity. Like a geopgraphic parody of the movie "Twins(Arnold Schwarzenegger, Danny DeVito).
On top of that, Pullman & Wazoo is less than 10 miles away. Which would you rather support, a Pac 12 team or a You Can't Be In Our Conference FBS team?

I for one am looking forward to having them in the Big Sky. It will be like the old days. Great regional rivalries.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:20 pm

I applaud the administration at Idaho for making the common sense decision to drop down. Those delusional boosters who think the Vandals could continue parading around as FBS will have hurt feelings for awhile....give them some time and they'll be back. I'm looking forward to seeing them back in the Big Sky.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:18 am

91catAlum wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:Normal transfer rules will apply. Sounded like they will transition for 2 years and be eligible for the playoffs when they start BSC in 2018? No need to cut any womens sports. Petrino didn't look that pleased. I don't think he would have been around in 2 years anyway. Maybe they'll promote Daly to head coach. 8)
They plan to be playoff-ineligible for the first 2 years (2018-19) to help ease the transition to 63 schollies.
I am sure that they are planning to be playoff eligible immediately upon entry into the Big Sky Conference. The 2 years mentioned is 2016 and 2017 of which they will still be FBS.
http://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootba ... l_joi.html
"By having the two years to get there we will make sure we are where we need to be scholarship wise so that first year we can go into the playoffs and be successful there," Idaho football coach Paul Petrino said.
Also in the press conference one of the guys mentioned they would be down to the FCS limit immediately upon entry into the Big Sky.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:24 am

Rich K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
I am sure that they are planning to be playoff eligible immediately upon entry into the Big Sky Conference. The 2 years mentioned is 2016 and 2017 of which they will still be FBS.
"By having the two years to get there we will make sure we are where we need to be scholarship wise so that first year we can go into the playoffs and be successful there," Idaho football coach Paul Petrino said.
Also in the press conference one of the guys mentioned they would be down to the FCS limit immediately upon entry into the Big Sky.
It doesn't really make any sense to me that if you move up to FCS from D-II, there's quite a lengthy probationary period, during which teams are ineligible for the playoffs, but if you move down from FBS, a team can be eligible immediately.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:45 am

There are no partial scholarships for football at the FBS level. Can't recall what the ceiling is for kids on partial scholarships at the FCS level (don't really care to look it up) but I believe it's over 90. Again, academic scholarships don't count for any sport. Even though their AD is an NAIA product, he must be reasonably smart as he's a Montana Tech product.

Highly unlikely the administration will cut the salary of the coaching staff simply because they're changing to FCS. There are more than a few FCS schools that pay better than Idaho now.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:16 am

Rich K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Not according to this article.
http://helenair.com/sports/college/big- ... a27d9.html
Fullerton has confirmed Idaho will likely require a two-year transitional period of postseason ineligibility in 2018 and 2019.