Krakauer book on um/grizz/msla...

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Krakauer book on um/grizz/msla...

Post by allcat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:53 pm

seataccat wrote:
PapaG wrote:[

I actually do care about Griz athletics, because my family is closely associated with them. You typed a lot of truth in this post, but don't expect BAC to respond to them.

He's more about dumb grudges on a message board than he is about reality.
I think BAC gets tired of posting a logical train of thought only to be responded to with the latest in right wing talking points parroted from cable TV or talk radio. I can't speak for him but I am sure he has a hard time taking most of the people on here serious as far as debating skills. Most have no idea when they've had there peckers drug through the dirt metaphorically and should put their tail between their legs and shut up. Ring a bell PapaG?
I think Papa goes overboard sometimes in antagonizing Bac. But logical train of thought? I find both have logical trains of thought, just on opposite tracks.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:52 pm

seataccat wrote:

I actually do care about Griz athletics, because my family is closely associated with them. You typed a lot of truth in this post, but don't expect BAC to respond to them.

I think BAC gets tired of posting a logical train of thought only to be responded to with the latest in right wing talking points parroted from cable TV or talk radio. I can't speak for him but I am sure he has a hard time taking most of the people on here serious as far as debating skills. Most have no idea when they've had there peckers drug through the dirt metaphorically and should put their tail between their legs and shut up. Ring a bell PapaG?
No, it doesn't ring a bell, whoever you are. I'm glad you care, though. :lol:

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:55 pm

allcat wrote: I think Papa goes overboard sometimes in antagonizing Bac. But logical train of thought? I find both have logical trains of thought, just on opposite tracks.
That's a fair assessment. It's a personal thing between BAC and me, and it entered this board when he was abusing his authority as a moderator to smear me on the Football board. Water under the bridge, though. He's a decent enough guy, and his now-wife is a sweet person. :D

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:04 pm

seataccat wrote:

I've thought about this post. You amaze me, first you try punching out Tampa with your little deleted tirade. Now you decide to essentially punch out anyone that does not agree with your sense of the world. Are you really this mad at the world in real life? Or do you just like picking fights?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:16 pm

PapaG wrote:
allcat wrote: I think Papa goes overboard sometimes in antagonizing Bac. But logical train of thought? I find both have logical trains of thought, just on opposite tracks.
That's a fair assessment. It's a personal thing between BAC and me, and it entered this board when he was abusing his authority as a moderator to smear me on the Football board. Water under the bridge, though. He's a decent enough guy, and his now-wife is a sweet person. :D
It's not a personal thing with me, and never was. I don't care one way or another. I used to consider you a friend based on our few in-person meet-ups at PSU games, but then you posted some things on facebook and on here that made it clear we weren't friends. You don't like me, and you presumably have your reasons for that -- I'm totally fine with that. I don't crave your affection on any level, so we're all good on that front.

And with that, I'm sure absolutely nobody gives a rat's arse about silly topics like this that distract from an otherwise healthy and informative discussion. I don't even care about silly tangents like this. So if it is fine by you, can we agree to never have this conversation, or one even remotely similar to it, ever again? Like, seriously, never ever again? Is this truly "water under the bridge," permanently? Can we now transition to being merely two trains of thought who may occasionally disagree (but will actually more often agree)? :wink:

seataccat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by seataccat » Sat May 02, 2015 6:56 pm

allcat wrote:
seataccat wrote:

I've thought about this post. You amaze me, first you try punching out Tampa with your little deleted tirade. Now you decide to essentially punch out anyone that does not agree with your sense of the world. Are you really this mad at the world in real life? Or do you just like picking fights?
Glad I amaze you... Tried to punch out tampa? I merely pointed out his blatant embellishment concerning his military record using his own posts.... I'm not mad at the world at all, I just have a low tolerance for military fakers. As far as Papag goes, nothing against him if you like to hear the latest in right wing talking points. They just don't usually make logical sense.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat May 02, 2015 9:14 pm

seataccat wrote:

Hmmm... That's interesting.

I think you've got your head up your arse.

Those of us that drag our peckers in the dirt do so upon our own free will... Because we can.

:coffee:

AlphaGriz1
Golden Bobcat

Post by AlphaGriz1 » Mon May 04, 2015 11:49 am

In my case its just nature................

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
www.maroonblood.com
www.championshipsubdivision.com

Sportin' Life
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Sportin' Life » Mon May 04, 2015 3:30 pm

The book is up to number three on the ny times bestseller list for nonfiction.

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-boo ... /list.html

"GD it, PETAns piss me off!
Were never gonna end up with a stupid eagle or a faggy bobcat as a mascot!"
Cartman

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Mon May 04, 2015 3:56 pm

Sportin' Life wrote:The book is up to number three on the ny times bestseller list for nonfiction.

I've had several friends who have no direct connection to the people/school/town involved (but know I am from Montana) ask me about it. It's touching a nerve nationally that I think most of us didn't really think about when we were viewing it as "just a local issue." It seems like it isn't so much a book about Missoula, but rather a book about an issue that impacts everywhere ... it just happens to use this "small college town in Montana" as a somewhat jarring backdrop for a discussion about the issue.

It's definitely a much bigger book nationally than I assumed it would be. I remember thinking that it would just touch on Missoula as one or two chapters when the idea was first coming out.

Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life » Mon May 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:
Sportin' Life wrote:The book is up to number three on the ny times bestseller list for nonfiction.

I've had several friends who have no direct connection to the people/school/town involved (but know I am from Montana) ask me about it. It's touching a nerve nationally that I think most of us didn't really think about when we were viewing it as "just a local issue." It seems like it isn't so much a book about Missoula, but rather a book about an issue that impacts everywhere ... it just happens to use this "small college town in Montana" as a somewhat jarring backdrop for a discussion about the issue.

It's definitely a much bigger book nationally than I assumed it would be. I remember thinking that it would just touch on Missoula as one or two chapters when the idea was first coming out.
Definitely Missoula in the book is a euphemism for Anytown, USA. I think we have been primed for this sort of book by controversial events (or non-events as the case may be) at UVA, Tallahassee, Steubenville, Duke, etc etc. Controversy sells and people want to know more about the issue. And the book really is pretty good, one ends up turning the page to find out what happens next -- even for me when I often did know what was coming.

One of the things I was going to say about the book was ,when everything was happening I read all that Florio wrote in the Missoulian about it all, but usually I ended up reading her articles two or three times and still kind of wondering what she was saying. I don't think it is a really an insult to say that someone's prose isn't as good as Krakauer's, but man Florio really isn't that great of a writer.

Cartman

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Tue May 05, 2015 8:17 am

Sportin' Life wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

Definitely Missoula in the book is a euphemism for Anytown, USA. I think we have been primed for this sort of book by controversial events (or non-events as the case may be) at UVA, Tallahassee, Steubenville, Duke, etc etc. Controversy sells and people want to know more about the issue. And the book really is pretty good, one ends up turning the page to find out what happens next -- even for me when I often did know what was coming.

One of the things I was going to say about the book was ,when everything was happening I read all that Florio wrote in the Missoulian about it all, but usually I ended up reading her articles two or three times and still kind of wondering what she was saying. I don't think it is a really an insult to say that someone's prose isn't as good as Krakauer's, but man Florio really isn't that great of a writer.
I didn't have a problem with her reporting and saw it as just that, reporting. A lot of grizz fans were upset with her for things like repeating the charge in each story, but that's a reporting fundamental. No matter how many times you write about something you still need to go back to the reason it's being reported on because some readers are reading it for the first time.

I think Krakauer made a smart move by staying away from his typical storytelling style, despite how much I like that style. This story tells itself and needs little help.

The story isn't over. I'd say it's midway through the third quarter. One of the main themes is encouraging rape victims to speak out. There's still the unanswered question about why Higher Ed ruled to give Johnson another university trial. Many of the key figures have yet to speak out. Pabst, who complained about this, refused to talk when given the opportunity.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue May 05, 2015 5:07 pm

Yup. I have the same ? Why another hearing and what was the logic used to overturn the U's decisions. Also does the reversal have the blessing of the whole board board of regents??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Griz
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by El Griz » Tue May 05, 2015 6:50 pm

77matcat wrote:Yup. I have the same ? Why another hearing and what was the logic used to overturn the U's decisions. Also does the reversal have the blessing of the whole board board of regents??

Was there another hearing? Or was the decision overturned within the bylaws? Also, if not reinstated, would he of been the first student to be found "not guilty" in the court law yet expelled by a Montana University? Who knows what could possibly come of that.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue May 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Questions questions.

Jobu
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Jobu » Tue May 05, 2015 7:03 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
Sportin' Life wrote:
Bay Area Cat wrote:

I didn't have a problem with her reporting and saw it as just that, reporting. A lot of grizz fans were upset with her for things like repeating the charge in each story, but that's a reporting fundamental. No matter how many times you write about something you still need to go back to the reason it's being reported on because some readers are reading it for the first time.

I think Krakauer made a smart move by staying away from his typical storytelling style, despite how much I like that style. This story tells itself and needs little help.

The story isn't over. I'd say it's midway through the third quarter. One of the main themes is encouraging rape victims to speak out. There's still the unanswered question about why Higher Ed ruled to give Johnson another university trial. Many of the key figures have yet to speak out. Pabst, who complained about this, refused to talk when given the opportunity.
Krakauer answers this question in the book. UM had not changed the language to the "preponderance of the evidence" standard as was outlined in the "Dear Colleague Letter" in their official student code of conduct. When the Panel used that level of evidence in the Johnson hearing, they were using a standard not yet legally in place.

My hunch is that the action by the Commissioner likey saved the State of Montana a large civil damage suit, one they most certainly could have lost (particularly in light of the trial verdict).

And if you believe Pabst, she was never given the opportunity to have an interview with JK. He simply sent her a list of questions to answer a matter of days before the book was released. And given that he never spoke to anyone at UM or in the MPD, that is likely the case.

Hats for bats. Keeps bats warm.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue May 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Thanks

I understand that the first vote by the jury had three votes for acquittal. Is that accurate???

Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life » Tue May 05, 2015 9:09 pm

77matcat wrote:Thanks

I understand that the first vote by the jury had three votes for acquittal. Is that accurate???

No, according to Krakauer's interview of a juror, after the first vote, "there were only three or four people who voted 'guilty.'"

Cartman

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Tue May 05, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks for correction.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Wed May 06, 2015 6:38 am

Isn't there a thing today in Missoula where JK will be speaking and answering questions? What I want to know.......how much security will he have on hand? I don't think one or two body guards will do it.