Bobby Petrino on Administrative Leave

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BDizzle
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Bobby Petrino on Administrative Leave

Post by BDizzle » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:22 pm

And now he is unemployed.

GO GRIZ!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Wow. I'm surprised.

They were saying on the Scott Van Pelt show that an AD in the SEC is more likely to get fired for dumping a winning football coach and hiring a loser than for retaining a winning coach who had an affair. I tend to agree with that logic.

Arkansas' AD really stuck his neck out on this one, IMO.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:25 pm

There are a lot of people in Helena that root for the Petrinos and a lot more that really want to root for them. Of course it's hard to feel sorry for the fans when his family has to really be hurting, but it's just a shame that someone from a small town can get this far, but not be able to become the Hometown Boy Makes Good. Helena hasn't had anyone as nationally popular as Petrino in a long, long time.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DaCats21 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:50 pm

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:04 pm

Geezuz this is stupid. I mean, I get the whole "the cover-up is worse than the crime" angle. No one likes being lied to. But if our society wasn't so hung-up on sex in the first place you wouldn't have to cover it up. I honestly fail to see the big deal in all this.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Its not about the affair, IMO. Its about the fact that he hired a woman he was sleeping with, over potentially more qualified people. Then he gave her $20,000 for an "undisclosed reason". Then, he lied to cover his ars, at first.

If it was only an affair, i seriously doubt he would have lost his job.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Its not about the affair, IMO. Its about the fact that he hired a woman he was sleeping with, over potentially more qualified people. Then he gave her $20,000 for an "undisclosed reason". Then, he lied to cover his ars, at first.

If it was only an affair, i seriously doubt he would have lost his job.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:56 pm

tampa_griz wrote:Geezuz this is stupid. I mean, I get the whole "the cover-up is worse than the crime" angle. No one likes being lied to. But if our society wasn't so hung-up on sex in the first place you wouldn't have to cover it up. I honestly fail to see the big deal in all this.
If we were all Mormon fundamentalists this would never have happened or mattered. :wink:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Grizlaw
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:57 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote: There may have been a conflict of interest in the hiring process. I don't see any on her part. She's in charge of athlete eligibility for the University, so she wants to do a good job, make sure all the players are eligible, and protect the school from NCAA sanctions. She's sleeping with the head football coach, so she wants to do a good job, make sure all the players are eligible, and protect the school from NCAA sanctions.
It must be nice living in an antiseptic utopia, where people always do the right thing. In the real world, I'm not sure it's as simple as you're trying to make it, though. If she's sleeping with the football coach, in addition to the motivations you listed, another priority of hers might be "making sure the guy she's sleeping with doesn't get into hot water." This could motivate her to look the other way (or help him cover something up) if he does do something wrong to help a player stay eligible. That's why there's a potential conflict of interest.

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:17 am

Grizlaw wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote: There may have been a conflict of interest in the hiring process. I don't see any on her part. She's in charge of athlete eligibility for the University, so she wants to do a good job, make sure all the players are eligible, and protect the school from NCAA sanctions. She's sleeping with the head football coach, so she wants to do a good job, make sure all the players are eligible, and protect the school from NCAA sanctions.
It must be nice living in an antiseptic utopia, where people always do the right thing. In the real world, I'm not sure it's as simple as you're trying to make it, though. If she's sleeping with the football coach, in addition to the motivations you listed, another priority of hers might be "making sure the guy she's sleeping with doesn't get into hot water." This could motivate her to look the other way (or help him cover something up) if he does do something wrong to help a player stay eligible. That's why there's a potential conflict of interest.
:lol:

I think people do the right thing? That's rich. I assume that people I don't know are corrupt and dishonest, and cannot be trusted at all. The reason I don't care about this is that you can't trust people at all to begin with, so the affair doesn't really change anything.

The possibility that this lady could cover up violations exists without the sex. Protecting the person who hired her is an equally possible motivation. I don't trust the lady to do right by the NCAA. Of course, I also don't care, since I think the NCAA is ridiculous.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:32 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:I think people do the right thing? That's rich. I assume that people I don't know are corrupt and dishonest, and cannot be trusted at all. The reason I don't care about this is that you can't trust people at all to begin with, so the affair doesn't really change anything.

The possibility that this lady could cover up violations exists without the sex. Protecting the person who hired her is an equally possible motivation. I don't trust the lady to do right by the NCAA. Of course, I also don't care, since I think the NCAA is ridiculous.
You would agree, though, that the affair creates an additional reason why she might be inclined to cover for him, yes?

I work as an attorney so that I can afford good scotch, which helps me to forget that I work as an attorney.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:45 am

Grizlaw wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:I think people do the right thing? That's rich. I assume that people I don't know are corrupt and dishonest, and cannot be trusted at all. The reason I don't care about this is that you can't trust people at all to begin with, so the affair doesn't really change anything.

You would agree, though, that the affair creates an additional reason why she might be inclined to cover for him, yes?
Not exactly. You can protect your employer by making sure they do the right thing, or by covering things up. You can protect your lover each of those ways, as well. The affair might amount to additional motivation whether she chooses to act honestly or dishonestly. Or it might not. If I cared about everyone I had sex with, I'd practically be a virgin.

Ultimately, the fact that she's a human person, and therefore dishonest, trumps any other actual reason for honesty or dishonesty.

-Trent King, Playmakers

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:07 am

Petrino blew it. I can't believe how stupid people can be when they get in a position of money and power. They think they can get away with anything. Eventually the truth comes out and I am a firm beliver in what goes around comes around.

I have to wonder if he will be able to coach at any level again. His past history seems sketchy as far as loyalty goes. The only thing I will give him is that he owned up to his mistakes and I hope he can get his family life back together.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:17 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:Not exactly. You can protect your employer by making sure they do the right thing, or by covering things up. You can protect your lover each of those ways, as well. The affair might amount to additional motivation whether she chooses to act honestly or dishonestly. Or it might not. If I cared about everyone I had sex with, I'd practically be a virgin.

Ultimately, the fact that she's a human person, and therefore dishonest, trumps any other actual reason for honesty or dishonesty.
Ahh, well that greatly simplifies things. "People are inherently dishonest, and will lie and cheat if they choose to, so any rule or standard we put in place is pointless anyway."

If everyone accepted your mantra, then about 99% of the rules imposed by any society could be done away with (since, presumably, you believe they don't alter peoples' behavior anyway).

catamaran

Post by catamaran » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:17 am

andy staples of si sums it up pretty well here
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... index.html

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:25 am

Grizlaw wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:Not exactly. You can protect your employer by making sure they do the right thing, or by covering things up. You can protect your lover each of those ways, as well. The affair might amount to additional motivation whether she chooses to act honestly or dishonestly. Or it might not. If I cared about everyone I had sex with, I'd practically be a virgin.

Ahh, well that greatly simplifies things. "People are inherently dishonest, and will lie and cheat if they choose to, so any rule or standard we put in place is pointless anyway."

If everyone accepted your mantra, then about 99% of the rules imposed by any society could be done away with (since, presumably, you believe they don't alter peoples' behavior anyway).
Well, I lean libertarian, so that suggestion doesn't bother me.

As long as people aren't raping, murdering, stealing, or planning any of those activities, I don't really care what they are doing.

As for the idea that rules don't alter behavior, most people will follow most rules if the rule is unobtrusive compared to the severity of the punishment. However, a rule against fraternization at the university level isn't going to prevent NCAA violations. I can't really believe you think it would.

-Trent King, Playmakers

Grizlaw

Post by Grizlaw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:34 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:As for the idea that rules don't alter behavior, most people will follow most rules if the rule is unobtrusive compared to the severity of the punishment. However, a rule against fraternization at the university level isn't going to prevent NCAA violations. I can't really believe you think it would.
I never said it would, at least not as a blanket matter. However, a rule against fraternization between those who might be tempted to bend NCAA rules and those who are responsible for making sure they don't bend such rules might prevent some violations from happening.

I'm not saying I favor rules against fraternization within organizations; I realize there are pros and cons to these types of policies. I'm not even sure I would favor such a rule in this case, and from everything that Arkansas has said about the firing, it appears that the reason for it was the alleged improprieties in the hiring process, and not the relationship itself. But you said, without any qualification, that there is no conflict of interest here, and I'm just illustrating why there could be.

AlphaOAlum
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by AlphaOAlum » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 am

It's not about the sex. It's not about football.

It's about how Petrino's involvement in Dorell's hiring opens the University to litigation from any of the other 200 applicants for the position who have a wrongful discrimination case because they weren't having an inappropriate relationship with someone on the hiring committee. It's also about lying to your employer.

Wanna know who I feel bad for? All the assistant coaches and their families. Most of these guys live on 3 month contracts, and it's possible they will now be out of work as of July 1. Pretty tough to find a coaching gig in July. Petrino's actions put probably 50 people in a difficult situation. What an ass.

First rule of being a responsible, married adult: keep your pants on!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 am

i always find it facinating how different people can be so different in their views. i think we all agree that murder and rape are very bad. i haven't heard anyone justify those actions. but it is so interesting to me that some people think that stealing is so terrible, but cheating on a husbad or wife is no big deal. like i touched on last week....it's not the sex. it's the complete disrespect for your partner, your family, your friends, and anyone who may know you. this guy is shattering his family right now. and he ruined the lives of many people. the real victims in this besides his wife and children are all the members of his staff that are about to ose their jobs too because of the selfishness of one guy.

my only line of thought is maybe some of you haven't been personally effected by a family member cheating. while i have been lucky in my own family, i have seen firsthand cheating completely destroy families. i have seen kids kill themselves after learning their mother was leading a double life. I have seen kids grow up in totally dysfunctional homes because a father thought it was "no big deal" that he left his family for another woman.

many people are effected in all of this....not just petrino. as i said, if it was just sex like some of you are acting like it is...it wouldn't be a big deal. but it's not. it's lying. it's deceitful. it shows lack of class, and lack of integrity. unless your wives are swingers and open to multiple partners, cheating is wrong. otherwise why would he hide it? :-s

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:04 am

ILTC: My argument was not really about whether it's right or wrong. Ultimately, my view is just that it shouldn't be news or grounds for dismissal.

I'm also amused by this idea that married people respect each other. That idea doesn't come anywhere close to matching the reality experienced by the vast majority of married people I know.
Grizlaw wrote:I never said it would, at least not as a blanket matter. However, a rule against fraternization between those who might be tempted to bend NCAA rules and those who are responsible for making sure they don't bend such rules might prevent some violations from happening.
I disagree. I think it might change the distribution of the violations, but wouldn't reduce it. For every young employee who bent the rules to cover for an older lover, you'd get an insecure older coach who avoids violations because he doesn't want to frustrate and lose his younger lover. In a relationship between a 50 year old guy and a 25 year old woman, the woman often has a lot of soft power, if she knows how to use it.
Grizlaw wrote:I'm not saying I favor rules against fraternization within organizations; I realize there are pros and cons to these types of policies. I'm not even sure I would favor such a rule in this case, and from everything that Arkansas has said about the firing, it appears that the reason for it was the alleged improprieties in the hiring process, and not the relationship itself. But you said, without any qualification, that there is no conflict of interest here, and I'm just illustrating why there could be.
There isn't. It is ultimately in this woman's interest to keep the program clean whether or not she's sleeping with the coach. That's what's best for both her and the coach in the long run.

What you're trying to argue is that the affair introduces an additional likelihood that the woman will act against her own interest. I can see where that idea comes from if you're looking for it. People see what they want to see, and our puritan culture trains us to see sex as evil.

-Trent King, Playmakers