Bobby Petrino on Administrative Leave

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Bobcat Sig
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Bobby Petrino on Administrative Leave

Post by Bobcat Sig » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:10 am

AlphaOAlum wrote:It's not about the sex. It's not about football.

It's about how Petrino's involvement in Dorell's hiring opens the University to litigation from any of the other 200 applicants for the position who have a wrongful discrimination case because they weren't having an inappropriate relationship with someone on the hiring committee. It's also about lying to your employer.

Wanna know who I feel bad for? All the assistant coaches and their families. Most of these guys live on 3 month contracts, and it's possible they will now be out of work as of July 1. Pretty tough to find a coaching gig in July. Petrino's actions put probably 50 people in a difficult situation. What an ass.

First rule of being a responsible, married adult: keep your pants on!
Pretty much this.

Homeslice lied about the relationship with that girl, lied to the AD, covered up the motorcycle wreck, game that same girl money, broke up her impending nuptials and screwed over the lot of his coaching staff.

But you know who is probably the happiest about all this? The NCAA. For the first time in a while, they aren't going after a school or coach for improper benefits or recruiting violations.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:17 am

ilovethecats wrote:i always find it facinating how different people can be so different in their views. i think we all agree that murder and rape are very bad. i haven't heard anyone justify those actions. but it is so interesting to me that some people think that stealing is so terrible, but cheating on a husbad or wife is no big deal. like i touched on last week....it's not the sex. it's the complete disrespect for your partner, your family, your friends, and anyone who may know you. this guy is shattering his family right now. and he ruined the lives of many people. the real victims in this besides his wife and children are all the members of his staff that are about to ose their jobs too because of the selfishness of one guy.

my only line of thought is maybe some of you haven't been personally effected by a family member cheating. while i have been lucky in my own family, i have seen firsthand cheating completely destroy families. i have seen kids kill themselves after learning their mother was leading a double life. I have seen kids grow up in totally dysfunctional homes because a father thought it was "no big deal" that he left his family for another woman.

many people are effected in all of this....not just petrino. as i said, if it was just sex like some of you are acting like it is...it wouldn't be a big deal. but it's not. it's lying. it's deceitful. it shows lack of class, and lack of integrity. unless your wives are swingers and open to multiple partners, cheating is wrong. otherwise why would he hide it? :-s
Agreed 100%! He's a great coach, but he really sucks at cheating at anything. He screwed up trying to get the Auburn job, screwed up screwing over Atlanta, and screwed up cheating on his wife (out riding a Harley with her in your hometown?), screwed up hiring his mistress, wow.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:41 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
I'm also amused by this idea that married people respect each other. That idea doesn't come anywhere close to matching the reality experienced by the vast majority of married people I know.
:lol:

well this explains a lot. just out of curiousity....are you married? :shock:

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:48 am

ilovethecats wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
I'm also amused by this idea that married people respect each other. That idea doesn't come anywhere close to matching the reality experienced by the vast majority of married people I know.

Thank God no.

I really wanted to get married and have a family until I was about 19 or 20, and all the people all around me started doing it. I saw what their lives turned into and decided I didn't want that.

I've since come around a little on the idea of kids, in theory, but in practice I'm (clearly) way too cynical to raise kids. If I ever come around on marriage, that's how my friends will know I've completely lost it and it's time to get me institutionalized.

Humans are not monogamous for life. It's never been the way we're wired and it's no longer the way we act. So to me, when people don't act the way people don't and can't reasonably be expected to act, that isn't newsworthy.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

AlphaOAlum
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by AlphaOAlum » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:03 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:

Thank God no.

I really wanted to get married and have a family until I was about 19 or 20, and all the people all around me started doing it. I saw what their lives turned into and decided I didn't want that.

I've since come around a little on the idea of kids, in theory, but in practice I'm (clearly) way too cynical to raise kids. If I ever come around on marriage, that's how my friends will know I've completely lost it and it's time to get me institutionalized.

Humans are not monogamous for life. It's never been the way we're wired and it's no longer the way we act. So to me, when people don't act the way people don't and can't reasonably be expected to act, that isn't newsworthy.
I'm not asking this to flame you, but how old are you? Because I seriously felt the same way into my early 20's. I had friends get married at 19 or 20, and their relationships were a joke. I felt like, if that's what marriage is, I wanted no part of it. Surprise, surprise, all of them are divorced now.

And then I matured a little. Met a great guy (I'm a female poster, in case you didn't know) with whom I have fun, share points of view and hobbies, and argue fairly with. Our relationship totally changed my perception of how marriage could be. Believe me, no one is more shocked than I am to have gotten married before 35 years old. I'm just saying, it's possible that you haven't seen what a good marriage can look like yet.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:04 am

good explanation. i respect your opinion and it makes it easier to understand where you are coming from.

i come from the opposite. i have seen just how amazing the values of marriage and family can be. my grandparents recently celebrated their 80th anniversary. my parents their 35th. i'm approaching my 8th and can't imagine doing anything to jeopardize my wife and kids. almost all of the people in my extended family or close friendships have had very good marriages. as i mentioned, i have seen some rough ones too.

in the end, my opinion doesn't stem so much from marriage itself. it just stems from all those who can be hurt so bad by stupid decisions like these. and it points to a severe lack of character which i think you don't want running your football team or business. if his wife and kids mean so little....do you really think he has the integrity to care about his players and staff? clearly not. he thought about one person and one person only and i simply can't respect that.

thanks for the reply. good discussion.

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:09 am

I don't know how old you are, but I'm assuming you're not quite up where I am yet. I didn't get married until I was about 35, and that was perfect for me. I got to have all of my wild and crazy single fun until I was almost past my prime and I had time to get an idea of what I really, truly wanted from a person I was to grow old with, and I was then lucky enough to find a person who was a great fit for me.

If you were seeing people who were 19 and 20 getting married and basing your judgement on those relationships, you might be seeing a skewed data set. In most cases, it probably isn't a good idea to get married that soon, as most people probably don't know themselves well enough to know when they've found the one they really can commit for life to (although many do, obviously).

And, to be blunt, as you age, getting laid by every attractive woman you see becomes less and less of a motivation in one's life (for most guys, anyway), as so many other priorities take up one's time and energy, so maybe that's the key to a happy marriage. :wink:

But I completely respect those people who choose not to get married and/or choose not to have kids. If that's what they've decided will make them the most happy, then that's the right answer for them. I have lots of friends in their 40s who are single and childless and loving life. Many days, I envy them greatly (on those days when the grass is greener). :D

As for Petrino, I agree that it's not shocking that a guy would think with his Johnson, especially a guy who is getting old and is maybe starting to feel really insecure about the whole "one day closer to death and one day further from my youth" thing. But he also had accepted (and been rewarded in a huge way) responsibility for a huge football program (and the big business that comes with it), and he violated their trust and failed in his responsibilities to them in a huge way, and for that he deserves to be punished as he was.

TIrwin24

Post by TIrwin24 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:24 pm

I feel sorry for the people that you know.

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
i come from the opposite. i have seen just how amazing the values of marriage and family can be. my grandparents recently celebrated their 80th anniversary. my parents their 35th. i'm approaching my 8th and can't imagine doing anything to jeopardize my wife and kids. almost all of the people in my extended family or close friendships have had very good marriages. as i mentioned, i have seen some rough ones too.
:oops:

surprised no one commented on this little ditty. meant to say they are IN their eighties and just celebrated their 60th anniversary! still impressive.

#-o

bobcatmaniac
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bobcatmaniac » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:11 pm

I was thinking about it, but I see people close to one hundred once in a while...

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:34 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:I really wanted to get married and have a family until I was about 19 or 20, and all the people all around me started doing it. I saw what their lives turned into and decided I didn't want that.

Amen! I just reached my mid-30s and still have no desire to be married. A lot of my friends and family are in what appear to be "good" marriages. But I still haven't seen one that would make me want that for my life. I just don't get it. The only sole purpose I see for getting married is raising children. We obviously need more people and two parents are often the best situation for kids. Beyond that?.....I just don't see the attraction.

Once upon a time, a prince asked a beautiful princess: “Will you marry me?” The princess said NO and the prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and banged cute skinny girls and hunted and raced cars and went to naked bars and dated women half his age and drank beer, jack daniel’s and captain morgan and drank the milk from the box and never heard bitching and went to rock concerts and kept his apartment and his favorite jeans and never got cheated on while working and all his family and friends thought he was cool as hell and had tons of money and left the toilet seat up.

The end.

tdub
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by tdub » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:31 pm

tampa_griz wrote:
BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:I really wanted to get married and have a family until I was about 19 or 20, and all the people all around me started doing it. I saw what their lives turned into and decided I didn't want that.

Amen! I just reached my mid-30s and still have no desire to be married. A lot of my friends and family are in what appear to be "good" marriages. But I still haven't seen one that would make me want that for my life. I just don't get it. The only sole purpose I see for getting married is raising children. We obviously need more people and two parents are often the best situation for kids. Beyond that?.....I just don't see the attraction.

Once upon a time, a prince asked a beautiful princess: “Will you marry me?” The princess said NO and the prince lived happily ever after and rode motorcycles and banged cute skinny girls and hunted and raced cars and went to naked bars and dated women half his age and drank beer, jack daniel’s and captain morgan and drank the milk from the box and never heard bitching and went to rock concerts and kept his apartment and his favorite jeans and never got cheated on while working and all his family and friends thought he was cool as hell and had tons of money and left the toilet seat up.

The end.
...BUT the prince didn't have anyone to cook his dinner, scrub his dishes, do his laundry, mop the floors, and generally do what women are suppos...........OH S#!T here comes my wife. Gotta go.

Gold medals aren't really made of gold. They're made of sweat, determination, and a hard-to-find alloy called guts. - Dan Gable

SonomaCat

Post by SonomaCat » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:54 pm

tampa: Yep, that's the kind of stuff I envy sometimes. Sometimes. :D

Enjoy the hell out of your life -- that's what it's for. If doing what you're doing works for you, keep doing it. Everybody has their own script, and I definitely agree that the "normal" path that society seems to want to impose on everyone simply isn't for everyone.

Just to drop a little book talk into this, the book "The Moral Animal" is probably an interesting one to many people relating to this topic. It speaks to the "not monogamous" thing in a lot of depth.

tampa_griz
Golden Bobcat

Post by tampa_griz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Bay Area Cat wrote:tampa: Yep, that's the kind of stuff I envy sometimes. Sometimes. :D

Enjoy the hell out of your life -- that's what it's for. If doing what you're doing works for you, keep doing it. Everybody has their own script, and I definitely agree that the "normal" path that society seems to want to impose on everyone simply isn't for everyone.

Just to drop a little book talk into this, the book "The Moral Animal" is probably an interesting one to many people relating to this topic. It speaks to the "not monogamous" thing in a lot of depth.
Ha! I used to be completely against the idea of getting married (for myself). Now, it's more of "It's not a priority but we'll see what happens" kind of feeling. the real downside to not marrying and not having kids is that your friends get younger and younger. When boardgame night comes around, everyone wants me on their team given my knowledge of 90s pop culture. A team of six people once answered "The Rolling Stones?" to "Who was Bruce Springsteen's backup band?". Yep, that happened.

CapitalCityCat
Member # Retired

Post by CapitalCityCat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:10 pm

AlphaOAlum wrote: Wanna know who I feel bad for? All the assistant coaches and their families. Most of these guys live on 3 month contracts, and it's possible they will now be out of work as of July 1. Pretty tough to find a coaching gig in July. Petrino's actions put probably 50 people in a difficult situation. What an ass.
+1 included in those ranks are several former Carroll College alumni whom trusted in Bobby to employ them at a national contending program like Arkansas.... Paul Petrino, Kris Cinkovich, Chris Klenakis, Kevin Peoples, and Jason Veltkamp.

Retiring my moniker. It's time to ride off into the sunset. It's been a fun ride. Go Cats.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:44 am

CapitalCityCat wrote:
AlphaOAlum wrote: Wanna know who I feel bad for? All the assistant coaches and their families. Most of these guys live on 3 month contracts, and it's possible they will now be out of work as of July 1. Pretty tough to find a coaching gig in July. Petrino's actions put probably 50 people in a difficult situation. What an ass.
+1 included in those ranks are several former Carroll College alumni whom trusted in Bobby to employ them at a national contending program like Arkansas.... Paul Petrino, Kris Cinkovich, Chris Klenakis, Kevin Peoples, and Jason Veltkamp.
yep. these were the guys I was considering when i discussed what a debacle this whole thing was. petrino is a loser. or a "thug" if we're being honest.... :D

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Would you look at that:
http://www.arkansassports360.com/30743/ ... -documents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.