Griz take a Stitt

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

webdav
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Griz take a Stitt

Post by webdav » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:03 am

His best quality: He's not Bobby.

Seriously, he seems to be a good choice to carry on what Coach Delaney has built.

I hope he proves me right and I can continue to have respect for the head coach of the Griz.

Delaney was a class act, I hope Stitt follows suit.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:55 am

catatac wrote:
Silenoz wrote:We ran a hybrid offense in 2010 when we were stuck with Roper/Selle at QB

In 2011, it was a completely no-huddle, zone-read, zero TOP, imitating-Oregon offense. The defense wasn't too shabby either, only giving up 30+ in our 3 losses. It was no NDSU, but it was one of the stronger units in the playoffs.
Ok, thanks for the clarification... I do remember that "stagger" year in there and Griz Nation obviously not begin happy with Roper. At any rate, I just glanced at the defensive stats for the Griz and the Cats in 2011.... Griz gave up just over 20 points per game, Cats gave up just over 22. Damn close.
Wait a minute...you mean the Griz defense didn't necessarily suck in 2011, just because they ran a fast paced offense? I thought those two things always went hand in hand?? And here I completely bought the theory that our offense was responsible for the defense being next to last in the BSC. I'm very confused!! :wink:

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:07 am

So there's an opening at CSM now. Seems like MSU recruits a lot of engineers. I wonder if there's anybody on our staff applying for that job.

grizatwork
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by grizatwork » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:00 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:So there's an opening at CSM now. Seems like MSU recruits a lot of engineers. I wonder if there's anybody on our staff applying for that job.
You wish. Marshall is all yours.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:25 pm

grizatwork wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:So there's an opening at CSM now. Seems like MSU recruits a lot of engineers. I wonder if there's anybody on our staff applying for that job.
You wish. Marshall is all yours.
[-o<

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:04 pm

John K wrote:
catatac wrote:
Silenoz wrote:We ran a hybrid offense in 2010 when we were stuck with Roper/Selle at QB

In 2011, it was a completely no-huddle, zone-read, zero TOP, imitating-Oregon offense. The defense wasn't too shabby either, only giving up 30+ in our 3 losses. It was no NDSU, but it was one of the stronger units in the playoffs.
Ok, thanks for the clarification... I do remember that "stagger" year in there and Griz Nation obviously not begin happy with Roper. At any rate, I just glanced at the defensive stats for the Griz and the Cats in 2011.... Griz gave up just over 20 points per game, Cats gave up just over 22. Damn close.
Wait a minute...you mean the Griz defense didn't necessarily suck in 2011, just because they ran a fast paced offense? I thought those two things always went hand in hand?? And here I completely bought the theory that our offense was responsible for the defense being next to last in the BSC. I'm very confused!! :wink:
Ha ha... touche! That is actually a good point, that I think reinforces what you, or 99, or someone posted earlier... which is, if you have a phenomenal, deep defense to begin with, the shift in offensive philosophy to running 80 ppg versus 50 isn't going to impact your defensive stats as much as if you had a marginal D to begin with. :shock: Unfortunately I think it kinda looks like that was the case with the 2014 Bobcats. :evil:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:29 pm

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video of press conference (Stitt introduction) today if you care. HINT: If you don't care don't click on it. Seems like he's motivated and sincere. Doesn't sound like he plans on coming here and totally changing our game plans and starting from scratch. Hopefully he will find a happy medium with the existing players, recruits and staff he is retaining. We shall see how long the hiccups last.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 pm

GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:

Video of press conference (Stitt introduction) today if you care. HINT: If you don't care don't click on it. Seems like he's motivated and sincere. Doesn't sound like he plans on coming here and totally changing our game plans and starting from scratch. Hopefully he will find a happy medium with the existing players, recruits and staff he is retaining. We shall see how long the hiccups last.
I think he did a good job at retaining the defensive coordinator. The Griz D has always been very impressive under him. On a quick edit, and correct me if I am wrong on the length, Colter mentioned in a tweet today that it was the first time in a century that UM went outside the "family" to hire. I thought that to be very interesting. Do you think that was a smart move?

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Griznationalist
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Griznationalist » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:29 pm

Common Cat wrote:
GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:

I think he did a good job at retaining the defensive coordinator. The Griz D has always been very impressive under him. On a quick edit, and correct me if I am wrong on the length, Colter mentioned in a tweet today that it was the first time in a century that UM went outside the "family" to hire. I thought that to be very interesting. Do you think that was a smart move?
First time in a century to hire outside the "family?" What were Larry Donovan's or Don Read's connections to UM before they got the HC jobs in '79 and '86? Nada. I can think of more, but there are two quick ones for starters in recent memory. :no:

GRIZ1STCATS2ND
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GRIZ1STCATS2ND » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:58 pm

Common Cat wrote:
GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:

Not sure where he was coming from with that one. Likely meant extended, extended, extended family. I think it's a risky move with the potential of a huge payoff. (Not essentially risky hiring outside of the family but hiring Stitt) Leipold was my favorite a while back until he got scooped up.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:06 pm

Griznationalist wrote:
Common Cat wrote:
GRIZ1STCATS2ND wrote:

First time in a century to hire outside the "family?" What were Larry Donovan's or Don Read's connections to UM before they got the HC jobs in '79 and '86? Nada. I can think of more, but there are two quick ones for starters in recent memory. :no:
Well thanks for the correction :-) I thought it was a weird tweet (and I probably misquoted Colter), but I didn't know much about the lineage of the Grizzly coaches.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:04 pm

Filter does not like this hire. Almost boarding on not being objective. Time will tell if he is right. I am excited.

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:38 pm

GRZZ wrote:Filter does not like this hire. Almost boarding on not being objective. Time will tell if he is right. I am excited.
Filter must be a nickname for Colter?

GRZZ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by GRZZ » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:41 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
GRZZ wrote:Filter does not like this hire. Almost boarding on not being objective. Time will tell if he is right. I am excited.
Colter...fat fingers, small phone... :-({|=

“I think I've heard every coach that's coached against the Grizzlies this year sit up here and say, ‘You know, we're better than those guys, and we can beat those guys,' ” said Kramer. “You know what? The truth is you ain't. So shut. The heck. Up.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:51 pm

GRZZ wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Where did Colter say he doesn't like this hire?

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:52 pm

[cat_bracket] wrote:
GRZZ wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
Where did Colter say he doesn't like this hire?
You could infer that from his Twitter.

golden77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by golden77 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:04 pm

Bob Stitt seems like a pretty classy guy and he seems like he has a pretty good offensive mind. What seems kind of odd to me is that in 14 seasons in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference he has only won 2 conference titles. I know there is a lot of excitement in Missoula about his recent hiring but 2 titles in 14 years doesn't exactly jump out and say watch out Big Sky Conference, here come the Griz.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:02 am

golden77 wrote:Bob Stitt seems like a pretty classy guy and he seems like he has a pretty good offensive mind. What seems kind of odd to me is that in 14 seasons in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference he has only won 2 conference titles. I know there is a lot of excitement in Missoula about his recent hiring but 2 titles in 14 years doesn't exactly jump out and say watch out Big Sky Conference, here come the Griz.
Ya, that's my take on it as well. You hear a lot of Griz fans doing the sell job, "Ya but, he did pretty good there and he was only allowed to recruit engineers.", or "The only reason he's never moved up is because he was waiting for the perfect job." Really? UM is the perfect job? Maybe if you want your house burned down when you don't win the chipper the first year.

The guy seems like a good dude. Personable, seems smart, great football mind. He invented the fly sweep and he's gonna run 90 plays per game. That's pretty much all we know. I think it's going to be a big eye opener for him and Griz nation transitioning to D1 football. It seems like a very risky hire for them, especially now that I found out that he's going to be the OC and the HC... and they're going to have a "defensive quality control" guy, whatever that means, assume he's bringing in his guy to oversee Gregorak?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:27 am

golden77 wrote:Bob Stitt seems like a pretty classy guy and he seems like he has a pretty good offensive mind. What seems kind of odd to me is that in 14 seasons in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference he has only won 2 conference titles. I know there is a lot of excitement in Missoula about his recent hiring but 2 titles in 14 years doesn't exactly jump out and say watch out Big Sky Conference, here come the Griz.
For whatever it's worth, Stitt's record at Colorado Mines is very similar to Ash's record at Drake. In 15 years at Colorado Mines, Stitt was 83-44 in conference games, with three RMAC titles. In 14 years at Drake, Ash was 41-23 in conference game, and won four PFL titles. Just like Stitt, Ash had a very good record, but his teams didn't exactly dominate their league either. And while the PFL is technically in a higher division than the RMAC, I would say that the level of play in a lower tier, non-schollie FCS conference, is approximately the same as an upper tier D-II conference.

[cat_bracket]
Golden Bobcat

Post by [cat_bracket] » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:09 pm

John K wrote:
For whatever it's worth, Stitt's record at Colorado Mines is very similar to Ash's record at Drake. In 15 years at Colorado Mines, Stitt was 83-44 in conference games, with three RMAC titles. In 14 years at Drake, Ash was 41-23 in conference game, and won four PFL titles. Just like Stitt, Ash had a very good record, but his teams didn't exactly dominate their league either. And while the PFL is technically in a higher division than the RMAC, I would say that the level of play in a lower tier, non-schollie FCS conference, is approximately the same as an upper tier D-II conference.
Then they should be as excited as we were when Ash was hired. Which was not very. A lot of grizz fans get excited and hype everything they do, then brush anything anyone else does as nothing substantial.