PSU Paid Attendance.....809!!

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

PSU Paid Attendance.....809!!

Post by Catfanatic84 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Hard to believe, but the paid attendance at last week's PSU game was less than a thousand....I remember the days when they were D2 and drew 14k a game......

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... _most-read" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Re: PSU Paid Attendance.....809!!

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 pm

It wasn't that long ago that we weren't getting much more than that.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

rtb

Post by rtb » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 pm

DAMN! It doesn't look good for them having a program next year. I've been waiting several years for the Cats to make the trip back to Portland. It's such a fun road game and a convenient drive for me to boot. I hope there is some way that PSU can hang on, but it doesn't look good.

Randy B. - MSU '04 Image

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:16 am

rtb wrote:DAMN! It doesn't look good for them having a program next year. I've been waiting several years for the Cats to make the trip back to Portland. It's such a fun road game and a convenient drive for me to boot. I hope there is some way that PSU can hang on, but it doesn't look good.
I agree. It's the best road trip in the Big Sky. I hope they hang on too, but when it comes to higher education, there are tight budgets...and then there's Portland State. Unless they can get a sugar daddy I'm very afraid their football program's days are numbered. Maybe Paul Allen needs a place to park some money.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:It wasn't that long ago that we weren't getting much more than that.

When was that?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 am

TomCat88 wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:It wasn't that long ago that we weren't getting much more than that.

When was that?
I could look it up but I think in 2000-01 there was only a couple K at some of the games

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:58 am

LongTimeCatFan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

When was that?
I could look it up but I think in 2000-01 there was only a couple K at some of the games
In 2000 (the 0-11 year) we drew less than 8000 per game for the year, That was the lowest since probably the sixties. That year was especially low because of the Cal-State Northridge game. It was played in a blizzard so bad you could not see the other side of the stadium. I believe the announced attendance was 790.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:00 pm

gtapp wrote:
LongTimeCatFan wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

When was that?
In 2000 (the 0-11 year) we drew less than 8000 per game for the year, That was the lowest since probably the sixties. That year was especially low because of the Cal-State Northridge game. It was played in a blizzard so bad you could not see the other side of the stadium. I believe the announced attendance was 790.
Thanks. That year was a little "foggy" for me. :lol:

Weltercat
Member # Retired

Post by Weltercat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:48 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:Hard to believe, but the paid attendance at last week's PSU game was less than a thousand....I remember the days when they were D2 and drew 14k a game......

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... _most-read" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They use to regularly outdraw both the ducks and the beavers back in the 70's or early 80's.

"The conservation of natural resources is the fundamental problem. Unless we solve that problem it will avail us little to solve all others." Theodore Roosevelt

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Portland metro population, 2,600,000+. PSU 2014 fall enrollment, 29,000+. 809 paid attendance :bs:. Shame on Portland. Baseball's gone. Never will be an NFL town. Allen should move his basketball team to Seattle.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Portlandia is a soccer town, they can have it........ :-^

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:16 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:Portlandia is a soccer town, they can have it........ :-^
Portland is a very cool city, but to kick out a AAA baseball team, in favor of soccer, is seriously effed up.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:56 pm

Watched a little of the game and I thought it looked like a HS crowd. At a small HS.

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:42 pm

John K wrote:
Portland is a very cool city, but to kick out a AAA baseball team, in favor of soccer, is seriously effed up.
The Portland Timbers have never not had a sell out in a regular season MLS game in their MLS history. Soccer is huge in the Pacific Northwest. It's working out pretty well for them.

vike_king
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by vike_king » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:57 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
The Portland Timbers have never not had a sell out in a regular season MLS game in their MLS history. Soccer is huge in the Pacific Northwest. It's working out pretty well for them.
I am happy for them, soccer still blows!

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

Bobcat Sig

Post by Bobcat Sig » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:Portland metro population, 2,600,000+. PSU 2014 fall enrollment, 29,000+. 809 paid attendance :bs:. Shame on Portland. Baseball's gone. Never will be an NFL town. Allen should move his basketball team to Seattle.
You've never been to Portland, have you? The Blazers are beloved and have a devoted following that mimics the Ducks.

People don't attend Vikings games because most of the students are commuter types who live in the burbs. There's very little in terms of a cohesive campus; much of it blends into the city. On any give Saturday, your potential base of attendees are at a Ducks, Beavers or are doing some other, non-football activity. Portland is hipster mecca.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:54 pm

vike_king wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
At the risk of agreeing with you...yes, soccer does blow. It blows harder than the wind in Chester...or even Sunburst.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:10 pm

John K wrote:
vike_king wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
John K wrote:
At the risk of agreeing with you...yes, soccer does blow. It blows harder than the wind in Chester...or even Sunburst.
Both of those places have nothing on Livingston, my hometown:

WIND EXTREMES (MPH)

Based on ASOS data from reporting airports, 2000-2010

Highest Average Annual Wind Speeds

1. Guadalupe Pass AMOS TX 18.4
2. Livingston AP MT 14.0
3. Clines Corners NM 13.9
4. Sandberg CA 13.6
5. Clinton-Sherman AP OK 12.9
6. Amarillo Int AP TX 12.7
7. Dodge City AP KS 12.6
8. San Nicolas Island NAS CA 12.5
9. Buffalo AMOS SD 12.4
10. Cut Bank AP MT 12.4
11. Faith Muni AP SD 12.4
12. Hobart Muni AP OK 12.4
13. Nantucket AP MA 12.3
14. Clayton Muni AP NM 12.3
15. Blue Hills Observatory MA 12.3
16. Russell Muni Ap KS 12.3
17. Garden city AP KS 12.2
18. Rawlins AP WY 12.1
19. Akron Regional AP CO 12.0
20. Cheyenne AP WY 12.0
21. Goodland Muni AP KS 12.0
22. Burlington AP CO 12.0

Highest Annual Avg Daily Peak Gust Number of Days with Peak Gust >= 30 mph

1. Guadalupe Pass AMOS TX 40.6 1. Guadalupe Pass AMOS TX 301
2. Livingston AP MT 36.2 2. Livingston AP MT 241
3. Rawlins AP WY 33.6 3. Rawlins AP WY 236
4. Clines Corners NM 33.3 4. Laramie AP WY 232
5. Sandberg CA 33.1 5. Clines Corners NM 224
6. Laramie AP WY 32.9 6. Rock Springs AP WY 220
7. Cheyenne AP WY 32.7 7. Sandberg CA 215
8. Rock Springs AP WY 32.2 8. Cheyenne AP WY 209
9. Cut Bank AP MT 32.1 9. Ellicott-Bullseye CO 208
10. Ellicott-Bullseye CO 31.8 10. Cut Bank AP MT 203
11. Las Vegas Muni AP NM 31.5 11. Casper AP WY 197
12. Casper AP WY 31.2 12. Edwards AFB-N Aux CA 197
13. Buffalo AMOS SD 30.9 13. Las Vegas Muni AP NM 196
14. Clayton Muni AP NM 30.5 14. Lancaster Ap CA 187
15. Dalhart Muni AP TX 30.5 15. Dalhart Muni AP TX 185
16. Douglas AP WY 30.1 16. Clayton Muni AP NM 184
17. Raton Muni Ap NM 30.0 17. Buffalo SD 182
18. Sidney Muni AP NE 30.0 18. Douglas AP WY 181
19. Springfield AP CO 30.0 19. Raton Muni AP NM 178
20. Tucumcari Muni AP NM 30.0 20. Tucumcari Muni AP NM 177

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: PSU Paid Attendance.....809

Post by Mr Lisle » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:58 am

Bobcat Sig wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:Portland metro population, 2,600,000+. PSU 2014 fall enrollment, 29,000+. 809 paid attendance :bs:. Shame on Portland. Baseball's gone. Never will be an NFL town. Allen should move his basketball team to Seattle.
You've never been to Portland, have you? The Blazers are beloved and have a devoted following that mimics the Ducks.

People don't attend Vikings games because most of the students are commuter types who live in the burbs. There's very little in terms of a cohesive campus; much of it blends into the city. On any give Saturday, your potential base of attendees are at a Ducks, Beavers or are doing some other, non-football activity. Portland is hipster mecca.
Actually lived in Hillsboro and worked downtown Portland for 4 1/2 years. Loved my time in Portland. Didn't rain enough so I moved to Seattle :) .
To an extent Portland State suffers from the same problem as Idaho. The fan base couldn't care less about most of the opponents. They are not even sure where they are located. I have a great friend in Eastern Washington, a former president of the Vandal club. He says the loss of rival regional opponents that had developed over the years will forever diminish Idaho fan interest and loyalty. No games vs. Huskys, Cougars, griz, Bobcats etc. Games vs. little known schools like LA Monroe, GA Southern, North Texas, Texas State, etc. hold little interest, especially when the Vandals keep losing to them. Like that, Portland area fans find little interest in teams like Davis, Weber, NAU, but old opponents like MSU and UM bring out 6-8,000 plus the traveling fan bases from relatively close by Montana. Someone already pointed out in the DII, Mouse Davis days PSU got pretty fine crowds. PSU is caught in the unenviable spot where they either move up, down or get out all together.

Bobcat Sig

Re: PSU Paid Attendance.....809

Post by Bobcat Sig » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
Bobcat Sig wrote:

Actually lived in Hillsboro and worked downtown Portland for 4 1/2 years. Loved my time in Portland. Didn't rain enough so I moved to Seattle :) .
To an extent Portland State suffers from the same problem as Idaho. The fan base couldn't care less about most of the opponents. They are not even sure where they are located. I have a great friend in Eastern Washington, a former president of the Vandal club. He says the loss of rival regional opponents that had developed over the years will forever diminish Idaho fan interest and loyalty. No games vs. Huskys, Cougars, griz, Bobcats etc. Games vs. little known schools like LA Monroe, GA Southern, North Texas, Texas State, etc. hold little interest, especially when the Vandals keep losing to them. Like that, Portland area fans find little interest in teams like Davis, Weber, NAU, but old opponents like MSU and UM bring out 6-8,000 plus the traveling fan bases from relatively close by Montana. Someone already pointed out in the DII, Mouse Davis days PSU got pretty fine crowds. PSU is caught in the unenviable spot where they either move up, down or get out all together.
Born and raisde there. :D
It has little to do with regional rivals and what not. It has everything to do with PSU student demographics, other sports teams and Portland as a city.

griz fans; keeping it classy and gracious in winning since ... well, never.